July 14th, 2008

McCain: Voters are tired of 'the cable monster'

McCain had a few media gripes on Monday.
McCain had a few media gripes on Monday.

SAN DIEGO (CNN) – The man who once jokingly described the political press corps as “my base” has a few complaints about the state of American media.

In a New York Times interview Sunday, John McCain lamented the non-stop news cycle spawned by cable news and the Internet.

“We are in a situation today where all words are parsed, all comments are diagnosed and looked at for whatever effect they might have,” he told the newspaper. “We have to feed the beast, the hourly cable shows, the instant news in the blogs and all that. That is just the situation that we’re in, and I’m not complaining about it, because that would be both foolish and a waste of time.”

But on Monday, addressing the National Council of La Raza, McCain did air a few complaints. He once again challenged Barack Obama to a series of town hall-style campaign events, calling it the only way to have an uncluttered dialogue with voters.

“A lot of Americans have a expressed their frustration with the sound bites, the charges back and forth, the cable monster that has to have a news story every hour,” McCain said, calling it a “disappointment” Obama has yet to agree to a town hall.

Despite the fact that both McCain and Obama organize daily conference calls featuring campaign surrogates, the senator said voters are “tired” of surrogates and their gaffes.

Filed under: John McCain
  1. Mark Anthony - Lake Elsinore, CA

McCain just wait until Oct-Nov and you can have your townhall debates, unless they have them on the weekend and we all know McCain doesn't work weekends. The old man needs his rest, lol.

July 14, 2008 06:10 pm at 6:10 pm |
  2. RED STATE

You're right, Americans have had more fun listening to your own Gaffes. Why blame a surrogate for a misstatement when you have made plenty yourself.

July 14, 2008 06:11 pm at 6:11 pm |
  3. Saad from NJ

Ha ha ha.... welcome to capitalism... in which we have seen a revolution or evolution or whatever the heck one wants to call it..... like never ever before.....

Technology is, or indeed could be a beast.... it has resulted in us being more of an "EFFICIENT SOCIETY" than we have ever been before.... News used to take a million years to get around, some never got it.... now, we get it right away, scrutinize it and manipulate it on immediate basis.... with good or bad intentions is a different story.... nonetheless, that's called "Efficient" in business terms.

It has no ending so one has to adjust or they will stay behind... isn't that what the basis of capitalism is?

July 14, 2008 06:11 pm at 6:11 pm |
  4. BIFF HUSSEIN BIFFINGTON

how about 'this' latest misstatement from the man himself –

McCain Defends Czechoslovakia, A Non-Existent Country - Again

Czechoslovakia, of course, split into two separate countries in 1993.

July 14, 2008 06:13 pm at 6:13 pm |
  5. Obamalism

Say no to socialism. Say no to Obama.

Say no to his policies.

I will not pay more taxes so he can add more cradle to grave social programs. I will not pay more taxes to pander to 'ILLEGAL' immigrants. I will NOT learn Spanish. I will own a gun. I will make my own decisions about my healthcare. I will not allow Iran to become nuclear. I will not pacify terrorist. I will not walk away from a war that we are winning. I don't want the government to pay for my and others gas with my tax money. I won't pay more taxes for the man made global warming hoax. I will not contribute to Al Gores bank account.

Merci Beaucoup

July 14, 2008 06:13 pm at 6:13 pm |
  6. David, Silver Spring, MD

I don't recall McCain saying anything like this when the Rev. Wright clip was being played over and over and over and over.

July 14, 2008 06:13 pm at 6:13 pm |
  7. DAREN IN MIAMI

McCain welcome to the "LIMELIGHT" If you cant takethe heat of your media mishapps, you might wanna quit the race "FRIEND"

July 14, 2008 06:14 pm at 6:14 pm |
  8. garry

I am still for Edwards.........or Huckabee

July 14, 2008 06:17 pm at 6:17 pm |
  9. Rachel

John, its like pulling teeth to get Obama to do a debate good luck with that.

July 14, 2008 06:17 pm at 6:17 pm |
  10. JIM...TX

I doubt I could stay awake long enough during a town meeting with McBush babbling to get much out of one:)

July 14, 2008 06:18 pm at 6:18 pm |
  11. A NATION OF WHINERS

MCBUSH COMPLAINING ABOUT THE MEDIA & BLOGGERS.

AND IT MAKES SENSE. HAVING 300 VIDEOS CONTRADICTING

HIMSELF, NOT EXACTLY SOMETHING HE CAN DEAL WITH.

July 14, 2008 06:18 pm at 6:18 pm |
  12. people say No to McCain

two things strike me as being funny with this...
    1) McCain even flip flops on complaining
    and
    2) McCain is cool with the press as long as they (including CNN) say nothing about the USS Forrestal, the GI Bill, his flip flop on immigration, off shore drilling, abortion, his own voting record, Phil Gramm, Keating 5 and so on and so on and so on.
    John McCain has no idea as to what he is doing, this is NOT an American Hero, for to be a Hero one must show bravery...not give up Military information to the enemy...IF he is such a HERO why do most Vets think of him as a ZERO?

July 14, 2008 06:18 pm at 6:18 pm |
  13. Linda K.

I agree with McCain here, though I would never vote for him. I miss the days of Walter Cronkite. We don't need twenty-four hour news broadcasts. I'm tired of all the analysis.

July 14, 2008 06:19 pm at 6:19 pm |
  14. Eric in Ca

The MSM continues to perpetuate a divisive gottacha mentality, rather than focus on the issues, the lies, and the hope & progress of the future!

Last I checked we're all Americans!

Obama 08

July 14, 2008 06:19 pm at 6:19 pm |
  15. people say No to McCain

CNN PLEASE POST_________________

Your comment is awaiting moderation.
    two things strike me as being funny with this…
    1) McCain even flip flops on complaining
    and
    John McCain has no idea as to what he is doing, this is NOT an American Hero, for to be a Hero one must show bravery…not give up Military information to the enemy…IF he is such a HERO why do most Vets think of him as a ZERO?

July 14, 2008 06:19 pm at 6:19 pm |
  16. E.G.

I really really REALLY don't want to hear McCain making the same tired old excuses....if they did a town hall debate, Obama would eat him alive. He really needs to work on the teleprompter thing, you know?

July 14, 2008 06:19 pm at 6:19 pm |
  17. carlo

Your surrogates don't slip up nearly as much as you do McCain.

July 14, 2008 06:20 pm at 6:20 pm |
  18. Stacey Ellis

On this point (and this point only) I agree with McCain. The cable shows have too much power. They present a one-sided view of the stories. They do more to make news than report news. I am tired of them too.

July 14, 2008 06:20 pm at 6:20 pm |
  19. Erick FL

I'm don't like how Obama does not want to have town hall meetings with McCain....why? Not even 1 town hall meeting, why???
    Reminds me when Clinton wanted to debate him more & he refused.
    Obama is a wimp!

July 14, 2008 06:20 pm at 6:20 pm |
  20. LT in Cali

“A lot of Americans have a expressed their frustration with the sound bites, the charges back and forth, the cable monster that has to have a news story every hour,” – Then why are you participating in just these same practices in EVERY speech?

Americans “don’t want hear the misstatement,” McCain said. “They don’t want to hear the surrogate who may have made a mistake.” – Then why do you have them speaking for you? You are just as ridiculous as Carly was over the weekend, you know, the surrogate that was speaking on your behalf saying that we don't pay attention to what she is saying?

McCain has just realized that the media is actually recording EVERYTHING he says.

I watched the last half of his speech today and the Q & A session after that. The last couple of questions had him running off stage like his rear was on fire. He even got a little heated with the first question. It was really funny and I have a feeling he lost a lot of potential votes today. These people did not seem to embrace him at all.

July 14, 2008 06:21 pm at 6:21 pm |
  21. Janet WV for Obama

He has no problem with FOX "noise" which continually spins lies and misinformation for him. Believe me, he doesn't want to debate Obama who will make him look like the forgetful person he is.

July 14, 2008 06:22 pm at 6:22 pm |
  22. Obama4change

McCain knows that the Huffington Post and Countdown with Keith Olbermann are printing the truth. He appears to be suffering from Alzheimer's and does not make much sense must of the time. This is the main reason Cindy McCain and his sidekick - Joe Libermann are always by his side but they cannot control his mouth and he ends up making the gaffes himself. He should take responsibility of this instead of blaming his surrogates. McCain does not have any problems in slamming Obama, especially when Obama used "refine" and McCain turned in to, he is agreeing with me, he has changed his mind about the war ending. The lapdogs - main stream media - are right there with McCain covering all his mistakes, but making up stuff about Obama or what he says.

July 14, 2008 06:23 pm at 6:23 pm |
  23. Dr.Mimi De La Cruz

IT'S THE MEDIA'S FAULT THAT MCBUSH IS LOSING.

IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE FACT THAT HE CAN'T

EVEN REMEMBER WHO & WHERE, WE ARE FIGHTING.

AND IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH HIS SUPPORT OF

EVERYTHING BUSH, IN RETURN FOR THAT MONEY.

July 14, 2008 06:23 pm at 6:23 pm |
  24. too old to give speaches

dumped his wife when he returned from Vietnam because she was too old...

Maybe if you didn't dump her then Ronald Reagan might have helped you...

now don't complain if we don't want and old guy running the country

July 14, 2008 06:24 pm at 6:24 pm |
  25. Janet WV for Obama

McCain doesn't have to wait for a surrogate to make a mistake speaking. He does just fine by himself.

July 14, 2008 06:24 pm at 6:24 pm |