July 15th, 2008

Reed says 'not interested' in VP role

Jack Reed says he doesn't want to be VP.
Jack Reed says he doesn't want to be VP.

(CNN) - He's making a high-profile trip to Iraq later this month with Barack Obama, but Rhode Island Sen. Jack Reed says he has no desire to be the presumptive Democratic presidential candidate's running mate.

Earlier: Fueling VP speculation, Obama heading to Iraq with Hagel, Reed

Reed, a graduate of West Point has been mentioned as a possible VP candidate given his foreign policy credentials and bipartisan respect on Capitol Hill, told the Associated Press Monday being Obama's running mate is a "position which I have no interest in."

Reed, a two-term senator who is currently in a relatively easy race for re-election, also said the Obama campaign has not asked him for any official documentation pertaining to its VP search process. It has been reported that the Illinois senator's campaign has officially approached at least two candidates so far - Virginia Sen. Jim Webb and Connecticut Sen. Chris Dodd.

Election Center: Check out who's on the VP short lists

"There are people that are spending a lot of time, one, looking for candidates, and trying to promote themselves as candidates," Reed also said. "And I'm in neither category."

Reed is little-known beyond his home state, though proponents trump his working-class upbringing, heroic stint in Vietnam, and longtime tenure on the powerful Armed Services Committee as reasons why he could be a valuable asset on the Democratic presidential ticket. On the other hand the Rhode Island senator has a low-key speaking style, comes from a region that is already firmly Democratic, and likely wouldn't embrace the attack-dog role usually required of presidential running mates.

Still, Reed's name received new buzz late last week after it was reported he, along with Republican Sen. Chuck Hagel, would accompany Obama on an upcoming trip to Iraq. Hagel, an opponent of the Iraq war who has become increasingly critical of his own party, has said he would be open to serving as Obama's VP.

1. GM

Paging Hillary Clinton,...Paging Hillary Clinton...

July 14, 2008 06:40 pm at 6:40 pm |
  2. A. Cooper

It is my opinion that the ironic content of the New Yorker cover will be evident to most Americans. The cover will play on the fears of a lot of Americans, and I believe that was the true intent of publishing it. I say shame on the editor for publishing and now trying to defend it. What happened to the notion of competing fairly? I know–it doesn't exit! Shame on the New Yorker and on the decision makers who let that cover go to print.

July 14, 2008 06:40 pm at 6:40 pm |
  3. I want to be a Dem

Democrats Unite!!!! Make Hillary our nominee in Denver!!!!

July 14, 2008 06:41 pm at 6:41 pm |
  4. Annie

I don't think we should really pay attention to these small guys. Important candidates are still there to become VP. so quit picking on Obama.

July 14, 2008 06:41 pm at 6:41 pm |
  5. Roberta, NC

If the Dems had chosen the right candidate in the first place maybe we wouldn't have this problem with choosing a "qualified" VP? Doesn't matter to me, I will vote John McCain.

Hillary (still not too late) Clinton or John (the next best choice) McCain '08

July 14, 2008 06:42 pm at 6:42 pm |
  6. Griff

Er, Er, Er. More Crap..... CNN.... Borack Obama......Ridiculous...
    Ther is no Concern for John McCain.. Ther is a Great Concern for the USA, under the control of the idiot Obama.....

July 14, 2008 06:42 pm at 6:42 pm |
  7. pam Eugene OR

Barack will tell us when he is ready. Stop guessing CNN, I am sure you will be the second to know.
    I just don't want Hillary forced on him.

July 14, 2008 06:43 pm at 6:43 pm |
  8. Phil, FL

Funny – no one knows who is on the short list, but when Blitzer or some other nut asks any person if they would be VP, you idiots think that removes them from the short list.

1. Grow a brain.
    2. Use it to think.
    3. Repeat steps 1 and 2 until it gets easy.

July 14, 2008 06:45 pm at 6:45 pm |
  9. Larry Hamlin

It tells me more about Barack Obama that he is not interested in stopping the VP game and simply going to Hillary first. After all he did not receive that many more popular votes that she did. Don't insult all the people that voted for Clinton by going to someone that the majority of the country has not heard of and offer that individual the VP slot. After all, Clinton might just turn Obama down. Obama will get the brownie points for asking and Clinton will be ready to run in 2012 and say, see, I told you so.

July 14, 2008 06:45 pm at 6:45 pm |
  10. Shannon

I'm shocked that people don't want to team up with Obama. He does have that ugly habit of throwing people under the bus. Perhaps it's coming back to bite him in his flip flopping backside!

July 14, 2008 06:46 pm at 6:46 pm |
  11. Delegate from California

Who cares, we all know that this primary was all such a disappointed to many of us life long Democrats.

If Obama really wants to win the White House he knows he can not win without Senator Clinton, everyone knows that.

I am a Delegate from California and I will do anything in my power to see Hillary gets the nomination and make Obama her VP.

Clinton/Obama 2008, 2012

July 14, 2008 06:47 pm at 6:47 pm |
  12. Susan from Scotts Valley, CA

Just because he said he doesn't want the job doesn't mean anything other than maybe he's just happy doing the job he has. And no one really knows if he was REALLY on the short list or if it's all speculation. Who would want to go through the scrutiny of running for president or vice president when you see what Obama, McCain and Hillary have all endured?

You have to be more than a little nuts.

July 14, 2008 06:47 pm at 6:47 pm |
  13. Dr. Bob

It's funny to see all of these people rejecting the idea of being VP. I mean who wouldn't want to be on the ticket with Hussein? Isn't he the answer to America's problems? Hmmmmmmmm. Or do they not want to commit political suicide?

July 14, 2008 06:47 pm at 6:47 pm |
  14. Hillary help us!!!

We want Hillary.

July 14, 2008 06:48 pm at 6:48 pm |
  15. Hillary help us!!!

CNN stop deleting my comments!!!! Democrats Unite!!!!! We want Hillary!!!!!

July 14, 2008 06:49 pm at 6:49 pm |
  16. Alfred

Rats running from a sinking ship. Using the word 'rats' isn't racist is it? I'd hate to offend hypersensitive liberals or minorities out there...

July 14, 2008 06:50 pm at 6:50 pm |
  17. Debby, NJ

President Obama did not ask you anyway
    BARACK THE VOTE

July 14, 2008 06:50 pm at 6:50 pm |
  18. I want to betray Hillary too! Ooh, can I??

Maybe I can start a rumor about Obama too!!! Um... uh... I heard that Obama practices a mix of voodoo and muslim called Vooslim. He already built a model of the California forests and lit it on fire! That was his fault!!

If you elect him, he's going to "Pied Piper" all of the white children to his underground cave, call them all "cracker bitterlings" and then teach them a new religion called "Contact Buddhism".

July 14, 2008 06:51 pm at 6:51 pm |
  19. Hillary got screwed

I am hoping that Edwards runs as him VP. Since Edwards couldn't even deliver his home state for Kerry, he can't offer much. Oh, but he is so pretty, just like Obama

July 14, 2008 06:52 pm at 6:52 pm |
  20. MD

That's disappointing. He is one of the best possible choices for the job.

July 14, 2008 06:52 pm at 6:52 pm |
  21. Obama is a joke

Thanks again DNC.Obama is a joke!!! How does it feel you left wing nuts to be thrown under the bus. We are trying to make room.

July 14, 2008 06:52 pm at 6:52 pm |
  22. Geri

Can we have just a little less of Obama and maybe include some positive articles on McCain. Obama has not won the general election but the news media, esp. CNN, seems to think he has. I'm a democrat but I am really tired of all this garbage about Obama. Next you'll be letting us know every time he showers or goes to the bathroom.

July 14, 2008 06:52 pm at 6:52 pm |
  23. Sarah

Hillary hasn't done Jack to help the Democrats win, why in the world would they reward her? Save Lieberman, she's the biggest albatross in DC right now.

July 14, 2008 06:54 pm at 6:54 pm |
  24. I Want to Be A Democrat

Hillary for President!!!

July 14, 2008 06:56 pm at 6:56 pm |
  25. kelly WI

No one who wants a political future wants to run with him.
    He'll have to dig out some old guy who is retired and doesn't give a hoot. lol

July 14, 2008 06:57 pm at 6:57 pm |