July 10th, 2008

Obama almost forgets Clinton

At a joint Wednesday fundraiser, Clinton nearly slipped Obama’s mind.
At a joint Wednesday fundraiser, Clinton nearly slipped Obama’s mind.

NEW YORK (CNN) – It was announced last week that Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton would attend a series of fundraisers in New York together, one to help pay down her campaign debt and the rest to help raise money for his White House bid.

But a busy day in the Senate delayed Obama in Washington, forcing him to combine two events into one where he was supposed to ask donors to help Clinton as well as contribute to his campaign.

Wednesday night, he praised Clinton as “extraordinary” and “tough” - but nearly forgot about her need for funds.

After wrapping up his speech to donors Wednesday evening with an emphatic, “We will change the world!”, Obama left the stage to loud music, only to re-appear minutes later to complete his duties.

“Hold on a second guys, I was getting all carried away. I’ve got one more thing that is important to do,” Obama said to a laughing audience. “Senator Clinton still has some debt. And I could have had some debt if I hadn’t won so I know the drill.”

He then asked donors to contribute to Clinton on the pledge cards under their seats, calling it “part of the process of making sure that we are unified moving forward.”

“That is very important to us, and obviously Senator Clinton would be grateful as well,” he added.

Clinton ended her campaign more than $20 million in debt. More than half of that is her own money, which she lent her campaign during the primaries but is not looking to recoup.

1. aida

what if obama forgets everything he says?

July 10, 2008 09:09 am at 9:09 am |
  2. PUMA

Well then..., I guess he won't mind if I forget to vote in November!!

July 10, 2008 09:09 am at 9:09 am |
  3. Bulldog

Rediculous CNN. Why is this a story but you haven't posted one single thing here about McCain joking that he hoped "maybe it will kill all of them" referring to Iranian citizens. The McCain camp has clearly pulled the wool over the medias eyes. They let McCain get away with comments and mess ups time after time but then nail Obama on rediculous stories like this one. Rediculous.

July 10, 2008 09:10 am at 9:10 am |
  4. carrie hussein obama

hmmmm.
    nothing to say but .................
    OBAMA '08

July 10, 2008 09:10 am at 9:10 am |
  5. Ally

No surprise here. Obama's ego is so big it's a wonder he ever remembers anyone but himself. It is time to hold him accountable to all women.

WomenCount!

July 10, 2008 09:10 am at 9:10 am |
  6. Nick

HRC got herself into debt, she should get herself out. Her "supporters" need to stop whining and penny up.

July 10, 2008 09:11 am at 9:11 am |
  7. Darius

I think that Obama should help out Clinton as much as he can, but he should be careful on how he goes about it. I support Obama 100% but there is a fine line that he should not cross in regards to having his donors hand money out to her. Let us not forget how Senator Clinton "dogged" Senator Obama in the primary...

By the way, where is Bill in all of this?

July 10, 2008 09:11 am at 9:11 am |
  8. KJ, GA

It was probably subconscience, of course he doesn't want to help pay of Clinton's debt. He should'nt have to! But her whiny supporters are insisting he helps even though sheid this to herself. Something he has to do, I don't like it and he doesn't seem to like it either!

July 10, 2008 09:12 am at 9:12 am |
  9. proud army and navy mom

i will donate when bill clinton start campaigning.

July 10, 2008 09:12 am at 9:12 am |
  10. Wendy

The Democratic Party is turning into one big fat fundraising machine! When Hillary lost with all of that debt and all of that turmoil between her voters and Obama's voters, the Democratic voters were left to pay the bills. As a Democrat, I'm sickened by the amount of money we are being asked to now pay out to essentially cover "both campaigns". In a flat-busted economy, it's hard enough coming up with a $25 donation here and there and to be asked to pay for "2 for the price of 1" is really killing me!

I'm definitely not giving to both campaigns, I stopped when Hillary lost. As some point, you have to chalk up a risky and expensive campaign as just that – risky and expensive!

I wonder if Obama's supporters could help me recover what I've lost in the stock market. That was risky and expensive too!

July 10, 2008 09:13 am at 9:13 am |
  11. susan, PA

still a Clinton News Network, CNN ?

please contact me to pay off my debts as I have a real one not like Clintons who have $80 million now after "debts".

July 10, 2008 09:13 am at 9:13 am |
  12. Janey for McCain

He will change the world all right–to socialism-when he reverts back to his ultra-left stance. We middle people will pay, as usual, while the wealthy continue to find loopholes for their taxes. I don't blame the wealthy, they worked hard, for the most part, for their money. Ask a Canadian or a person from France who pays. They tried a "work for benefits " program and the liberals vetoed it because it was "demeaning "for able-bodied people on welfare! They did not have "time" to work and go to college! America will also be a weak nation–that is change you can believe in!

July 10, 2008 09:13 am at 9:13 am |
  13. John

Wow. He is really going to make a great president. You see it more & more every day. Oh well, I'm sure forgot about her too.

July 10, 2008 09:13 am at 9:13 am |
  14. s

this isn't a big deal. obama's been so busy lately, i'm surprised he doesn't forget even more than he does. at least he got the plug for hillary in – he doesn't even HAVE to do it. but he's being gracious and trying to help a colleague out – as any future president should do!

obama 08!

July 10, 2008 09:13 am at 9:13 am |
  15. S. Boatman Warrensburg Mo.

Hillary Still Has Millions Of Dollars In Her Campaign Fund! Its Money That Was Meant For The General Election! Since She Didnt Make It That Far She Is Stuck! She Cant Use That Money For Anything Else! She Should Have Ran A More Efficient Campaign! I Dont Feel Bad For Her Because She Is Still Very Wealthy! I Dont Think She Is Worried About How She Is Going To Pay For Gas Or Food!

July 10, 2008 09:13 am at 9:13 am |
  16. John

Wow. He is really going to make a great president. You see it more & more every day. Oh well, I'm sure Bill forgot about her too.

July 10, 2008 09:13 am at 9:13 am |
  17. Empty suit, empty promises

Wow, I know many sheep are not going to be able to see through this as you are blinded by the "lord and saviors illuminating light", but for the rest of us, ISN'T this pimping out your campaign to help pay off Hillary's debt so you can get the womans vote?

I am not stunned that he almost forgot, as you take him away from his teleprompter and "uh, uh" I am refining my positions" uh, uh you typical white people need to learn a secong language and stop clinging to your guns and religoun.

I can understand the college children being brainwashed by this as it is just an extension of the college institution to "liberally brainwash the populace", but for grown-ups to be fooled by the smoke and mirrors is beyond the pale.

Rezco, Ayers, Wright, etc, etc, can anyone rationally explain all three in a non-partisan way?

EMPTY VESSEL, EMPTY SOCIALIST PROMISES PERIOD.

July 10, 2008 09:14 am at 9:14 am |
  18. Brad Miller

I am an avid Obama supporter, but I have to say I disagree with all of this. Clinton prolonged a campaign that was obviously lost a few months ago. This debt is a result of her stubbornness, and now because of that, her opponent that she denounced throughout her campaign must bail her out? Like money is an issue to the Clinton's? There are people still standing in food lines and worrying about where their going to take shelter tonight here in Illinois. I just have a real problem with this and I hope that there are many more out there that share this concern.

-Brad Miller (21)
    Chicago, IL

July 10, 2008 09:14 am at 9:14 am |
  19. FLORIDA Voter for Obama

SOUNDS LIKE THE MEDIA IS TRYING TO TURN THESE 2 AGAINST EACHOTHER.

DON'T FALL FOR IT.

IT'S THE MIDDLE OF THE SUMMER AND THEY HAVE NO REAL NEWS TO REPORT ON THIS ELECTION.

THAT'S WHY THEY'VE FOCUSED SO MUCH ON PETTINESS AND NON-ISSUES.

YOU ARE HURTING THE CANDIDATE CNN.

July 10, 2008 09:14 am at 9:14 am |
  20. stephen r

She got into this debt knowing that the race was over I don't thing we should help her

July 10, 2008 09:14 am at 9:14 am |
  21. Tarrie

this is news?

July 10, 2008 09:15 am at 9:15 am |
  22. E.White, Houston,TX

The "little lady" that is now on record as having voted against the FISA Bill, as Obama voted "yea".

He would do well to forget her from now until November.

July 10, 2008 09:16 am at 9:16 am |
  23. Abby

I can’t believe he still has to worry about a very rich woman’s debt while trying to do something as important as becoming the president this country. Isn’t there any other way?

July 10, 2008 09:16 am at 9:16 am |
  24. DEMOCRAT FOR MCCAIN

his actions

speak LOUDER

than his words

July 10, 2008 09:17 am at 9:17 am |
  25. GG NYC

From a former Hillary Clinton supporter...

I'm not going to flip out just because he got caught up in the excitement and forgot about Sen. Clinton. However, he should really be less cavalier about his impending success. He still seems aggravated at the press when they question his (obvious) recent "flip-flops" instead of turning the conversation to something different, like the economy. I've heard more from McCain about the economy than Barack; instead, I keep hearing about his gaffes and his family life. We want more policy speeches. He has the talent and the stage is set, but I just hope he doesn't screw it up.

I hope we can. Obama/Biden '08