July 16th, 2008

Romney laughs off questions of VP potential

CNN

Watch part of Romney's interview with Wolf Blitzer.

(CNN)—Former presidential candidate Mitt Romney laughed off questions about his vice presidential potential Wednesday.

“With regards to all the people that think I might be on some kind of shortlist, the only one that really counts in my regard is John McCain,” Romney told CNN’s Wolf Blitzer. “I don’t think he’s told anybody what his thinking is.”

The former Massachusetts governor continued to downplay his chances of joining the GOP ticket. “I don’t want to engage in any speculation with regards to the VP sweepstakes,” he said. “I expect to support the administration and the McCain team. I don’t expect to be part of it.”

Election Center: Who's on McCain's VP list?

In recent months, Romney has been a constant presence on the airwaves as a surrogate for John McCain’s campaign, often serving as a tough critic of presumptive Democratic nominee Barack Obama.

“People recognize they need new leadership, strong leadership,” Romney told CNN last month. “Not somebody who is consistently putting himself and his party ahead of the interests of the nation.”

Earlier this week, McCain praised Romney’s support of his own presidential bid, adding fuel to the mounting VP speculation.

“I’m appreciative every time I see Mitt on television on my behalf,” McCain said at a fundraising event in New Mexico. “He does a better job for me than he did for himself, as a matter of fact.”

On Wednesday, Romney agreed. “The campaigning I did for myself resulted in a loss,” Romney said, laughing. “I don’t want to hurt [McCain], I want to help him.”

Watch the full interview with Mitt Romney during The Situation Room 4pm E.T.

Filed under: John McCain • Mitt Romney
  1. cricket

If Senator Obama does not get forced into picking Hillary then she will flip-flop and become a Republican again and be McCain's v.p. She didn't conceded and has kept her delegates and her supporters are sending donations to McCain's campaign instead of Senator Obama.
    go figure.........

July 16, 2008 04:55 pm at 4:55 pm |
  2. Nicole in NE

Mitt says disarming nukes and global warming are only LIBERAL issues! What an awesome guy! lol

Obama 08'

July 16, 2008 04:55 pm at 4:55 pm |
  3. gerry

He should laugh off his candiancy of VP-the guy's a joke.

July 16, 2008 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |
  4. Tim

Don't blame me- I voted for Ron Paul

July 16, 2008 04:59 pm at 4:59 pm |
  5. ben

Perfect choice- Romney has completely reversed his position on nearly as many issues as McCain has.

July 16, 2008 05:01 pm at 5:01 pm |
  6. Sleepless in MI

Mitt Romney reminds me of Guy Smiley

July 16, 2008 05:04 pm at 5:04 pm |
  7. ProundToBeDemocrat

Romney is a joke and an idiot I hope Mccain picks him as his V.P then we will all laugh. Go head McShame make my day.

July 16, 2008 05:04 pm at 5:04 pm |
  8. A Woman In California For Obama

This guy is such a coward and a idiot. (Yes, I know he's rich). He would be the devil's VP if offered. Anything to be seen. If Obama made him an offer-he would accept that. He just loves the spot light. I don't take anything he says seriously and neither should the American people.

July 16, 2008 05:05 pm at 5:05 pm |
  9. Brandon Hillary PUMA 4Mc

John :

Thats not what her approval ratings suggest 89%
    Shove it...Go drink some more watermelon flavored kool aide..
    Puma is not going anywhere

July 16, 2008 05:05 pm at 5:05 pm |
  10. Denise Groves

I doubt he is the one

July 16, 2008 05:07 pm at 5:07 pm |
  11. S-Man

I like Huckabee better than Romney

July 16, 2008 05:07 pm at 5:07 pm |
  12. Mark Anthony - Lake Elsinore, CA

Come on, he ran against McCain now he is trying to get a position as VP, if he wasn't he wouldn't be flying all over the freaking place for the McCain camp.

As a whole a lot of Americans might be blind to these kind of tricks but millions are not.

July 16, 2008 05:09 pm at 5:09 pm |
  13. Fair and Balanced

Lol, all the Mormon Haters should go draw pictures for the New Yorker.......LMAO!

July 16, 2008 05:11 pm at 5:11 pm |
  14. God is a Conservative

Obama is an elitist jerk. His hatred of America knows no bounds.

We need a good, down-to-earth, conservative family man like Mitt Romney to balance President McCain's moderate ways.

McCain/Romney '08

July 16, 2008 05:11 pm at 5:11 pm |
  15. THE THREE DOCTORS

SOMETHINGS REQUIER NO COMMENT, ESPECIALLY WHEN A 50 MILLION DOLLAR LOSER IS TRYING TO TELL YOU HOW TO WIN.

July 16, 2008 05:14 pm at 5:14 pm |
  16. Brian G, Sugar Land, TX

Oh Mitt, you are so adorable...NOT!

July 16, 2008 05:14 pm at 5:14 pm |
  17. ari

No substance but a lot of cash, which helps.He sounds desperate to wanting to become VP. He wants to stay in the picture for when its his time. Big if, when McCain wins, he is in good position come next term. otherwise its over. As it stands now wouldn't be surprised that potential VP candidates would decline the prospect to stand next to McCain, with danger of loosing and career prospects. So, in end Romney is available, eager and not worried too much about immediate future, maybe McCain's only choice. Overall a weak choice but that's the state where he is in.

July 16, 2008 05:16 pm at 5:16 pm |
  18. Patrick

I love it how this fake group of "Puma" are voters who wanted a dem but now are anti-abortion, anti-economy, anti-healthcare, pro-war, anti gay and women's rights, etc. A joke it is:)

July 16, 2008 05:16 pm at 5:16 pm |
  19. Patrick

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE pick him McCain! I can't wait to see that fake smile on tv. I can't wait to see the MILLIONS of conservative Christians who already dislike McCain really have reason to stay home or vote for the REAL Christian, Obama.

July 16, 2008 05:17 pm at 5:17 pm |
  20. First Mate?

Well, I don't know what to think of Mitt. He keeps moving around politically, so it's hard to figure out what he'd actually be good at (other than dancing around issues).

One thing I am sure of is that the VP spot for McCain is the kiss of death. McCain's campaign is already going down like the Titanic. To be offered the VP spot would be like the captain of the Titanic offering you the First Mate job, right after the ship hit the iceberg. Not a very enticing job, and politically a dead end. Any savvy politician is going to run for the hills if they get offered this job. Watch for some young buck who has little political experience to finally wind up with the job. I wonder if Dan Quayle is still looking for work?

July 16, 2008 05:25 pm at 5:25 pm |
  21. Tully

McCain pick Huckabee- its time for another huckaboom!

July 16, 2008 05:26 pm at 5:26 pm |
  22. What?

I thought that liberals were suppose to stand up and be supportive of all races, religions, and sexes. All I hear in this forum is a bunch of religious intolerant hypocrites. If you all call yourselves liberals, I am glad to call myself a republican.

July 16, 2008 05:27 pm at 5:27 pm |
  23. California Gold

McCain thinks if he stands between Mitt and Cindy he will look younger.

July 16, 2008 05:28 pm at 5:28 pm |
  24. Power to the People = Former Repug

Mit Romney may be a good choice for McCane who has lost the conservative base and now needs a base as a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Don't blame the guy.

July 16, 2008 05:29 pm at 5:29 pm |
  25. Ula Nejad- Sacramento Ca

pre-tax or business turnaround. may the best one win.

July 16, 2008 05:32 pm at 5:32 pm |