July 14th, 2008

Obama suddenly the cash underdog?

Obama Campaign Manager David Plouffe says McCain has the financial advantage.
Obama Campaign Manager David Plouffe says McCain has the financial advantage.

(CNN) - Is Barack Obama the new campaign cash underdog?

Obama campaign manager David Plouffe seemed to say Monday that the Illinois senator - who has raised well over $275 million and smashed just about every political fundraising record over the course of his 18-month bid for the White House - might find himself at a disadvantage against a joint effort by the Republican National Committee and John McCain's presidential campaign that told reporters last week it had nearly $100 million cash-on-hand as of June 30.

In an e-mail to potential donors, Plouffe said the Arizona senator has benefited from a beefed up fundraising effort "by collecting huge checks from Washington lobbyists and special interest PACs."

"[McCain's] financial position has improved in the last month. The RNC's cash on hand has risen. So now we face a position where McCain and the RNC have $96 million in the bank," Plouffe said in a Web video posted on the campaign's Web site.

Election Center: How the candidates matchup on fundraising

"They are using the RNC money, and they are using the McCain money they were able to raise while we were engaged in the primary to really spend a lot of money out there," he added.

"We have to make sure we are matching that. The only way we cand do that is for you all to continue to help us. We can't count on anybody else. We can't wait for a cavalry out there. The cavalry doesn't exist."

As of the end of May, Obama's campaign reported approximately $43 million cash on hand, of which roughly $10 million were general election funds. The campaign has yet to release its second quarter financial information.

The Democratic National Committee is expected to be of little help to the Obama campaign. On the heels of a strategy imposed by DNC chairman Howard Dean that seeks to beef up organization in all 50 states, the committee finds itself with virtually no money in the bank. As of the end of May, the DNC reported only $4 million cash on hand, $50 million less than the RNC had during the same time period.

1. cherry strawberry

Barack my 100.00 is on the way! Obama08

July 14, 2008 02:34 pm at 2:34 pm |
  2. mike

I think the American people will put the candidate they want into the WH, not special interests and others with deep pockets. I believe we may surprise a lot of people in November

July 14, 2008 02:35 pm at 2:35 pm |
  3. Bayou Joe

I love it, the Democrats are broke. Just like they broke the financial system by sitting on their derriers while the mortgage crisis was starting to happen.

No money, No ideas, No experience, No Obama in the Whitehouse.

It is what it is.

July 14, 2008 02:35 pm at 2:35 pm |
  4. Leo

Does any body else see this?
    I mean there is actually a chance of electing a president thats not a war mongering oil profiteer and the best our elected democratic officials can do is 4million.
    The republicans know- Money gets people elected!
    You push enough money into the right pockets and you'll get everyone on your side.
    Just look at Iraq!
    One month everyones blowing eachother up then a few months later everyones quiet as a mouse and if you think it was the "surge" your mistaken.
    100% bribes to the politicians, militias, sectarian groups and religious leaders they all got a piece.

July 14, 2008 02:35 pm at 2:35 pm |
  5. Teddy

Obama campain and Howard Dean are not managing the money wisely. They are spending money in reddest states! I heard they were even spending money in Utah!

Obama should have accepted the public financing. That is 84 million dollars! If people want to contribute to his campain, they can be directed to contribute to the DNC. If donors do not know or do not want to contribute to DNC, but want to contribute to Obama's campain. They are pretty dumb donors. By the way, most money contributed to Obama's campain now is coming from big donors, not small donors. These donors should know how to contribute to DNC.

July 14, 2008 02:36 pm at 2:36 pm |
  6. Asian4Obama

I will contribute to Obama and DNC today and every friday when I get my paycheck. Every Penny is worth it this time!

July 14, 2008 02:36 pm at 2:36 pm |
  7. A R in Oklahoma

I have been donating and will donate again to help you out Barack. This is our campaign, not the campaign of the special interest groups and the lobbiests! "We are the ones we have been waiting for"

Obama 08!

July 14, 2008 02:36 pm at 2:36 pm |
  8. David from Ohio

I beg to differ–it is the Hillary fanatics who keep threatening to vote for McCain who are not a dependable base in the Democratic Party. You aren't true Democrats so stop pretending to be. McCain is a dinosaur and the GOP doesn't have 1/2 an idea among them. The Republican's aren't going to be able to buy the election this time around.

July 14, 2008 02:36 pm at 2:36 pm |
  9. Justine, Fresno, CA

Doris from Memphis TN stated:

"Many of my friends and I are waiting until Hillary Clinton's debt
    is settled before we start sending money to Barack again.
    We don't want any of our money to go to her campaign.
    She made a mess of everything by staying in the race to
    long!"
    ---------------------
    I agree 100% and I too am waiting to see how Hilary's debt is settled. There is no reason to help recoup the millions that she "loaned" to her campaign. That was her decision not the DNC. When I donated to the Obama campaign it was not so that the money could be given to Hillary...

July 14, 2008 02:36 pm at 2:36 pm |
  10. Ol' Johnny

I donated again to Hillary today. I supported her throughout the primary and I still support her now. I will never send my money to Obama and his campaign of flip-floppers (FISA, Iraq War, Campaign Finance, Special Interest, The Cuba Embargo, Illegal Immigration, Decriminalization of Marijuana, etc.). If anybody has anything to say to me, let me be the first to say right back to you that you are the idiots. You want us to help Clinton and that is exactly what I am doing. I am going to help my candidate and I will not throw one penny to yours. All you Obama supporters know how to do is "WHINE". So, if you got something to say, post something with some substance and stop showing how much of an idiot you are.

July 14, 2008 02:37 pm at 2:37 pm |
  11. RUSerious

I have helped out the campaign a few times already, $30 here, $50 there. I don't mind, but I agree that I don't want to pay for Hillary's debt. Sorry Obama, I support you, but you have to let Hillary go. She is dead weight and will pull you down as far as possible to make herself look good.

Texas for Obama '08

July 14, 2008 02:37 pm at 2:37 pm |
  12. An American

Donated today, we can't afford 4 more years of Bush/McCain

July 14, 2008 02:37 pm at 2:37 pm |
  13. Election watcher

This is nonsense. Go to factcheck.org and see for yourself. Obama is trying to rewrite tthe rules to give his campaign unlimited spending while clipping the wings of McCain. That's the only way he can win. Just look at how it worked with Clinton, he outspent her 3 to 1 and still barely squeaked out a majority of delegates (and even that was suspect, since he was put over the top with Michigan delegates, ene though not a single Michigan ballot was cast for him)
    He's done this time and again, rewriting the rules to squeeze out his opposition, and when they call him on it he cries all the way to the bank.
    Just say Nobama!

July 14, 2008 02:37 pm at 2:37 pm |
  14. elmerg

I'm sure the telecoms will be happy to make up the difference...

July 14, 2008 02:38 pm at 2:38 pm |
  15. jj

If Mitt Romney was the republican nominee - something the Bush family, Rove and many conservatives wish - he would forego public financing, use his own fortune and wealthy donors, and he would be heralded as an economic maverick who represents the free market at play in politics. Instead, they have John McCain who cannot inspire enough republicans to cough up their dough. Obama was willing to work something out with McCain about the financing and McCain refused, knowing he could play this politically. Obama's campaign IS being publicly financed, by millions of small donors like me, instead of a handful of extremely wealthy individuals or lobbies. What angers conservatives is that a democrat is beating them at what is supposed to be their own game.

July 14, 2008 02:38 pm at 2:38 pm |
  16. Tejano

Americans are broke and you insinuate that the average American is putting money into Obama's campaign? Give me a break. The money for the Dems and Obama is coming from Liberal PACS, Labor Unions, and possibly overseas via the internet. That does not even inclucde the ACLU, Green Peace, Earth Liberation Front , the Sierra Club... ad nauseum....

July 14, 2008 02:38 pm at 2:38 pm |
  17. Steve

Some seem to misunderstand the thing about paying down the Clinton debt. If you contribute to the Obama campaign, there is NO WAY that money can go to the Clinton campaign. It's against the law. Obama is merely asking his supporters to give directly to the Clinton campaign if they are so inclined. If you give money to Obama's campaign, it will absolutely not be transferred to Clinton's debt.

I will be sending more money to the Obama campaign soon. :)

*waves to the phony "Democrats for McCain"

July 14, 2008 02:39 pm at 2:39 pm |
  18. Peter, MA

Obama is in no way similar to bush the liar. Im glad he didnt accept public funding, the repubs criticize everything anyway.
    Obama all the way!

July 14, 2008 02:39 pm at 2:39 pm |
  19. E. de Leon

I'm a lifelong Democrat and had contributed to Sen. Clinton's primary campaign. So many of us felt betrayed by the DNC just to put Obama in the pedestal,. Pelosi the Speaker of the House, et all, you should be ashamed. A quarter of the 18 million democrats according to your poll will stay home come November and the rest will vote for Sen. McCain and I'm one of them. HRC 2012!

July 14, 2008 02:40 pm at 2:40 pm |
  20. Canadian black man for Obama.

Please help if you can!

Republican has special interest money/lobbyiest and pac money to spend. These are the people Mccain will answer to when if he became president.

Obama has ordinary American money to spend the people Obama will answer to when he became President Of the United State Of America.

Choose one, the person that will answer to you or the people that will answer to the big rich boss?

Please help Obama!

Media are attacking our guy and we can't stay idol.
    God Bless America

July 14, 2008 02:41 pm at 2:41 pm |
  21. Guy Craig

Hillary Debt Pay Off?,,,,FISA Vote!...want more reasons......ANSWER IS NO!

July 14, 2008 02:41 pm at 2:41 pm |
  22. Brandon Hillary PUMA for Mc Cain-Pa

Welcome Obama to what the real campaign- accontability and attacks something you did not encounter in January and February.
    Now you will finally be held to something called a standard not the double standard you were use to when you fought Hillary.

PUMA-Obama we are mad as hell and not going anywhere.

July 14, 2008 02:41 pm at 2:41 pm |
  23. Debby

I guess Obama's supporters are starting to get tapped out. He raised so much for his primary now that he is in he can't get the funds for the general. McCain got in fast so he was able to keep generating funds. It doesn't matter it sounds like Obama is starting to wilt in his popularity anyway.

July 14, 2008 02:41 pm at 2:41 pm |
  24. meg,baltimore,md

At last! A Democratic presidential candidate who's smart, tough, and in it to win. I am delighted by his decision to opt out of public financing. He and the party will now have ability to combat the smears that will certainly be coming from the RNC and the 527's.

July 14, 2008 02:41 pm at 2:41 pm |