July 10th, 2008

Obama almost forgets Clinton

At a joint Wednesday fundraiser, Clinton nearly slipped Obama’s mind.
At a joint Wednesday fundraiser, Clinton nearly slipped Obama’s mind.

NEW YORK (CNN) – It was announced last week that Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton would attend a series of fundraisers in New York together, one to help pay down her campaign debt and the rest to help raise money for his White House bid.

But a busy day in the Senate delayed Obama in Washington, forcing him to combine two events into one where he was supposed to ask donors to help Clinton as well as contribute to his campaign.

Wednesday night, he praised Clinton as “extraordinary” and “tough” - but nearly forgot about her need for funds.

After wrapping up his speech to donors Wednesday evening with an emphatic, “We will change the world!”, Obama left the stage to loud music, only to re-appear minutes later to complete his duties.

“Hold on a second guys, I was getting all carried away. I’ve got one more thing that is important to do,” Obama said to a laughing audience. “Senator Clinton still has some debt. And I could have had some debt if I hadn’t won so I know the drill.”

He then asked donors to contribute to Clinton on the pledge cards under their seats, calling it “part of the process of making sure that we are unified moving forward.”

“That is very important to us, and obviously Senator Clinton would be grateful as well,” he added.

Clinton ended her campaign more than $20 million in debt. More than half of that is her own money, which she lent her campaign during the primaries but is not looking to recoup.

1. Barack Obush

We won't forget.

July 10, 2008 10:38 am at 10:38 am |
  2. Perspicacious Chicagoan

When did CNN become ANN? The "Almost News Network"?

July 10, 2008 10:38 am at 10:38 am |
  3. Susan PA

I guarantee that NOBODY here who is criticizing Obama for this has actually dug into their wallets to donate to Clinton.

Put your money where your mouth is, Pumas.

July 10, 2008 10:38 am at 10:38 am |
  4. Richard (from Puerto Rico)

Here I have to take my hat off to Jesse Jackson Jr. This is a man with stature, telling his father how dissappointed in him he is for his harmfull crude remarks on Obama. To me it sounds like an envious person who could not achieve his goal of becoming the first black President. I think he, Jesse Jackson Sr. has a lot to work on about his inner feelings on the race issues. True he lived the hardships of the misstreatment of the black people in the old and not so old days. There is still a lot of work to do yet, but to achieve this you must rid yourself of those yesteryear feelings. I also understand that it is not an easy endeauvor, but it is past due time to start healing on both sides, blacks as well as whites. If the American people, mind you I say all American people. The U.S.A. will begin a downfall that will not be an easy task to stop. I hope the American people will be thoughtful of this. And before I conclude, just look at all the economy we are shipping out to China and the middle east, and all the money we are borrowing from China, something never, never seen nor done before.

July 10, 2008 10:39 am at 10:39 am |
  5. sarah

I don't understand why she's asking or expecting people to help her with this debt. She stayed in the race on her own judgment. If she didn't have the funds to do it, why was she even there?

Her choice, her consequences.

July 10, 2008 10:39 am at 10:39 am |
  6. Woman4Obama

Yesterday began with a New York Times article noting how big Clinton donors were upset that Obama’s folks weren’t doing more to help retire Hillary’s debt.
    ********************************************************

Come on folks, really? What's Obama going to do, FORCE his supporters to pay off the Clinton's debt? The last time that I checked, they knew full well going into an election that money can be an issue. Then Hillary VOLUNTARILY loaned her campaign money – which is a risk no matter how you look at it.

It's NOT Obama's fault that the Clinton's have some debt left over after the campaign. Sure, he can try to persuade his supporters to help pay it down – but there is only so much that he can do.

July 10, 2008 10:39 am at 10:39 am |
  7. Dave

Eh, of all the things to pick on Obama for, this isn't one.

He has a lot of other things on his mind like accusations of flip-flopping about the war, his kids' TV appearance flap and the whole Jesse Jackson mess. Not too mention older things that people still remember like Rev. Wright and the presidential Obama seal.

July 10, 2008 10:40 am at 10:40 am |
  8. IGA

OBAMA ALMOST FORGET CLINTON. CNN THIS IS NO NEWS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

U ALWAYS LOOK FOR AN ERRO TO MAKE THIS MAN LOOK BAD!!!!!!!!!!!

EVERY BODY EVEN MAC CAIN KNOW HOW GOOD THIS MAN (OBAMA) IS BUT BEING WHOM HE IS HE CANT ADMIT THAT.

A MAN OF 71 YEARS DOE HE STILL HAVE FUTURE? HE IS ONLY LOOKING FOR WAR ANG REVENGE .

OBAMA IS THE MAN OF OF THE MONENT NOT A LIAR THAT LIED TO HIS WIFE THE FIRST TIME THEY MET NOT KNOWING THAT THE WOMAN LIARS ALSO

July 10, 2008 10:40 am at 10:40 am |
  9. Anonymous

Obama knows he is the second best democratic nominee, and he needs Hillary's supporters. Already, he is backtracking on so-called pledges he has made, and people will soon realize that experience do matter. How many years does he have in the Senate? Was he even there to matter when the vote on Iraq was cast? If his vote did matter, it would have been "abstain".

July 10, 2008 10:41 am at 10:41 am |
  10. Real person for Obama.

Well it happens after lots of events and more to come, one may foreget one thing.

Hey, I don't know why they put it around Obama Hillary's debt. Could there be another way to pay down her debt?

It is very hard to combine funding to his campaign and fund to pay down debt acrude by another candidate.

I hate to say this, but if Hillary has listened to people this wold not have happened. It was mathematical imposible for her to clinch the nomination, but yet she continued spending money that she didn't have.

For the sake of unity Obama has shown leadership in that regard to help her fund to pay down her debt. I heard both him and his wife contributed $7,000.00 mix any one person could donate to her.

July 10, 2008 10:41 am at 10:41 am |
  11. Wesley Widlend

This isn't a smooth move for a candidate who prides himself on his intellect and ran on a campaign of unity.

July 10, 2008 10:41 am at 10:41 am |
  12. Andy

Now if the country just forgot about both of them I'd be happy.

July 10, 2008 10:41 am at 10:41 am |
  13. Why

I don't get why people are still paying for her failed attempt. I thought she was all about helping the little guy. So why not just eat the debt herself since she can afford it, and give the little guy supporters a break?

July 10, 2008 10:41 am at 10:41 am |
  14. GM

Once again, kudos to these two for trying to act like mature adults, at a time when too many of their respective supporters remain mentally stuck in preschool !!!

July 10, 2008 10:42 am at 10:42 am |
  15. Cynthia

I'm glad he is asking his big donors to help and hope that they will. But, you would think that the PUMAs who seem to be so against Senator Obama would pay her debt.

July 10, 2008 10:42 am at 10:42 am |
  16. Belle2

All you Obama fans, this is why Clinton supporters see him as arrogant and see his actions as insidious attacks. He performed his duties, per their agreement, but put his little twist on those actions-she is not so important and I don't really care if you contribute or not but I am fulfilling my agreement. I think you Obama fans see this too, you simply want to believe it is right-it is wrong and it points out that he is arrogant and pompous.

That said, I am going to agree with you Obama fans on another point. I was never planning to contribute to Obama. Though you are wrong on another point. I might vote for him if I could see him as trustworthy instead of such a pompous, arrogant phony. As it stands now, I believe McCain (with all his faults) will be the better President.

I am not sure why Obama fans refuse to believe another Democrat could possible disagree with them or believe we are not sincere when we say we see an arrogant, inexperienced, do-nothing, say-anything typical politican when we look at Obama.

July 10, 2008 10:42 am at 10:42 am |
  17. Alex

NOT FUNNY. Especially when my vote will now go to mccain

July 10, 2008 10:43 am at 10:43 am |
  18. Fred up north

Am not touching this one !

July 10, 2008 10:43 am at 10:43 am |
  19. bobie

no wonder clinton fans don't like obama

July 10, 2008 10:44 am at 10:44 am |
  20. Thomas Happ

It is important that we blow this out of proportion.

July 10, 2008 10:44 am at 10:44 am |
  21. Pol

I thought that financially she and her family is doing quit well, at least better than mine. What happened? Oh, I know, she spent all her money in Puerto-Rico this summer.

July 10, 2008 10:44 am at 10:44 am |
  22. Janice hewett

let her spend her own money I would never give the Clintons one penny

July 10, 2008 10:44 am at 10:44 am |
  23. Last Honest Man

His dribble is pathetic

July 10, 2008 10:44 am at 10:44 am |
  24. Vik

This clearly demonstrates Obama's condescending attitude towards the amazing campaign that Hillary Clinton has run, and his plain elitism. The only way he'll win favor of American people is by having her on the ticket.

Obama/Clinton '08 or McCain '08

July 10, 2008 10:44 am at 10:44 am |
  25. Isaac

Clearly Obama is working hard to make sure the Party is together, he could have walked out & not men up to the fact that he forgot but he came back & that is respectable, Hats of for that.

July 10, 2008 10:44 am at 10:44 am |