July 15th, 2008

Reed says 'not interested' in VP role

Jack Reed says he doesn't want to be VP.
Jack Reed says he doesn't want to be VP.

(CNN) - He's making a high-profile trip to Iraq later this month with Barack Obama, but Rhode Island Sen. Jack Reed says he has no desire to be the presumptive Democratic presidential candidate's running mate.

Earlier: Fueling VP speculation, Obama heading to Iraq with Hagel, Reed

Reed, a graduate of West Point has been mentioned as a possible VP candidate given his foreign policy credentials and bipartisan respect on Capitol Hill, told the Associated Press Monday being Obama's running mate is a "position which I have no interest in."

Reed, a two-term senator who is currently in a relatively easy race for re-election, also said the Obama campaign has not asked him for any official documentation pertaining to its VP search process. It has been reported that the Illinois senator's campaign has officially approached at least two candidates so far - Virginia Sen. Jim Webb and Connecticut Sen. Chris Dodd.

Election Center: Check out who's on the VP short lists

"There are people that are spending a lot of time, one, looking for candidates, and trying to promote themselves as candidates," Reed also said. "And I'm in neither category."

Reed is little-known beyond his home state, though proponents trump his working-class upbringing, heroic stint in Vietnam, and longtime tenure on the powerful Armed Services Committee as reasons why he could be a valuable asset on the Democratic presidential ticket. On the other hand the Rhode Island senator has a low-key speaking style, comes from a region that is already firmly Democratic, and likely wouldn't embrace the attack-dog role usually required of presidential running mates.

Still, Reed's name received new buzz late last week after it was reported he, along with Republican Sen. Chuck Hagel, would accompany Obama on an upcoming trip to Iraq. Hagel, an opponent of the Iraq war who has become increasingly critical of his own party, has said he would be open to serving as Obama's VP.

1. Obama

Wonder what rock he will turn over and look under now. And the Hillary lovers are still lurking. Maybe he can make a 911 call to the middle east and get a running mate. Jesse Jackson should throw his hat in the ring since he is well versed on fathering kids out of wedlock.

July 15, 2008 08:34 am at 8:34 am |
  2. Beca

This is the first time in my life reading news like this, where politicians are saying NO to an important position in the government. I wonder why?? Oh, wait a minute, I know why! No one, wants to work besides BHO.

July 15, 2008 08:35 am at 8:35 am |
  3. Anna, SW Missouri

MDB–The limit is $2300.00 per person. Please check your facts before you call people liars.

July 15, 2008 08:38 am at 8:38 am |
  4. Say GOODBYE!!!!

Quotes From Griff --That's because you represent nobody, (really) except Borack Obama..
    Who really trusts you??? I don't thats for sure…. Not ever!!!!
    Except for the honest answer… McCain, makes 10 of 'O' bama
    **************************************************************************
    Griff you don't TRust Mr Obama ........
    You are die heart McCain Supporter ..........
    Here"s a ONE WAY TICKET away from Mr Obama and take LISA with You!!!
    LISA -–Worse PERSON GRIFF-–Worst PERSON

July 15, 2008 08:39 am at 8:39 am |
  5. Greg, NY

MDB,

By now, someone probably already replied to you, but campaign finance laws allow a maximum of $2,300 for both the primary and general election.

So, one person could give up to $4,600 if you split it up between the two elections.

July 15, 2008 08:40 am at 8:40 am |
  6. GB

I don't think anyone wants on this train to no where.

July 15, 2008 08:40 am at 8:40 am |
  7. DEBBY

OBAMA has not asked you to be VP anyway
    BARACK THE VOTE !!

July 15, 2008 08:42 am at 8:42 am |
  8. Dee Dee

Senator Obama should take the Virginia Governor with him on this World Tour.

July 15, 2008 08:45 am at 8:45 am |
  9. Bendo

Attention MDB Mcfly......the cap is $2300.00 per person not $250.00... do your homework before yoiu spout your ignorance on the subject!

July 15, 2008 08:45 am at 8:45 am |
  10. Greg Pottstown, Pa.

MDB July 14th, 2008 5:35 pm ET

I'm justing laughing my nuts off right now. I was down on the David Plouffe "we need money now" ticker and I see comments like Capt Smash "I sent $500.00 today" or TJ " I'm sending $100.00 a week until election time" or " I sent $1000.00 today" (can't remember name). Hey geniuses there is a $250.00 cap for individuals donating to a single campaign which means either you're all breaking the law (I doubt it) or you're the biggest bunch of liars ever (more likely).

I have also noticed that. Capt Smash is a moron just read his posts and any one can see that. Can't comment on the rest I don't know what kind of things they wright.

July 15, 2008 08:45 am at 8:45 am |
  11. Ms. D

Hagel is Mccain's best friend. Why would he want to be VP to Obama!! He probably would make good in Obama's cabinet though!!

July 15, 2008 08:46 am at 8:46 am |
  12. Tony

I don't know why more aren't saying yest to the V.P. slot with Obama. I have a terrible feeling that Obama won't be around long after he is sworn in and whomever the V.P. is will quickly ascend to the presidency.

I think Joe Biden is the perfect choice, as he should have been the nominee.

July 15, 2008 08:47 am at 8:47 am |
  13. Jan From Boca Raton, Fl

Reed is no dummy, he dosen't want to be linked with a looser.

July 15, 2008 08:47 am at 8:47 am |
  14. Bendo

Attention People: look at what is happening in ND...Obama is within striking range...look at Montana....Obama is ahead.....look at SD...he is tied......look at Geogia...he is only 2 points behind....look at the states Kerry won.....OBama is rock solid....what does this mean...even yopu so caleed bright repubs can add the Electoral Votes and it says what??? come on let me hear and see ift from your lips....all together now....President Obama!

July 15, 2008 08:49 am at 8:49 am |
  15. proud army and navy mom

Who cares if Reed is not interested? nobody, just the ignorant haters who wants to say "I told you so?"

How about us probably doubling the nat'l debt in one day if we have to bail out freddie and fannie mac. you idiots are so caught up in race that you can't or won't look at the real crisis at hand.

my nephew is being shipped to iraq this week, my daughter to iraq and my son to Kuwait, and you idiots, especially so-called Hillary supporters are stuck on stupid. Get an education, people!

July 15, 2008 08:49 am at 8:49 am |
  16. Tim

Why does he need to go to Iraq?
    Just more wasted taxpayer dollars.

July 15, 2008 08:50 am at 8:50 am |
  17. Down with Obama

Obama is so two-faced.....he could be his own running mate!!!!

July 15, 2008 08:53 am at 8:53 am |
  18. trudy

i think ,that Chuck Hagel be perfecht for the VP, he never agree with Busch on anything , i allways liked Chuck Hagel , there is no hatred in him .besits that he is very smart , an he really caers abaut his Country ,like Obama , all you People aut there who voted for Busch , hope you learned your Lesson by now . dont make the same misstake again , an vote for Mc Cain , lets united this Country again , an lets stop all the hate , skin color dont matter . change matters , an Obama will work harder then any President bevor . he has never shown a temper ,after all what nasty thinks ben said abaut him , an all the lies people make up , so every one will think the worst abaut him , anaff allready ,look at the liang one in the White House , how can any Body be that stupid an vote for Mc Cain ,he read s everything of a Paper ,what sombody wrote for him ,to say .

July 15, 2008 08:54 am at 8:54 am |
  19. Anyone but Hillary for VP

Too bad, he looked like a good fit. Oh well, Hillary would be disaster, but there are plenty of other worthy choices.

July 15, 2008 08:55 am at 8:55 am |
  20. dEMOBRAT

Nah, Hillary wouldn't accept at this point either. A little too late I'd say.

July 15, 2008 08:55 am at 8:55 am |
  21. I'm from NC

What kind of name is Barack Obama? What has it come to?

July 15, 2008 08:57 am at 8:57 am |
  22. Obamacan

As a former Republican, I don't really understand why HRC's supporters hate this man so much. I have given up trying to understand how someone who call him/herself Democrats could even entertain the idea of voting for McCain when he has made it very clear that under his presidency, it'll be more of what we're getting now. If you like where our country is and where it'll be heading if we keep doing what we're doing today, if you think that another war with Iran will be a good thing, then it's a no brainer. You should vote for McCain.

I have voted Republican all of my life (and I'm not on my 30th or 40th..much older) but I love my country and my grandchildren to much to even think about continuing on this path.

Obama 08.

July 15, 2008 09:00 am at 9:00 am |
  23. Peg Robson

When the politicians distance themselves from "one of thier own" it sends a message to the American people... Obama has no substance and his peers know it...too bad the people didn't catch on sooner. Just too wrapped up in their "rock star".

July 15, 2008 09:01 am at 9:01 am |
  24. dEMOBRAT

I think we are ready for the debate portion of this presidential election....Obama, you there?

July 15, 2008 09:03 am at 9:03 am |
  25. Natalie Rosen

No offense to Jack Reed as I love the State of Rhode Island but WHY oh WHY would Obama pick ANYONE from a state that is blue or even bluish and Reed doesn't do it really. A savvy pick for Obama would be Biden MOST ESPECIALLY Biden, the maybe Tim Kane of VA, Richardson of New Mexico or Evan Bayh of Indiana. In my opinion those are the ONLY ones he should consider. They are all marvelous VP picks but Biden is EXCEPTIONAL and give him expertise, experience and foreign policy gravitas. Biden is BRILLANT.... how about that for a change!!

July 15, 2008 09:03 am at 9:03 am |