July 17th, 2008

Bayh, Nunn dodge VP questions, but buzz rises

CNN

Watch Nunn and Bayh discuss the veepstakes.

(CNN) - Evan Bayh and Sam Nunn wanted to focus on Barack Obama's national security credentials Wednesday. The traveling press corps trailing the presumptive Democratic nominee’s campaign didn’t.

In a press conference following a campaign-sponsored roundtable discussion on emerging terrorist threats, Bayh and Nunn were bombarded by questions over reports both Democrats are on Obama's shortlist for vice president.

But Bayh, a senator from Indiana, and Nunn, a former senator from Georgia, revealed little about the Obama campaign's vetting process and their own ambitions for the job.

Veepstakes: Check out CNN's Political Market to see who's ahead

"I have never aspired to that office," said Nunn, who served in the Senate for 25 years. "It is always nice to have your name mentioned - it is an honor - but I have no expectation of being offered any office, and I am not in any way sitting on the edge of a chair ready to go back into government."

Nunn, one of the most respected Democratic voices on national security policy, seems to encounter vice presidential speculation every election cycle, given his appeal in the South and strength on issues where Republicans usually have the edge.

iReport.com: Share your picks for VP

Bayh, a former supporter of Hillary Clinton who also has red-state appeal, also brushed aside speculation he is being considered a spot on the ticket.

"I love serving the people of Indiana - and I think any questions about the vice presidential thing are understandable and it’s good for my ego, but I should probably let Senator Obama and his campaign address those kind of questions," he said.

One reporter asked the senator — whose father Birch Bayh ran for president in 1976 - if he was taking his name out of the VP running.

"I've got a plane to catch," he responded, chuckling.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • Evan Bayh • Popular Posts • Sam Nunn
  1. Griff

Santa Claus has a better chance of CIC, than Borack OBama... You know? The Guy with the Black Beard, That lives in the East Pole...

July 16, 2008 05:51 pm at 5:51 pm |
  2. A Latte Lover, Seattle, WA

I'm sure that who ever Senator Obama picks will be great!! There really are many good choices. I'm still for Biden! On MSNBC's Veep Stakes, Biden and Clinton are the last two to vote on. Last I checked, Biden is beating Hillary out by 59-41% with over 30,000 votes cast. Senator Obama will probably totally surprise us all with his pick though.

Obama/Biden, 08

July 16, 2008 05:52 pm at 5:52 pm |
  3. Marge Hibbing Mn

obama is not the presidential choice yet....ANYTHING can happen from now till the convention. And I hope his ship of state dream is sunk.

July 16, 2008 05:52 pm at 5:52 pm |
  4. Wisest one of All

The two are honorable men and should have nothing to do with that terrorists sleeper plant Hussein Obama!

July 16, 2008 05:53 pm at 5:53 pm |
  5. sue

Whatever. Pick one man, pick any man. Heaven forbid a woman should be chosen to help run this so-called developed country.

July 16, 2008 05:54 pm at 5:54 pm |
  6. Obama 08

There are still some people in the country who are not ready for a black man to be president. The hateful digs that people make such as Obama/Farrakan will continue. But nothing answers the critics like success.

Obama 08

July 16, 2008 05:55 pm at 5:55 pm |
  7. Tejano

Cathy I do know about Obama and what I know scares the hell out of me. What you know about Obama is what he talks about publicly.

Want to know him better go on the internet and check out his followers/mentors and his own book. Want to really get to know him, read the Koran.... That is what he where his real beliefs come from.
    Every person has his or her personality and orientation fixed by the time he or she is 9 years old. Add 20 years in Wrights church and you get a pretty good picture of Barak Hussein Obama.

July 16, 2008 05:55 pm at 5:55 pm |
  8. Danny

I'm sick of all the fake blogs that bash candidates! You better be getting paid good money to write this useless crap that youre spewing out because it's your soul that's going to have to deal with the devil!

I'm so SICK of the fake bloggers on the internet. LET'S HAVE

July 16, 2008 05:56 pm at 5:56 pm |
  9. Danny

REAL OPINIONS PLEASE!

NO MORE FAKE BLOGGERS! GO BACK TO YOUR SPONSORS PLEASE!

July 16, 2008 05:57 pm at 5:57 pm |
  10. Enlightened Voter

Obama's judgment has proved to be brilliant so I am behind whomever he chooses EXCEPT HILLARY!

July 16, 2008 06:00 pm at 6:00 pm |
  11. Candy West Virginia

Hey Brandon Hillary PUMA 4Mc – I am a staunch supporter of Obama's and have donated to his campaign however if he picks hillary I will not vote. Wonder how many of his 18 million supporters feel the same way?

July 16, 2008 06:02 pm at 6:02 pm |
  12. William, from Cali!

We really want somebody for VP, that "really wants to be Vice President"; and will do a good job in that office.............now, isn't that what, we really want of any VP!

July 16, 2008 06:03 pm at 6:03 pm |
  13. Lisa

Obama is scared to debate Mccain and he's 105 years old!!

Obama was scared to debate Hillary once, when she made he look like a complete idiot he brushed his shoulders off and said he's already debated her 22 times.

22 times is nothing considering he's running to become the President of the United States and not the President of the BET AWARDS!!!

July 16, 2008 06:03 pm at 6:03 pm |
  14. Tim, Seattle

someone said: "No Hillary, NO VOTE"

Sorry, you have no say and we dont do extortion. Your threat is less than weak.
    We are doiing fine without you. But do keep on carrying on as if you have some leverage

Thanks for playing, though!

Obama/Anyone he chooses 08'

July 16, 2008 06:04 pm at 6:04 pm |
  15. 17 year old future politician

Obama/Hagel 08' thats my dream ticket!!!!!! Talk about uniting the PEOPLE!!! (not just dems. or repubs. but both!!) it's flawless!!!!!

July 16, 2008 06:04 pm at 6:04 pm |
  16. Mike S lost his bearings

MIke S: "Who cares. Obama's candidacy is a joke. Empty suit"
    --–

Hey Mike, Hillary called to remind you she still has your balls!

July 16, 2008 06:06 pm at 6:06 pm |
  17. KE

There are still over a hundred and something super delegates left who haven’t committed to either candidate.

-There was in a city a judge, which feared not God, neither regarded man. And there was a widow in that city; and she came unto him, saying, Avenge me of mine adversary. And he would not for a while: but afterward he said within himself, Though I fear not God, nor regard man; Yet because this window troubleth me, I will avenge her, lest by her continual coming she weary me-

Persistence is another name for PUMA

July 16, 2008 06:07 pm at 6:07 pm |
  18. Veteran from New York City

This is in reply to TEJANO: Mr. Tejano, do yourself a favor, go back to Mexico and educated yourself then comeback to America. It seems like you don't even know what are you talking about. Let me enlightening you, Senator John McCain wasn't even born in America. He was born in Panama because his father was a naval officer. This is your lesson for today. If you cannot educate yourself during the daytime, go to school at night. Viva America

July 16, 2008 06:09 pm at 6:09 pm |
  19. colene

if obama is a joke mccain has to be a double duty joke.

July 16, 2008 06:11 pm at 6:11 pm |
  20. Troy, Seattel WA

Obama/Clinton

July 16, 2008 06:11 pm at 6:11 pm |
  21. Rick

Nobody wants to be this nitwit's VP...except Bill Richardson who couldn't run a lemonade stand.

July 16, 2008 06:13 pm at 6:13 pm |
  22. Bulldog

I find it hillarious how all of these GOP morons are just repeating Rush Limbaugh talking points. Since when has Limbaugh ever been credible. He self admits he is an entertainer and not a political academic. Limbaugh is a moron and his moron troops are following faithfully right here on this board. Following and actually believing what Limbaugh says is equivalent to being an Islamic terrorist martyr. You must be so proud of yourselves.

July 16, 2008 06:13 pm at 6:13 pm |
  23. Susan

Hillary for veep. She & Obama make a great team.

OBAMA/HILLARY 08

July 16, 2008 06:17 pm at 6:17 pm |
  24. Rose

Isn't Nunn a part of "Old Washington Group" that Obama said he wanted to get rid of?? All of a sudden he needs their expertise so now they are good enough for him. He sure can't stay the course he first laid out. Seems to me he should be eating some of his own words.

July 16, 2008 06:19 pm at 6:19 pm |
  25. River70

Instead of talking about the vice president the press failed the American people as usual and did not report the news from the conference. There were important issues spoken about but the press likes to distract the voters and go for the fluff. I am sure that in due time we will find out both candidates VPs and then the press can start the mindless attacks. One of their faves is " who would you rather bar-b-que with or have a beer?
    The American people should demand more.

July 16, 2008 06:20 pm at 6:20 pm |