July 10th, 2008

Obama almost forgets Clinton

At a joint Wednesday fundraiser, Clinton nearly slipped Obama’s mind.
At a joint Wednesday fundraiser, Clinton nearly slipped Obama’s mind.

NEW YORK (CNN) – It was announced last week that Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton would attend a series of fundraisers in New York together, one to help pay down her campaign debt and the rest to help raise money for his White House bid.

But a busy day in the Senate delayed Obama in Washington, forcing him to combine two events into one where he was supposed to ask donors to help Clinton as well as contribute to his campaign.

Wednesday night, he praised Clinton as “extraordinary” and “tough” - but nearly forgot about her need for funds.

After wrapping up his speech to donors Wednesday evening with an emphatic, “We will change the world!”, Obama left the stage to loud music, only to re-appear minutes later to complete his duties.

“Hold on a second guys, I was getting all carried away. I’ve got one more thing that is important to do,” Obama said to a laughing audience. “Senator Clinton still has some debt. And I could have had some debt if I hadn’t won so I know the drill.”

He then asked donors to contribute to Clinton on the pledge cards under their seats, calling it “part of the process of making sure that we are unified moving forward.”

“That is very important to us, and obviously Senator Clinton would be grateful as well,” he added.

Clinton ended her campaign more than $20 million in debt. More than half of that is her own money, which she lent her campaign during the primaries but is not looking to recoup.

1. Sam

Another one under the bus just like grandma.....

July 10, 2008 08:59 am at 8:59 am |
  2. LifeLongDemocrat

This debt removal should be a top priority if he wants Hillary to campaign for him instead of continuing her fundraising. Future campaigns depend on paying the vendors!

if this doesn't happen on a timely basis Hillary should stop campaigning for Obama and start campaigning again to retire her debt. Hillary supporters: go to her website and give a contribution. This debt won't take long to retire and we can then get on with the campaign.

I'm retired and I did it!!

Hillary for 2016!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

July 10, 2008 09:00 am at 9:00 am |
  3. Doc

Just like Clinton almost forgot to get out of the race after Obama obtain those required delegates. Oh wait a minute! She has gotten out yet she's gone dormant. And we wonder why her donors don't she fit to rally behind Obama. They still supporting her.

SEEM LIKE THEY SPINNING MORE STORIES THAN WE R MONEY IN IRAQ :)

July 10, 2008 09:01 am at 9:01 am |
  4. Jose Card - Independent

In our mind, we all know the Clintons have more money than many of us can make in our life time. I don't blame Obama for "forgetting" to ask for money from donors for Hillary's primary debt, which she took on irresponsibly.

July 10, 2008 09:02 am at 9:02 am |
  5. zeia

I think the the 18 million who voted for her should each contribute ONE dollar and she would have all she needs. Why don't they put their money where their mouth is?????

Barack is just tooo decent a man!!

It would be great to have such a one for President of the greatest country in the world!!

July 10, 2008 09:02 am at 9:02 am |
  6. Jozee

It was a slight oversigt and totally to be expected with all the hoopla surrounding the comments that Jesse Jackson had to say about Barack. I'm sure the Hillraisers and the media will make a lot more of this than need to be. He corrected the mistake and all is forgiven, right?

GO OBAMA/EDWARDS OR BIDEN

July 10, 2008 09:02 am at 9:02 am |
  7. Major Michael Lorton, Virginia

There is a lot of "hidden animosity" between Hillary and Obama and if Obama and Hillary believe that they are hoodwinking the American voter, they are truly mistaken. Her campaign debt is an after thought for Obama masked under the so call "party unification concept." Obama contributors are not going to pay HIllary's campaign debt; in fact it impact on Obama's fund raising capabilities and leaves an uncertainity that funds raised for Obama are going to used for his campaign. Hillary's 18 million vote hostage card is loosing it impact and effectiveness......and if I were Obama, Hillary's support of him is truly for Hillary's personal gain and political advancement....just take the 18 million votes out of the formula. He is going to be elected without them.

July 10, 2008 09:02 am at 9:02 am |
  8. Jill American

Not good .. another 'mistake'.

July 10, 2008 09:02 am at 9:02 am |
  9. Brian

And that is why we will never vote for him!

July 10, 2008 09:03 am at 9:03 am |
  10. Anonymous

haha...here comes the hate

July 10, 2008 09:03 am at 9:03 am |
  11. Chris

Oh yes, Obama is really trying to help HIllary out. He cares about no one but himself. The only reason he pretends to tolerate her is for her 18 million votes. His sexist attitude during the primary alone was apparent enough for me. HIllary should just go on vacation and relax until 2012. Let this arrogant man embrace his overinflated ego all by himself.

July 10, 2008 09:03 am at 9:03 am |
  12. PGB

To the people saying things like: "Still for Hill" and "rise Hillary rise" and "Hillary supporters for Mccain"

Let me just think about this.

You are so 'loyal' to your chosen candidate (Hillary Clinton) that you are doing the exact opposite of what she stands for? and even what she has said? Hillary has said she supports Obama for President. Hillary and Obama's platforms are about 95% identical.

The only reason I can possibily come up with for a Hillary supporter not voting for Obama is racism. Even if you blame the media for being Pro-Obama (which it wasn't) or blame the media for being Sexist (which is possible) how are either of those Obama's fault? He sure doesn't control the media, if he did do you think you would have even heard the name 'Wright'?

Obama got more delegates than Hillary (the ONLY measure of victory) also he got more votes than Hillary. He won more States than Hillary and won by larger margins than Hillary. There is no reasonable way that the election was 'stolen' from Hillary. Especially since she started with a huge lead in money and superdelegates.

So please Hillary supports who now support Mccain explain your logic here.

July 10, 2008 09:04 am at 9:04 am |
  13. Helen

Obama is so nauseatingly fake.

July 10, 2008 09:04 am at 9:04 am |
  14. Voter

This guy is truly DISGUSTING.

DISGUSTING GREED!!!

He already has more MONEY than any candidate in history, and he is so SELFISH. It must be awful for Hillary to have to support him because she is such a loyal Democrat.

If we Americans want to have a choice, if we want candidates who are not BANKROLLED the way Obama is, we must rely on winning candidates to help retire the loser's debts. Otherwise, only wealthy can run. We don't want that for ourselves as a nation.

It is ROUTINE, it is BUSINESS AS USUAL for winners to pay the debts of losers, especially when the race is so close. Don't forget that Hillary won the popular vote-like it or not-play with your rules or don't, but more people pulled the Hillary lever. Fact.

I am appalled by this man. If he doesn't work sincerely to eliminate her debt, if he doesn't put her on the ticket, I will vote for McCain or I will not vote at all.

July 10, 2008 09:04 am at 9:04 am |
  15. new_york_loner

I'm sure AIPAC can help the poor Clintons make ends meet.

Hey, Bill Clinton gets something like a million bucks, just to deliver a single speech. Why should Obama ask his followers to help bail Hillary out?

Let these high-rolling, dynastic democrats pay their own bills.

July 10, 2008 09:05 am at 9:05 am |
  16. MJ

I WILL NEVER VOTE FOR THIS MAN. I AM A LIFELONG DEMOCRAT AND THE ARROGANCE OF THIS MAN IS absurd. OH BY THE WAY, I AM AFRICAN-AMERICAN and for all of you WHITE DEMOCRATS WHO THINK OBAMA IS your man, YOU ARE SMOKING IN A PIPE DREAM. HE IS ALL FOR HIMSELF. He is using you like a pawn in his game. This is insane!!! NO TO OBAMA!!!!!

July 10, 2008 09:05 am at 9:05 am |
  17. tj-roc, ny

I really hope this is not blown out of proportion....did he forget after those hurtful remarks by Rev. Jackson b/c that would be understandable. If it were me and I heard those remarks prior to my conference, I would be hurt, angry and would probably screw up something I said(or in this case forgot to say) especially b/c this is supposed to be his friend(and Jesse Jr. is actually Obama's campiagn co-chair) Also, Obama and McCain are on the campaign trail CONSTANTLY...I HIGHLY doubt this was done on purpose but do to his exaustion and trying to move on to whatever was next.

July 10, 2008 09:05 am at 9:05 am |
  18. John

He shouldn't forget her...she took all the crap from the media during the primaries which shifted the focus off of him and his many faults. The end result was the media made him look like the golden child and too many gullible Americans bought into it.

July 10, 2008 09:06 am at 9:06 am |
  19. Susan

Obama, pick her for veep, and you can win! You are both super good candidates.

Obama/Hillary 08

July 10, 2008 09:06 am at 9:06 am |
  20. Florida

And you wonder why Clinton supporters are not embracing Obama. Obama has turned out to be the typical politician, helping people only when he needs too. Where's the hope and change in that? The only change he stands for is his change in positions. I'm surprised Mr. Flip Flop hasn't dumped Clinton to be more attractive to a group that wont vote for him anyway.

July 10, 2008 09:07 am at 9:07 am |
  21. Andy J, NY

If McCain did this (and im not a mccain supporter), people would have all sorts of ridiculous comments about his age and how he can't remember anything.

Whats obama's excuse?

I suppose the answer is pretty obvious: He is so arrogant and self absorbed, he forgot to put on his B.S.ing face and play the nice, concerned guy for poor Hillary... gosh, isn't Obama so nice and great and honorable?

Please, pardon me while i puke.

Obama, hillary, and mccain are all bums.

July 10, 2008 09:07 am at 9:07 am |
  22. aida

i still wish it's hillary who won, not obama

July 10, 2008 09:08 am at 9:08 am |
  23. Hello!!!

doofus.....

July 10, 2008 09:08 am at 9:08 am |
  24. KRC, CA

I say, too bad. If she had just been as a responsible executive, as her campaign claimed her to be, then she would have given up the campaign when it was no longer feasible. Now, I am all for helping to repay the debts of all the people that sold goods and services to her, but I refuse to donate because I know that my money will be going to her and mark penn. And I need it more than they do....

July 10, 2008 09:09 am at 9:09 am |
  25. Aspire

Why should we pay for Hillary's foolish arrogance and especially to Mark Penn?

It's like Obama supporters paying for anti-Obama ads.

Stop the non-sense. Hill and Bill have another $80 mil to pay for.

July 10, 2008 09:09 am at 9:09 am |