July 16th, 2008

Two potential VPs join Obama

Nunn and Bayh are joining Obama Wednesday.
Nunn and Bayh are joining Obama Wednesday.

(CNN) - Who Obama is campaigning with Wednesday just might get more attention than what the presumptive Democratic presidential candidate says.

The Illinois senator is set to be joined on the trail by Indiana Sen. Evan Bayh and former Georgia Sen. Sam Nunn - two Democrats widely believed to be on the shortlist for the vice presidential spot.

Election Center: Who's on Obama's shortlist

The two are set to join Obama at Purdue University in West Lafayette, Indiana for a discussion on national security issues - a forum that is designed to set to stage for the Democratic president candidate's overseas trip next week.

Specifically, the three are set to discuss nuclear non-proliferation, bioterrorism, cyber security and emerging national security threats.

Bayh, who comes from a powerful Indiana family and once served as governor of the state, remains a very popular figure there. His aggressive campaigning on behalf of Hillary Clinton during the state's Democratic primary is widely seen as a chief factor for the New York senator's narrow victory there. He briefly flirted with his own presidential bid late last year but ultimately ruled against it.

Nunn remains one of the most respected national security and foreign policy experts on the national scene. The former senator has a serious, no-nonsense demeanor that would add instant gravitas to the ticket, and he is a popular figure in Georgia - a state the Obama campaign hopes to make competitive this cycle.

Veepstakes: Check out CNN's Political Market to see who's ahead

Both Nunn and Bayh have remained tight-lipped when it comes to the VP slot, though Bayh did acknowledge last month he would take the position if asked.

"I don't think it's the kind of thing you say no to…the answer to that is yes," he said in June. "If you care about serving your country, that is the kind of thing that you do,"

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. JC

Does anybody remember that McCain does not have a plan to fix our economy? We have spent years in IRAQ, when McCain speaks does he speak for your financial woes or is he clinging to war policies instead of domesitic one's.

Oh and you Hillary supportes really need to let it go!!!!!! You are probably the same people that voted twice for George Bush, hows is that working out for ya!!!! If you think McCain will relate to your issues, always remember he and Bush are both republicans.... It may not semm like it right now but trust me he will show his republican colors soon enough.......

July 16, 2008 10:38 am at 10:38 am |
  2. Texas Trail Dog

Well at least if he chooses either of these men he would have one brain running with him. LET'S GO HILLARY SUPPORTERS McCAIN IS CALLING FOR US. WE KNOW WHAT WE WILL GET WITH THE OLD MAN. AS THE JABBERING MORONS SAY ROLLING COCONUTS UNDERNEATH THE TREE RANTING AND RAVING.

July 16, 2008 10:38 am at 10:38 am |
  3. Liz

Bill from Florida is correct. There is not way that Obama can win over McCain unless he has Hillary on his ticket. I am a democrate and have never voted in my long life for a Republican. If Hillary isn't on his ticket for the first time since I turned 21 I will not vote for a president.

July 16, 2008 10:38 am at 10:38 am |
  4. DEBBY, NJ

BARACK THE VOTE

July 16, 2008 10:39 am at 10:39 am |
  5. Matthew

Czechoslovakia, sorry... it doesn't exist anymore. Don't tell that to John McCain, he doesn't care.

July 16, 2008 10:39 am at 10:39 am |
  6. Jim, Burlington NC

Obama and Nunn vrs. McSame and Mr. Mitt (I have magical Underwear) Romney.

Obama might have to wake McSame up during debates, Sam can just give Mitty a wedgie...

It will be like running a race against an empty gum-ball machine.

No more Bushes or Buhisms....

July 16, 2008 10:39 am at 10:39 am |
  7. Freida, NYC

This is to "ADM" from yesterday's Political Ticker,

Well, it seems to me that you DO enjoy reading my comments, the fact that you feel compel to read them "every day" leads me to believe that they are provocative, and not "unprovocative" as you described them. Stop following me around these blogs, otherwise you will soon turn into a stalker. I will suggest you mind your business, and if you have nothing nice to say, them keep it to yourself.

America the beautiful!

July 16, 2008 10:39 am at 10:39 am |
  8. Rich

forget them are you crazy!! pick Clinton!!!

July 16, 2008 10:39 am at 10:39 am |
  9. Aaron in Lake Buena Vista FL

I am not going to vote for these two guys or any of Obama's other VP choices. I am a life-long democrat, but this year I am going to be joining a lot of the people I know here in voting for McCain unless Hillary is on that ticket.

Obama/Hillary 2008

or

McCain!!!

July 16, 2008 10:39 am at 10:39 am |
  10. Nikita D. Williams

Reed is a name that could add to Barack's Presidency. I am grateful to our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ to have a man such as Barack Obama running for the highest position in the world.

Barack Obama would make an excellent Commander in Chief for the United States of America.

May our LORD and Savior Jesus 's will be done! It's wonderful to be a believer in Christ and it's nice to be an American.

May God bless our country.

July 16, 2008 10:39 am at 10:39 am |
  11. Michigan for Obama/Clinton

Obama/Clinton 08.......end of story.

His 17 million + Her 18 million= A winning combination!

July 16, 2008 10:40 am at 10:40 am |
  12. OBAMA BACKER

I think Obama is gaining ground in who has foreign policy judement.

He was right about the war being a lie, which we know to be true thanks to all the data and most recently Scott McLellan.

He was right about a time table, which Iraq now wants

He was right about talking with our enemies, which the Bush administration has now done with N Korea and as we learned yesterday Iran, which Obama got slammed on during the primary.

Look like Bush is taken ques from Obama and getting credit for it.

Obama 08-12

July 16, 2008 10:40 am at 10:40 am |
  13. DvlsAdvocat

Anyone who is familiar with Sam Nunn would probably agree that he would make an excellent VP. He has quite a bit of "upside", foreign policy and national defense experience, heck, he's got a lot of experience period, which could offset claims that Obama's a noob. Also, he's a southerner, and several decades of historical trends are showing us that you can't win the White House without a southerner on the ticket.

July 16, 2008 10:40 am at 10:40 am |
  14. Tim Hutchins

Sam Nunn is a conservative democrat. Why in the world would he ever support the far-left Obama????

Bayh just shifts with the winds. He would probably complement Obama very well as neither of them has core values.

July 16, 2008 10:42 am at 10:42 am |
  15. NewYorker Magazine Rocks

Obama wont select Hillary, unless he falls behind McCain.

Neither is likely to happen.

July 16, 2008 10:42 am at 10:42 am |
  16. Carl in MI

Hope he picks Gore... he brings more experience to the VP table than anyone else. And he'll do the EXACT opposite of Cheney... he'll expose what Cheney's been trying to cover up for the last 8 years on the Environment and Global Warming. You can bet Gore won't be deleting pages from the EPA's reports.

What a novel concept... when you disagree with the facts, just omit them!! Thank God the Repuglicans are going to be WIPED OUT of this next election and for good reason too. Here.. I'll spell it for you slow learners... like my friends Jan, Brian from Knoxville, Charlotte and all of their paid Republican plant friends who have nothing better to do than write EVERY SINGLE DAY on the ticker...
    L-A-N-D-S-L-I-D-E. Bet on it....

July 16, 2008 10:43 am at 10:43 am |
  17. bibihenna

obama is going to pick one of this tow person for vp

1- Don King "only in america"
    2-Flavor Flav 'Coll dud of love"

July 16, 2008 10:43 am at 10:43 am |
  18. mayahh

When SOLOMON was appointed KING, He was young, yet his prayer was for greatness for his nation, so GOD gave him all the wisdom he needed and more to get the task done... OBAMA the next KING SOLOMON,,, PRESIDING OVER THE UNITED NATION and all eyes shall behold it.

July 16, 2008 10:45 am at 10:45 am |
  19. Eli

I just love reading all these so called Democrats that are O all the way but no to Hillary. WHAT is this your first time voting, OH I forgot for most of you it is. In alot of the citys they took bus loads of people everyday for weeks leading up to the primaries to get them signed up to vote. If these peole had cared enough about the DEMOCRATIC PARTY to get off their butts and go vote every time they could, AL GORE would have won in 2000 and we would not be in the mess we are in from the last eight years. So please get off our cases when we say IF NO TO HILLARY THEN NO TO OBAMA. I AM A TRUE DEMOCRAT AND HAVE VOTED EVERYTIME I COULD SINCE I WAS 18.

July 16, 2008 10:45 am at 10:45 am |
  20. Kevin

I will vote for Obama and Hillary on a ticket, or my vote is going to McCain. I am a MI voter and my Hillary vote did not count! There is no way in H*ll that I am going to vote for Nunn or Bayh for VP, the only choice I trust as my VP is Clinton, so it looks like I will be joining the nobama movement is being a Democrat for McCain this year unless she is on the ticket. If he does not pick her he is going to loose, there is just too many people saying the same thing all over AOL, blogs, and that I chat with person to person.

July 16, 2008 10:45 am at 10:45 am |
  21. LF

Stranger things could happen–he could offer McCain the VP ticket. Now that would be a twosome with an unusual dance. McCain otherwise could offer obama the same choice.

July 16, 2008 10:45 am at 10:45 am |
  22. To Chicago Chris From Chicago Mike

Get real....Purdue is where its at.

July 16, 2008 10:46 am at 10:46 am |
  23. jeeeeez

Exactly when did President Bush hire Senator Obama as his foriegn affair advisor,... he says they do....
    Or when did they hire Bush as a campaign advisor , Bush is Killing McCain.... Lol ... Bring on the debates

July 16, 2008 10:46 am at 10:46 am |
  24. Serviceman

MOVE ON

Give me a brake you DA, there are so many more articals because of the race that Clinton And Obama where in, it's not CNN's fault that the rep. party only had an imbsile to pick and the dem party had to liggit. canadates to cover over the last few months. Maybe if McBush gets out of his bed long enough to go out and make news besides mixing facts every other day then things would be more even. Another McCann supporter showing level of inteligance

July 16, 2008 10:47 am at 10:47 am |
  25. MikeH

Is this ticker article moderated by a Republican operative? So many Republican troll posts.

July 16, 2008 10:47 am at 10:47 am |