July 12th, 2008

CNN journalists recall Snow as hard worker, great guy

Members of the press corps are expressing admiration for late White House spokesman Tony Snow.

(CNN) - CNN journalists who worked - and sometimes clashed - with Tony Snow recalled his warm personality, strength of conviction and intellect Saturday.

The former White House spokesman died Saturday of cancer at age 53.

Watch: Tony Snow's last day at the White House

"You know, you might not agree with his politics, but the one thing that you can't argue with is that Tony Snow was really a tremendously decent human being," CNN "American Morning" host John Roberts said.

Full story

Filed under: Popular Posts • Tony Snow
  1. GARY

first russert now snow the only 2 journalists i had respect for now we are left with idiots like olberman and oreilly

July 12, 2008 02:00 pm at 2:00 pm |
  2. Farrell, Houston, Tx

You had to like Tony whether you like what he said or not. He had a very approachable and warm personality with everyone during his press conferences which I had never seen in any other White House press representative and will probably never experience again. I was truly looking forward to his appearances on CNN. God Bless.

July 12, 2008 02:01 pm at 2:01 pm |
  3. Susan

Our prayers & thoughts go out to his family. I lost my Dad to cancer when he was 53.

July 12, 2008 02:07 pm at 2:07 pm |
  4. Anonymous

Tony Snow was at the center of every major effort of the Bush White House to mislead the public. And, whether he was directly aware of the half-truths, he never resigned his position because of ethics concerns. His integrity was, at best, questionable.

That having been said, my sympathies goes out to him and his family.

July 12, 2008 02:09 pm at 2:09 pm |
  5. david

MR SNOW WAS A GOOD HONEST GUY BUT WHEN YOU WORK WITH BUSH AND CHENEY PEOPLE WILL NEVER SEE THE KIND OF A GUY YOU ARE .

July 12, 2008 02:13 pm at 2:13 pm |
  6. John, Brooklyn, NY

Tony Snow was at the center of every major effort of the Bush White House to mislead the public on major events from illegal wire tapping to the false threat of Iraq. Whether he was directly involved with the creation of the false information, he also never resigned his position because of ethics concerns once those falsehoods came to light. His integrity was, at best, questionable.

That having been said, my thoughts and prayers are with him, his family, and his loved ones.

July 12, 2008 02:13 pm at 2:13 pm |
  7. David

I'm a liberal guy, and while I disagreed strongly with much of what Tony often said, I still respect the guy for getting up every morning and going to work at a horribly unpopular job. Regardless of what administration is in the White House, it's no fun being the Press Secretary.

It upsets me that so many people, both Republicans and Democrats, don't take the time to give some respect to the opposing side where respect is due. I'm not suggesting that Bush should have respect...he hasn't earned it. But in my book, Tony Snow has earned my respect as a good-hearted, courageous man.

God Speed, Tony.

July 12, 2008 02:20 pm at 2:20 pm |
  8. Brendan H., San Antonio, TX

My sympathies to his family, but Tony Snow was a hack for the Bush Administration, and nothing will change that.

He started his antics on Faux News, and that's what made him "perfect" to succeed Scott McClelland.

July 12, 2008 02:39 pm at 2:39 pm |
  9. Bill in San Jose

This guy lied through his teeth for the Bush regime. May he be able to rest in peace.

July 12, 2008 02:47 pm at 2:47 pm |
  10. Shari, NYC

My thoughts are with his family. After all, they weren't the liars who enabled Bush to commit war crimes.

July 12, 2008 02:49 pm at 2:49 pm |
  11. Shari, NYC

Your comment is awaiting moderation.

July 12, 2008 02:49 pm at 2:49 pm |
  12. Danny

I have been a strong admirer of Tony Snow. It is difficult to find such journalists in today's world. May I submit my heartfelt condolences to his family. We will all miss you.

July 12, 2008 03:04 pm at 3:04 pm |
  13. Molly

May God Bless Tony & his family – he will be missed.

July 12, 2008 03:05 pm at 3:05 pm |
  14. William, from Cali!

I'm sure, he's in a "better place"; anywhere, would be better than what's happening on or to planet Earth, these days. "To be absent from the body; is to be present with the Lord." Amen, brother! RIP..........

July 12, 2008 03:06 pm at 3:06 pm |
  15. Bob G.

Russert and Snow – What a Tremendous Loss to the USA and the world. Their worth = Priceless!!

July 12, 2008 03:18 pm at 3:18 pm |
  16. Zion

Why do people have to bring politics into a situation like death? I guess I'm too busy praying for him and his family.

July 12, 2008 03:23 pm at 3:23 pm |
  17. B. DUN

to bad the A.merican politicians would not follow Tony's out look on life,
    America would be a much better country. America has lost two of it's great peoples,Tony and

July 12, 2008 03:38 pm at 3:38 pm |
  18. Patrick

This is very sad news indeed

July 12, 2008 03:48 pm at 3:48 pm |
  19. Reality Check Richmond Virginia

I am far from a conservative, and even though I disagreed with him politically, I always respected how he would respectably debate and discuss the issues, instead of dumbing down the conversation, yelling over top of people or acting like a horses a.. like limbaugh, hannity and others. he will be missed. RIP.

July 12, 2008 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |
  20. Keith in CA

I feel sorry for his family's loss. However, after his appearance on Bill Maher's show last year where he said the economy is stronger than ever, flippantly dismissed American casualties in Iraq and berated a guest for questioning the numerous excuses the Bush administration gave us for going to war, I think he may have some explaining of his own to do.

July 12, 2008 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |