July 11th, 2008

LA Times: McCain's marriage and fractured Reagan friendship

Outside her Bel-Air home, Nancy Reagan stood arm in arm with John McCain and offered a significant - but less than exuberant - endorsement.

"Ronnie and I always waited until everything was decided, and then we endorsed," the Republican matriarch said in March. "Well, obviously this is the nominee of the party." They were the only words she would speak during the five-minute photo op.

In a written statement, she described McCain as "a good friend for over 30 years." But that friendship was strained in the late 1970s by McCain's decision to divorce his first wife, Carol, who was particularly close to the Reagans, and within weeks marry Cindy Hensley, the young heiress to a lucrative Arizona beer distributorship.

Full story from LA Times

Filed under: John McCain
  1. JO

Hmmmm .... and what about Nancy and Jane Wyman, Ronnie's 1st wife?

July 11, 2008 01:26 pm at 1:26 pm |
  2. LeMonton

McCane divorces his first wife and marries rich Cindy (million$$$) within weeks. (adultery???). Then the years of abuse (physicological at the very least). Maybe as a senator of Arizona all that did not deserve scrutiny from the national press, but as a candidadte for U.S. president, McCane's record toward women has to be looked closer. I wonder if the press could take time off from barbeque at McCane's "humble" houses and do a little research here.

July 11, 2008 01:26 pm at 1:26 pm |
  3. Venus

Ha,ha,ha,haaaaaaaaaaaa! I love it! It's about time we got to this!!!

McSame cheated on his first wife and left her after she waited all those years while he was POW! Or... resting on his behind while real men fought the war for his freedom!

What makes people think that he will be a better C-I-C than Obama?
    McSame didn't fight in the Nam war... he was a POW! He was shot down!

July 11, 2008 01:27 pm at 1:27 pm |
  4. Bob

Finally some truth about McCain!

July 11, 2008 01:28 pm at 1:28 pm |
  5. Jean Alex

McCain only cares for money.

July 11, 2008 01:28 pm at 1:28 pm |
  6. Real Americans Vote Issues

You know I have to give the GOP one thing; no matter how bad, or screwed up people are, at least they stick together. Unlike the whiny, divisive, hateful avid "Clinton supporters" (I'm not talking about those who are still voting Dem, I'm talking about those 'Still for Hill' and PUMA nuts, we have to start distinguishing the two, they aren't the same. People who were supporting Clinton, and are now voting for Obama (regardless of their personal feelings) are common sense Democrats. Now there is another group, people who are still thinking they are going to force this country to suffer for 4 years under McFlap, who are ignorant as ignorant can be, they aren't Democrats, they are those "we vote values, not issues" people, the ones who think he's a Muslim or a Socialist, we're not worried about all of you. We're moving on. The GOP will not succeed, no matter how try to force us to believe all these Reps really are going all out for McCain. There house is not in order, they should try again in 2016.

July 11, 2008 01:29 pm at 1:29 pm |
  7. eric wayne

so he left his wife and kids because his wife was in a car accident only to chase after a woman half his age.

July 11, 2008 01:29 pm at 1:29 pm |
  8. Joe Reg

Mcain can not keep up with what is hapenning.

It is tough for him to be president.

In any event the repubs are going down hill this year.

Go Obama go!

Obama 08 & 12.

July 11, 2008 01:29 pm at 1:29 pm |
  9. Rave

Old Fart with cock and bull stories about Vietnam... who wants to listen to his crap with the soaring economy and rising fuel costs..
    Get out McCain... you are tooooo dumb to understand American people. You will be a perfect fit to rule Iraq.
    OBAMA (2008 -16)

July 11, 2008 01:30 pm at 1:30 pm |
  10. ErikS.

Well, some people do it the right way and aquire a divorce when out of love, no matter the cirumstances, while others would rather cheat and dishoner their vows all for their personal joy. McCain did the right thing by him and his ex.

July 11, 2008 01:30 pm at 1:30 pm |
  11. Chris

LOL...JM is saw an opportunity to get into money and he took it!!!
    It so interesting the GOP and the Conservative Right will not point this out about him now but, did back in the Priamaries of the 2k campaigns!!!
    I will ask this again, you didn't put him in office in 01 so, why now?

July 11, 2008 01:34 pm at 1:34 pm |
  12. deeinjersey

I am disgusted with the double standards in this election. If Obama had this kind of past, he wouldn't have made it past Iowa, let alone through the primaries. And if he had, the Repugs and the MSM would have ripped him to shreds over this.

Why is Obama's character always questioned, but Super Patriot John McCain's is not?

Leaving your devoted, disfigured wife for some rich blond 20 years younger just doesn't sit well with me. Do people really want a person like this to be president??? The more I hear about his past, the more disturbed I am.

July 11, 2008 01:34 pm at 1:34 pm |
  13. Belle2

Obama fans read the LA Times article before you start your condemnation campaign. Just think what had happened; he was a POW and this, undoubtedly, changed him. Carol's accident changed her ; and I am sure being on her own when he was a POW also changed her. When he returned, they were two different people. For those who are married, do you believe your marriage could withstand these problems. If you are not married, you don't have a clue. I was a military wife for over 20 years and I know each time I was alone I became more independent and when he returned there was a lot of adjustment required. That is nothing compared to years as a POW and a devastating accident. Walk a mile in his shoes before you decide he should be condemned.

July 11, 2008 01:39 pm at 1:39 pm |
  14. Stephen H

CNN, is this all there is to this story? I'm disappointed because I've always wanted to learn more about McCain's personal life. Based on the little information provided here, no wonder the press and McCain's campaign are keeping this stuff under wraps. Might this information provide clues as to McCain's character? At this point, I feel like McCain is getting a free ride from the press for whatever reason. He seems to be innoculated from Gramm's idiotic comments via that weak attempt to distance himself and the media's acceptance therein. We'll see if ol Teflon John will take the heat that he deserves for having such a moronic economic advisor.

July 11, 2008 01:45 pm at 1:45 pm |
  15. K Lynn

As a young person and a follower of Christ I choose to vote for someone who actually has strong family values. And I believe that person is Barack Obama. Cheating and divorce are no longer uncommon, but that doesn't justify it. And, if McCain is willing to lie and cheat on the person who stood by him, waited for him while he was a POW, and cared for their children all while suffering trauma of her own then I don't trust him. And that is enough for me to say that this Christian will be voting Democrat in '08.

July 11, 2008 01:46 pm at 1:46 pm |