July 10th, 2008

Obama and Clinton make second joint appearance

CNN

Watch Clinton praise Obama.

NEW YORK (CNN) - For just the second time since she ended her campaign in early June, Hillary Clinton made a public appearance with Barack Obama Thursday morning at a women’s breakfast fundraiser in New York.

Obama is focusing on women’s issues Thursday, specifically how his proposed economic plan would impact them. But the message of unity between the two former Democratic rivals going forward into the general election was front and center.

“Anyone who voted for me has so much in common with those who voted for Barack,” Clinton told donors while introducing him. “It is critical that we join forces because the Democratic Party is a family.”

“Sometimes a dysfunctional family,” Clinton added, “but it’s a family.”

“1 am very proud to be here with someone I serve with from the United States Senate who I campaigned hard with and against,” she said. “[Someone] who I’m going to do everything I can and everything I’m asked to make sure he takes the oath of office on January 20th, 2009.”

Obama heaped praise on Clinton, saying, “I know firsthand how tough she is, how passionate she is, how committed she is to the causes that bring us here today.” He noted that though they took the same historic journey, “I didn’t do it in heels.”

The Illinois senator told the more than 2,000 donors gathered that he learned from Clinton as candidate and that he’ll “desperately need” both the New York senator and her husband, former President Clinton, over the course of the campaign.

Thursday morning’s fundraiser was the third Obama has held with Clinton. Spokespeople for both Clinton and Obama say there will be future events together, though none are currently scheduled.

1. mk

Get the lead out, Hillary. A couple of appearances can't be worth over $20 million in campaign debts.

July 10, 2008 02:13 pm at 2:13 pm |
  2. Justin -NC

Yes Senator Clinton, do your job and elect BARACK OBAMA the 44th President of the United States!

OBAMA 08! YES WE CAN...YES WE WILL!

July 10, 2008 02:17 pm at 2:17 pm |
  3. scotty

HOw come responses from the Iraq refine story gets its comments shut down and a story about McCain and the Blue pill question goes on forever. I think CNN needs a ticker to tell how its ticker operates

July 10, 2008 02:20 pm at 2:20 pm |
  4. Rachel

I watched this live on CNN and I Hillary made such a wonderful case for Obama, Obama's sister was gracious as well. Her speech really did move me closer to voting for Obama.... Yeah Hillary I know my family is oftern dsyfuntional sometimes to but like you said its still a family. Loved that she said that the republicans have messed up so bad they should have said that since we messed up so bad we won't even run this year. Also you are correct hillary they wont go gentely into that dark night so I hope and pray if barack is elected that he keeps his promises and that you are there helping him fufill them.

July 10, 2008 02:20 pm at 2:20 pm |
  5. Doris,Memphis,TN

I wish I had 23 million dollars.
    I would send his to Barack so
    that he could get rid of Hillary
    Clinton. I am sure he is tired
    of this woman!

July 10, 2008 02:20 pm at 2:20 pm |
  6. Phil Newton, Murphy, OREGON

Unity '08

On to the White House

July 10, 2008 02:21 pm at 2:21 pm |
  7. Willow, from Iowa

It is easy to see that the two don't really like each other. If you watch HRC's eyes, she never looks directly at Obama. And Obama tries to act casual, but he's really quite tightly wired when she is around. I sure hope he doesn't pick HRC as his VP. There are many better options.

July 10, 2008 02:22 pm at 2:22 pm |
  8. Susan

Obama, pick Hillary for veep. Between you two, with all your supporters, you can win the President!

Obama/Hillary 08

July 10, 2008 02:22 pm at 2:22 pm |
  9. ANGIE

love it hill dems unite unite now for the sake of this country!!!!

July 10, 2008 02:24 pm at 2:24 pm |
  10. Marie/Michigan

Aren't these 2 just the picture of "unity"? If he does win the election–I will relieved that the Clinton's will be there to run things. They, at least, have more sense than the rest of those hard-core liberals. (Pelosi, Dean, Kerry, Edwards, Brazille).

July 10, 2008 02:26 pm at 2:26 pm |
  11. blaising

She's still runnin'...yep.

Could she be more condescending. For God's sake, she's STILL talking about people who voted for HER!!!

July 10, 2008 02:27 pm at 2:27 pm |
  12. What!!!

So do shoes make the person?

July 10, 2008 02:30 pm at 2:30 pm |
  13. Doris,Memphis,TN

I wish I has 23 million dollars.
    I would send it to Barack
    so that he could get rid of
    Hillary Clinton. I am sure
    he is tired of this woman!

July 10, 2008 02:33 pm at 2:33 pm |
  14. D&D

I hope she means everything she says...at least she has to be convinving!

July 10, 2008 02:34 pm at 2:34 pm |
  15. PUMA-SF

It is so unfortunate that Hillary Clinton is being forced to appear with Obama and to fund raise for him. We all know this is what she has to do but her supporters do not. We will continue to fight for her and to pay down her debt. We demand that she be on the ballot at the convention and we demand a role call.

If Obama is on the top of the ticket my vote will go to McCain.

Puma Power

July 10, 2008 02:35 pm at 2:35 pm |
  16. demwit

The audacity of politics..

July 10, 2008 02:37 pm at 2:37 pm |
  17. Jill in Chicago

Barack you may have not been wearing heels, but at least Hillary is a real person who speaks for herself. You are disappointing to thousands of women who stand taller today because of Hillary's accomplishments. Why did you have to make that sexist comment?
    I would love to see 75,000 women pack bronco stadium at the convention and throw their heels at Mr. Obama.

July 10, 2008 02:38 pm at 2:38 pm |
  18. Jan From Boca Raton, Fl

I am very disappointed in Sen. Clinton. She is selling herself to the devil. She knows deep in her heart that Obama is a snake. She should not ask him for one penny. She can raise the money she owes without his help. Reading the blogs from the nasty Obama
    supporters saying Obama dosen't need her, then why in Gods name
    is Obama begging her to help him?

July 10, 2008 02:39 pm at 2:39 pm |
  19. Charlotte

I love Hillary and will write her name on my ballot in November, because I cannot vote for Obama, or Mccain, and I cannot fail to do my duty. A vote is what I believe is the fundamental rights we should all respect, regardless of where we stand on the issues. Not voting at all is unacceptable..Sort of like voting present?

July 10, 2008 02:39 pm at 2:39 pm |
  20. SPREAD-THE-WORD...!!!!!!!!!!!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    hello to the 18-million Hillary supportes....as you can see she

cannot count on Sen Obama. Hillary was there for us–now she

needs us. Dig into your pockets $5 or more and donate to

HILLARYCLINTON.COM . I'm sure after Hillary pays off the

campaign debt the rest will go to a worthy cause. So lets us

be there for HILLARY and she will always stand for us.

July 10, 2008 02:40 pm at 2:40 pm |
  21. Jeff

Oh puke. The Democratic Party is not a "family." While I applaud Senator Clinton's intentions I find the sentiment rather sophomoric. I support someone because I believe in them. I will not support someone simply because they are a Democrat. If we did that, we would be as bad as the Republicans who voted to re-elect Bush just because he was the republican that was running. These people knew he was a lousy president but voted for him anyway. I have been a Democrat for 30 years but I won’t be supporting Obama as I do not believe in him. Obama is not concerned about the welfare of the nation. Obama is concerned with himself, his ambition, his avarice and his ego.

July 10, 2008 02:40 pm at 2:40 pm |
  22. David from Ohio

I give kudos to Hillary for agreeing to attend these events with Obama, which must be difficult given her disappointment over not securing the Democratic nomination. There is simply too much at stake this fall for Democrats to fight among themselves. We cannot afford four more years of a Republican in the White House.

July 10, 2008 02:41 pm at 2:41 pm |
  23. RJ, CA

Yep, the Democratic Party is definitely a dysfunctional family this time around - with ZERO leadership ability and experience at the top of the ticket this time around. So this time there will be an intervention - the votes will go to McCain.

July 10, 2008 02:41 pm at 2:41 pm |
  24. Sacto Joe

The Clintons needs to work a LOT harder to repair the damage they did during the primary.

What they've done so far is insignificant compared to the time, money and energy they spent trying to damage Senator Obama.

July 10, 2008 02:46 pm at 2:46 pm |
  25. john williams san diego, ca.

Nobama..my children will not be forced to learn Spanish or Ebonics.

July 10, 2008 02:48 pm at 2:48 pm |