July 17th, 2008

Bayh, Nunn dodge VP questions, but buzz rises

CNN

Watch Nunn and Bayh discuss the veepstakes.

(CNN) - Evan Bayh and Sam Nunn wanted to focus on Barack Obama's national security credentials Wednesday. The traveling press corps trailing the presumptive Democratic nominee’s campaign didn’t.

In a press conference following a campaign-sponsored roundtable discussion on emerging terrorist threats, Bayh and Nunn were bombarded by questions over reports both Democrats are on Obama's shortlist for vice president.

But Bayh, a senator from Indiana, and Nunn, a former senator from Georgia, revealed little about the Obama campaign's vetting process and their own ambitions for the job.

Veepstakes: Check out CNN's Political Market to see who's ahead

"I have never aspired to that office," said Nunn, who served in the Senate for 25 years. "It is always nice to have your name mentioned - it is an honor - but I have no expectation of being offered any office, and I am not in any way sitting on the edge of a chair ready to go back into government."

Nunn, one of the most respected Democratic voices on national security policy, seems to encounter vice presidential speculation every election cycle, given his appeal in the South and strength on issues where Republicans usually have the edge.

iReport.com: Share your picks for VP

Bayh, a former supporter of Hillary Clinton who also has red-state appeal, also brushed aside speculation he is being considered a spot on the ticket.

"I love serving the people of Indiana - and I think any questions about the vice presidential thing are understandable and it’s good for my ego, but I should probably let Senator Obama and his campaign address those kind of questions," he said.

One reporter asked the senator — whose father Birch Bayh ran for president in 1976 - if he was taking his name out of the VP running.

"I've got a plane to catch," he responded, chuckling.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • Evan Bayh • Popular Posts • Sam Nunn
  1. akaDoug

I'd be happy with anyone but Hillary! If Obama picks her, he can kiss my vote goodbye...I don't vote for slime and the Clintons are slime!

July 16, 2008 06:20 pm at 6:20 pm |
  2. discerner

I am waiting for Nunn and Bayh to clarify that they are not interested to be VP

July 16, 2008 06:24 pm at 6:24 pm |
  3. Capt. Jack

If Obama doesn't pick HRC as his VP I will not vote for him and neither will my fellow soldiers.

July 16, 2008 06:25 pm at 6:25 pm |
  4. Julianne Barbato

Someone on a forum I belong said that Obie will have to get an illegal immigrant to take the job!

July 16, 2008 06:27 pm at 6:27 pm |
  5. Lorenzo Clemons

There is one statement I heard someone say: " I spent too much time concentrating on the ant hole and let the whole colony run up my leg. The result is I am still putting lotion on the bites". We better make sure we have VicePresident who is smart, caring and accomplished. He or she should not be a Hawk on war, but a person who believes that we can win peace by diplomatic means. That if we must we will defend our safety, not for gas or resources, but for the good of the American People. I believe in my country and I served like so many others, I believe we should try to make America live up to what we are – a mix of people with different backgrounds and life styles who should love and care for each other. My dream is that and my hope is for much more. An American Veteran who cares.

July 16, 2008 06:28 pm at 6:28 pm |
  6. TheTruthHurts

all of these events are auditions with America voting like American Idol. Romney has been the best at it by far. His stock has risen considerably. I didn't see bayh, but nunn has done the best on the Dems side. Hillary has been a close second. Hillary seems to like the spotlight for herself a bit much, but that's understandable and could be corrected in time. Richardson sucks at it and needs to be stopped. Lieberman was good for McCain. Clark shot himself in the foot. Webb is out. I like the Huck, but he's hurt he's not in the running.

Looks like Hillary and Romney to me because Nunn doesn't really want the job.

July 16, 2008 06:28 pm at 6:28 pm |
  7. sue

Here's a slightly horrifying revelation: Bayh uses the Bushian pronunciation of the word "nuclear." NucUlar!

July 16, 2008 06:31 pm at 6:31 pm |
  8. Dee Dee

What happened Governor Tim Paine of Virginia?

July 16, 2008 06:32 pm at 6:32 pm |
  9. Brandon Hillary PUMA 4Mc

Doris:
    If its not it will only make puma that much more stronger,
    Puma and even possibly Mc Kinney.

July 16, 2008 06:33 pm at 6:33 pm |
  10. ac

How about Roland Martin for VP?
    I am kidding and hope he doesn't blush, but as a life-long Democrat I do have to say I have come to agree more and more with the traditional Republican view on Education.

County school systems need to be held accountable for the quality provision of education to our children and if they can't figure out how to provide it, people should have the freedom to find another school that can!
    And, I hate to say it, but it is minority neighborhoods who suffer the most from this disparity.
    WE cannot afford yet another institution to fail our future generations!
    Better schools!
    Better teachers attracted by higher pay for their talents measured by the success of their students!
    FORECLOSURE to all inadequate Schools!!!!!

July 16, 2008 06:33 pm at 6:33 pm |
  11. jmcconnell

not sure where the "indiana loves evan" thing comes from. talk about a do-nothing governor and senator. if obama wants an empty hat-rack, pick evan.

July 16, 2008 06:34 pm at 6:34 pm |
  12. Oregon calling

We really need to keep the numbers in the Senate. Please choose a VP from the House or elsewhere.
    Obama / 08

July 16, 2008 06:34 pm at 6:34 pm |
  13. aware

Boring!

Idolatry ?

July 16, 2008 06:35 pm at 6:35 pm |
  14. Brandon Hillary PUMA 4Mc

Doris:
    Yes I have also given money to retire Hillarys debt the same money I could have given obama if I believed in him-We shall see where money goes once he picks his vice president huh.

July 16, 2008 06:35 pm at 6:35 pm |
  15. aware

Boring!

They will not help the arrogant, narcissistic guy who has no moral center, no core principles and no priorities except to win! :(

Idolatry?

July 16, 2008 06:35 pm at 6:35 pm |
  16. david

no hillary no vote for – for the ingrates so called democrats

PUMA!

No Hillary, NO VOTE. Dems you could have had an absolute dream ticket with Hillary/Obama……but you cut off your nose to spite your face
    agreed with Hello!! 100%

PS
    and I do not need to be on the down low – I am openly gay, out and proud of it- for those who calls puma pact down low.

July 16, 2008 06:37 pm at 6:37 pm |
  17. Dan, TX

Glad to see America starting to follow Obama's ideas on foreign policy. Thank you President Bush for sending envoys to negotiate with IRAN!

July 16, 2008 06:37 pm at 6:37 pm |
  18. No More Laughter

Jack,

Barack doesn't need to make us laugh, we've been laughing for 7 years now. The party's over, let's get the soliders home and improve the economy. Our dollar is like a peso–this is serious.

July 16, 2008 06:38 pm at 6:38 pm |
  19. I think not

really? come on
    July 16th, 2008 5:19 pm ET
    Griff, are you on crack or can you just not form a complete sentence?
    ---

He had a couple of posts yesterday too which made absolutely no sense. Maybe he needs to take a look at some of Obama's education policies and consider voting for him in November!!

July 16, 2008 06:39 pm at 6:39 pm |
  20. JohnBoy

How about some debates?

Lets hear Obama and McCain have at it.

No restrictions on questions.

No notes, just a good old debate.

McCain 08

July 16, 2008 06:41 pm at 6:41 pm |
  21. NOBAMA

OBAMA AGAIN CLAIMS HILLARY IS ON THE SHORT LIST. IS THAT THE LIST HE PUT IN THE CIRCULAR FILE? I HAVE HEARD THIS WEEK ABOUT OBAMA DOING THINGS WITH SEVERAL OF HIS VP POSSABILITIES. WHEN IT COMES TO HILLARY ALL HE DOES IS USE AND ABUSE HER. THE ONLY TIME HE DOES ANYTHING WITH HER IS IF IT MEANS SOMETHING FOR HIM. HE EVEN TELLS CLINTON SUPPORTERS SHE IS ON HIS SHORT LIST. HE LIES TO EVERYONE SO HE CAN GET EVERYBODY TO BACK HIM WITH MONEY AND WORK. HIS WORD IS LIKE A BABY YOU CAN'T COUNT ON IT. HE LEADS EVERYONE HE CAN TO BELIEVE THEY WILL GET SOME JOB IN HI CABNET BUT IF NOT IN WRITING IT NEVER HAPPENED. HE WANTS CHANGE AND THE ONLY CHANGE HE WILL GIVE IS CHANGING HIS MIND.I TRUST HIM AS FAR AS I CAN THROW HIM
    DEMOCRATS4McCAIN

July 16, 2008 06:43 pm at 6:43 pm |
  22. Diane

I'm sure we will hear about the VP choices in due time. Would like to see a woman for the democratic VP and Colin Powell for republicans. (I wish he was running for president!! Any votes from the floor at the convention?)

July 16, 2008 06:45 pm at 6:45 pm |
  23. Tracy

Ok, Ron Paul is NOT going to be president or vice-president, at least this time around. I admire his supporter's loyalty, but REALLY, get a reality check.

There are a lot of people on the list that could be Obama's VP. Even a republican- which would be an interesting choice, for unity. However, no one knows. No one will know until they say- it might not be until the convention.

AND- it won't be Hillary either, way too many complications there. So 'Dream ticket' people can calm down, take a deep breath.

I am getting tired of the speculation. We have all seen the list. Posting why or why not for one or the other is fine. It helps us get to know them. It's the speculation because one or another 'talked' to Obama –"oooohhhhhh" or one travelled with Obama -'OOOhhhhhh". That is just silly.

Sit back and wait for the answer.

July 16, 2008 06:45 pm at 6:45 pm |
  24. Chelsea, MN

The flood gates are open, and America has tasted what it feels like to have everyone's brainpower in the pool. We can select women, Native Americans, African Americans, everybody. We are a better country because of the this campaign. You don't have to be born white and male. It's a great day.

July 16, 2008 06:46 pm at 6:46 pm |
  25. whiner

obama will have a hard time finding someone as intelligent as he is, to be vice president.i think a vice president like john edwards,[who knows how to use a shovel,as shown on cnn,when he was helping with the cleanup in the 9th ward of new orleans],is what will best for america.it's going to take a lot of shovels to clean the stench that the bush administration will leave behind in the white house.

July 16, 2008 06:50 pm at 6:50 pm |