July 10th, 2008

Obama almost forgets Clinton

At a joint Wednesday fundraiser, Clinton nearly slipped Obama’s mind.
At a joint Wednesday fundraiser, Clinton nearly slipped Obama’s mind.

NEW YORK (CNN) – It was announced last week that Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton would attend a series of fundraisers in New York together, one to help pay down her campaign debt and the rest to help raise money for his White House bid.

But a busy day in the Senate delayed Obama in Washington, forcing him to combine two events into one where he was supposed to ask donors to help Clinton as well as contribute to his campaign.

Wednesday night, he praised Clinton as “extraordinary” and “tough” - but nearly forgot about her need for funds.

After wrapping up his speech to donors Wednesday evening with an emphatic, “We will change the world!”, Obama left the stage to loud music, only to re-appear minutes later to complete his duties.

“Hold on a second guys, I was getting all carried away. I’ve got one more thing that is important to do,” Obama said to a laughing audience. “Senator Clinton still has some debt. And I could have had some debt if I hadn’t won so I know the drill.”

He then asked donors to contribute to Clinton on the pledge cards under their seats, calling it “part of the process of making sure that we are unified moving forward.”

“That is very important to us, and obviously Senator Clinton would be grateful as well,” he added.

Clinton ended her campaign more than $20 million in debt. More than half of that is her own money, which she lent her campaign during the primaries but is not looking to recoup.

1. Kahlil Muhajdi

Do it! Moral high ground for Obama.....

July 10, 2008 08:32 am at 8:32 am |
  2. MIT Student

The title of this headline is very misleading... you should have said "Obama almost forgets to mention Clinton's fundraiser needs" or something along those lines. CNN, you make it sound like he forgot about her or about the entire event.

July 10, 2008 08:32 am at 8:32 am |
  3. Lawrence

This is a bit off subject, but I couldn't find anywhere else to vent my displeasure about news reporting. I'm not sure if John McCain is just boring or if CNN, MSNBC, and FOX don't want to attack the older guy. But why does it seem that every morning when I get on here I read several stories about Obama? Which allows readers to come on and say some of the meanest things I've ever read. McCain can make a bad joke about Iran and not much is said about it, not even a ticker. However if Obama sneezes too loud there's a ticker about him. Take a tour, look at the "New in the Ticker" next to the comment box. You'll see 3 things about Obama, and you'll see the same "Old" poll about McCain, and what he said about abortion. I wish someone at CNN.com and CNN the news network look at the stories and start evening up the reporting. I've seen so many flip flop debates about Obama, when McCain has done it as much, if not more. Am I the only one that noticed this?

July 10, 2008 08:32 am at 8:32 am |
  4. aaron

I know and why don't we donate to McCain when he looses too. So that we can help him with his debts!

July 10, 2008 08:32 am at 8:32 am |
  5. ima Dolt

Clinton? Is Clinton . . . one of those people that Obama defeated in the primary? I guess I need to check the CNN archives.

July 10, 2008 08:33 am at 8:33 am |
  6. susan

how many of his promises over the course of his campaign will he convienently forget...he has already changed his stand on Iraq, put his children on tv and now changes his mind about future family portrayals, and he is not even in office yet.

We are in serious trouble here, at least if he picks Hillary as VP we stand a chance. Will he forget to pick a VP too.

July 10, 2008 08:33 am at 8:33 am |
  7. Brooke

He didn't forget her. He doesn't give a crap about her.

He seems to get "carried away" a lot lately doesn't he?

July 10, 2008 08:33 am at 8:33 am |
  8. Daunel

At least he remembered and caught up! It's human to something forget, provide you remember on time, which he did great!

July 10, 2008 08:35 am at 8:35 am |
  9. Mike in NC

I'm glad he's helping her with her debt, honestly i hope he picks her for Veep, it was a long primary and i've seen a lot of bad blood, but i hope that's fading. I loved bill in the 90's and i really think her campaign people are to blame for her loss not her integrity or credentials. I just can't see how anyone with the principles to vote for her could ever support mccain, i don't want my kids in iran, and i know they don't want theres, and you can pretty much kiss roe v wade goodbye.

July 10, 2008 08:35 am at 8:35 am |
  10. sue

She is forgettable!!!

July 10, 2008 08:36 am at 8:36 am |
  11. Amy in Woodstock, NY

I think it is simply ludicrous that Obama should have to ask anyone to pay down Hillary's campaign debt.

Hillary overspent, Mark Penn overcharged and, Hillary overstayed her time in the nomination race. It was a poor campaign on her part but she refused to face the fact that she needed to step down since Texas. I think it is plain to see that most donors are not interested one bit in helping pay the Hillary debt. That is the simple reality.

July 10, 2008 08:36 am at 8:36 am |
  12. Ed, Santa Fe NM

Clinton who? Oh you mean the one who fiscally MISMANAGED her ill-advised campaign for a MINUS TWENTY-THREE MILLION DOLLARS while yammering about her EXPERIENCE?

We should ALL forget her.... what a loser.

July 10, 2008 08:36 am at 8:36 am |
  13. Vicki Webster

He is full of it. Hillary please please ccome back we need you soooooooooo badly. He is a clown, the whole thing is a circus with him in the middle.

July 10, 2008 08:36 am at 8:36 am |
  14. NG in DC

I hope he doesn't forget to offer her the VP. Won't see any money or votes from me if he forgets to do the right thing soon.

July 10, 2008 08:36 am at 8:36 am |
  15. Henry

Republicans posing as Clinton supporters claiming this is yet another reason to vote for McCain in 3...2...1...

July 10, 2008 08:36 am at 8:36 am |
  16. Disgusted

That is hilarious. He's such a doll.

But I'm sure the media will blow this totally out of proportion. *sigh*

July 10, 2008 08:37 am at 8:37 am |
  17. GH

Don't worry, B.O. – Most of us have forgotten Hillary, too.... or at least we're trying to!

July 10, 2008 08:37 am at 8:37 am |
  18. Dee

Obama is a self-centered jerk. Period.

July 10, 2008 08:37 am at 8:37 am |
  19. mikenmississippi

He shouldn't forget her. I am a supporter of hers who is watching very closely to see if he picks her as a running mate. He better start watching himself when dealing with her!

July 10, 2008 08:38 am at 8:38 am |
  20. dz in Austin

Of course I want what's her name's supporters to vote for Me and donate to Me and work for Me as soon as I get through flicking them off my shoulder.

For someone who is known for their flowery rhetoric and motivating cadence, that was the most pathetic request for donations to what's her name's campaign I could possible imagine.

I hope what's her name returns the favor. My check is going to what's her name, along with my loyalty. My angry old behind will be staying home election day.

July 10, 2008 08:39 am at 8:39 am |
  21. Becky Montgomery

I don't know why anyone would donate money to her when she is employing a lawyer to negotiate how much presence she will have in the convention and wants her votes called out. That can do nothing but divide the party and stroke her ego. I don't want to contribute to someone who spends their money like that.

July 10, 2008 08:39 am at 8:39 am |
  22. drone

Of course the Obama bashers will use this as an excuse to not support Obama, when they weren't going to support him in the first place! Look... for all you Clinton supporters who are still holding this pety grudge, get off the m.a.n.u.r.e... You are the exact reason she did not get the nomination...

So instead of blaming everyone else for your short commings, how bout looking in the mirror... and to say that you would rather vote repub, than vote for Obama, you are the lowest of the low.. Hav a beautiful day.

July 10, 2008 08:39 am at 8:39 am |
  23. Greg, Erie PA

I imagine that he does have a lot on his mind. But, you can't help but think that he would really just like to forget her all together.

July 10, 2008 08:40 am at 8:40 am |
  24. Jan From Boca Raton, Fl

Again Obama always thinks of himself first. If I were Hillary I would tell Obama to stick it, raise the money herself to pay off her debt. She is selling her soul to the devil. She should STOP campaigning for Obama. Bill Clinton has the right idea, he will not campaign for someone he knows will ruinthis country.
    Now Obama voted for Spanish Language to be manditory in our schools, This is just the beginning people, next we will be bowing
    down and kissing the feet of all the blacks in this country.
    SHAME, SHAME

July 10, 2008 08:40 am at 8:40 am |
  25. Rayburn E. Taylor

I think it is just terrible that Hillary has been reduced to begging Obama to get her debts paid off. Everyone knows she can't stand him. But she has to say she likes and supports him in order to get money. The Cintons have always been about money. They will do or say anything for it. Obama has no choice. If he didn't, she would not campaign for him and he needs that Hillary vote to win. If he didn't need her he certainly would not be asking people to pay her. Simply put she is charging for her support and he is buying votes. You would have to split some seriously thin hairs to think otherwise.

July 10, 2008 08:41 am at 8:41 am |