July 16th, 2008

Romney laughs off questions of VP potential

CNN

Watch part of Romney's interview with Wolf Blitzer.

(CNN)—Former presidential candidate Mitt Romney laughed off questions about his vice presidential potential Wednesday.

“With regards to all the people that think I might be on some kind of shortlist, the only one that really counts in my regard is John McCain,” Romney told CNN’s Wolf Blitzer. “I don’t think he’s told anybody what his thinking is.”

The former Massachusetts governor continued to downplay his chances of joining the GOP ticket. “I don’t want to engage in any speculation with regards to the VP sweepstakes,” he said. “I expect to support the administration and the McCain team. I don’t expect to be part of it.”

Election Center: Who's on McCain's VP list?

In recent months, Romney has been a constant presence on the airwaves as a surrogate for John McCain’s campaign, often serving as a tough critic of presumptive Democratic nominee Barack Obama.

“People recognize they need new leadership, strong leadership,” Romney told CNN last month. “Not somebody who is consistently putting himself and his party ahead of the interests of the nation.”

Earlier this week, McCain praised Romney’s support of his own presidential bid, adding fuel to the mounting VP speculation.

“I’m appreciative every time I see Mitt on television on my behalf,” McCain said at a fundraising event in New Mexico. “He does a better job for me than he did for himself, as a matter of fact.”

On Wednesday, Romney agreed. “The campaigning I did for myself resulted in a loss,” Romney said, laughing. “I don’t want to hurt [McCain], I want to help him.”

Watch the full interview with Mitt Romney during The Situation Room 4pm E.T.

Filed under: John McCain • Mitt Romney
  1. MIKE J TEXAS

HE'S A VERY GOOD LOOKING GUY..I'M A HILLARY SUPPORTER AND IF HE WAS ON THE GOP TICKET, I'D BE SWAYED TO VOTE FOR HIM BASED ON HIS GOOD LOOKS..HE'S A HOTTIE

July 16, 2008 05:33 pm at 5:33 pm |
  2. kim hussein taylor portland, oregon

they're both buffoons, and should only be allowed into the white house to congratulate President Obama!

we need to keep these greedy, crazy neoCONs as far away from any government buildings as possible!!! they ahve done ENOUGH damage in their 8 years!!!!!!!!

buh-bye, neoCONs!! dont let the door hit ya where beelzebub split ya!!!!

July 16, 2008 05:34 pm at 5:34 pm |
  3. NO WAY!!!

Paul, Tampa, FL ....... He's the perfect choice. He is every bit as fake as McCain is awful and Mitt Romney is an ELITIST and out of TOUCH with Americans !!!!

July 16, 2008 05:34 pm at 5:34 pm |
  4. Obama Hates America

Obama is an elitist jerk. His hatred of America knows no bounds.

We need a good, down-to-earth, conservative family man like Mitt Romney to balance President McCain's moderate ways.

McCain/Romney '08

July 16, 2008 05:34 pm at 5:34 pm |
  5. kim hussein taylor portland, oregon

they're both creeps, and should only be allowed into the white house to congratulate President Obama!

we need to keep these greedy, crazy neoCONs as far away from any government buildings as possible!!! they have done ENOUGH damage in their 8 years!!!!!!!!

buh-bye, neoCONs!! dont let the door hit ya where beelzebub split ya!!!!

July 16, 2008 05:35 pm at 5:35 pm |
  6. Farrell

How can Romney with the intellect he has support someone who doesn't know how to use a computer and his wife drives him around like driving Ms. Daisy. Romney probably thinks John McCain is a joke.

July 16, 2008 05:35 pm at 5:35 pm |
  7. Juan from L.A.

Please choose this guy!! Please. Although obnoxious, this elitist is so easy to attack for the two-face hypocrite he is.

July 16, 2008 05:37 pm at 5:37 pm |
  8. Really?

Please, please, please pick Romney

July 16, 2008 05:38 pm at 5:38 pm |
  9. Obama Hates America

"Your comment is awaiting moderation."

No kidding. Nothing like drive-by media censorship.

July 16, 2008 05:38 pm at 5:38 pm |
  10. TyWebb

Romney's laughing? So are many others.

July 16, 2008 05:40 pm at 5:40 pm |
  11. Cynthia4President

And just like the women and men at the Seneca Falls Convention in 1848 who declared their independence from the Old Order, I celebrated my birthday last year by doing something I had done a dozen times in my head, but had never done publicly: I declared my independence from every bomb dropped, every threat leveled, every civil liberties rollback, every child killed, every veteran maimed, every man tortured, and the national leadership that let this happen.

July 16, 2008 05:41 pm at 5:41 pm |
  12. Enlightened Voter

Just curious, but does John McCain and the white house take their cues from Obama? Obama has been saying we need diplomatic relations with foreign countries and mccain bashed him for it. Now the white house is talking to Iran after they already talked to North Korea a month ago. Obama also said since last year the real threat of terrorism is Afghanistan while mccain said we need to stay the course in Iraq. Wonder what mccain is saying now that he looks like a bad judgement idiot. So much for that 'experience' huh and all that foreign policy bruh hah, huh John?

July 16, 2008 05:43 pm at 5:43 pm |
  13. Enlightened Voter

Hey Fair and Balanced – instead of being so called 'fair and balanced' try telling the truth for a change cause the lies you just spouted are fairy tales.

July 16, 2008 05:46 pm at 5:46 pm |
  14. Darth Vadik, CA

You want, you know you do, but during the primaries you attacked McCain so much, now you have to kiss his behind soooo much.
    Kind of the same thing that happened between Bush and McCain in 2000.

Pathetic

July 16, 2008 05:46 pm at 5:46 pm |
  15. RB

Hmmm. Sounds alot like HRC!

July 16, 2008 05:48 pm at 5:48 pm |
  16. Phil, FL

I just want to gag every time I see or hear this hypocrit.

MA didn't like him.

Make the pretty boy go away. He's a hypocrit.

July 16, 2008 05:50 pm at 5:50 pm |
  17. SE

Now I see why Huckabee did not quit the race soon. He could not believe that the GOP will vote for these folks. He thinks he is better and honestly, he really is.

July 16, 2008 05:51 pm at 5:51 pm |
  18. DflateMacsStr8TalkXpress: Econ MIA, AWOL on facts, POW from reality

Hmmm ... Do you think all the neonazi, redneck rubes and right-wing nutjobs ignoramuses can comprehend what Mormonism is all about? They're still tryin' to figure out black and it's just a skin color.

July 16, 2008 05:52 pm at 5:52 pm |
  19. Roofin Reality, Houston, Tx.

I think McCain can pick whomever he wants, when the time is right for him.
    But, like with the puma folks and former Hillary supporter folks, I ask a similar question to those who support Romney now as VP choice.

Moderator/reporter: How do you square all of the comments you made about Senator McCain in the primaries, when it was pretty clear you didn't like each other?

And, if you supported Bush over McCain in 2000, why do you now feel McCain is ready? Or put another way, why was Bush better than McCain in 200?

July 16, 2008 05:53 pm at 5:53 pm |
  20. Anonymous

If the gop really want to win maybe Romney ought to wear a pantsuit and dress like Hilary, because that my friend is the only way you are going to get women voters.

July 16, 2008 05:55 pm at 5:55 pm |
  21. DM

Mitt Romney is a sexist piece of garbage

July 16, 2008 05:59 pm at 5:59 pm |
  22. 17 year old future politician

It wouldnt be that stong of a ticket anyway. What would the women have to vote for??? What would the "regular" income people have to vote for??? What would the people in need of healthcare have to vote for??? What would the Military moms have to vote for??? What would the Veterans have to vote for???? It justs kills any hope...maybe try Huckabee...that would be wiser

Obama/Hagel 08'

July 16, 2008 06:10 pm at 6:10 pm |
  23. Michigan for Obama

Let's get real about Romney...he and John do not care for each other in the least...Romney keeps hanging around and smoozing to get the VP nod in hopes that McCain will not make it through his term... He is power hungry for the next level and will say or do anything to get what his rich self wants....

July 16, 2008 06:13 pm at 6:13 pm |
  24. Bob M

LOL at the guy who says tax cuts hurt the economy. Learn something about economics will ya?

July 16, 2008 06:19 pm at 6:19 pm |
  25. Sue

Go ahead and sign on Mitt. Then your career in politics will be in worse shape than what is is!

July 16, 2008 06:21 pm at 6:21 pm |