July 14th, 2008

Obama's NAACP speech to mark historic milestone

Obama will address the NAACP Monday night.
Obama will address the NAACP Monday night.

(CNN) - Sen. Barack Obama's speech Monday night to the NAACP will mark a historic first: an African-American presidential nominee of a major party will be addressing the nation's oldest civil rights organization.

The speech by the presumptive Democratic presidential nominee in Cincinnati will also highlight a new generation of black leadership forged not in the civil rights battles of '60s and '70s, but during subsequent decades in which many African-Americans made great strides culturally, politically and economically, but many more remained economically disadvantaged.

Watch: Obama talks about personal responsibility

Obama himself - the son of a black father and a white mother - has acknowledged that his candidacy is in large part due to the struggles of previous generations of black leaders. But he has avoided being labeled an African-American candidate, saying he wants to appeal to all racial and ethnic groups. That has led some to question whether Obama is focusing enough on the needs of the black community.

The generational divide was in full display last week when the Rev. Jesse Jackson, an African-American leader who has long held a place on the American political stage, expressed his frustration with Obama in a comment after an interview on Fox News.

Full story

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. Ric

McKinney '08

July 14, 2008 06:05 pm at 6:05 pm |
  2. marcinkus

I feel sorry for Obama. He'll never be black enough in the face of these frustrated so-called African American Leaders. He is where he is today because of white voters,not the African americans who only got on the bus after Iowa. He wouldn't be in this position today if he didn't win Iowa in the primaries.

July 14, 2008 06:05 pm at 6:05 pm |
  3. jean

I can't come to any conclusion other than the realization that those who deride his speeches to black people are racists. Objectively, I like his speeches. He giveves stunning speech. For those that see only evil and lies and obfuscation in them, I suggest you look in the mirror and consider your motives. And, oh, just because "some of your best friends are Black" doesn't mean you're not a racist.

July 14, 2008 06:07 pm at 6:07 pm |
  4. Ricky

Obama never won the nominee to begin with.
    Americans didn't know about him at the beginning of the primary season.
    Now we know how he feels about FISA, the war and drilling for oil.

Obama didn't mention his preacher, Reverend Wright, the domestic terrorist coworker William Ayers, the anti American Father Plaeger and his relationship with Louis Farrakhan.

Now that the Americans are seeing who this man really is, they don't want him. Maybe there is someway HRC can come back.

HELP save us from this Chicago two faced politician.

July 14, 2008 06:07 pm at 6:07 pm |
  5. Naomi

America will be a shinning country on a hill. I will be a pround American when Barack Obama will be the president next year.
    I can go to Kenya and say I am American. I can go to Italy and say I am American. I will go to any country and be seen as a person who lives in a country that is the only beacon of hope in the whole world.
    God bless America. God bless Obamas!

July 14, 2008 06:09 pm at 6:09 pm |
  6. harry

Just like – Abraham Lincoln, or JFK...?

July 14, 2008 06:11 pm at 6:11 pm |
  7. mitchell hussein martin

"The term "Oreo" is often viewed as a derogatory term toward some African-Americans who appear not to exhibit certain stereotypes of their race."

I saw how you took down every single one of my comments, but its OK Alexander Mooney. How about you go ahead and explain what the black stereotypes are since you know so much about black people. You are in the tank and everyone knows it. You only post blogs that are beneficial to Obama. Tell us the stereotypes you racist!!

July 14, 2008 06:11 pm at 6:11 pm |
  8. terry,va

I can't believe that anyone that listens to BHO doesn't think he is a racist. He goes to NAACP functions, constantly talks about Martin Luther King, and listened to Rev. Wright spew his black liberation theology and racist comments for 20 years. BHO won't debate McCain, won't have a town hall meeting with military groups but he will give speeches with groups like the NAACP. He has not brought this country together, he is driving us further apart.

July 14, 2008 06:12 pm at 6:12 pm |
  9. Brandon Hillary PUMA for Mc Cain-Pa

Obama panders on........His image is being created in the publics mind as we speak. African americans should wake up and vote Mc Kinney.

July 14, 2008 06:13 pm at 6:13 pm |
  10. Obamagal

To all of us who are making sense on this thread take heart – the vitriol, obfuscation and (there's no other way to put it) outrageous idiocy that is being spouted by Mccain supporters is comical, truly. It says, clearer than anything could, just how much Obama's speeches that so far has been a success.

The rabid are out tonight – lol. It makes me grin, in all truthfulness.

G'Obama!

WE ...

CAN!

July 14, 2008 06:14 pm at 6:14 pm |
  11. MJ

Why are you people so in love in Obama. He is treating you all like a pawn-You know nothng about him and he is so arrogant. MCCAIN WILL WIN THIS ELECTION. WAIT AND SEE. LIFELONG DEM Who is NOT VOTING FOR THE FAKE, PHONEY, ARROGANT, OBAMA!!!!!yOU People are so freaking clueless. By the way, I have 2 COLLEGE degrees and I am not an educated elite voting for OBAMA.

July 14, 2008 06:14 pm at 6:14 pm |
  12. Kenyans4Obama

We love you our son We wait for your presidency. Remember to come to Kenya some day even when the president!

July 14, 2008 06:15 pm at 6:15 pm |
  13. Obamalism

Why bother giving a speech to a crowd that supports him to the tune of 95%...

July 14, 2008 06:16 pm at 6:16 pm |
  14. ken

Lisa,
    Your negative words lead me to believe that you only take negative action, which only serves to leave you in the dark.

July 14, 2008 06:16 pm at 6:16 pm |
  15. Obamalism

Black Theology is not a religion. It's hate, pure and simple. This guy has been swimming in it his entire life. Half in the US and half god knows where...

July 14, 2008 06:16 pm at 6:16 pm |
  16. Ken

Give me a break. Everything Obama say is socalled "historic". The man can give a speech, that's it....nothing more. There's nothing historic about what he has said or will say. Stop rely on talk. Prove that he have done what he's been saying. Why is it that when people question Obama and his politics, they are instantly labeled as ignorant and racist?

July 14, 2008 06:18 pm at 6:18 pm |
  17. Erika

This notion that speeches mean nothing comes from the words of weaselling equivocators like Bill Clinton,(Hillary) and cortically dead mannikins like George W. Bush

July 14, 2008 06:18 pm at 6:18 pm |
  18. gotcha

Monica for obama in Indiana, last time I looked obama's father was very, very, very black. It doesnt matter if he was from Kenya, he was very black. And I hate saying African Americans. I dont consider myself a European American. They are black American, and I am a white American. Sheesh, how stupid can we get?

July 14, 2008 06:19 pm at 6:19 pm |
  19. Obamalism

Lisa has it right. LESS SPEECHES. MORE DEBATES.

A speech is a 1 sided debate. That's not how you get to know a candidate.

But I'm sure I'll be called racists for....i don't know what, but I'm sure I will.

July 14, 2008 06:19 pm at 6:19 pm |
  20. obama=underhanded liar

obama is only 6% black. He is Arab and white.His father's birth certificate states his father as Arab.He is not African American.He is a black Arab American. No matter.....he's still unfit to be president of this country.

July 14, 2008 06:19 pm at 6:19 pm |
  21. Jeff Long

I tried to purchase the New Yorker Magazine of Obama.

Guy at Barnes & Noble says all New Yorkers sold out LOL

really looks like the liberal wishes for them to go out of business, well are incorrect as usual.

July 14, 2008 06:20 pm at 6:20 pm |
  22. foriegn engineer

I live in London and always thought that USA is one of the best country on this earth but how racist are people over there by reading there comments for OBAMA (as black) or McCain (as old), i think all my respect for american may have minimised to very low level. I hope you UNITE together whatever you are because that will only give you respect in the world. Dont forget world is also observing you apart frpom this election.

July 14, 2008 06:21 pm at 6:21 pm |
  23. DAREN IN MIAMI

Lisa is a prime example of a voter who pays no attention to the ISSUES and the way America is on the downfall...

July 14, 2008 06:21 pm at 6:21 pm |
  24. betty

Right wing spin points coming. Hate radio on fire with well....hate. Beck is the worst followed by lou dobbs. It is good we know we can not relly on talk shows hosts on choosing the president!

July 14, 2008 06:22 pm at 6:22 pm |
  25. Obamalism

CW4Barak – Now who's the racist? Keep living that 'dream' buddy.

July 14, 2008 06:23 pm at 6:23 pm |