July 12th, 2008

LA Times: Clinton on Obama's shortlist

The LA Times reports Obama says he is considering Clinton for the No. 2 spot.
The LA Times reports Obama says he is considering Clinton for the No. 2 spot.

Barack Obama told a potential donor to his campaign that Hillary Rodham Clinton is on his list of possible vice presidential running mates, but that her husband's status as a former president makes matters "complicated."

Jill Iscol, a faithful Democratic donor who was an ardent supporter of Hillary Clinton's presidential campaign, said Obama reached out to her because he heard she was unhappy about the way the New York senator had been treated by the Democratic Party and the media.

Full story from LA Times

1. John

She should be on his short and fat list!

July 12, 2008 11:46 am at 11:46 am |
  2. mary

Grow up. It was a great race. Obama won. Hillary lost. Hillary has chosen the high road by giving her full support to the DEMOCRATIC PARTY. Odd that you won't.

July 12, 2008 11:47 am at 11:47 am |
  3. ML - California

Obama and Hillary are different when they are not together. Campaigning and supporting the Democratic party together may not be the answer

July 12, 2008 11:47 am at 11:47 am |
  4. Ohio

What a crock -Obama – the man for change – right after this week I do not think so – Hillary stay far away from him – the media and him and DNC think he is all that – take no VP position – you do a great job in NY as senator – it is over – leave it at that – Obama can win this by himself – if he loses some votes which he will make no mistake – a lot probably but it is on him and the DNC and the media – not Hillary nor Bill – or their supporters – I say Hillary stay far away from him. – I say you are all going to be surprised and I will vote for him as I am a dem – but if he loses I switch to Independent – I personally believe the DNC and medial made a big mistake here – only time will tell – at least Hillary was always honest about what she said and cared about the middle american and did not have to pander and change the way Obama has done this week – I am going to fillabuster the FISA vote – what happened? – I wont take monies – what happened – he is not a man of change it is still politics as usual and he is just a politician – I wonder what his supporters think now? He has no regard for the CONSTITUTION

July 12, 2008 11:47 am at 11:47 am |
  5. randy

TYPICAL WHITE PERSON.NOBODY CARES ABOUT YOUR VOTE.

July 12, 2008 11:48 am at 11:48 am |
  6. John Pittsburgh

Why is there always some story about Hillary? SHE LOST, She is just a New York senator begging for money!

July 12, 2008 11:49 am at 11:49 am |
  7. Woman for Obama

GET OVER IT HILLARY SUPPORTERS. I respect Hillary as a person, but not as a politician. I used to admire her strength, but with strength comes grace, and she has none.

Somebosy has to lose. That is life. Stop projecting.

I am a woman and have been for Obama since last year.

July 12, 2008 11:49 am at 11:49 am |
  8. John Pittsburgh

If you are that obsessed with Hillary Clinton then your a pathetic sicko

July 12, 2008 11:50 am at 11:50 am |
  9. Big D

Not another "who's going to be the VP story"! Enough already. Let's take a break from VP speculating and let the candidates make their own choices. How many "maybe it will be Clinton" stories do we have to have shoved at us? This is not a new idea – give it a rest already.

July 12, 2008 11:50 am at 11:50 am |
  10. JC

Typical Clinton crap. Help pay down her debt? Please. If all of your supporters were as tough as you think say are, you would have done it already. Barack has already helped her. Fundraisers and stuff. He has ALREADY done his part of what he said he would by even starting. It is not his fault if people do not want to send her money because she doesn't have the common sense to know how to budget, or get out before the ship sinks. So, to the Clinton supporters, put your money where your mouth is or shut up. If you dont want to vote, fine. No sweat off my sack. I'm tired of all of this crap. I have had more mature conversations with toddlers.

July 12, 2008 11:51 am at 11:51 am |
  11. Texas Trail Dog

This just goes to show just how stupid Obama really is. Now he thinks Bill Clinton a man with potential of helping a President on any subject that comes up, the only man as president that has ever balanced a budget, and the only President that kept a stable economy right on into the midterm of George Sr. Term as President. How stupid can you really be to not ask and want his help. BUT THIS DOES NOT MAKE ME UNHAPPY. I DO NOT WANT THE CLINTONS TO HAVE ANYTHING TO DO WITH THIS DISHONEST MAN AND THE DNC. AND THIER SUPPORTERS.

Well I'll tell you. OBMA IS NOT FOR THE DEATH PENALTY. HE HAS SIGNED PETITIONS TO TAKE AWAY FROM THE STATES THEIR RIGHTS TO HAVE THE DEATH PENALTY. HE SAID IN QUOTE YESTERDAY, "THAT ONLY SOMETHING OF A HEINOUS CRIME LIKE WHAT BIN LADEN DID ON 9/11 JUSTIFIES A HEINOUS CRIME AND THE DEATH PENALTY. SOMEONE RAPING A CHILD OR A VICIOUS RAPE RESULTING IN DEATH IS NOT A HEINOUS CRIME. A RAPE AND MURDER OF A EIGHTY-YEAR-OLD GREAT GRANDMOTHER IS NOT A HEINOUS CRIME AND NONE OF THESE ARE JUSTIFIED OF THE DEATH PENALTY. SOMEONE ROBBING A 7-11 ARE A LIQUOR STORE AND SHOOTING TO DEATH OF THE STOREKEEPER IS NOT A HEINOUS CRIME AND ETC. THIS IS WHAT YOU MAY AS WELL GET READY FOR. OBAMA INTENDS TO OPEN THE FLOOD GATES OF THE PENS AND LET ALL THESE PEOPLE BACK OUT ON THE STREETS OF AMERICA." IF YOU WANT HIM AS A PRESIDENT THEN GO FOR IT. IN THE MEANTIME YOU BETTER PUT YOU DAUGHTERS AND WIVES UP. KEEP YOUR [PEOPLE FROM WORKING LATE AT NIGHT. BECAUSE THESE WINE DRINKING MURDERS AND DOPE HEADS WILL BE OUT THERE WAITING.

July 12, 2008 11:52 am at 11:52 am |
  12. Melissa

People really need to stop using the same tired cliches. He is not acting like a Rock Star or Messiah. That is just some mindless rhetoric that people keep saying when they really have nothing to say.

My personal choice – No Clinton for VP. I personally do not believe she has what it takes. I find that there are many choices out there and I wish that many (not all) of Clinton's supporters would stop acting like she is the only thing out there. She's not. Her "experience" has always been overblown. I do find her intellingent and credible but she has a lot to learn. And please stop with the "victim" mentality. She has not and was not treated any worse than anyone else. And, as a female I am tired of us using that excuse as a crutch. If we want to show that we can play with the big boys we have to stop whining when we get treated like the big boys.

I've seen poor treatment and good treatment for ALL of the candidates on both sides.

July 12, 2008 11:53 am at 11:53 am |
  13. randy

ALL OF YOU HAVE SHOWN THAT YOU MAKE VOTING DECETIONS BASE ON HILARY RATHER THAN THE ISSUES tHAt WE HAVE WITH DEMOCRATS.

July 12, 2008 11:54 am at 11:54 am |
  14. Chuck

I'm with Marge, Let's get that party started!!!!

July 12, 2008 11:54 am at 11:54 am |
  15. randy

ALL OF YOU HAVE SHOWN THAT YOU MAKE VOTING DECETIONS BASE ON HILARY RATHER THAN THE ISSUES tHAt WE HAVE WITH REPUBLICANS

July 12, 2008 11:54 am at 11:54 am |
  16. Big D

Enough with the "Hillary was mistreated" stories. I saw plenty of gentle stories on Hillary and inappropriately rough stories on Obama. I saw plenty of Hillary throwing mud at Obama, much more than he threw at her. I saw plenty of Hillary supporters saying terrible things about Obama, at least as much as the other way. So I really am mystified where this indignation about Hillary's treatment is coming from. And isn't it time to support the nominee and try to win the election against the real oponent?

July 12, 2008 11:54 am at 11:54 am |
  17. LUIS BARRETO

THE UNDECIDES AND UNSATISFIED DEMOCRATIC VOTERS HAVE NO FAITH IN OBAMA WHO BRIDGE NATIONWIDE DIVISION. WE NEED TO BE SURE THAT WE ARE UNIFIED MOVING FORWARD WHITH A NEW PRESIDENT AND A NEW CONGRESS TAKE OFFICE NEXT NOVEMBER//

July 12, 2008 11:55 am at 11:55 am |
  18. Susan from Scotts Valley, CA

Typical White Person – Most people in Europe are bi-lingual. Some are tri-lingual. The idea that Obama thinks it would be a good idea for students in the U. S. to speak the language of our neighbors to the South is a good one. It's so funny. He's being accused of being a protectionist by some people and then being accused of being a "globalizer" (whatever that is) by others.

July 12, 2008 11:55 am at 11:55 am |
  19. Freida, NYC

Obama must pick Hillary as his VP, otherwise he will not get my vote.

July 12, 2008 11:55 am at 11:55 am |
  20. Paula

Obama was never anything but gracious to Hillary,even though he was constantly abused by the Clinton's and the media.She should consider it a blessing to still be on the list.Her supporters were and still are phoney's (proof of this is the outstanding campaign debt).True supporters would help with this.I believe most of those cracks were republicans voting in the Dem primary's to set things up for themselves.I'm not a Hillary supporter but I do think Obama will put her in his cabinet.Her sad mismanagement of funds was the thing that turned me off as our economy is in such a poor state.If she were out there with Bill and campaigning for Obama,I would be happy to fight to put her on the ticket,but so far she hasn't proven yet to me that she wants it.(Unless, by chance,this is just the media trying to stir up stuff.)Hillary supporters have to remember 1 thing,if they vote against Obama now...Obama supporters may vote AGAINST Hillary when she runs again,if she does.Also she has the Peter Paul trial pending and the gag order comes off in November after the election.

July 12, 2008 11:55 am at 11:55 am |
  21. Tori, Oregon

You know I just have to get this out:

Barack Obama was leading in delegate count. So if Hillary Clinton had been able to persuade the super delegates to go over to her then the decisions of all the caucus states and other states would be null and void. Stop acting like babies and accept the fact that WE the democratic party have elected the first African American to run as president. There have been a lot of racial bias on the media as well. I am sure that if Barack Obama had lost there would be 18 million of his supporters on here as well complaing about how it had been stolen. Just get over it and lets get this country heading the right direction. I do not want my Dad to Iraq a third time.

July 12, 2008 11:57 am at 11:57 am |
  22. Cynthia

Great to know that she is on his short list, but Senator Obama needs to pick somone who will shore up the areas where he might need help in . I'm sure the areas where he may need help in – she is short in as well.

July 12, 2008 11:58 am at 11:58 am |
  23. CATINA

If he wants to win by a landslide pick the most exiting women ever.HILLARY RODAM CLINTON.

July 12, 2008 11:59 am at 11:59 am |
  24. DFoster Georgia

Why won't the PUMA PAK ban together and pay Hillary's debt? I mean, they seem to be so devoted to her. They want her to run again, so they need to pay her debt. If she loses that 10 million do you really think she'll risk it again? I think not!! You PUMA PAK idiots wouldn't support her when she needed you, and you won't do it if she askes you again. She knows that. And then you think Obama's supporters are obligated to pay her debt. Why should they feel this way? They gave mightily to Obama … they supported him. You gave nothing to Hillary … just a pat on the back and a "Go gettem' Hill!". That won't pay for a campain you idiots!! But you can help now. Give her 5 dollars. If there are as many of you as you claim, she should be out of debt by the end of July.

July 12, 2008 11:59 am at 11:59 am |
  25. Susan from Scotts Valley, CA

FIRST OF ALL – Most of this nastiness being expressed is coming from Republicans who have the most to gain by keeping Democrats angry at each other. So don't believe any of this anger post unless you personally know the poster.

SECOND OF ALL – There were bad things said on both sides of this campaign. It's politics. I realize it's hard to see the other side of this but try.

This is not about the Democratic party. This is about what's best for this Country. We know what four more years of a Republican White House will look like. We're living it. IF you think that's what we should continue to have whether you're a Republican, a Democrat, or an Independent, then vote for McCain and we'll hopefully survive for four more years. If not, you must vote Obama. A write in vote or a third party vote is a wasted vote.

July 12, 2008 12:01 pm at 12:01 pm |