July 13th, 2008

McKinney wins Green Party presidential nomination

Cynthia McKinney represented a suburban Atlanta, Georgia, district for six terms as a Democrat.

(CNN) - The liberal environmentalist Green Party nominated former Congresswoman Cynthia McKinney as its presidential candidate Saturday.

McKinney, 53, held off three rivals to win the party's nomination during its convention in Chicago, Illinois. She picked journalist and activist Rosa Clemente as her running mate.

Green Party spokeswoman Scott McLarty acknowledged McKinney was a "long shot" for the White House, but said, "Every vote that she gets helps the Green Party."

"The United States needs an alternative party," McLarty said. "The narrow two-party system we have right now has not served us very well."

McKinney represented a suburban district of Atlanta, Georgia, as a Democrat in the U.S. House of Representatives for six terms - five consecutively.

First elected in 1992, she lost a primary challenge in 2002 after suggesting in a radio interview that members of the Bush administration stood to profit from the war that followed the September 11, 2001, terrorist attacks on New York and Washington.

In 2004 she ran again and won with a low-key campaign in which she largely avoided controversy. But voters ousted her again in 2006 after she was accused of a physical altercation with a U.S. Capitol Police officer who questioned her after failing to recognize her at a security checkpoint.

Full story

Filed under: Cynthia McKinney
  1. Eric in Atlanta

I wish she was on the ballet here in Georgia, because I'd vote for her just to protest. There's no way I'm voting for Obama. He changes his point of view as he changes his underwear.

July 13, 2008 11:58 am at 11:58 am |
  2. Loretta from California

well she won't get very far with that "better than thou" attitude. I would think she would have been happy to learn the Security Guard was doing his/her job.....protecting her and the other members of Congress. It would seem as though all of our Leaders need to rid themselves of this "You are beneath me" attitude that they seem to develop when they are elected.

DEMOCRATS UNITE!!!

July 13, 2008 12:23 pm at 12:23 pm |
  3. caribbean admirer of OBAMA

Oh my God, another sister who failed in the past and now once more is trying to get the black vote and opposing the election of her own kind. Who paid her for this? Woman get a life.

July 13, 2008 12:24 pm at 12:24 pm |
  4. db

I'll bet she'd have the spine to tell Bernie Mac off, and she wouldn't be "just messing" with him, either.

July 13, 2008 12:27 pm at 12:27 pm |
  5. john williams san diego, ca.

this woman is too stupid to know she's stupid.

July 13, 2008 12:29 pm at 12:29 pm |
  6. bruja

interessting woman. I like her allmost as mutch as Obama....

July 13, 2008 12:30 pm at 12:30 pm |
  7. Mary May King

This is one black candidate Jesse may have some difficulty practicing his particular brand of emasculation.

July 13, 2008 12:31 pm at 12:31 pm |
  8. 3rd party

CNN) — The liberal environmentalist Green Party nominated former Congresswoman Cynthia McKinney as its presidential candidate Saturday,,,,,,,, I hope she doesn't jump them

July 13, 2008 12:33 pm at 12:33 pm |
  9. Dfoster GA

Is this nut serious. I mean, I have no problem with multiple parties running for the White House, but this lady is as fruity as they come. Any party that would nominate this idiot isn't really serious about running this country ... successfully. Can you imagine this nut in a crisis situation? I thought Ralph Nadar was crazy, but this lady takes the cake. I hope no one will waste their vote on this person.

July 13, 2008 12:33 pm at 12:33 pm |
  10. Matt, Manchester, CT

And the winner for Most Irrelevant Story of the Day goes to...

July 13, 2008 12:44 pm at 12:44 pm |
  11. M.S. Indiana

Welcome to the race Cynthia McKinney, may you make life harder for poor old McCain

July 13, 2008 12:49 pm at 12:49 pm |
  12. Green party

She'll get my vote instead of that lying flip-flopping Obama

July 13, 2008 12:55 pm at 12:55 pm |
  13. susan, PA

Another MORON-SPOILER.
    I do not know what these people get by participating in elections? I used to think that Hillary is a arrogant fool to continue in primary elections but these candidates make her look much smarter.

July 13, 2008 01:20 pm at 1:20 pm |
  14. Mike

lmao – I could probably count on both hands how many votes she's going to get.

What a joke.

July 13, 2008 01:22 pm at 1:22 pm |
  15. David, Atlanta, GA

They couldn't have posssibly nominated someone less relevant. This woman represents the district next to mine, and even I was happy to see her leave congress.

July 13, 2008 01:38 pm at 1:38 pm |
  16. Slavica

Not another Nader , all over again! I like McKynney, but this is not the time.

July 13, 2008 01:41 pm at 1:41 pm |
  17. Voter

Another whacko checks in.

July 13, 2008 01:46 pm at 1:46 pm |
  18. DebDeb in Cali

And so, the silly season continues.

July 13, 2008 01:46 pm at 1:46 pm |
  19. android

I was for Hillary but willing to vote for Obama if he became the Democrat's nominee. But after listening to Obama since he secured the nomination I am finding it very difficult to support him – at least we knew where Hillary stood. I have a great admiration for Cynthia McKinney and will consider voting for her. I am also looking at Ralph Nader. It will be difficult to pick between McKinney and Nader. I like them both.

July 13, 2008 01:52 pm at 1:52 pm |
  20. James

Confrontation is her platform. CNN, please repeat and highlight McKinney's interview with Soledad O'Brien, a shining example of how obnoxious and confrontational McKinney is. "You can't stop me Soledad!"

July 13, 2008 01:52 pm at 1:52 pm |
  21. kelly WI

Ha ha. I needed a laugh today.

July 13, 2008 01:57 pm at 1:57 pm |
  22. Henry Miller, Cary, NC

Describing the Greens as "liberal" is an insult to liberals–and, on the whole, I think of liberals as opportunistic takers constantly whining for someone else, anyone else, to pay for their freebies.

"Eco-terrorists" would, I think, be a more apt description.

July 13, 2008 01:58 pm at 1:58 pm |
  23. Joe Reg

She looks dazzled by it all.

Good luck Madam Pres.

July 13, 2008 02:00 pm at 2:00 pm |
  24. Charlotte

Hey, a female who happens to be black. I would like to know about her positions and experience. Maybe CNN will at least give her some air time...

July 13, 2008 02:06 pm at 2:06 pm |
  25. kelvin mays

if they think by nominating a black woman to that non existant party that they are going to screw this history up they are sadly mistaken. This will be a historicalyear for the american people.

July 13, 2008 02:10 pm at 2:10 pm |