July 10th, 2008

Obama almost forgets Clinton

At a joint Wednesday fundraiser, Clinton nearly slipped Obama’s mind.
At a joint Wednesday fundraiser, Clinton nearly slipped Obama’s mind.

NEW YORK (CNN) – It was announced last week that Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton would attend a series of fundraisers in New York together, one to help pay down her campaign debt and the rest to help raise money for his White House bid.

But a busy day in the Senate delayed Obama in Washington, forcing him to combine two events into one where he was supposed to ask donors to help Clinton as well as contribute to his campaign.

Wednesday night, he praised Clinton as “extraordinary” and “tough” - but nearly forgot about her need for funds.

After wrapping up his speech to donors Wednesday evening with an emphatic, “We will change the world!”, Obama left the stage to loud music, only to re-appear minutes later to complete his duties.

“Hold on a second guys, I was getting all carried away. I’ve got one more thing that is important to do,” Obama said to a laughing audience. “Senator Clinton still has some debt. And I could have had some debt if I hadn’t won so I know the drill.”

He then asked donors to contribute to Clinton on the pledge cards under their seats, calling it “part of the process of making sure that we are unified moving forward.”

“That is very important to us, and obviously Senator Clinton would be grateful as well,” he added.

Clinton ended her campaign more than $20 million in debt. More than half of that is her own money, which she lent her campaign during the primaries but is not looking to recoup.

1. simplyhuman, Ft. Myers

Belly up to the collection plate you guys!! Hillary and Bill need our help. Her book advance on: "How I became President" has been revoked. Heck they could be destitute if we don't help pay down their ridiculously large debt.

By the way...if you're still in a giving mood: check your local county public records for neighbors facing foreclosure. It would certainly be money "better" spent.

July 10, 2008 10:24 am at 10:24 am |
  2. Meh

Is this news? Really?

July 10, 2008 10:25 am at 10:25 am |
  3. Danny

This guy has big mouth and with the help of it, he wants to get his job done. He does not care for Hillary. Selfish inexperienced guy wants to become our President. No way. CNN, ou have deleted my messages several times. You must publish what we say. Do not be Barack's mouthpiece.

July 10, 2008 10:25 am at 10:25 am |
  4. Jeremy

He is a little forgetful... Sounds like someone who NEEDS Hillary Clinton around.... He probably walked back stage and seen her... just like he'll have to do in the oval office... SHE ROCKS!!

July 10, 2008 10:25 am at 10:25 am |
  5. Regan

She should have won.....enough said.

July 10, 2008 10:26 am at 10:26 am |
  6. stan

what a smart axx, this guy is just an elitist and he can not take Hillary at all, he has several 100 million in funds and he wants others to pay for hillary's debts, but wants her support, what a complete axx, just write a check for her and get it over with, stop trying to slap her around, you are going to be the big loser here,

July 10, 2008 10:27 am at 10:27 am |
  7. Becky

Here we go with the Hillraisers... "OMG Obama doesn't care about Hillary blah blah blah he's horrible." More will probably donate because of the spectacle so see some light in it.

July 10, 2008 10:27 am at 10:27 am |
  8. Bud

We're all trying to put the last twelve months of Hillary out of our minds.

I'm glad it's working.

July 10, 2008 10:28 am at 10:28 am |
  9. Glen in Laurel, MD

Headlines reflected things that happened.
    Then headlines could be wildly speculative questions.
    Now headlines can tell us what "almost" happened? That's news?

July 10, 2008 10:28 am at 10:28 am |
  10. Obama '08 in Little Rock

As a former newspaper reporter, I shout out that this is not a news story. It belongs in a grocery-store tabloid. CNN, stop being silly.

July 10, 2008 10:28 am at 10:28 am |
  11. Irene

This does not surprise me. He has become more and more arrogant and doesn't care what the people who supported Clinton want. Including voting for FISA. At least Senator Clintor did not fall for the Bush con. That was a terrible vote. I am very disapointed in Mr Obama.

July 10, 2008 10:28 am at 10:28 am |
  12. Glenn

I supported Clinton in her candidacy, but I'm uncomfortable with the idea that any donor should help her retire it.

When there are so many other democratic candidates running this cycle, I'd rather give my money, and rather have Obama's supporters give their money, to democrats who are still trying to get elected.

If I didn't feel that the Clinton campaign spent recklessly, maybe I'd feel differently. But I feel like donating more money to the Clinton Campaign now would be like condoning financial irresponsibility.

July 10, 2008 10:29 am at 10:29 am |
  13. Illinois

This guy forgets as quickly as he said! So sad !

July 10, 2008 10:30 am at 10:30 am |
  14. LynnB

Yes I know Obama – it is all about you the elitist. How convenient to forget about Hillary. Well guess what BArack, her supporters are forgetting about you – except we will NOT come back to the stage!!!!

July 10, 2008 10:30 am at 10:30 am |
  15. Joan

Mark Penn should just eat the debt Clinton owes him. He did such a terrible job, she (or, more accurately, we) shouldn't have to pay him.

July 10, 2008 10:30 am at 10:30 am |
  16. Karrie

The man’s running for the highest office in the land, but he has to also worry about begging for money for a rich woman or risk ticking some people off. This is the screwiest election that I can ever remember.

July 10, 2008 10:31 am at 10:31 am |
  17. right source

So has everybody else!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

July 10, 2008 10:31 am at 10:31 am |
  18. Bob

I find it offensive that the american people in todays economic climate are expected to pay for Senator Clinton's debt!
    Senator Clinton made personal decisions with regard to her finances to seek the democratic nomination.
    She should be responsible for the consequences of her ambition.

July 10, 2008 10:31 am at 10:31 am |
  19. FlVoter

Obama and the DNC have threatened Hillary will the removal of her name and a roll call at the Denver Convention if she doesn't pay off her debt by tomorrow July 11, 2008. She used to have until the convention, then it was July 14 and now its July 11. They are moving up the date because they are scared. The only way Obama can win anything is by forcing his opponents off the ticket.

He doesn't want her debt paid off and has not supported her efforts to reduce her debt so he can get her off the roll call in Denver. No other candidate except Hillary has been treated this way in the history of the Democratic Party.

July 10, 2008 10:31 am at 10:31 am |
  20. blue

Are you kidding me? You mean there is nothing for you to right about.? Boy the media is really a joke to actually turn this into news. Give it a rest. Next you guys will right about him going to the bathroom. Here i am thinking that he forgot to have her at the function. PUH-LEEEZ!

July 10, 2008 10:31 am at 10:31 am |
  21. Virginia Dad

Geez, cnn, stop trying to ignite another Clinton/Obama fight.

Believe it or not, Obama is running against McCain now. Maybe you should cover that race.

July 10, 2008 10:32 am at 10:32 am |
  22. Gene

If I was Clinton and and he treated me that way, I would go to my supporters, ask them to help me retire my debt, and annouce I was going to take my nomination to the convention. Win, lose or draw and if he did win the nomination, it just might sink him in the fall, or the delegates might just see what an arrogant fool he is and what bad judgement he has, nominate Hillary Clinton. My wife is a PUMA and at this point their is no way she is going to vote for Obama.

July 10, 2008 10:32 am at 10:32 am |
  23. joe

You bet Obama - you go change the world with your new politics. I have never been so disgusted and saddened by my country in my entire life...adult and before...this rock star ego is so out of control and the kool-aid drinkers have gone nuts. A sad day for America.

July 10, 2008 10:32 am at 10:32 am |
  24. Chris from San Antonio

Why is Obama responsible for Hillary's debt?

When it was mathematically impossible for her to win, she still loaned herself money and spent millions to try and ruin Obama's run.
    Let the "18 million strong" pay for her mistakes.

July 10, 2008 10:32 am at 10:32 am |
  25. Sean from Orlando

That is fine because it is going to be even more easier for the large number of Clinton fans who feel that Obama was hand selected by the DNC and did not actually win, particularly FL and MI voters who were punished with their voice by the DNC for the actions of their party leaders in those states, to vote for McCain in the fall. Obama let voters be counted as half voters, not at all, or have their Clinton vote changed to him just so he could win. He did not stand up for voters rights and won in the same way Bush did. The only way Obama was going to get the votes of many people I know here in Orlando was to pick Hillary as his VP anyway, and some of those people plan on voting McCain even if he does pick Hillary. I have seen nothing out of Obama since he was hand selected by the DNC, except for flip-flopping on various key issues, he decided to forego public funding, and I do not care so much about that as I do that he is a man that stands behind his word, and Obama has proven to be a liar in this. He would choose to take more money from voters who cannot even pay for their gas, rent or food, Americans that make the same kind of money they did back in 1997, but everything costs so much more. He chooses this when there was a set amount of public financing that would give him the same advantage as McCain. I think it is sad Obama would choose to take from struggling people for unfair gain. I am also not impressed with his shift on NAFTA, and since he was hand selected, his tone on the War has changed. He is not saying the same things now as he was before, and he has tried to do it in a subtle way, but now he is putting it about like McCain does, that we have to withdraw responsibly, that we cannot just leave, ect. I see Obama now as someone who will say whatever to get elected no matter his true intentions! I think it is getting easier and easier to want to vote for McCain as a Democrat as this goes on and I am not alone, look online at the large and growing number of sites with large followings of Dems for McCain. Also, your polls are not too accurate. I know tons of Dems here in FL that do not plan on voting for Obama, and when I ask around if any of them have taken CNN polls they all say no. In fact I have yet to meet one person here in FL that has taken your polls, so your poll numbers on Dems for McCain are defiantly drastically off.

July 10, 2008 10:32 am at 10:32 am |