July 17th, 2008

Bayh, Nunn dodge VP questions, but buzz rises

CNN

Watch Nunn and Bayh discuss the veepstakes.

(CNN) - Evan Bayh and Sam Nunn wanted to focus on Barack Obama's national security credentials Wednesday. The traveling press corps trailing the presumptive Democratic nominee’s campaign didn’t.

In a press conference following a campaign-sponsored roundtable discussion on emerging terrorist threats, Bayh and Nunn were bombarded by questions over reports both Democrats are on Obama's shortlist for vice president.

But Bayh, a senator from Indiana, and Nunn, a former senator from Georgia, revealed little about the Obama campaign's vetting process and their own ambitions for the job.

Veepstakes: Check out CNN's Political Market to see who's ahead

"I have never aspired to that office," said Nunn, who served in the Senate for 25 years. "It is always nice to have your name mentioned - it is an honor - but I have no expectation of being offered any office, and I am not in any way sitting on the edge of a chair ready to go back into government."

Nunn, one of the most respected Democratic voices on national security policy, seems to encounter vice presidential speculation every election cycle, given his appeal in the South and strength on issues where Republicans usually have the edge.

iReport.com: Share your picks for VP

Bayh, a former supporter of Hillary Clinton who also has red-state appeal, also brushed aside speculation he is being considered a spot on the ticket.

"I love serving the people of Indiana - and I think any questions about the vice presidential thing are understandable and it’s good for my ego, but I should probably let Senator Obama and his campaign address those kind of questions," he said.

One reporter asked the senator — whose father Birch Bayh ran for president in 1976 - if he was taking his name out of the VP running.

"I've got a plane to catch," he responded, chuckling.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • Evan Bayh • Popular Posts • Sam Nunn
  1. Bayou Joe

They wanted to focus on Obama's National Security credentials? That must have taken all of 15 seconds.

July 16, 2008 04:48 pm at 4:48 pm |
  2. DJ, LA, CA

Yes I agree with HG. Both Nunn and Bayh are very solid choices to balance out the ticket. Plus they are both from RED states.

Just as long as they are on the same page with Obama and not in bed with big $ lobbyists.

July 16, 2008 04:49 pm at 4:49 pm |
  3. MAMMA MIA

OBAMA/WHOMEVER IN 08

July 16, 2008 04:51 pm at 4:51 pm |
  4. Capt, Smash Salt Lake City, Utah

Freida, NYC

They know they will have to work hard under the Obama administration.

July 16, 2008 04:52 pm at 4:52 pm |
  5. Tejano

These old Democrat lap dogs are tickled PINK that Obama has come along and given them them the spotlight again. I will have NUNN of this. We need an American in charge of our Country.

Viva McCain.

July 16, 2008 04:52 pm at 4:52 pm |
  6. Michael, Torrance, CA

Who cares if Obama picks either one of these stiffs for VP. If Obama doesn't pick Edwards for his VP he's not as smarts as all of the liberals think he is. As a McCain supporter, I hope Obama does pick one of these clowns!

July 16, 2008 04:54 pm at 4:54 pm |
  7. doris

Frieda-NYC – Your remarks are just too dumb to publish. BTW - have you given your $1.00 of Hillary's 18M voters to help retire her debt?

July 16, 2008 04:56 pm at 4:56 pm |
  8. Mike, Syracuse NY

Both able to provide much needed adult supervision to junior.

July 16, 2008 04:56 pm at 4:56 pm |
  9. A Woman In California For Obama

I don't know enough about Nunn but please Obama stay away from Bayh.

July 16, 2008 04:58 pm at 4:58 pm |
  10. Willow, from Iowa

I personally think that Hillary would be a good VP IF (big IF) she were given something to keep her busy and boundaries were set up to keep her off of Obama's back and her husband out of the way. Maybe make her a cabinet member in charge of health care reform, etc. I will be glad to hear of any VP that Obama picks. I trust his judgment about who he wants backing him up.

July 16, 2008 04:58 pm at 4:58 pm |
  11. Larry WI

Humm, no one of any significance wants to be obama's VP, looks like he will have to settle for second best. The dem's are really taking it in the shorts this time around, they ended up with a looser for a candidate who can only attract the loosers.

July 16, 2008 04:58 pm at 4:58 pm |
  12. Tony, Memphis

Obama/Clark!!!

July 16, 2008 04:59 pm at 4:59 pm |
  13. Just Do It

Obama/Farakan 08

July 16, 2008 04:59 pm at 4:59 pm |
  14. ProundToBeDemocrat

You peple in media are sick people what don't you report what is hurnting our nation instead speculation about V.P we will know who the V.P is ones Obama and Mccain anounce it people are not worried about the V.P pick both candidates will a good choice. You people are Making nonissue to an issue just to creat news we sick of it. America needs smart and intellegent reporters like the old days.

July 16, 2008 04:59 pm at 4:59 pm |
  15. A R E T H A .... Respect

Way to go Nunn & Bayh .... the focus is on Foriegn Policy ... not whatever distraction the national press want's to advance.

I'd love to see a canned answer from every speculated Democratic VP candidate.
    – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –

"Senator Obama has previously state to the press that the 1st we all would hear about his choice for Vice President would come from him.

As the party's nominee, I am going to respect that intention and will not be commenting on any questions related to the Vice Presidency.

I trust you will respect me and my desires in that regard. Let's move on to questions about ________ and I'll do my best to answer those. "

– – – – – – – – – – – – – – -

July 16, 2008 05:00 pm at 5:00 pm |
  16. Dave

these two are CFR globalist cronies. obviously, Obama is not for the change he is peddling. these guys are bought and paid for puppets.

July 16, 2008 05:00 pm at 5:00 pm |
  17. Xavier

Brandon,
    I sincerely doubt that, "gays," as you call them would flock to McCain. That is just wishful thinking from former Hillary supporterswho cling to the hope that she can run in 2012. Fact of the matter is that if homosexuals did such a thing it would be like shooting themselves in the foot.

July 16, 2008 05:01 pm at 5:01 pm |
  18. JT

People in Indiana love Evan Bayh; he got more votes than President Bush in 2004. I was disappointed when he decided not to run for president, but if he was offered the VP spot Indiana would very much come into play. Obama/Bayh '08!

July 16, 2008 05:02 pm at 5:02 pm |
  19. Brian G, Sugar Land, TX

Both Evan Bayh and Sam Nunn sure do have pretty...hmm...smiles.

July 16, 2008 05:03 pm at 5:03 pm |
  20. Pumas like it on the Down Low

Stop talking about Hillary. She is not going to be VP. If it is going to be a woman it will be either Claire or Kathleen (Two people he can trust).

July 16, 2008 05:05 pm at 5:05 pm |
  21. Mark Anthony - Lake Elsinore, CA

Good God let the men concentrate on whats important national security, I didn't read anything about what was said about that. Only got the VP questions from the media.

July 16, 2008 05:05 pm at 5:05 pm |
  22. Ardnuas

I would LOVE to see an OBAMA/BAYH ticket....... this is the winner!!!

July 16, 2008 05:05 pm at 5:05 pm |
  23. Pumas like it on the Down Low

Hillary/Fat Ankles 08

July 16, 2008 05:06 pm at 5:06 pm |
  24. Denise Groves

Enough of the speculation! Whoever Obama and McCain select will probably come as a shock to everybody

July 16, 2008 05:06 pm at 5:06 pm |
  25. jane s.....naples fl

2 highly qualified choices. speaks well for barack obama's intelligence and judgement. right on senator obama.

July 16, 2008 05:06 pm at 5:06 pm |