July 10th, 2008

Obama almost forgets Clinton

At a joint Wednesday fundraiser, Clinton nearly slipped Obama’s mind.
At a joint Wednesday fundraiser, Clinton nearly slipped Obama’s mind.

NEW YORK (CNN) – It was announced last week that Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton would attend a series of fundraisers in New York together, one to help pay down her campaign debt and the rest to help raise money for his White House bid.

But a busy day in the Senate delayed Obama in Washington, forcing him to combine two events into one where he was supposed to ask donors to help Clinton as well as contribute to his campaign.

Wednesday night, he praised Clinton as “extraordinary” and “tough” - but nearly forgot about her need for funds.

After wrapping up his speech to donors Wednesday evening with an emphatic, “We will change the world!”, Obama left the stage to loud music, only to re-appear minutes later to complete his duties.

“Hold on a second guys, I was getting all carried away. I’ve got one more thing that is important to do,” Obama said to a laughing audience. “Senator Clinton still has some debt. And I could have had some debt if I hadn’t won so I know the drill.”

He then asked donors to contribute to Clinton on the pledge cards under their seats, calling it “part of the process of making sure that we are unified moving forward.”

“That is very important to us, and obviously Senator Clinton would be grateful as well,” he added.

Clinton ended her campaign more than $20 million in debt. More than half of that is her own money, which she lent her campaign during the primaries but is not looking to recoup.

1. Yeah Right!

Keep up the good work there Obama. You are truly one of the best with the $2.00 words. The old gray mair ain't what she use to be. In fact she never was. Hillary backers still think with you driving and her pulling the wagon that it would be a great team. Yeah right, like a dog and a cat raging war on one another. Can Obama blow a little more smoke for us?

McCain 2008

July 10, 2008 08:23 am at 8:23 am |
  2. Tim S

Hillary has become McCain's best friend. After slandering Obama in fine Rovian fashion, she reluctantly agrees to "support" his campaign....as long as he pays off her debts. Meanwhile, some of her loud-mouthed "supporters" are in a snit at her loss, so they are pledging support to McCain and his absolutely polar-opposite policies. Principals aside girls...he took Hillary's candicacy....... Heck-of-a-job Hilly.

July 10, 2008 08:24 am at 8:24 am |
  3. Bill

And this is the guy people want to be president. God help us.

July 10, 2008 08:24 am at 8:24 am |
  4. mary

Really? the egomaniac who uses his small children as political props forgot someone else? don't worry, Barackie, I won't forget to vote for McCain.

July 10, 2008 08:24 am at 8:24 am |
  5. bern

He also forgot who brung him to the dance yesterday. I hope his memory, as well as the other democrats who caved in to Bush, improves fast. Very fast.

July 10, 2008 08:24 am at 8:24 am |
  6. nic

and here comes the obama haters that oh he forgot clinton and he is so full of himself..blah blah blah...wah wah wah..oh yeah and they are going to call this staement ive made hateful and devisive ..

obama has 18 million supporters and that is enough to win the GE ..

I noticed that the Obama and Clinton are 98% the same in the issues that matter education ,health care ,the works but hilary is only the same in 1 thing with macain ..and maybe thats why all those clinton suporters want him..

You now what that one thing is
    You sure u wanna know .
    They are both white and thats the only similarity..
    Someone go figure..
    but they are gonna say im hateful and devisive any way

July 10, 2008 08:25 am at 8:25 am |
  7. Sarah

What a jerk this guy is. It just goes to show all of that talk praising Hillary was just talk. I hope he loses in November.

July 10, 2008 08:25 am at 8:25 am |
  8. Christopher

I am an Obama supporter and will be sending money to pay down Hillary's debt. Regardless of how I feel about this I want Senator Obama to be the next President of the United States. Pay her debt? OK! sign me up!

July 10, 2008 08:25 am at 8:25 am |
  9. Tanya, Miami Mom

It's so great that he waits till the end to add that in....
    Wouln't it be nice if we all could forget the national nightmare that hbillarys campaign was? I'm certainly not going to donate any more money to Obama's website now that I know it's going to pay off the debt of a corrupt millionaire poilitical family's debt. I already pay enough in taxes where the Paris Hilton gets permanent tax cuts and I have to sell my house!! Where's the change we've been promised...

July 10, 2008 08:25 am at 8:25 am |
  10. Anonymous

Hillary please drop this guy. He does not deserve you. He is using you just like he has used everyone and everything else in his premature grab for power. He still has not shown Hillary or her supporters any real respect. This man is a flip flopping liar who will do or say anything to win. Life long Dem who will never vote for this shyster.

July 10, 2008 08:26 am at 8:26 am |
  11. Jared

Sen. Obama is not a rock star.
    I found his "Encore" pompous and more proof that his Ego is bigger than his actions.
    I find it amazing that people are so easily brought into cults.
    Listen closely to what he says, which is nothing. Matches his commitment to his senate duties,
    And listen closely to how he says it, hypnotic with a dose of NLP.

If I knew what Sen. Obama actually stands for, maybe I would vote for him....

July 10, 2008 08:26 am at 8:26 am |
  12. Obama is all about Obama

Mr Self centered strikes again. This little slip up should not surprise anyone. To all loyal Clinton supporters – DO NOT VOTE FOR OBAMA DO NOT HELP HIS CAMPAIGH. The best thing you can do for the country is either stay home on election day or vote for McCain.

July 10, 2008 08:27 am at 8:27 am |
  13. Jason

If Clinton's financial investment in her campaign had put her in the Oval Office, would she have eventually shared her millions from doing post-presidency book deals and speaking engagements with her donors that also invested in the campaign? Absolutely not!

The current trend is that the rich are getting richer and the poor are getting poorer. A contribution to Hillary's unsuccessful campaign will only result in one more example of that trend.

Sorry Hillary, but your lack of financial prudence is leaving you a little less rich. And thank goodness you didn't get a chance to push the US government any closer to bankruptcy than it already is.

July 10, 2008 08:27 am at 8:27 am |
  14. Tasha Houston, TX

I don't think he should have to retire her debt. He needs all of this money for the general election campaign. I think this speaks volumes about Sen. Clinton, that she expects him to do this, knowing the battle he is about to face. Well, she did run a SELFISH campaign, so I really shouldn't expect any different.

July 10, 2008 08:27 am at 8:27 am |
  15. NLC frm New York

If Senator Obama forgot that improtant issue what else will he forgets when he is in the White House

July 10, 2008 08:28 am at 8:28 am |
  16. dyoungm

Let Clinton use some of that 150 million earned last year privately to pay her debt. That's what I have to do. She ran her campaign long after an obvious loss and thus should have to pay for the bad judgement.

July 10, 2008 08:28 am at 8:28 am |
  17. Mike in PA

Of course people are going to fault him for this because they can't come up with any real concrete reasons to do so. But whatever, so he forgot, its not like he did it on intentionally.

July 10, 2008 08:29 am at 8:29 am |
  18. Ben

So I guess you could say: "This barely qualifies as news!"

July 10, 2008 08:29 am at 8:29 am |
  19. JFK

Yes, his speeches tend to get "carried away" frequently. Unless Clinton is VP he can forget my vote. I still go for the best candidate based on experience and who is truly best fit for the job. She addes more credentials to his desperately lacking resume.

July 10, 2008 08:29 am at 8:29 am |
  20. Mike in PA

Of course people are going to fault him for this because they can't come up with any real concrete reasons to do so. But whatever, so he forgot, its not like he did it intentionally.

July 10, 2008 08:29 am at 8:29 am |
  21. andy

CNN, this headline is ridiculous. We know you want nothing more that to stir up more antagonism among Clinton and Obama supporters, but, aside from a few McCain interns posing as Pumas, we're all on the same team. Get with the program.Stop trying to egg on a fight within the Democratic party. It's irresponsible journalism.

Maybe you should mention how John McCain's economic plan is totally bogus, or the fact that McCain's spanish language ad got all its facts free. Or would that actually require reporting the news?

July 10, 2008 08:29 am at 8:29 am |
  22. Linda

Laura Bush would explain it as being caught up in a moment, and something anyone could do. Jessie Jakson may, however, think he is putting Hillary down and may want to cut off even more of Obama's anatomy. Even though I would like to beleive Jessie, I am pretty sure Laura is right.

July 10, 2008 08:29 am at 8:29 am |
  23. ch

Guess he can forget many of her 18 million voters too – and he CANNOT win without them.

July 10, 2008 08:30 am at 8:30 am |
  24. Dem in SC

Putting himself before someone else? No! His career is more important than the safety and privacy of his children. To use his daughters in an attempt to "humanize" himself or to make himself seem like a "regular guy"...why are we surprised at his lack of respect and regard for Senator Clinton?

July 10, 2008 08:31 am at 8:31 am |
  25. sue

And this woman who racked up the debt was wanting to run the country? What a joke. Let her pay her own debt. She didn't know when to bow out with grace or she wouldn't be in the position she is now.

July 10, 2008 08:31 am at 8:31 am |