July 10th, 2008

Obama almost forgets Clinton

At a joint Wednesday fundraiser, Clinton nearly slipped Obama’s mind.
At a joint Wednesday fundraiser, Clinton nearly slipped Obama’s mind.

NEW YORK (CNN) – It was announced last week that Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton would attend a series of fundraisers in New York together, one to help pay down her campaign debt and the rest to help raise money for his White House bid.

But a busy day in the Senate delayed Obama in Washington, forcing him to combine two events into one where he was supposed to ask donors to help Clinton as well as contribute to his campaign.

Wednesday night, he praised Clinton as “extraordinary” and “tough” - but nearly forgot about her need for funds.

After wrapping up his speech to donors Wednesday evening with an emphatic, “We will change the world!”, Obama left the stage to loud music, only to re-appear minutes later to complete his duties.

“Hold on a second guys, I was getting all carried away. I’ve got one more thing that is important to do,” Obama said to a laughing audience. “Senator Clinton still has some debt. And I could have had some debt if I hadn’t won so I know the drill.”

He then asked donors to contribute to Clinton on the pledge cards under their seats, calling it “part of the process of making sure that we are unified moving forward.”

“That is very important to us, and obviously Senator Clinton would be grateful as well,” he added.

Clinton ended her campaign more than $20 million in debt. More than half of that is her own money, which she lent her campaign during the primaries but is not looking to recoup.

1. Robert NYC & Miami

One of the reasons I'll forget to vote for Obama on Nov. 4.

July 10, 2008 08:52 am at 8:52 am |
  2. rac

Obama's narcissism becomes more and more offensive. That behavior was insulting and offensive to Senator Clinton, making a light joke of a commitment to her that he should honor. He is not a man of honor, he is arrogant, self-centered, in addition to having misled and lied to the fools who believed him during the primary. How is this better than a Clinton president? Familiar Reality this is. Same old Stuff.

July 10, 2008 08:52 am at 8:52 am |
  3. Andy J, NY

What a schmuck.

July 10, 2008 08:52 am at 8:52 am |
  4. Kevin Callahan

First the FISA vote, now this.

As a Hillary supporter and a good democrat, I am trying to give him support, but I'm pleased about neither of these things.

July 10, 2008 08:52 am at 8:52 am |
  5. CarolB

Hey, I'm a married to the same man for 30 years mother of two working my butt off to support my family and trying to cover health insurance. Can't make ends meet or pay for gas. One health crisis away from losing my home that we've been paying steadily on for years. How about contributing to my debt too?!

July 10, 2008 08:53 am at 8:53 am |
  6. marie

Obama better wake up and realize that without Hillary, he isn't going anywhere.. he needs to commit to a VP and if not her, show he is going to put her in a cabinet position that shows respect for what she can bring to the table.. he needs to following..

July 10, 2008 08:53 am at 8:53 am |
  7. Andy J, NY

He was so wrapped up in the sound of his own voice, he forgot to mention Clinton.

I love it.

This guy is about as self absorbed and arrogant as it gets, and I find it disturbing, yet funny, that you liberals have such a love affair with him.

What a joke.

July 10, 2008 08:54 am at 8:54 am |
  8. Jimmy in SC

I wish I could forget her!

July 10, 2008 08:55 am at 8:55 am |
  9. Charles Lewis

he will never get my support unless he adds her to the ticket

July 10, 2008 08:55 am at 8:55 am |
  10. Katy

I am a true Hillary supporter who will now vote for Obama. These calls to retire her debt should stop. here's what Hillary and Bill should do: stiff Penn and eat the rest of the debt, paying the small vendors and frontline people who helped. The Clintons might be out 15 million or so, but they can easily recoup that with public speaking and book deals. You can ask all you want, but Obama supporters won't give money to Hillary just as Hillary supporters wouldn't have given money to Obama. Small donors of any kind sholdn't be asked to bailout campaigns that miscalculated expenses. Maybe big donors should be, but not small ones.

July 10, 2008 08:55 am at 8:55 am |
  11. scotty

Iam really starting to Refine my thoughts about this guy..........

July 10, 2008 08:55 am at 8:55 am |
  12. Cher

So full of himself....I cant stand him.

Hillary all the way!

July 10, 2008 08:55 am at 8:55 am |
  13. Down with Obama

Obama is an idiot!!!

There is no way in hell that he should be the nominee of OUR party!!

PUMA Democrat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

July 10, 2008 08:55 am at 8:55 am |
  14. Donna

What's the point of the title CNN? You guys are really loosing credibility for providing "news" OR you are reshaping the word "news" and that is sad.

July 10, 2008 08:55 am at 8:55 am |
  15. People make no sense

Why does she need help, she has 18 million supporters? I thought that was a Lie anyway. Go operation chaos!

July 10, 2008 08:56 am at 8:56 am |
  16. Tim from Buffalo

Everyone there knew they were there to raise money for Clinton. Obama not saying it specifically in his remarks didn't make a bit of difference.

The invitations said this was a fundraiser for Clinton. The media there knew they were covering a fund raiser for Clinton. All week we've heard the press telling us that this would be a fundraiser for Clinton. Who's so stupid that they could legitemately believe that this was some sort of offense. He was present at this party where the sole purpose was to raise money for Hillary. The fact that this is getting such a media reaction is just further proof we have an education problem in this country.

July 10, 2008 08:56 am at 8:56 am |
  17. Anon

Hillary's debt would not be so exorbitant if she had pulled out of the race once she knew there was no real chance of her winning. Now she expects hard working American citizens to compensate for her indiscretion.

GIVE ME A BREAK, OBAMA 2008!!!

July 10, 2008 08:56 am at 8:56 am |
  18. Steve

If you don't have an extra 22 million lying around to spend on a campaign maybe you shouldn't.

July 10, 2008 08:57 am at 8:57 am |
  19. Will, in Richmond, VA

no problem here. Move along....

July 10, 2008 08:57 am at 8:57 am |
  20. A Nightingale Sings in Berkley Square

What a disrespectful comment about Hillary. I am shocked at his lack of intellect but can see that he cares about no one except himself. He has a Harvard Ego and that ain't good.

By the way wonder what Jesse wants to do with OBAMA'S "nuts?" Just in from CNN - "See, Barack's been talking down to black people ... I want to cut his nuts off."

He is such a girlie man that I didn't think he had any to cut off. He got whipped by a lady in OHIo, PA, NY, CA WV, KY, MI, FL, Texas and TN etc. Egads, whipped by a lady.

July 10, 2008 08:57 am at 8:57 am |
  21. Jesse's illigitimate child

Every Democrat should give one dollar.

July 10, 2008 08:58 am at 8:58 am |
  22. Kevin

10 million democrats should give one dollar.

July 10, 2008 08:58 am at 8:58 am |
  23. Marcus B

Oh come on CNN! This is not news. He made a mistake and that's it!

OBAMA/SEBELIUS 2008-2016

July 10, 2008 08:59 am at 8:59 am |
  24. naco

i will be very happy to see obama help hillary paid her debt

July 10, 2008 08:59 am at 8:59 am |
  25. Naomi, Texas

Not good but good to know he ended it by taking ownership of what needed to be done. He had the option of going back and walking away or doing what he did. I'd say he made the better choice.

July 10, 2008 08:59 am at 8:59 am |