July 10th, 2008

Obama almost forgets Clinton

At a joint Wednesday fundraiser, Clinton nearly slipped Obama’s mind.
At a joint Wednesday fundraiser, Clinton nearly slipped Obama’s mind.

NEW YORK (CNN) – It was announced last week that Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton would attend a series of fundraisers in New York together, one to help pay down her campaign debt and the rest to help raise money for his White House bid.

But a busy day in the Senate delayed Obama in Washington, forcing him to combine two events into one where he was supposed to ask donors to help Clinton as well as contribute to his campaign.

Wednesday night, he praised Clinton as “extraordinary” and “tough” - but nearly forgot about her need for funds.

After wrapping up his speech to donors Wednesday evening with an emphatic, “We will change the world!”, Obama left the stage to loud music, only to re-appear minutes later to complete his duties.

“Hold on a second guys, I was getting all carried away. I’ve got one more thing that is important to do,” Obama said to a laughing audience. “Senator Clinton still has some debt. And I could have had some debt if I hadn’t won so I know the drill.”

He then asked donors to contribute to Clinton on the pledge cards under their seats, calling it “part of the process of making sure that we are unified moving forward.”

“That is very important to us, and obviously Senator Clinton would be grateful as well,” he added.

Clinton ended her campaign more than $20 million in debt. More than half of that is her own money, which she lent her campaign during the primaries but is not looking to recoup.

1. NotFallingInLine.org

Between this story and yesterday morning's story at the NYT (the one that got James Carville's blood boiling, which turned into him calling the morons at the Obama campaign "stupid" and "amateurs"), it sure looks like someone really want to push the tension between the Obama and the Clinton people angle!

Well, out here in the real world, THE TENSION EXISTS, IT WILL REMAIN, AND WE WILL BE HEARD IN NOVEMBER WHEN HE HAND OBAMA A MOST HUMILIATING ELECTORAL DEFEAT.

NFIL Democrat

July 10, 2008 09:55 am at 9:55 am |
  2. Pat-Pittsburgh

Oops!

Well that should tell you all you need to know, she is an after thought.

In that regard, he will be an after thought on November 4th, when I vote.

July 10, 2008 09:55 am at 9:55 am |
  3. No moral center

FISA: Obama=Bush

July 10, 2008 09:55 am at 9:55 am |
  4. JohnArk

I supported Hillary Clinton. She's an amazing person with a ton of experience and knowledge of our Country. I will be voting for Barack come election day. He's shown that he is a fighter and hopefully, we will see change.
    Obama/Clinton 08

July 10, 2008 09:55 am at 9:55 am |
  5. Lori

Egotistical, self-indulging, and pathetic. Please America, do not vote for this man, he is anything but presidential.

July 10, 2008 09:55 am at 9:55 am |
  6. R.I.F.

Another day, and another one that will be filled with ticker after ticker of Obama's every move while John McCain goes out and does whatever he wants including making very unfunny jokes about killing Iranians. The media is truly McCain's base.

July 10, 2008 09:55 am at 9:55 am |
  7. DJ in TX

Very unfortunate, but it should be harmless. Let's see what people start saying now.

It is time for the Democrats to unite. I know there are poeple out there who are still upset over the primary. I'll say again, turning to Senator McCain would be the last thing Senator Clinton would want them to do. If they really think that McCain won't try to change the Supreme Court, they really need to sit back and look at what he's said. There is a delicate balance right now, 4 left, 4 right and one independent. Personally I like it that way, no one side has a majority and a swing voter that will go different ways.

McCain wants to change that. All I'm saying is, please really think vs just voting out of anger.

July 10, 2008 09:56 am at 9:56 am |
  8. Brian Keith

LOL.. Priceless. More fodder for the PUMAS.

July 10, 2008 09:56 am at 9:56 am |
  9. Richard (from Puerto Rico)

My friends, you do not buy unity in any respect, you do it the old hard way, YOU ERAN IT. Democrats are suppose to be that, democrats regardless of who is running for the presidency. If Democrats want to win the W.H. they most vote democrat, you do not sell your vote nor any candidate shouldn't even think of buying votes. If the Hillary decmocrats really want a Republican Presdent? well then vote for McCain, which means you were never democrats, but republican dressed like dems or are stone bigots and recalcitrant racists or both.

July 10, 2008 09:56 am at 9:56 am |
  10. Rusty, Portland

Let's put Hillary's name into nomination at the convention-perhaps DEMS have had enough flip-flopping and pandering to whites--

July 10, 2008 09:56 am at 9:56 am |
  11. Linda

Of course, that is just, SOOO Obama. Everyone is there for HIM. He should be greatful the rest of us aren't like him, taking any opportunity to trash folks, like his latest putting down Americans for going to European countries and only being able to "say Merci Beucoup".

July 10, 2008 09:56 am at 9:56 am |
  12. Ray

All I can say is LOL

Obama 08

July 10, 2008 09:57 am at 9:57 am |
  13. Richard Johnston, Budd Lake, NJ

More and More I'm becoming disenchanted with Barack. This is just the most recent example of Barack changing who we thought he was. Since the outset I was an enthusiastic Obama supporter. Today I'm deeply disolousioned. I understand campaigns and his moving to the right to gain more support but he doesn't have to renege on everything that brought him support from life long middle of the road Democrats like me. For now I'm willing to concede he's just getting really bad advice which after working several state-wide campaigns in New Jersey I can understand how it can happen to a candidate....Hillary should be his best example of getting bad advice.

July 10, 2008 09:57 am at 9:57 am |
  14. anna

This is such a polarizing issue:
    Obama helping Clinton pay off a debt she incurred by staying in the race so long...
    I would like to offer something-
    Clinton had support from millions, and was begged by her supporters to keep fighting, which she did-even as party leaders asked her to concede.
    She/and her supporters are asking him to help alleviate this in exchange for their support of his candidacy, which they are reluctant to give because they feel strongly that she is the better candidate.
    If he thinks he can win without her, he might as well tell all of them to get lost.
    His response and effort to help her indicates he feels otherwise.
    So....are we coming together or arent we?

July 10, 2008 09:57 am at 9:57 am |
  15. Ms C

Can someone define talking white for me.
    I thought this country's language was ENLISH

HELLO

July 10, 2008 09:58 am at 9:58 am |
  16. Jon

If over half the $20 million is her own money that she isn't wanting to recoup, then she doesn't have $20 million in debt. Why does the media keep using that figure?

July 10, 2008 09:58 am at 9:58 am |
  17. Barack the Vote in RI

She recklesslessy mismanaged her campaign and this debt is HER problem....not his. He is being undeservingly gracious to her and her supporters should take note of this.

July 10, 2008 09:58 am at 9:58 am |
  18. D.

Oh come on. Like this is even remotely relevant. If Obama wants to raise money to cover Clinton's debt that's fine with me, but shouldn't the fact he decided to do that be enough? Why do people expect him to ingratiate himself with her, the candidate who LOST, every five seconds?

July 10, 2008 09:58 am at 9:58 am |
  19. David

I wonder what the conversation sounded like after he left the stage. Would have loved to be a fly on that wall.

July 10, 2008 09:58 am at 9:58 am |
  20. BW CINCINNATI

What a jerk. I am sure this will help us Clinton supporters move on to whole heartedly supporting Obama. This is too tight a race, to just "forget".

July 10, 2008 09:59 am at 9:59 am |
  21. saga4obama

on July 29th well will be remembering the men who lost there lives in 1967 aboard the USS Forrestal...may God bless those men. I urge all true Americans to find out the facts before you vote McCain.
    this may be a decision we wont be able to live with.
    dumpmccain.com

July 10, 2008 09:59 am at 9:59 am |
  22. Kathy in Oregon

No surprise here...it's ALL about him.

Obama is clearly PANDERING to Clinton voters by pretending to "help" her retire the debt. And it's insulting that he's doing such a LAME job of "helping". Why bother!

July 10, 2008 09:59 am at 9:59 am |
  23. Saad from NJ

That is so funny that I am on the floor laughing, unable to get up and unable to work. I may be fired.... Thanks to Obama and Clinton and then to CNN reporting it in such a funny way. LOL.

July 10, 2008 09:59 am at 9:59 am |
  24. MARYANN Oswego IL

If she were a man he would not have forgotten....his EGO is out of control

July 10, 2008 10:00 am at 10:00 am |
  25. jim

I am not an American, but can someone sincerely tell me why Obama should help clear the debt of an opponent who spent all her money mainly on negative adverts after realizing the maths was against her.
    Is that the philosophy of America elections?

July 10, 2008 10:00 am at 10:00 am |