July 12th, 2008

Former White House spokesman Tony Snow dies

Tony Snow responds to reporters at an October 2006 White House news conference.
Tony Snow responds to reporters at an October 2006 White House news conference.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Former White House press secretary Tony Snow - who once told reporters "I'm a very lucky guy" - died at the age of 53 early Saturday after a second battle with cancer.

Snow, who had been undergoing chemotherapy treatments for a recurrence of the disease, left his White House job September 14, 2007, and joined CNN in April as a conservative commentator.

President Bush said Saturday that he and first lady Laura Bush were "deeply saddened" by Snow's death.

Full story

Filed under: Tony Snow
  1. Shane

Rest in peace Mr. Snow. My thoughts and prayers are with his family and friends. 53 is way too young.

July 12, 2008 12:09 pm at 12:09 pm |
  2. rachel

Will keep his family in my prayers.

July 12, 2008 12:10 pm at 12:10 pm |
  3. TheTruthHurts

Seemed respectable. I would hate that job knowing you're being sent out to lie – and for possibly the worst president in American history.

Hope someone is stepping up to take care of his family because they said he left to earn some "real" money.

July 12, 2008 12:14 pm at 12:14 pm |
  4. whiner

our prayers are with you.too young. too republican.

July 12, 2008 12:18 pm at 12:18 pm |
  5. Mr. T

I guess Tony has snowed us for the last time. I can only imagine he spinning his death in his good natured, always smiling way saying he was temporarily unavailable for further comments or questions and that he was only resting and this was only a temporary setback that this administration like all others before it will recover from.

Rest in peace Tony, for now you can be true to yourself and tell the truth without spin.

July 12, 2008 12:19 pm at 12:19 pm |
  6. 27 years old African American Male for Hillary

Eternal Rest Granted to him Oh Lord...and let perpetual light shine upon him.

Cancer has claimed another one. Wow. I didn't like this guy's policies but that was just a job. He is human and we have more in common with him than our differences. I pray for strength for his family and friends.

July 12, 2008 12:22 pm at 12:22 pm |
  7. Pri

The thought of his 3 young kids losing their father just hurts to much to even think about.
    May God give strength to the Snow family and may he rest in peace.

July 12, 2008 12:30 pm at 12:30 pm |
  8. CO, WA

Great Loss!!! God bless you Tony, rest in peace!

July 12, 2008 12:30 pm at 12:30 pm |
  9. Elly

what a tragedy ..this is just so sad
    inspite of everything he always had a smile for everyone
    I had recently wrote the situation room enquiring about him
    many condolences to his family

July 12, 2008 12:38 pm at 12:38 pm |
  10. strong

At least Mr. Snow is out of this awful ordeal, dealing with cancer. It had to be terrible with all the meds, surgery, etc. Sad.

He did have a privileged and charmed life though. And he seemed like a decent man.

Our condolences...

July 12, 2008 12:49 pm at 12:49 pm |
  11. Nancy

Rob and Ed–I wonder what they'll say about you once you're dead? Have some respect for the man and his grieving family.

July 12, 2008 12:57 pm at 12:57 pm |
  12. yay of PA

A good man who had a tough job and confronted an even tougher condition, fighting both bravely. Rest in peace, Tony.

July 12, 2008 01:08 pm at 1:08 pm |
  13. Montana is Obama Country

RIP – Tony Snow.. your distinguished voice will be missed.

July 12, 2008 01:16 pm at 1:16 pm |
  14. Kevin,FL

RIP- Tony, the last time i heard you, you was talking to Wolf, and you said you wanted to get back on TV, My condolences are with your family, and friends..

July 12, 2008 01:35 pm at 1:35 pm |
  15. Thomas

I did not agree with Mr. Snow much. I had very little respect for him professionally. He sacrificed his journalistic ethics to become a professional spin artist for the administration.

Politics and ethics aside, he was a human being. I am sorry for his family. I hope that when Mr. Snow died, he went with little pain and a little dignity.

I hope his family can get though these terrible times and press on with their lives.

July 12, 2008 01:41 pm at 1:41 pm |
  16. Dan

Tony seemed like a decent man, even if I don't agree with most of his political views. Regardless, my sympathy goes out to his family. 53 is just too young to die.

July 12, 2008 01:42 pm at 1:42 pm |
  17. Anonymous

may you rest in peace mr. snow, but may your legacy of blatantly selling bush's snakeoil be forever remembered.

July 12, 2008 01:52 pm at 1:52 pm |
  18. Farrell, Houston, Tx

Tony Snow was a great guy and really had a keen sense of humor. I was looking forward to his appearances on CNN. God Bless his family.

July 12, 2008 01:53 pm at 1:53 pm |
  19. RJB

to Ed and the other A holes At least let someone die without your kind of venom.
    I appoligize to the Snow family for these stupid comments and I would say it in stronger words but not today. Will say a prayer for Tony and the family.
    I was just told I have cancer and have limited time so a hole Ed wait til I close the door and comment on me cuz I'm nobody and nobody cares

July 12, 2008 01:53 pm at 1:53 pm |
  20. kelly WI

An honest wonderful man. Had a great career and did good works for many people. Too bad there aren't more like him in the business.
    He was a joy to watch and listen too.
    Worked for the best President we've had.

July 12, 2008 01:55 pm at 1:55 pm |
  21. Janet WV for Obama

Rob and Ed–this is no time for hateful comments. I wish for God's blessings for the Snow family. May they know that life may not always be fair, but God is good.

July 12, 2008 02:01 pm at 2:01 pm |
  22. Catya

You will be missed, Mr. Snow.

July 12, 2008 02:03 pm at 2:03 pm |
  23. Closely Watching

While I often disagreed with Tony Snow's political philosophy, he was, none-the-less, a vetted newsman who demonstrated great courage in the face of what turned out to be unsurmountable odds in his battle with cancer. Rest in peace Mr. Snow and my condolences go out to his family and friends.

July 12, 2008 02:04 pm at 2:04 pm |
  24. Bill, Alabama

Tony Snow told people what he believed about religion, life, and politics in terms that came from his heart and soul.

Unfortunately, he repeated to the American people the lies that he was told while he was White House Spokesperson.

May he rest in peace, knowing that he was respected by all of us.

July 12, 2008 02:06 pm at 2:06 pm |
  25. An American Whiner

I am sure that the Millions of Americans affected by this failed Presidency are taking solace in the fact that he is LOOKING UP AT US from wherever he happens to be now.

Signed: A Proud American whiner