July 10th, 2008

Obama almost forgets Clinton

At a joint Wednesday fundraiser, Clinton nearly slipped Obama’s mind.
At a joint Wednesday fundraiser, Clinton nearly slipped Obama’s mind.

NEW YORK (CNN) – It was announced last week that Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton would attend a series of fundraisers in New York together, one to help pay down her campaign debt and the rest to help raise money for his White House bid.

But a busy day in the Senate delayed Obama in Washington, forcing him to combine two events into one where he was supposed to ask donors to help Clinton as well as contribute to his campaign.

Wednesday night, he praised Clinton as “extraordinary” and “tough” - but nearly forgot about her need for funds.

After wrapping up his speech to donors Wednesday evening with an emphatic, “We will change the world!”, Obama left the stage to loud music, only to re-appear minutes later to complete his duties.

“Hold on a second guys, I was getting all carried away. I’ve got one more thing that is important to do,” Obama said to a laughing audience. “Senator Clinton still has some debt. And I could have had some debt if I hadn’t won so I know the drill.”

“That is very important to us, and obviously Senator Clinton would be grateful as well,” he added.

Clinton ended her campaign more than $20 million in debt. More than half of that is her own money, which she lent her campaign during the primaries but is not looking to recoup.

1. Tom St. Louis

Right...he "forgot". Is Obama going back on another promise?

July 10, 2008 10:54 am at 10:54 am |
  2. andrew

and why is this news
    you guys are complete moreons
    whats more important is John McCain ovestating his war record as a senator e.g. he voted against increasing health care funding for veterans in 2004, 2005, 2006 and 2007 especially when we had troops coming back from 2 wars....report that story where he claims tha he has a perfect voting record at a town hall meeting on Monday June 7

Disabled American Veterans gave him a 20% rating out of a 100
    Sen Obama had a 80% rating
    Iraq and Afghan Veterans gave him a D in contrast Sen Obama got a B
    Yet he keeps claiming he has a perfect voting record

you idiots

July 10, 2008 10:54 am at 10:54 am |
  3. Nishesh from SC

This is getting ridiculous. How does Sen. Obama excpect support of those like me who voted for Sen. Clinton in the primaries? If he doesn't put Sen Clinton on the ticket, who will he? Maybe he'll forget to appoint a running mate, so he can be suprme ruler. Oops, he forgot, that's illegal.

July 10, 2008 10:54 am at 10:54 am |
  4. Texas Voter

Pretty Sad! Clinton donors say they will not donate to Obama. Truth is, they did not really help financially support Clinton's run either. Do Clinton donors have the money? Sounds like these Clinton supporters are all talk and not action. I know there are some who have given the maximum, but what about the other thousands of voters who voted for Clinton? They want to start all of these anti-Obama groups, perhaps they should charge for membership and donate the money to Clinton's debt.

July 10, 2008 10:55 am at 10:55 am |
  5. GERALD STROTHER

GO OBAMA !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

July 10, 2008 10:56 am at 10:56 am |
  6. PUMA for BARR

Shame for Clinton, vote for Barr.

July 10, 2008 10:57 am at 10:57 am |
  7. Can we just be American?

Hey it happens – no harm no foul he asked for donations on Hillary behalf... he is such a unifier!

Obama 08

July 10, 2008 10:57 am at 10:57 am |
  8. Joe

It seems Barack also forgot that he said he was against FISA and now he voted for it. What a joke. This is coming from an Obama supporter, but I'm kinda irritated and disgusted that he voted in favor of illegal wiretapping. I see Barack now as nothing more than the typical Washington politician. I may still vote for him, but I will never see him as the agent of change he was seemed to be. I wish I wasn't this naive in the primaries!!!

July 10, 2008 10:57 am at 10:57 am |
  9. John Lewis

what happened to I love Clinton Candy Crowley?

July 10, 2008 10:58 am at 10:58 am |
  10. Alexis Lott

This is a great article, i know that obama is doing great keep it up.

July 10, 2008 10:58 am at 10:58 am |
  11. IN IT Together!!!

Obama--He then asked donors to contribute to Clinton on the pledge cards under their seats, calling it “part of the process of making sure that we are unified moving forward.” That is all he can do is ask............TO the die hard HRC supporters .....you guys should have this $$$..wrapped up by now .....making contributions instead of spreading hate this matter would be resolved.I am a true DEMOCRATIC FOREVER.........I have made a healthy contribution toward Senator Clinton's debt and proud of it. Let's go DEMS!!!.

July 10, 2008 10:58 am at 10:58 am |
  12. Stewart

I find it ridiculous that Clinton supporters insist that Barack help pay her debt. Why exactly? Her and her husband are plenty wealthy, they don't need ordinary American paying off tabs they themselves ran up doing everything they could to undercut and discredit Obama's campaign.

July 10, 2008 10:58 am at 10:58 am |
  13. Doug R

I still don't understand why citizens–regardless of whether they support Obama or Clinton–are being asked to pay off the campaign debt of a multi-millionaire. Senator Clinton made a poor financial decision: Continue to run a primary campaign despite not having enough outside funding to do so. Why should any of us be responsible for covering her debt when she has more than enough money to cover it and is only in debt because of her own decision?

July 10, 2008 10:58 am at 10:58 am |
  14. Bob

Man, I need a job where I can be bailed for my failures. Good deal.

July 10, 2008 10:58 am at 10:58 am |
  15. Esther

Let her just write another book and call it even and the price it cost to be an american

July 10, 2008 10:58 am at 10:58 am |
  16. Choirboy

Ooopsie, Barry,
    Your stentorian orations are getting sillier and sillier. "We will change the world"???? What the.....? You can't even remember what you're doing while you're doing it much less change the world, you nutcase.
    Lord, Lord, Lord, you don't have a copy of "My Pet Goat:" do you?

July 10, 2008 10:59 am at 10:59 am |
  17. SD

Must not have been on the Teleprompter!

July 10, 2008 10:59 am at 10:59 am |
  18. JE

Senator Obama, should be doing more than paying lip service to Senator Clinton. He should be worried that lifetime democrats, educated and informed voters do not have faith in his seemingly empty message of "change." I for one, am considering not voting for the first time in my life as he is doing nothing to win me over after losing Hillary as the best candidate.

July 10, 2008 11:00 am at 11:00 am |
  19. Barbara

Obama – there you go again, it's all about you!

July 10, 2008 11:01 am at 11:01 am |
  20. dennis from chicago

big ego small heart.... what goes around comes around... good luck hillary....2012

July 10, 2008 11:01 am at 11:01 am |
  21. Eric

I am a Clinton supporter.... all I can say is that I am voting Republican this year. I will NOT give my vote to Obama, nor my family, nor my friends.

July 10, 2008 11:01 am at 11:01 am |
  22. Lee

"Obama left the stage to loud music, only to re-appear minutes later to complete his duties."

These are colored facts – I was also in the room, Mr. Marquardt.

Senator Obama took a few steps from the spot that he spoke in, came back, cut the music to near silence, and spoke to about 97% of the people who sat through the stump speech. This was a good 30 seconds after the speech ended, max. He did not 're-appear minutes later' – he immediately interrupted the crowd let out and insisted that the everyone listen. He instructed the crowd to fill out donation forms that were placed under every chair before the event, and said that reconciling Senator Clinton's debt meant very much to him personally.

July 10, 2008 11:01 am at 11:01 am |
  23. Shannon Shiflett

She has debt because she couldn't run a campaign. Let her pay off her own debt. She has $110 million. I have to pay off MY own debt and I have substantially less net worth, thank you. I love it when an elite begs me for money ha ha ha get real people

July 10, 2008 11:02 am at 11:02 am |
  24. Mj

As usual, Obama treats women as dirt.

July 10, 2008 11:02 am at 11:02 am |
  25. beth

Another example of why this Clinton supporter will never vote for Obama

July 10, 2008 11:02 am at 11:02 am |