July 14th, 2008

Obama suddenly the cash underdog?

Obama Campaign Manager David Plouffe says McCain has the financial advantage.
Obama Campaign Manager David Plouffe says McCain has the financial advantage.

(CNN) - Is Barack Obama the new campaign cash underdog?

Obama campaign manager David Plouffe seemed to say Monday that the Illinois senator - who has raised well over $275 million and smashed just about every political fundraising record over the course of his 18-month bid for the White House - might find himself at a disadvantage against a joint effort by the Republican National Committee and John McCain's presidential campaign that told reporters last week it had nearly $100 million cash-on-hand as of June 30.

In an e-mail to potential donors, Plouffe said the Arizona senator has benefited from a beefed up fundraising effort "by collecting huge checks from Washington lobbyists and special interest PACs."

"[McCain's] financial position has improved in the last month. The RNC's cash on hand has risen. So now we face a position where McCain and the RNC have $96 million in the bank," Plouffe said in a Web video posted on the campaign's Web site.

Election Center: How the candidates matchup on fundraising

"They are using the RNC money, and they are using the McCain money they were able to raise while we were engaged in the primary to really spend a lot of money out there," he added.

"We have to make sure we are matching that. The only way we cand do that is for you all to continue to help us. We can't count on anybody else. We can't wait for a cavalry out there. The cavalry doesn't exist."

As of the end of May, Obama's campaign reported approximately $43 million cash on hand, of which roughly $10 million were general election funds. The campaign has yet to release its second quarter financial information.

The Democratic National Committee is expected to be of little help to the Obama campaign. On the heels of a strategy imposed by DNC chairman Howard Dean that seeks to beef up organization in all 50 states, the committee finds itself with virtually no money in the bank. As of the end of May, the DNC reported only $4 million cash on hand, $50 million less than the RNC had during the same time period.

1. rumpusgoopus

I hate to keep harping on this, but this is exactly why Obama had to forgo public financing.

On another note, at least Obama is raising his money from everyday Americans, and not special interest groups, lobbyists, the rich, and PACs.

July 14, 2008 02:16 pm at 2:16 pm |
  2. Ryan

I think that they are just trying to squeeze out as much money as they can from donor right now and their current way of doing it is by using the McCain campaign's words. I am guessing that Obama and the DNC probably far outraised McCain and the RNC in June and are just waiting until the last moment to announce.

July 14, 2008 02:16 pm at 2:16 pm |
  3. BHO Not my candidate

Howard Dean, dont expect any money from me... you failed me and the rest of the people in your party... I hope the national committee goes broke and your fired.

OHIO DEMOCRATS FOR MCCAIN ....

July 14, 2008 02:17 pm at 2:17 pm |
  4. Capt. Smash, Salt Lake City, Utah

Yes, yes we are the underdogs, just sent another 500.00.

July 14, 2008 02:17 pm at 2:17 pm |
  5. Doris,Memphis,TN

Many of my friends and I are waiting until Hillary Clinton's debt
    is settled before we start sending money to Barack again.
    We don't want any of our money to go to her campaign.
    She made a mess of everything by staying in the race to
    long!

July 14, 2008 02:18 pm at 2:18 pm |
  6. tx girl

...and the DNC will just have to lie in its bed! Shame on them for circumventing democracy! There will be hell to pay.

July 14, 2008 02:18 pm at 2:18 pm |
  7. David Peter

There ya have it: McBush takes his orders from rich fat cats and their mile-high clubs. He is an elitist who speaks for big business.

July 14, 2008 02:18 pm at 2:18 pm |
  8. ObamaMan in NJ

Barack, more $$ are on the way.
    McCain/Bush will NOT win this time!

July 14, 2008 02:19 pm at 2:19 pm |
  9. bernj

Can Plouffe spell FISA?

I suspect the money will come. I also suspect that some small donors, like me, did not appreciate the Senator's capitulation on FISA. I intend to donate again but not until, and unless, I hear and see a real commitment from Senator Obama to restore the Bill of Rights. FISA is unconstitutional and Senator Obama knows it as does the party leadership.

July 14, 2008 02:19 pm at 2:19 pm |
  10. gary

I am donating.

July 14, 2008 02:20 pm at 2:20 pm |
  11. DEBBY

Just donated another $25 today...sick of this mess.
    BARACK THE VOTE !!

July 14, 2008 02:21 pm at 2:21 pm |
  12. Pete

This is because they keep demonizing Obama. His message is being blocked by the news media who keep reporting fluff of evil!

July 14, 2008 02:21 pm at 2:21 pm |
  13. Jeff Radun

He Obama shot his load in the primary season.
    Do you think small donars are going to continue to send him another 270 million.
    He will have to make due with what he got and do the best he can.
    If he is lucky he will raise another 100 million for the general while McCain has 100 Mil and will get another 84 mil in puplic help.

Now that Obama has changed his position on many issues he might get their votes but many donars will not send him anymore money, and many Hillary supporters will not send him money until his supporters help retire her dept.

July 14, 2008 02:21 pm at 2:21 pm |
  14. Can we just be American?

okay Obama – I will make my donation this upcoming payday..... we will support you and keep the cash coming!!!!!!

July 14, 2008 02:22 pm at 2:22 pm |
  15. atypical

I've got your back OBama, and so do others. It will be the 10.00, 20.00 and 50.00 contributions that get you there.

I appeal to all of those in support of Obama, or not for McCain to help in whatever way you can. I made another 25.00 contribution today.

McCAin=Bush,and No we Can't!

July 14, 2008 02:22 pm at 2:22 pm |
  16. Herman in LA

That all I need to hear Barack another $100.00 on the way as long as it's not going to Hillary I will donate...

July 14, 2008 02:22 pm at 2:22 pm |
  17. Rachel

hmm a ploy to get more money?? I am debating whether or not to donate it all depends on if Obama really plans on putting Hillary to use or just taking her ideas.

July 14, 2008 02:23 pm at 2:23 pm |
  18. No McBUSH

$$$$$$$$$$$I

I just donated $500 !

Down with McPander, McLies and McNot.born.in.USA!!

July 14, 2008 02:23 pm at 2:23 pm |
  19. konjit

No - Problem - there are high and low moments– I just donated and have urged my friends to do the samecomeon democrats we can do it - make history. Donate!!!!

July 14, 2008 02:23 pm at 2:23 pm |
  20. jacob

Jessee Jackson, The newYorker,John McLaughlin,fox news who keep attacking Obama are the ones that are keeping him from doing well financially. They need to stop these attacks. Yesterday when Obama said he is going to Germany there was all this talk of Obama-gate and the reasons why he should not make a speech there. Where are the real reporters!

We need to raise money and they need to leave Obama alone!

July 14, 2008 02:25 pm at 2:25 pm |
  21. Candidate of Change?

Is it too late for Barack Obama to flop-flip on public campaign financing?

July 14, 2008 02:25 pm at 2:25 pm |
  22. proud army and navy mom

The repugs has always raised more money than democrats because they take special interests money and they cash in on all the favors that they do for their rich friends. (you know the ones that lobbies them)

That's why they have soooo much money. remember Ken Lay, and all the other criminals that called themselves republicans.

If you raise money the honest way it was intended, of course with times are the pitiful way they are, it's going to be hard. Maybe that why bush and cheney wanted to put the economy in the toilet, to make sure people who didn't agree with them, have no voice. Think about it....

July 14, 2008 02:25 pm at 2:25 pm |
  23. Joe PA

Just gave my monthly donation of $25.00 today.

OBAMA '08& '12

July 14, 2008 02:26 pm at 2:26 pm |
  24. Demagogue

CNN POST AN ARTICLE- OBAMA SLIPS 2 POINTS IN POLLS!!!!!!!!!!!!

You make a big deal when he goes up by 2 points in polls against McCain.

FACT: Obama is a career politician and a master manipulator. People are starting to take notice of this. He has fooled all the sheople that he can. More and more PEOple are seeing through his pandering.

July 14, 2008 02:26 pm at 2:26 pm |
  25. Cynthia

A lot of the Obama small donors are worried and don't understand that their money won't go to paying Senator Clinton's debt and are holding back on sending money. Some kind of way he needs to make sure that people understand that it won't go there.

July 14, 2008 02:26 pm at 2:26 pm |