July 17th, 2008

June take for Obama's campaign coffers: $52 million

Barack Obama's campaign says it raised more than twice as much as John McCain last month.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Barack Obama's campaign raised $52 million last month, more than twice the amount of funds brought in by his rival, John McCain, according to campaign officials for the presumed Democratic presidential nominee.

Obama's campaign now has $72 million cash on hand, the term used to describe how much money they currently have to spend, campaign officials said Thursday.

The average donation to Obama in June was $68, the officials said, bringing the monthly total to more than twice the $22 million raised in May. Meanwhile, the Democratic National Committee reports it raised over $22 million in June - bringing the total cash-on-hand held by Obama and the DNC to $92 million.

At that time, the Illinois senator was still locked in a fierce primary battle with Sen. Hillary Clinton for the Democratic presidential nomination, and Obama was spending more time campaigning for votes and delegates than simply fundraising.

With the conclusion of the primaries in early June and Clinton's suspension of her campaign just days later, Obama's campaign cash numbers had been expected to rise in June.

McCain's campaign raised $22 million in June, its best month yet. The campaign said that combined with the Republican National Committee, they have about $95 million cash on hand.

Earlier: McCain camp says GOP has $95 million

In a fundraising e-mail to supporters, Obama Campaign Manager David Plouffe acknowledged the deficit, saying that “McCain and the RNC together still have a huge cash advantage, and we need your help to close the gap.”

Obama has opted out of using public financing for his campaign, but McCain is accepting federal funds. That means at the conclusion of the political conventions in September, McCain will get about $85 million in public funds to spend on his campaign until Election Day, November 4th.

Obama will receive no federal money, but is free to raise and spend as much money as he can. If he continues to raise large amounts of money, he could have an advantage over McCain when it comes to campaign cash in the crucial months of September and October.

Money of course is not the only factor in the campaign, but it does pay for advertisements on television, radio, the Internet and in print, as well as fund expensive get-out-the-vote efforts in crucial battleground states across the country.

1. maurice

Brothers unite vote Obama!

July 17, 2008 10:01 am at 10:01 am |
  2. Unity is the ANSWER!!!!

Joanne -– Yes, of course he raissed this money with Hillary's help
    Really lol Hillary is still so much mor qualified. It is rally unfortaunate The DNC let her down.This nominee was hand picked What a shame. He better pick her for his VP or else he might get quite the surprise th is Nov.
    ****************************************************************************
    Mr Obama Campaign Raised more Money than HRC during the Primary........Hillary has a debt that he and his supporters are willingly helping her.......What we don't need is any negativity or treats(He better pick her Or ELSE )Obama and Hillary has a good Rapport .....let's move on ...... If you think you know everything ...you have a lot to learn!!
    UNITY is the ANSWER!!!!!

July 17, 2008 10:02 am at 10:02 am |
  3. JD

JB,
    Marx? come on – communism and socialism don't work! This is proven over and over on a worldwide basis. Oh sure, it sounds sweet on paper, but it punishes people for excelling and promotes mediocrity.

Capitalism and free markets work best; no one ever got a job from a poor person, and strong companies hire more people.

Anyway, thanks for helping confirm that Obama is a Socialist, or possibly a Communist.

July 17, 2008 10:02 am at 10:02 am |
  4. Eric in Ca

David in Il... Empty suit...ah? I guess that makes you a Naked Fool!

It's apparent many of you don't care to know more about Obama – sad, but by your own ignorance you'd vote for McCain when he nor the Bush policies he's adopted are helping Americans! I can't figure?!
    I guess you'll never see that the Foreign Policies that Obama has been advocating for months are just now being adopted by Bush/McCain... yes who has the foresight on Iraq, Iran & Afghanistan! – OBAMA!

Obama 08

July 17, 2008 10:03 am at 10:03 am |
  5. Shawna

The cover of the New Yorker got me so upset that I made an additional donation this month.

July 17, 2008 10:03 am at 10:03 am |
  6. Anthony, Dallas, Tx

Great Job Barack!!!!!!!!! I can't give $50 but hear go $25

July 17, 2008 10:03 am at 10:03 am |
  7. Helene

To JS: This is exactly why I am contributing to the Obama campaign. Because I want to see change enacted !

July 17, 2008 10:03 am at 10:03 am |
  8. John McCain

J.S.,

We could also use the $85 million I'm taking from the public to help with those problems.

Just a thought.

Your friend,

John

July 17, 2008 10:04 am at 10:04 am |
  9. Your kidding!!!

More people who own him, people wake up, he's being bought, he now owes these people-organizations. No change same bull-different faces!

July 17, 2008 10:04 am at 10:04 am |
  10. GIVE BO RIGHT GUARD, Ohio

MAYBE THAT'LL PAY FOR ALL HIS FLIP FLOPPIN. THIS JUST MOTIVATES ME TO DONATE ANOTHER $50 TO MCCAIN. PUMA!

July 17, 2008 10:04 am at 10:04 am |
  11. nannie bouroughs, Kenosha, WI

I've notified the Obama campaign that I want the $525.00 that I've contributed to his campaign back!

Every other word out of his mouth is a LIE!

The last straw was his vote for FISA, which allows the government to spy on Americans: CHANGE?

July 17, 2008 10:04 am at 10:04 am |
  12. Nduka

Sent my $55 dollars last month. The average was $68, so that means I need to top the average. Way to go Obama, WE got your back.

July 17, 2008 10:05 am at 10:05 am |
  13. Ed, Santa Fe NM

SOCK IT TO ME, PRESIDENT OBAMA!

July 17, 2008 10:05 am at 10:05 am |
  14. Xavier

PUMA to Pac,
    "I dont care about my rights as a woman, go McCain."
    That has got to be the most ignorant thing I have ever heard! How can you say that? Is your hate for Obama so great that you dont realize or care that these arent only your rights, but the rights of all other women? These are not only your rights, these are the rights of my sisters, my aunts, my mom, my friends , my daughters and my wife. Pay attention PUMA and other hate filled organizations, these is the mind set that you are creating! You are spitting on everything that the candiate you supported stands for. Hillary should be ashamed of having had such people as her supporters.

July 17, 2008 10:05 am at 10:05 am |
  15. Anonymous

AWSOME!!!!! I'm donating money too, I truly believe Obama would be a great leader. I enjoy the polls showing the race close, because it keeps us Obama supporters fired up and ready to go!!! We are determined this time.

July 17, 2008 10:05 am at 10:05 am |
  16. whinnners

hey u whinners, surely u are in a mental recession...giving so much when gasoline is skyrocketing...think phil had a point

July 17, 2008 10:05 am at 10:05 am |
  17. GIFTY

Mccain 08

July 17, 2008 10:07 am at 10:07 am |
  18. Obama Supporter

After my bills I had 25.00 left in my account for the week, I sent 10.00 in and will do so again.

I am happy to support a serious candidate that will bring about change for our country and also improve the way we are seen in the world.

July 17, 2008 10:07 am at 10:07 am |
  19. I hate Hillary

Obama is a socialist; If you want our country to no longer be the dominate force of the world where we have to ask evil dictators not to attack us. Than indeed vote for this stupid man who thinks the world is all rosey attitude. He will lead this country down the toliet. He has NO idea what it takes to lead a group of people, much less a counrty. He is WRONG his Ideas are WRONG. This country is a free country, but will not be with much HIGHER taxes, socialist health care. He is everything this counrty went to war for to gain our freedom. Wake up America.

July 17, 2008 10:07 am at 10:07 am |
  20. what?

to you sceptics and naysayers...WE THE PEOPLE WANT OUR COUNTRY BACK.
    we are doing in 08 what we failed to do in 2000 and 04...we are getting fired up. we are giving our money our time our homes volunteering even though times are hard and trust me times are hard for several reasons, but most important we are giving to let the big business and big oil know that we are taking our country back. we are giving because not matter what some of you think or say Mr.Obama IS the best candidate. WE ARE GIVING BECAUSE WE CAN NOT AFFORD ANOTHER BUSH/ REPUBLICAN ADMINISTRATION. WE ARE GIVING BECAUSE WE CAN NOT AFFORD NOT TO GIVE!!!

July 17, 2008 10:07 am at 10:07 am |
  21. Walter

i have taken the pains to follow US presidentail elections since the time of Clinton vs Bob Dole till date. I read all comments posted here on cnn every day and watch situation room every nite. But what i cant seem to understand up till now is why some people keep saying the DNC handed the nomination to Obama and stuffs like that.

I was very disappointed with the DNC for even changing the rules in the middle of a contest. If it were to have been done in a country like Nigeria or Zimbabuwe, CNN would have made a lot of noise about it. Why didnt Hillary and her supporteds voice thier opposition before the IOWA elections but wait untill she has lost and the DNC bent bacwards to support her.

I wish Obama good luck in his campagin and look forward to his been elected as president. The world certainly need no other war monger

July 17, 2008 10:07 am at 10:07 am |
  22. London 4 Obama

London is looking forward to giving Obama the PRESIDENTIAL welcome that he deserves on his visit! America, please do the world a favour and vote this man in.... PLEASE! We believe in you America. Go Obama '08!!

July 17, 2008 10:08 am at 10:08 am |
  23. Dave, Santa Barbara CA

¡Sí se puede!

July 17, 2008 10:09 am at 10:09 am |
  24. Magdalena-Maria-Anna

I strongly believe Barack is the best man for 'the job' and its great knowing that 94% of the planet agrees!

YES WE CAN
    OBAMA 08
    Love from Greece!

July 17, 2008 10:10 am at 10:10 am |
  25. Rob-

AWSOME!!!! I'm donating money too. I truly believe Obama will be a great leader. I enjoy the polls showing the race close becaue it keeps us Obama supporters on our toes, it also lets me know I will definately have to show up and vote in order for us to win in Nov. . The difference this time is we are fired and ready to go. So CNN keep down playing how effective Obama is, it only fuels us.

July 17, 2008 10:10 am at 10:10 am |