July 11th, 2008

Polls: Obama ahead by eight

Obama is up over McCain in the latest CNN poll of polls.
Obama is up over McCain in the latest CNN poll of polls.

(CNN) - As the dog days of summer set in and Americans take a break from the daily political band-and-forth, a new CNN analysis of several recent national opinion surveys show Barack Obama with a sizeable lead over John McCain.

In the latest CNN Poll of polls, the Illinois senator holds an 8-point lead among registered voters nationwide, 49 percent to 41 percent, with 10 percent still undecided.

The 8-point spread is up 2 points from a CNN poll of polls released one week ago. It is double the margin it was one month ago, days after the prolonged Democratic race ended.

Election Center: Check out CNN's electoral map

“Obama's lead has grown a bit over the course of the past month. It is still relatively slim, but it is certainly solid," CNN Senior Political Researcher Alan Silverleib said. "The burden is on McCain to find a way to shake things up as we enter the traditional summer doldrums.”

The poll of polls consists of three recent surveys from Gallup, CNN/Opinion Research Corp. and LA Times/Bloomberg. It does not carry a margin of error.

1. tyshunn

the latest Gallup poll has him up by 6, so this is good news.

July 11, 2008 04:09 pm at 4:09 pm |
  2. TonyInKentucky

I'm still wondering what the McCain people are thinking.

Watch the interview about his birth control coverage vote and tell me that's a candidate you can vote for.

The issue isn't as important as how he handled and responded to the question.

John McCain is not competent. Experience is meaningless if nothing is learned from it. Stop this scam!!!

July 11, 2008 04:10 pm at 4:10 pm |
  3. Chris, Denver CO

Don't worry, McCain. Your campaign is only undergoing a "mental recession." Just don't whine!

July 11, 2008 04:10 pm at 4:10 pm |
  4. Fred

Funny, no one's asked my opinion. But right now since Obama seems to be supporting the policies of Pres. Bush, I'm good to go with him. However, I wouldn't count McCain out.

July 11, 2008 04:10 pm at 4:10 pm |
  5. Malcom Little

McCain's numbers will bounce back as soon as we all stop whining. Remember, America: Your problems are all in your mind.

Who needs money, when we have positive thinking?

July 11, 2008 04:11 pm at 4:11 pm |
  6. Art, Del Mar, CA

The media is trying to keep this thing closer than it really should be. They keep on acting as if McCain is a serious candidate. They ignor his obvious memory losses and failures to recall even his won statements or remarks. They let him off the hook in order to generate ratings for the continous coverage...while we wonder .."What's wrong here?", and why is it so close?"......So we watch each day...and the media makes money..

July 11, 2008 04:11 pm at 4:11 pm |
  7. Mike in Newport, Kentucky

What's sad is that 48% of the public that was polled is not considering the complete and total lack of experience that Sen Obama has in national and international politics. Wake up America, I can repeat CHANGE over and over as well, does this make me qualified to be President? I think not.

July 11, 2008 04:11 pm at 4:11 pm |
  8. K

Wouldn't that be 'ocho' in Obama's America?

BTW, Obama...are you fluent in Spanish? How 'bout French? Italian? Farsi? Hmm...better get crackin' on those Rosetta Stone books buddy, so you can bone up and pander to the Mexican's some more!

If you do eventually reach numero uno, try fixing our schools so that our upcoming generation(s) of jr high and high schoolers can construct a sentence properly (in English, not Ebonics or Spanglish)and multiply by 2 without using their fingers before you worry about whether they can speak a second language! Heck, they can't even speak our primary language!

And finally, having been in the military for many years and lived in the Philippines, Japan, Korea, Germany, Italy, and Portugal, I know a little about other countries and unless you are traveling in an area that caters to tourists or near a US military installation, good luck finding all those people you claim can speak English or any other language besides their own recognized one...they are few and far between!

Stop berating us for being stupid you snob and realize that English IS the global language! Once you do that maybe I'll even join the ranks of those 8 points! LOL, nevermind, that will never happen. I don't want either one of you in office...I need a Mitt Romney fix!

July 11, 2008 04:12 pm at 4:12 pm |
  9. Any one but Hillary for VP

All the more reason to pick Hillary as VP! She isn't needed to win and she'd be a disaster in the Obama Administration.

July 11, 2008 04:12 pm at 4:12 pm |
  10. Remzi R. Barolli

I see McCain popularity going down, why do we need an old man running the country. Watching him speak reminds me as if I am listening to W. Honestly, McCain has a young wife who can give him plenty years of enjoyment.
    Supporting Obama is supporting the country going the right direction

July 11, 2008 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |
  11. Hank

Republicans have won 7 of the last 10 Presidential elections. This race will get closer. People say they will vote for Obama in a poll but come November they will vote for the Republican. The dirty tricks party will pull out all the stops and we will have another four years of Republican rule.

July 11, 2008 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |
  12. Patrick Henry's ghost, Ft. Myers

Great–10% still undecided.
    Libertarian party 7%

If we can pull those 10% who still think both suck-and a portion of Ron Paul's supports–and other conservatives who may be uncertain of the capability of a McCain Presidency to actually show fiscal restraint.

The we may have a chance still!!!

Libertarian 2008
    Bob Barr/Wayne Root

Visit us, donate, you do have other choices.

July 11, 2008 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |
  13. JIM...TX

Texas TrailDog...give it a break. "if Hillary would take her support away it would be less" ...RIGHT. She has brought nothing...thats NOTHING to the Democratic Parties campaign but hate and bitterness! Hell, her supporters won't bail her heiness out of debt. They and she maen nothing to this contest...period.

July 11, 2008 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |
  14. KMAN

As thinking American's heads clear from the BS smoke-screens of the primaries and when they actually take a moment to witness how McCain only panders, flubs, flip-flops and down-right sickens people with his constant 'My Friends" address ... who but the most blind of us could possibly favor his visions for the past century and his so obvious lack of vision for our children's future in the 21st Century???

July 11, 2008 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |
  15. Johnny

Historically, the leader at this point in the race is the loser.

You can bank on it.

Obama will be down by 15 going into election day.

July 11, 2008 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |
  16. JohnS

YES WE CAN!!!!!!!!!!!

CHANGE WE CAN BELIEVE IN

OBAMA 2008 – 2016

July 11, 2008 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |
  17. not an obamabot, thank GOD

Juan McAmnesty, maybe La Raza can generate some support for you becuase you lost mine, and yes I agree we are a nation of "whinners" after hearing both of you pander to the hispanic vote I wonder if you guys are fighting to becaome president of the north american union, or just the USA. Either way I look forward to paying for all the illegals entitlements, being forced to speak spanish, and the Amero. got to hell both of you were is RON PAUL when you need him.

July 11, 2008 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |
  18. Silo

Nader and Barr are insignificant.

July 11, 2008 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |
  19. LNJ , Houston

While McCain supporters can make small of the polls, eg...it's only July....or "barrack should be farther ahead, given the problems of the Bush adminstration"... still, the most impressive thing that lends geat credibility to these polls, is that Barrack has consistently led in each and every last one of them. As far as the detractors who like to cite other polls that show Mccain actually leading, they'd better keep in mind that the more highly recognized polls earned their reputations via historical accuracy records. No this is not to say they were accurate in every instance...just more reliable that the others.

July 11, 2008 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  20. Danny

I am sure that Americans will dump Barack. let him go back to Chicago. Vote John McCain.

July 11, 2008 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  21. Harold

I sure hope this poll is meaningless. McCain does little to motivate my urge to vote, but if Obama gets in (which he most likely will by a lot), this country is quite screwed.

July 11, 2008 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  22. EX-Obama Supporter Independent

Obama's probably going to win but no longer with my support. I will also not vote for McCain obviously. I hope Bob Barr's campaign picks up momentum. I will be voting for him. Obama has commited himself to change. You can't do that when you're backing an unconstitutional bill drafted by the Bush Administration. Obama hasn't just lost all the Hillary supporters, he is losing an adamant supporter in me. As much as I want to see the disgrace and humiliation of the republicans I won't let those ends justify the means of backing a candidate who has shown that he is not a champion for the constitution that I thought he was. I will vote my principles. Obama has destroyed everything he built with the hope he gave us when he ran. I saw an America ready to get taken back by a good man. I wasn't detered by the rediculous reverend wright nonsense. I wasn't detered by the clinton attack machine. I wasn't detered by McCain's rediculous fear mongering. Obama lost my vote through his own actions. He doesn't have the judgement he claims he had. DailyKos is right, he is a sellout. No change, same old bs game. I couldn't vote in the primaries beacuse i'm an ardent Arizona Independent and independents can't vote in the primaries unless they change to republican or democrat, which I won't do. Now I'm glad i didn't vote. I'm glad I didn't send him any money either. I'd be getting buyers remorse right now. I have no faith any longer in either the democrats and republicans. I will be an even more ardent independent than I was before.

July 11, 2008 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |
  23. Cautiously Optimistic

It's great news and all that, but... how does it play out on the Electoral College? That's what really counts. How many points/representatives is he ahead by in that – if any... ?!

July 11, 2008 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |
  24. Richard

The republicans have screwed this country. They are the ones who are going to get screwed this November. Bye Bye GOP!!!

July 11, 2008 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |
  25. Ellie in Aurora, CO

Oh, you Texas Trail Dog operation Chaos person! No one really believes that someone with this much hate is a Hillary supporter. All these all-cap people spewing hate against Obama. I say, what's wrong with a smart rock star president who people will listen to. Aren't we sick of old white men who have their own little boys club? Who have no clue about global cultures, who keeping making money for their oil buddies, who can't even sign on to the Internet, for God's sake? How can you talk about technology being a solution when you know nothing about the technology of the last 30 years? OK, excuse my rant, but really Americans!!! Wake up! This is the 21st century and we're talking about electing people who aren't even up to speed on the 20th century!!

July 11, 2008 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |