July 17th, 2008

Bayh, Nunn dodge VP questions, but buzz rises

CNN

Watch Nunn and Bayh discuss the veepstakes.

(CNN) - Evan Bayh and Sam Nunn wanted to focus on Barack Obama's national security credentials Wednesday. The traveling press corps trailing the presumptive Democratic nominee’s campaign didn’t.

In a press conference following a campaign-sponsored roundtable discussion on emerging terrorist threats, Bayh and Nunn were bombarded by questions over reports both Democrats are on Obama's shortlist for vice president.

But Bayh, a senator from Indiana, and Nunn, a former senator from Georgia, revealed little about the Obama campaign's vetting process and their own ambitions for the job.

Veepstakes: Check out CNN's Political Market to see who's ahead

"I have never aspired to that office," said Nunn, who served in the Senate for 25 years. "It is always nice to have your name mentioned - it is an honor - but I have no expectation of being offered any office, and I am not in any way sitting on the edge of a chair ready to go back into government."

Nunn, one of the most respected Democratic voices on national security policy, seems to encounter vice presidential speculation every election cycle, given his appeal in the South and strength on issues where Republicans usually have the edge.

iReport.com: Share your picks for VP

Bayh, a former supporter of Hillary Clinton who also has red-state appeal, also brushed aside speculation he is being considered a spot on the ticket.

"I love serving the people of Indiana - and I think any questions about the vice presidential thing are understandable and it’s good for my ego, but I should probably let Senator Obama and his campaign address those kind of questions," he said.

One reporter asked the senator — whose father Birch Bayh ran for president in 1976 - if he was taking his name out of the VP running.

"I've got a plane to catch," he responded, chuckling.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • Evan Bayh • Popular Posts • Sam Nunn
  1. mk

Nunn is only one that can get me to consider voting for Obama.

July 16, 2008 10:03 pm at 10:03 pm |
  2. Wolf

Clinton as VP or McCain as President.

July 16, 2008 10:11 pm at 10:11 pm |
  3. MZ

Hillary and her husband have done more for the African-American community than anyone since JFK. The bitter spitefull trash thrown at her is completely unconscionable, UNLESS IT REALLY IS COMING FROM REPUBLICANS posing as Barack supporters!!!
    Also, as smeone said of all these " young voters": WHERE WERE YOU THE LAST TWO ELECTIONS?!!!!
    HILLARY FOR VP!!!

July 16, 2008 10:17 pm at 10:17 pm |
  4. DMC, USA

If Senator Obama wants to win this election hands down, his only choice for VP should be Senator Hillary Clinton.

July 16, 2008 10:24 pm at 10:24 pm |
  5. Ilona Hussein Proud Canadian

Stop Whining
    ==========
    You said it in a nutshell!

Tony: Re: Czechoslovakia Article
    ==========================
    Comments were closed, so I am going to post here, in the hopes that you will see it!

JUST HOW MANY TIMES DO YOU HAVE TO POST YOUR COMMENT ON ONE ARTICLE? IS IT BECAUSE YOU KNOW THAT NO ONE WILL BELIEVE YOU AFTER ONE TRY?

July 16, 2008 10:30 pm at 10:30 pm |
  6. Susan

Hillary & Obama 08.........ONLY!

July 16, 2008 10:36 pm at 10:36 pm |
  7. P U M A 4 H I L L

Vets for Obama.... I won't squirm because I have no intention on voting for Obama whatsoever, regardless if he offers and/or Hillary accepts the VP position to her.

Hillary needs to stay FAR away from Obama – he's toxic for her future.

PUMA PAC – we will never forget what really happened in the caucuses, what a travesty. Hillary was the candidate of choice until the DNC, Media and Obama's thugs forced him on us.

McCain '08 for Clinton '12

July 16, 2008 10:37 pm at 10:37 pm |
  8. NoMccain

Forget your darn childish "buzz" and grow up!
    Pick a person already, the Nation is waiting!
    This isn't a darn game, people are suffering.

July 16, 2008 10:38 pm at 10:38 pm |
  9. Bayousara for Hillary in November

My senator Ron Wyden sent me an email in response to one I wrote to him.

He stated in exact words that he would wait unti lthe Dem convention before he declared.

He caved.

He caved.

He caved.

He supports Obama and has for some time.

Is caving the same thing as a lie?

July 16, 2008 10:41 pm at 10:41 pm |
  10. aware

I don't bayh nunn of this either! :)

This is getting boring beyond belief!

In the first place, if Obama was genuinely interested in change, he would be running as an Independent and leading his gung ho followers with integrity instead of chicanery!

Instead, he is running tied by the umbilical cord to the hard core left-wing Democrats who can't change their socks without a huge push from the Republicans! :(

July 16, 2008 10:45 pm at 10:45 pm |
  11. Indiana girl lisa

I am a Obama fan! I campaigned in Indiana and Ohio for the next president of the USA. I am beginning to feel that we need a no lose ticket and I am starting to pray that Obama picks Hillary to be his VP. I know that both have very similar agenda's and I do not think that she is as evil as she was made to be in th primary. She just wanted to win! I truly believe that she loves this country and would like to see us come back from the past horrible 8 years that we have experienced with Bush.
    Just my thought for tonight after a day of hard work and dealing with my
    McCain loving co-workers. We should unite and make them all cry.

July 16, 2008 10:45 pm at 10:45 pm |
  12. Michael G- Ventura ca

BIDEN for VP!!!!

July 16, 2008 10:47 pm at 10:47 pm |
  13. Democrat

I just saw where we will be strengthing the troops in Afghanistan. What a novel idea. To actually fight the people that caused 9-11.

July 16, 2008 11:02 pm at 11:02 pm |
  14. Rave

Obama = War in Iraq ends, more troops deployed to Afghanistan and end the Terrorism (or) atleast eliminate the main roots. War spending will reduce and eventually we will get back to our nomal lifes. We will be in a much safer, stronger position than the past 8 years.
    --------------------
    McPain = War continues in Iraq, Maybe extends to Iran, Syria, Jordan, Yemen, Palestine, Egypt, Bahrain, Dubai and the list goes on and on.. Meanwhile, terrorists in Afghanistan will have their base stronger. Spending will double or tripple and we will be in a much worse shape in the next 4 years. Also all the McPain's lobbyists will be millionaires, gas prices keep rising, jobs lost, home foreclosures..... McPain.. What a Pain in our Brain.
    OBAMA (2008 -16)

July 16, 2008 11:06 pm at 11:06 pm |
  15. a southern bell for OBAMA

YOU NEVER MIND THE VP.

HOW IS MCCLUELESS DOING WITH CZECHOSLOVAKIA?

July 16, 2008 11:07 pm at 11:07 pm |
  16. Dawn

Hillary Clinton is still the best bet if Obama wants to make a bigger gap between himself and McCain.

July 16, 2008 11:10 pm at 11:10 pm |
  17. mary

John Edwards is still the best choice. He has the vision it will take to move this country back from the abyss George Herbert Hoover Bush has taken us to.

July 16, 2008 11:10 pm at 11:10 pm |
  18. Texas Trail Dog

PLAIN AND SIMPLE, OBAMA. NO HILLARY, NO PRESIDENT!!!!~

July 16, 2008 11:14 pm at 11:14 pm |
  19. ANGIE

obama / powell or selibus or hagel

July 16, 2008 11:18 pm at 11:18 pm |
  20. Arden

Either one of these individuals would be good especially Sam Nunn. Also, keep Joe Biden in mind because of all of his experience.

July 16, 2008 11:23 pm at 11:23 pm |
  21. tom, mississipi

the quality, or lack thereof, of the posts here reflects the intelligence and integrity of CNN as a self-designated news media.

whatever fits their neo-con agenda gets paraded as "public opisnions."

CNN, if you think you're fooling anyone, it's only yourself that you're fooling, LOL.

July 16, 2008 11:24 pm at 11:24 pm |
  22. PUMA POWER

My comments rarely get posted, seriously. But of course I know CNN only lets a slim few anti-Obama comments just to make it look as if "everyone" is for the chosen one.

PUMA PAC – keep strong and Stop the madness.
    McCain '08 for Clinton '12

July 16, 2008 11:26 pm at 11:26 pm |
  23. James

Most of the Bilary supporters should either support OBAMA or shut their mouth, i'm getting sick of their stupid comments on this network everyday, They must be getting free gas, have no member of their family in Iraq, and eating stones everyday not to realise what is at stake here now....... Shame on you idiots

July 16, 2008 11:28 pm at 11:28 pm |
  24. pissedoff in boston

PEOPLE,

WATCH LIKE A HAWK, or

the wall-street loan sharks will make you pay for their life style.

MAKE THEM PAY BACK THEIR LAST ILL-GOTTEN PENNY

through hard labor for the rest of their life.

MAKE SURE THAT NOT A PENNY OUT OF YOUR HONESTLY EARNED MONEY WILL GO TO SUBSIDIZE THEIR OBSCENE LIE STYLE.

YOU are poorer than THEIR SLAVES, as it is now.

July 16, 2008 11:37 pm at 11:37 pm |
  25. pissedoff in boston

can someone post here about how there two clowns are all connected to the rich and powerful in DC and wallstreet?

they must be, as the neo-cons in the corporate media, such as CNN, with the nudge from the wallstreet loan sharks, are pushing them this hard.

everything stinks to high heaven.

July 16, 2008 11:40 pm at 11:40 pm |