July 10th, 2008

Obama almost forgets Clinton

At a joint Wednesday fundraiser, Clinton nearly slipped Obama’s mind.
At a joint Wednesday fundraiser, Clinton nearly slipped Obama’s mind.

NEW YORK (CNN) – It was announced last week that Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton would attend a series of fundraisers in New York together, one to help pay down her campaign debt and the rest to help raise money for his White House bid.

But a busy day in the Senate delayed Obama in Washington, forcing him to combine two events into one where he was supposed to ask donors to help Clinton as well as contribute to his campaign.

Wednesday night, he praised Clinton as “extraordinary” and “tough” - but nearly forgot about her need for funds.

After wrapping up his speech to donors Wednesday evening with an emphatic, “We will change the world!”, Obama left the stage to loud music, only to re-appear minutes later to complete his duties.

“Hold on a second guys, I was getting all carried away. I’ve got one more thing that is important to do,” Obama said to a laughing audience. “Senator Clinton still has some debt. And I could have had some debt if I hadn’t won so I know the drill.”

He then asked donors to contribute to Clinton on the pledge cards under their seats, calling it “part of the process of making sure that we are unified moving forward.”

“That is very important to us, and obviously Senator Clinton would be grateful as well,” he added.

Clinton ended her campaign more than $20 million in debt. More than half of that is her own money, which she lent her campaign during the primaries but is not looking to recoup.

1. carl

When I left $1000. @ a casino in Vegas last week, I didn't go ask the management for donations towards my losses. My advice to Hill, " If you can't take the pain, don't play the game"

July 10, 2008 07:56 am at 7:56 am |
  2. No He Didn't!

Well, there goes unity out the door! How could he forget! He's got to do better if he is going to win her supporters.

July 10, 2008 07:58 am at 7:58 am |
  3. Anonymous

Not sure how this qualifies as a news story.

July 10, 2008 07:58 am at 7:58 am |
  4. Dee Dee

People decided him over her so why would you expect them to pay off her debt? She knew she was vbroke and stayed anyway. I think the Clinton supporters should pay the everyday vendors they owe first and then promise to divide the remainder among the others.

I wish I could go on vacation, stay as long as I decide and the bill is paid by other Americans. Will you pay for my vacation next year? I am asking in advanced not after the events.

July 10, 2008 07:59 am at 7:59 am |
  5. Boomer

I have some debt too.. Do you think Obama could pay it off for me? I really really really like him!

July 10, 2008 08:00 am at 8:00 am |
  6. Joanne Harrison

I am a retired public school teacher who was excited about Sen. Obama's candidacy for the presidency. For several months I sent in a donation each month to help his campaign. Now that his funds are being used to pay Hillary Clinton's debt, I did not donate in July. I cannot justify sacrificing from my wallet to help Hillary pay debts she chose to take on for her stubborn campaign which was very hurtful to the Democratic effort. Her behavior since suspending her campaign has been quite gracious. I encourage her to be as gracious about her losses, under the circumstances. The Clintons are rich enough to absorb Hillary's debt. Although I am perfectly willing to help Obama with his expenses, I do not intend to open my meager wallet to help her pay what she owes.

July 10, 2008 08:03 am at 8:03 am |
  7. Bryan

Wow CNN...what a facile attempt to stir up controversy.

July 10, 2008 08:03 am at 8:03 am |
  8. larry mn

Old Hillary is pretty much forgetable, should give everyone an idea as to how close they really are? What else will he not remember to do? He is so caught up in himself that he is destined to failure.

July 10, 2008 08:03 am at 8:03 am |
  9. john

Is John McCain running for President also? We want some JM news. Give us details about his service? Did he rat on America when he was a POW? Did JM ever have a shrink? Is JM moving to the right or the center?

July 10, 2008 08:03 am at 8:03 am |
  10. Jim - Wisconsin

I can see why he forgot. How often do you worry/care about someone elses debt? Plus $12 million of that was her own money. Once she gets $8 million she should be satisfied.

OBAMA 08/12

July 10, 2008 08:04 am at 8:04 am |
  11. Nicholas

He didn't almost forget about Clinton. He forgot to ask donors to help with her debt that she stupidly accrued because she didn't know how to get past her ego. Quit with the misleading titles. Learn how to report news without worrying about what will get the best ratings.

July 10, 2008 08:04 am at 8:04 am |
  12. Alice in Florida

"Carried away" AGAIN?????? Just like when skunk in a suit pimped out his daughters!!!!! WoW!!!

I wish someone would carry Oblahblah FAR FAR FAR AWAY, so we never have to be subjected to his ego, his big boring flip-flopping mouth, his endless speeches, and his disgusting racist wife again!!!!

July 10, 2008 08:04 am at 8:04 am |
  13. Go McCain

And you all are worried about McCain's age causing him to be "forgetful"? Obama's ego takes up too much of his brain and prevents him from being effective

July 10, 2008 08:04 am at 8:04 am |
  14. Melissa, New York, NY

I would hardly say that he "forgot Clinton." CNN, please stop trying to sensationalize things. What is it going to take to bring the media back down to earth??

July 10, 2008 08:05 am at 8:05 am |
  15. Jeff

Oh barf. Obama is attempting to purchase the support of Clinton supporters and not even doing a very good job of it. There are many of us that can’t be purchased, we would prefer straight answers. Obama has done a very good job of orchestrating his image, he has written a few very self serving books, made a few good speeches and done a great job of avoiding controversial issues. Obama will do and say anything to get elected. I believe the truth to be that Obama does not have the best interests of the nation in mind. Obama is running on ambition ego and avarice. I will be staying home in the fall, but it will be interesting to watch. The choices we have this election season are absurd.

July 10, 2008 08:05 am at 8:05 am |
  16. Lisa

Wow that's exactly why Jesse Jackson threw him under the bus.

July 10, 2008 08:05 am at 8:05 am |
  17. Clinton Supporter Now for McCain!

"Oh Yeah, I forgot, please give money to my former opponent. Yada, Yada, Yada, you know the drill" YES WE CAN!

Way to go Obama. We Clinton supporters will never vote for you!

HRC 2012

July 10, 2008 08:06 am at 8:06 am |
  18. Tim

Is John McSame a flip flopper??? Let's see...

McCain will repeal the AMT. Wait, no ...
    ...not exactly. The presidential candidate has been saying he would eliminate the so-called "wealth tax" that threatens the non-wealthy. But now he supports a more modified plan.

That's not only a flip flop, it a half gainer with a full twist!!!! LOL!!!!

July 10, 2008 08:06 am at 8:06 am |
  19. PSK

I'm thinking to myself that Sen. Clinton will NOT be the next VP- just a guess, mind you.

July 10, 2008 08:06 am at 8:06 am |
  20. RC

People. Don't put all of the importance on Obama or Hillary or McCain.
    It we, us, who is most important. We make the difference. Those three... That's just three votes.
    Yes We Can!!

July 10, 2008 08:06 am at 8:06 am |
  21. Tom - Cary, NC

To paraphrase Winston Churchill, we now know what Hilary is.... and that her price is $10 million.

July 10, 2008 08:06 am at 8:06 am |
  22. Kevin

Everyone knows and it is no secret Obama just cares about himself. He is being forced to help her pay off debt because if not she will not support him and he can kiss her supporters goodbye. I sure hope Cliton supporters are not fooled and actually vote for this phony!

July 10, 2008 08:07 am at 8:07 am |
  23. Anonymous

the fake puma republicans will have a field day with this!!!!

July 10, 2008 08:08 am at 8:08 am |
  24. Lisa

Hillary I don't know why you're hanging out with this guy.

July 10, 2008 08:08 am at 8:08 am |
  25. glenn

Looks like even jesse jackson doesn't like or trust Obama.
    Maybe we shouled put Hillary back on the top of the ticket.
    scary isn't it