July 14th, 2008

Obama suddenly the cash underdog?

Obama Campaign Manager David Plouffe says McCain has the financial advantage.
Obama Campaign Manager David Plouffe says McCain has the financial advantage.

(CNN) - Is Barack Obama the new campaign cash underdog?

Obama campaign manager David Plouffe seemed to say Monday that the Illinois senator - who has raised well over $275 million and smashed just about every political fundraising record over the course of his 18-month bid for the White House - might find himself at a disadvantage against a joint effort by the Republican National Committee and John McCain's presidential campaign that told reporters last week it had nearly $100 million cash-on-hand as of June 30.

In an e-mail to potential donors, Plouffe said the Arizona senator has benefited from a beefed up fundraising effort "by collecting huge checks from Washington lobbyists and special interest PACs."

"[McCain's] financial position has improved in the last month. The RNC's cash on hand has risen. So now we face a position where McCain and the RNC have $96 million in the bank," Plouffe said in a Web video posted on the campaign's Web site.

Election Center: How the candidates matchup on fundraising

"They are using the RNC money, and they are using the McCain money they were able to raise while we were engaged in the primary to really spend a lot of money out there," he added.

"We have to make sure we are matching that. The only way we cand do that is for you all to continue to help us. We can't count on anybody else. We can't wait for a cavalry out there. The cavalry doesn't exist."

As of the end of May, Obama's campaign reported approximately $43 million cash on hand, of which roughly $10 million were general election funds. The campaign has yet to release its second quarter financial information.

The Democratic National Committee is expected to be of little help to the Obama campaign. On the heels of a strategy imposed by DNC chairman Howard Dean that seeks to beef up organization in all 50 states, the committee finds itself with virtually no money in the bank. As of the end of May, the DNC reported only $4 million cash on hand, $50 million less than the RNC had during the same time period.

1. Obamaphilia

It seems the Obama Haters continues to drink their Haterade daily. Thanks to power hungry, egotistical, delusional Hillary Clinton My boy Barack has to pay back that nut for her relentless hanging on to a win that was never hers. Make no mind Obama the American people will elect you President of the US come this November. My monthly contribution of $25.00 is coming tomorrow when I get paid.

Also as it gets closer to the Nomination I will donate $50.00 every pay check.

Now take that HATERS!

Obama 08'

July 14, 2008 03:10 pm at 3:10 pm |
  2. Alyx -- Pittsburgh, PA

The DNC and Obama will continue to be the underdogs - so long as Obama is attempting to draw in the moderate right by voting with the extreme right (e.g. FISA!). No more of my small donor money will go to Obama or the DNC until I see some of what I paid for: an idealistic liberal who is willing to go the distance for the changes this country needs.

July 14, 2008 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  3. BIFF HUSSEIN BIFFINGTON

I will make my fourth $100 contribution to Obama, and I will make my first donation to Hillary. ($50).

We have to get serious Americans. Democrats, Moderate Republicans, Independants, Hillary supporters. Please read this with an OPEN mind and heart. This is exactly why Obama opted out of the public financing. He 'knew' the Republicans would circumvent the system just as they always do. This time is the most blatant with an "arm" of the RNC that was set up as a pac, and is allowed to receive contributions up to 70 freaking-thousand dollars. (amazing). and now all that was predictions regarding being outspent by Republicans is happening...

i think it is the saddest thing in the world that Obama is fighting this hard against the political machines that have run the country over the past 50 years, has this little support to show for it. Whether you know it, or not; whether you choose to believe it , or not... HE IS FIGHTING FOR YOU! But too many people can't see past race or staggering relentless propaganda to actually SEE the candidate who has their best interests at heart.

The big money, right wing GOP has literally NEVER done ANYTHING "for the PEOPLE", yet trick and scare, and lie people into voting against their own best interests, time, and time, and time again.

Now this time, they have an opponent who comes with the type of built-in fears they could only DREAM of exploiting. America, PLEASE....
    please don't fall for it this time. There is a REASON things in this country are so bad. America will never be destroyed from without...
    it can only happen form within.. and just look where we are.

July 14, 2008 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  4. Obama Supporter from FL

PEOPLE!!! It is illegal for Obama to give his donations to Hillary. It's not possible and he won't do it – so feel free to donate. ;)

July 14, 2008 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  5. Judah

I donated my last three paychecks to Obama, because David Plouffe keeps telling me he is in trouble. I will keep doing so until the Barack can deliver us to the Promised Land.

Obama '08

July 14, 2008 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  6. Matt

The truth is coming out about Obama. He is losing support. There is far more coverage for Obama than McCain, yet McCain continues to gain support.

Continue to fight for freedom, my fellow Republicans! We must not allow the United States to become an Obamanation.

July 14, 2008 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  7. Jamaal kansas

Mcshame and his campaign is funded by lobbyist and special interest

July 14, 2008 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |
  8. Peter of Oregon

HRC will never see a cent from me due to her recklessly dragging the race on until she was forced to quit.

I'm waiting for her PUMA "supporters" to settle her debt.

This is a true test of the real support she has among those that voted for her and claim to be her supporters.

They say they have $18 Million votes, but she's been unable to raise $100,000 since her campaign ended. I'm hearing that they've started to raise money for the RNC and McCain who they probably really supported all along.

Those are supporters we can do without. They are all talk and no substance.

July 14, 2008 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |
  9. Real Americans Vote Issues

I'm not worried. The RNC got all of its money from PACs & Lobbiests, but don't worry Obama, we're coming through, just like we did during the primaries. Unfortunately, you were kept in the primary WAY too long and didn't have a chance to actually get working on GE money, thanks your pal and mine, HRC. Had she dropped out MONTHS AGO WHEN SHE COULDN'T WIN, she would've a) kept herself out of debt instead of expecting us to pay her back, and b) given you time to gather and work on fund raising. Thanks to her and her "Hillary or Bust" fanatics, the Dems are going to have a hard time in the easiest year to win. WTG Clinton in Destroying the party.

July 14, 2008 03:14 pm at 3:14 pm |
  10. Tom

This is what the DNC deserves. They did everything they could think of to make Barrack Obama their candidate for President. At a time when a unifier is needed, looking toward the middle was right and Hilary was the right person. Instead, they are now rolling out the new centrist Obama and it dont work. Not thanks, Ill vote McCain.

July 14, 2008 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |
  11. Cheryl L. Swaim

Too bad, Plouffe. You shouldn't have run such a mean campaign. You won't get any money from me. Neither will the DNC. You trash my candidate and then expect my support. You're a loser, Plouffe!
    Cheryl
    McKinney '08

July 14, 2008 03:16 pm at 3:16 pm |
  12. Karl Rove (Virginia)

I got your back. Sending $ 50. The status quo will not win this time

July 14, 2008 03:16 pm at 3:16 pm |
  13. CNN = Jerry Springer of news

Did I go back in time two months or something? Why are so-called Hillary supporters acting like we are still running a primary? It seems for a couple of weeks I wasn't seeing as many of these obnoxious comments. If you don't want to support Obama, fine, but none of us are paying attention to the threats of 'former Dems' not voting or voting McCain. Obviously you are never going to change your opinion because you are closed-minded, but these comments are getting redundant and boring. Not to mention they all seem to come from the same half dozen people...

July 14, 2008 03:17 pm at 3:17 pm |
  14. Teddy California

It may not be a good idea for either Republicans or Democrats to win Presidency this year.

Regardless of who will become President, the U.S. will like enter another war with Iran. I do not think Iran will back down on the nuclear issue. They said they were not developing nuclear weapon. They said they were building nuclear power plants. But Israelis and Americans do not want Iran to have the nuclear technologies. That is because if Iran knows how to build nuclear plants, they can then build nuclear weapons within a short time if they decide to do so. For instance, some Japanese nationalists boasted that Japan could build many nuclear weapons within a year. Therefore, Israel and U.S. will not leave chance to Iran. They would not allow Iran to have nuclear technologies. Will Iran back down? Unlikely.

Oil prices will continue to be high.

America will have tough times in the next few years. The party in the white house will get the blame.

July 14, 2008 03:17 pm at 3:17 pm |
  15. NOVA

He will have all he needs, because It is his "Obama" destiny to be President of the United States of America. November 2008 a time of change and the world will be blessed. USA prosperity in the making, enjoy the ride.

July 14, 2008 03:17 pm at 3:17 pm |
  16. Terry

Why don't the 18 million Hillary supporters pay off her debt? If they each donated $1 dollar, it would be paid off.

July 14, 2008 03:17 pm at 3:17 pm |
  17. I voted for the BEST

I can honestly say that I voted my conscience in the democratic primary- I voted on issues, not perception. I voted for the person, not who ran the better campaign. I voted for the most qualified, most accomplished, most experienced candidate. I voted for the person with the courage of her convictions and who knew her policy points inside out.

I did not care for the race-baiting, the race-card playing, the hatred, the filthy vulgar insults and the name-calling used by the Obama campaign, his pundits and the media to try to demean, discredit, debase and mock both HRC and her supporters.

I played no race or gender games and I did not vote on a media image or a propaganda campaign.

CAN THE OBAMA VOTERS CLAIM THE SAME?

July 14, 2008 03:18 pm at 3:18 pm |
  18. American Woman

Awe poor Obama...if he didn't have to outspend Hillary 5 to 1 to get the nomination maybe he would have some cash on hand...I think it's funny as all get out...like anyone believed he raised all that money from little ole ladies...haha..maye it's his flip flopping act that has slowed this cash cow down...LOL...BTW....if the DNC had elected our nominee instead of Selecting then maybe the DNC would be able to raise some money....it's true what goes around comes around....

PUMA DEMOCRAT voting for John McCain....

July 14, 2008 03:18 pm at 3:18 pm |
  19. Griff

That's because Borack Obama wasted so much, trying to beat Hillary..
    To me, he is still loseing... Wasting......

July 14, 2008 03:19 pm at 3:19 pm |
  20. Redbird

This is shameful propoganda put out by the Obama campaign. There is nothing worse than the pot calling the kettle black.

July 14, 2008 03:19 pm at 3:19 pm |
  21. yub

This column reminds me of how many times the Republicans have cried wolf and how many times Karl Rove has done his Chicken Little routine.

Fortunately, those days will soon be ancient history.

July 14, 2008 03:19 pm at 3:19 pm |
  22. Luke

PUMA= People Uttering Mindless Atrocities
    You know why Democrats don't win? We can't suck it up and unite behind a candidate! That's something the Republicans seem to be good at. You don't see any idiots saying that they are voting for Obama because Huckabee didn't win.

July 14, 2008 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |

Howard Dean is GONE
    Howard Dean is GONE
    Howard Dean is GONE
    Howard Dean is GONE

July 14, 2008 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  24. chavez

Obama '08! It makes me want to send another donation. I think I will.

July 14, 2008 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  25. Lisa

You can donate to Barack's campaign all you what. Use your lunch money, max your credit cards, pawn your jewelry, do what you have to do but he's still not going to win anyway.

July 14, 2008 03:22 pm at 3:22 pm |