July 12th, 2008

NGA meeting full of potential VPs

Pawlenty, a potential VP choice, is the current chairman of the NGA.
Pawlenty, a potential VP choice, is the current chairman of the NGA.

(CNN) - As increasingly fevered vice presidential speculation swirls around the nation’s governors, many of the names topping most experts’ hypothetical shortlists are gathering in Philadelphia Saturday.

Potential Republican VPs attending the weekend’s National Governor’s Association meeting include Republicans Sarah Palin of Alaska and Bobby Jindal of Louisiana; Democrats Tim Kaine of Virginia, Brian Schweitzer of Montana and Kathleen Sebelius of Kansas are also on hand.

The man currently leading the NGA, Republican Tim Pawlenty of Minnesota and his incoming successor, Democrat Ed Rendell of Pennsylvania, are also in the spotlight as potential running mates. Both men have downplayed their interest in the job – though they haven’t ruled it out.

Rendell has said he would consider a cabinet post, but is planning to remain in office until his term ends. Pawlenty told reporters this week he has not yet been asked for documents by the John McCain’s vice presidential vetting team, though he made a television appearance from the presumptive Republican nominee’s national campaign headquarters earlier this week during a trip to Washington for a policy conference. Aides have yet to confirm whether or not he met personally with the Arizona senator during that visit.

Potential running mates skipping the NGA gathering include Florida’s Charlie Crist and New Mexico’s Bill Richardson. Later Saturday afternoon, another former governor turned national officeholder will address the group: former president Bill Clinton.

Filed under: Popular Posts
  1. William, from Cali!

I could care less, who becomes the DemocRATS' VP; just pick somebody, and stop the "sideshows". We, as a Country, are faced with more "pressing issues" and 'deadlines"; to be "worrying about" at the moment. Thank you..........................

July 12, 2008 02:56 pm at 2:56 pm |
  2. jane in CA

Whiners vote for Obama. Jewishes vote for Obama. Hispanics vote for Obama. CA votes for Obama. Say NO to oil drilling offshore, NO to nuclear power, NO to holiday tax break, NO to more years in Iraq. Iraqis want the troops out, troops will be out soon when Obama is in office.

July 12, 2008 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm |
  3. Dem for McCain

Go John! Whoever you pick is fine. Just pick a winner so Obama can step off the political stage.

McCain/Whomever '08!

July 12, 2008 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  4. Maria--African American Hillary Supporter

Name necessary because too often everybody thinks HRC supporters are 'racists'!

We Hillary supporters are going to 'get bashed' once again for pointing out the obvous–BO does need her and us. Let's face it, while the polls are early (and subject to all kinds of interpretation) BO is in a statistical tie with McCain with some polls showing his lead as little as 3 points and as much as 8. Why is that troublesome? Because NOTHING has gone right for McCain over the last two weeks. Economic Numbers, Bush's continued boneheaded moves, and all of his surrogates off message and yet this race is tight. By this point Jimmy Carter was up by 33 points.

Simple Math folks. It takes about 35-38 million votes to win the presidential election. Out of the 35 million cast in the Democratic primary, BO only won 17.5 million, meaning that if he doesn't hold ALL of Clinton's voters, he is in trouble. Can he go out and gain new voters? Sure but in the end, even in the most aggressive years no more than 65-70 million people vote, so at most he can add 1-2 million, still leaving him 16 million to get.

No other VP candidate comes with a built in 18 million. Not Webb, Not Edwards, No Sebelius. No one. While I don't think his ego or Michelle's will let him pick HRC, let's just be honest about the danger in not doing so.

July 12, 2008 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  5. markus

why does every post that has Obama's name on it get the negative attacks from clinton supportors. She lost! Quit whinning. Obama won the primary. He will do more for us and this country than another four years of Bush. If Barack says hello, you get tons of children crying about how great Hillary is/was. Do you hate Barack enough to stay in Iraq forever? Invade Iran? Thousands of troops dead!! Not get heathcare for everyone? Have Roe V Wade be over turned? Continue to struggle with the issues that affect us all as AMERICANS? For the love of GOD He IS A DEMOCRAT!!! Why on earth would you consider MCBUSH? GROW UP! I'm sick of the stupidity. Don't vote for Barack and watch how bad it really gets for you/us. Don't whine for four years because MCBUSH is in charge and he spits on us all. You're giving the republicans what they want. What has Barack done to YOU to make you say such hateful things about him and his family. What if someone did that to you? GROW the hell up!!! Or MOVE out the US. We don't want your sorry butts.

July 12, 2008 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |
  6. Angry Republican

I will not be voting for Mcain.. No way no how.
    He is not a Conservative, nor is he a christian...
    I will be staying home.
    He has help to autor many Liberal bills, and now that he wants to be our nominee, he says he wouldn't support his own bills..
    He must think we are stupid..

July 12, 2008 03:16 pm at 3:16 pm |
  7. Eric ( Minnesota)

July 12th, 2008 11:43 am ET

This is a little off topic, but I missed out yesterday–Maybe someone can explain to me why Obama specifically targeted black fathers as the ones deserting their children? I know many white deadbeat fathers. It's no wonder Jesse took offense–if he is pandering to the white vote, it's not necessary to be critical of blacks as a means to an end!
    --------------------------------

First, it wasnt directed just toward black men, but it is a much bigger problem in the black community. He was calling on everyone to show more accountability. But it is fact that in the black community single parent homes are at a higher rate than the rest of the country.

July 12, 2008 03:17 pm at 3:17 pm |
  8. Tim

I think McCain is an angry old man and Obama can express hope very well – but we have heard this before with no substance. I think the VP choices this election cycle will be more important than ever before and will be the key to who wins in November. McCain needs youth and personality and Obama needs strength and practicalism. Both need experience governing something. The choices are out there, may the best choice win: VP.

July 12, 2008 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  9. Larry

Campbell Brown misrepresented the truth yesterday when she teased that Obama had demanded to speak at the Brandenberg Gate while in Germany. Fact is that the Mayor of Berlin had suggested the place.

Talk about being and elitist, Campbell put herself in a position of being a supercilious elitist. Just give me the facts, I will judge those that misuse them.

Forty years ago I twice came face to face with my patriotism. First, Lyndon Johnson became president. For many reasons, I did not like the man. In fact, I think I would say that I hated the man. The moment he took the oath, that all changed. LBJ became President of the United States of America and my Commander and Chief.

At that point in time, if was as though I had been for him all of my life. He was the President of my country.

The second thing I learned was that if a soldier had a US before the name of his branch of service, he was my brother.

I love my God, I love my country, I love my president, and I love my brother. Don’t mess with any of them.

In November we will have another president. It all stays the same.

Larry

July 12, 2008 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  10. bimmer

Dear Anonymous:

You sound like the angy Pastor Obama has.

July 12, 2008 03:22 pm at 3:22 pm |
  11. Mom from Arizona

I'm from Arizona and I can tell you all that John "forgetful" McCain has done nothing for the people in this state.
    He claims to have experience needed to be President becuse he was a POW.
    I wonder, based on this theory, does that mean that that black girl who was held POW when the Iraq war first started is also qualified to be President? I certainly would not vote for HER so why would I vote for Mr. McCain.

July 12, 2008 03:23 pm at 3:23 pm |
  12. EX-Obama Supporter Independent

obama broke my heart when he backed bush's fisa. what a wet noodle he turned out to be. OBAMA you need to apologize. I really am hurt. those "revisions" were cotton candy coating. fisa is an insult to the constitution.

July 12, 2008 03:23 pm at 3:23 pm |
  13. Eric ( Minnesota)

Texas Trail Dog July 12th, 2008 11:57 am ET

THIS IS ONE SUBJECT THAT IS ACADEMIC TO ME. I SIMPLY DON'T CARE WHO OBAMA SELECTS AS LONG AS HE DON'T SELECT HILLARY.

I DON'T WANT HER DRAGGED DOWN INTO THE QUAGMIRE OF MANURE THAT SURROUNDS OBAMA. THE MAN WILL GO DOWN WITH ALL HIS DECEIT AND CONNIVING. HIS GANGSTER TACTICS OF TAKING ILLEGAL MONEY AND CATERING TO HIS HATE WHITE-AMERICA CONGREGATION
    --------------------------------

HOW DOES OBAMA USE "GANGSTER TACTICS". AT LEAST HAVE SOME FACTS IF YOU ARE GOING TO MAKE SUCH RIDICULOUS STATEMENTS. THIS IS ONE OF THE MOST BLANTENTLY RACIST POST IVE SEEN. YOU SHOULD BE ASHAMED OF YOURSELF. IT ISNT 1950 ANYMORE, COME JOIN THE REST OF US IN THE 21ST CENTURY.

July 12, 2008 03:25 pm at 3:25 pm |
  14. Hillbilly for Obama

McCain / Clinton 08
    V.
    Obama / Jindal 08

July 12, 2008 03:28 pm at 3:28 pm |
  15. KJ

Hopefully, Barack Obama will politically impode BEFORE the Dems get a chance to foolishly nominate him, Obama is unqualified and unelectable, no matter who is on the ticket with him.

The Dems have a chance to rectify this unfortunate situation they finds themselves in with Obama at the DNC convention in late August in Denver. The delegates can for whomever they want. They should vote for Hillary Clinton as the nominee because Hillary has already won the popular vote, winning MORE votes than ANY candidate of ANY party in history! Wow. Hillary Clinton remains the most qualified and most electable candidate in the race. Nobama, ever.

It's Hillary or McCain. Put your country first and party second. Send a message to the DNC, we will not condone voter disenfranchisement and sexism in 2008.

July 12, 2008 03:28 pm at 3:28 pm |
  16. Tony, Miami

Charlotte and others

Just write whoever you want on your ballot even your dog's name but stay on the subject. Actually a lot of us are sick and tired of the same menace as if we care.

July 12, 2008 03:39 pm at 3:39 pm |
  17. Ben

JAN – sounding pretty cocky yourself there.

July 12, 2008 03:45 pm at 3:45 pm |
  18. Desiree

bimmer I agree with you, whenever I see Richardson he looks worn and I can't help calling him Judas

July 12, 2008 03:53 pm at 3:53 pm |
  19. Desiree

Susie I'm with you. I was hoping that John McCain gets disqualified because he was not actually born in the US or some other loop hole to get McCain or Obama out.

July 12, 2008 03:56 pm at 3:56 pm |
  20. bernice

Shirillary supporters out in force.... Don't you get tired of beating a DEAD and I mean DEAD horse???? Vote for McCain and SHUT UP already............

July 12, 2008 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |
  21. multitaskin

REALLY TO MAKE THIS A SLAM DUNK FOR ALL HAND WRINGING DEM LIBERAL OBABA WORSHIPPERS THE NEXT VEEP SHOULD BE A BLACK MAN. REALLY WHO BETTER WOULD COMPLIMENT OBABA? HE DID TELL BERNIE MAC IN HIS HAND SLAPPING ITS A FAMILY THANG RIGHT. WHEN YOU STACK THE TICKET WITH WIZARD OF OZ FIT THE SCREEN TYPES ITS OBVIOUS ITS ALL ABOUT JUST WINNING. THAT AMERICANS AT LARGE WONT BENEFIT FROM WHOEVER THESE AMBITIUOS TOKEN POLITICIANS CHOOSE KERMIT THE FROG COULD DO AS WELL. COURSE THE GREEN SKINNED VOTE ISNT A POLITICAL FORCE TO BE RECKONED WITH, BUT YOU WAIT TILL GAS HITS 8 DOLLARS A GALLON AND THAT WILL CHANGE. IN OTHER WORDS HIS VEEP CHOICE IS AS IRRELAVENT AS JESSIE JACKSONS INTEGRITY. THAT BEING NONEXISTANT. GOD HELP AMERICA!!!!

July 12, 2008 04:19 pm at 4:19 pm |
  22. DR.T

Well for all you haters out there that languish in your own self righteousness. It takes more courage to run for public office than most of you realize. More courage in their pinkies than most of you haters have in your whole bodies. All you can do is complain and criticize. And not to mention all of the immature name calling. Well if that makes you guys feel good about your small pathetic existences...then so be it! You all suffer from what we in call (in professional circles)Xenophobia.But if you don't understand ,..then let me break it down to you.

Xenophobia can be easily—even arbitrarily—turned on. In just hours, we can be conditioned to fear or discriminate against those who differ from ourselves by characteristics as superficial as eye color. Even ideas we believe are just common sense can have deep xenophobic underpinnings. Research conducted at Harvard reveals that even among people who claim to have no bias, the more strongly one supports the ethnic profiling of minorities at airport-security checkpoints, the more hidden prejudice one has against minorities.

But other research shows that when it comes to whom we fear and how we react, we do have a choice. We can, it seems, choose not to give in to our xenophobic tendencies.

But if you neanderthals don't wake up and realize the evolution which is about to occur in our country and then the world.You might as well stay at home and suck your pathetic little thumbs...maybe that'll make you feel better.

BTW i'm white and all you hating losers make me sick.!

July 12, 2008 04:35 pm at 4:35 pm |