July 10th, 2008

Obama and Clinton make second joint appearance

CNN

Watch Clinton praise Obama.

NEW YORK (CNN) - For just the second time since she ended her campaign in early June, Hillary Clinton made a public appearance with Barack Obama Thursday morning at a women’s breakfast fundraiser in New York.

Obama is focusing on women’s issues Thursday, specifically how his proposed economic plan would impact them. But the message of unity between the two former Democratic rivals going forward into the general election was front and center.

“Anyone who voted for me has so much in common with those who voted for Barack,” Clinton told donors while introducing him. “It is critical that we join forces because the Democratic Party is a family.”

“Sometimes a dysfunctional family,” Clinton added, “but it’s a family.”

“1 am very proud to be here with someone I serve with from the United States Senate who I campaigned hard with and against,” she said. “[Someone] who I’m going to do everything I can and everything I’m asked to make sure he takes the oath of office on January 20th, 2009.”

Obama heaped praise on Clinton, saying, “I know firsthand how tough she is, how passionate she is, how committed she is to the causes that bring us here today.” He noted that though they took the same historic journey, “I didn’t do it in heels.”

The Illinois senator told the more than 2,000 donors gathered that he learned from Clinton as candidate and that he’ll “desperately need” both the New York senator and her husband, former President Clinton, over the course of the campaign.

Thursday morning’s fundraiser was the third Obama has held with Clinton. Spokespeople for both Clinton and Obama say there will be future events together, though none are currently scheduled.

1. STILL FOR HILL

Do I really have that much in common with Obama supporters? I'm not really sure. I voted for Hillary because of experience and a great track record.

Obama voters voted for race and a good speech.

Sorry, Hill, but this voter has common sense. Something Obama supporters lack.

Still for Hill though

July 10, 2008 02:48 pm at 2:48 pm |
  2. Obama/Clinton '08

Dont stop, thinking about tomorrow,
    Dont stop, itll soon be here,
    Itll be, better than before,
    Yesterdays gone, yesterdays gone.

July 10, 2008 02:50 pm at 2:50 pm |
  3. Debbie,Ewing,Nj

Why isn't any of Hillary's die hard supporters, especially those in politics out there trying to get money for her self imposed debt.

July 10, 2008 02:54 pm at 2:54 pm |
  4. Kathy

Hey everyone...in every election the winning candidate from the party helps/raises funds to help pay his/her opponents debt. It is nothing to get upset about. I agree with others, I think Obama/Clinton 08 is the perfect ticket.

July 10, 2008 02:54 pm at 2:54 pm |
  5. John

You can keep trying Hillary but there are a lot of us out here that feel totally raked over by the DNC. They stopped representing us long before we stopped supporting them.

July 10, 2008 02:55 pm at 2:55 pm |
  6. California Gold

There is something sad that the candidate who won has to do the bidding for the loser. Especially when the loser said such horrid things in her failing bid (Her angry words telling Obama 'Enough with the big rallies Barack! or Bill Clinton saying his campaign is nothing but a fairy tale.)

July 10, 2008 02:57 pm at 2:57 pm |
  7. Vietnam Vet

OMG-I think they;re having an affair!!!!!

July 10, 2008 03:01 pm at 3:01 pm |
  8. Johnny Mac is bad cheese gone worse

So why doesn't Queen Hillary publicly bad-mouth her big donors like she did her competitors? "Shame on you" million dollar elitist donors for trying to strong-arm the candidates.

July 10, 2008 03:01 pm at 3:01 pm |
  9. mitchell martin

well,some of the democratic 'sons' and 'daughters',in this 'family' need a time out,in the corner.they are acting like spoiled brats,not seeing the desperate need we have for unity.the corruption of the bush administration and the gop must stop,and our "whining" wont convince them to reform themselves.we must FORCE the reins from their bloody hands ,or we will lose the ability to defend ourselves from their un-democratic,fascist ways.

July 10, 2008 03:02 pm at 3:02 pm |