July 10th, 2008

Obama almost forgets Clinton

At a joint Wednesday fundraiser, Clinton nearly slipped Obama’s mind.
At a joint Wednesday fundraiser, Clinton nearly slipped Obama’s mind.

NEW YORK (CNN) – It was announced last week that Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton would attend a series of fundraisers in New York together, one to help pay down her campaign debt and the rest to help raise money for his White House bid.

But a busy day in the Senate delayed Obama in Washington, forcing him to combine two events into one where he was supposed to ask donors to help Clinton as well as contribute to his campaign.

Wednesday night, he praised Clinton as “extraordinary” and “tough” - but nearly forgot about her need for funds.

After wrapping up his speech to donors Wednesday evening with an emphatic, “We will change the world!”, Obama left the stage to loud music, only to re-appear minutes later to complete his duties.

“Hold on a second guys, I was getting all carried away. I’ve got one more thing that is important to do,” Obama said to a laughing audience. “Senator Clinton still has some debt. And I could have had some debt if I hadn’t won so I know the drill.”

He then asked donors to contribute to Clinton on the pledge cards under their seats, calling it “part of the process of making sure that we are unified moving forward.”

“That is very important to us, and obviously Senator Clinton would be grateful as well,” he added.

Clinton ended her campaign more than $20 million in debt. More than half of that is her own money, which she lent her campaign during the primaries but is not looking to recoup.

1. April

What a self absorb, egotistical elitist. You forgot the most important issue in your agenda and what does that tell everyone. This guy is a joke. He thinks this job is a popularity contest. Thank God McCain is running. We cannot have this clown in our Whitehouse. He is so selfish, and only takes without giving. Now he chucks it down as "oh, I got carried away." That shows the attention span that this guy has. Inexperienced, unpatriotic, arrogant, no issue that is call his own, all stolen from Hillary and now McCain. Please someone tell us why this guy is qualified for the job he is running? I still do not know where he stands in any issue except to steal issues from other candidates. First it was Hillary and now is McCain. He cannot come up with his own agenda. He waits for McCain to take a stand on issues then Obama will jump all over it as if he, Obama proposes it. America, we cannot have such a flip flop manning our nuclear and armed forces. We all will go dizzy with confusion. "NO EXPERIENCE AND IT SHOWS". OBAMA COULD HAVE WAITED AND GAIN THAT EXPERIENCE AFTER HILLARY BUT HE IS TOO GREEDY TO DO SO. "NO EXPERIENCE, NO EXPERIENCE, NO MATTER HOW YOU SLICE IT, STILL NO EXPERIENCE." THAT EQUALS NO PRESIDENCY.

McCain for President 2008 and Hillary 2012

July 10, 2008 08:41 am at 8:41 am |
  2. Mike O

And with such a performance, you can just bet Hillary's minions are all fired up to work for this guy in November. They can join the FISA opponents and the anti-war opponents at the 'Obama Threw Us Under The Bus' rally at the convention in August.

July 10, 2008 08:42 am at 8:42 am |
  3. John B. From New Hampshire

AWESOME!!

July 10, 2008 08:42 am at 8:42 am |
  4. RW

How long OBILLARY are going to BEG for this so called RICH People's DEBT? I am getting sick of this... Common move to better issues !!!

July 10, 2008 08:42 am at 8:42 am |
  5. Noah

As much as I like Barack, I don’t think he owes her any favors. He needs to stop doing what McCain and Clinton want him to do and be more independent minded.

Sorry PUMAs but I'm still voting for him

July 10, 2008 08:44 am at 8:44 am |
  6. Carl

Ya, she's in debt but only because of irresponsible spending on a race that she couldn't win. Also the fact that she took back interest on money she lent her own campaign is disgraceful – even Mit Romney didn't take back interest (or so I think).

July 10, 2008 08:44 am at 8:44 am |
  7. george

Barack is using Hillary and lets her hang out with him because it makes him look good with the Democrats. It's obvious Hillary does not like playing second fiddle to him but she puts up with it anyway. It was a hugh blow to Hillary's ego to get defeated because in her mind she just knew that she was going to capture the nomination with no problems. But what they both don't know is the Republicans again will capture the White Houst this November..........

July 10, 2008 08:44 am at 8:44 am |
  8. John in NY

How is this top page news?? How, Cnn?

The man said it best... "He got carried away" and forgot about the debt shilling.

Who really cares though?

July 10, 2008 08:44 am at 8:44 am |
  9. Obamarican

I guess he's not good at begging for money, since he hasn't had a lot of practice doing that over the 17 month primary campaign. I know all of the Clinton supporters (how do you support a candidate who isn't running) will cry that this is more evidence that he is ______________ (fill in the insulting adjective of your choice). But the reality of it is he doesn't need to beg for money and it's a shame that in order to get her help he has to beg for it on her behalf. I hate to say it but she's pimping him to raise money and in order to get her bitter delusional hangers-on to support the actual nominee who won fairly, it's what he has to do.

July 10, 2008 08:44 am at 8:44 am |
  10. David

The title makes it seem as if he left her on the tarma: visa vi Casablanca. C'mon this isn't real news.

July 10, 2008 08:45 am at 8:45 am |
  11. EMJ

OK, let the negative Obama posts begin now...
    People make mistakes but if Obama does it serves as a reason for some to attack him. (They were never going to vote for him anyway).
    Why doesn't PUMA pay off her debt since they are so loyal and willing to vote against their own party, their own beliefs clearly out of immature spite?

July 10, 2008 08:45 am at 8:45 am |
  12. laurie South Dakota

I just don't understand. There was no way she could win. She CHOSE to continue to spend her and her supporters money. She is filthy rich in her own right. She badmouthed him the whole time she continued to spend that money... Now he is expected to help pay her back... And the American people are supposed to help pay her back..... She should be too ashamed to ask for money. If she was such a true Democrat, she would suck up her loss and help him win....with NO strings attached.

July 10, 2008 08:47 am at 8:47 am |
  13. Democrat

NOBAMA..........................enough already.

July 10, 2008 08:47 am at 8:47 am |
  14. Lisa

Hey Where's Bill? Guess he's not going to be apart of this charade.

July 10, 2008 08:48 am at 8:48 am |
  15. ari

Only Obama could come back after saying goodbye and do it so smoothly. He will be an awesome president.

July 10, 2008 08:48 am at 8:48 am |
  16. BROOKLYN

He forgot because he does not care about ANYONE (including you and I ) but himself...

Biggest mistake we ever made was nominating this guy.

July 10, 2008 08:48 am at 8:48 am |
  17. chidi

too much stress on the man ..but he still remembers ...Obama clinton 08' God bless you obama

July 10, 2008 08:49 am at 8:49 am |
  18. Sam Taveras

Why is Clinton in debt? Through her taxes I thought her and her husband are making a salary of nearly 200 million a year.

July 10, 2008 08:49 am at 8:49 am |
  19. CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK

Nice caption CNN, give all the puma idiots plenty of cannon fodder to make false claims and unsubstantiated accusations.

Pumas:

If you are such fans of McCain why is it I never see you praising his policies? Could it be because you are bitter and are simply bashing Obama out of spite?

July 10, 2008 08:49 am at 8:49 am |
  20. nate

Hey I love my wife but I forget to bring home something she asked me to all the time. Is that arrogance? Maybe I just forgot. So I go back out to the store and do what I was supposed to. Like Barack did. Next subject...

July 10, 2008 08:50 am at 8:50 am |
  21. Lisa

Now this is turning out to be like a circus, and Obama is the clown.

July 10, 2008 08:51 am at 8:51 am |
  22. jstrib

Obama's boorishness never ceases.

July 10, 2008 08:51 am at 8:51 am |
  23. JONNA

WOW~!

July 10, 2008 08:51 am at 8:51 am |
  24. rachel

I watched live on cnn hillary talk at women for Obama she was wonderful. Obama best use her to the best of his ablity because her stomp speeches are great.

July 10, 2008 08:51 am at 8:51 am |
  25. R. Grayson

OK - let me get this straight. I'm supposed to send a check to the Clintons who made $109 million since leaving office eight years ago? The folks who make more in a personal appearance fee for one speech than I make in a year? And I'm supposed to send *THEM* money? Why?

July 10, 2008 08:52 am at 8:52 am |