July 17th, 2008

McCain: Not taking Nebraska for granted

McCain says he will have to compete in Nebraska.
McCain says he will have to compete in Nebraska.

OMAHA, Nebraska (CNN) - John McCain has made a recent habit of telling audiences at his fundraisers that he is “the underdog in this race.”

But is he so far behind Barack Obama that he’ll spend serious time and money competing in …Nebraska?

"We are the underdog," McCain said at a finance event in Ashland, Nebraska Wednesday night. "We are not taking the state of Nebraska for granted. I’m going to campaign here and compete here and I need your help. We need to organize. We need to get out the vote. We’ve got a headwind because our economy’s tough.”

According to the CNN Electoral Map, Nebraska is solidly red, a “safe” state for McCain. The state hasn’t voted for a Democrat in a presidential election since the Lyndon Johnson landslide of 1964.

It’s one of two states, along with Maine, that splits its electoral votes according to congressional districts – one vote for each of the state’s three congressional districts, with two more votes allocated to the state winner.

Filed under: John McCain
  1. Ted van Tol

Marc,

You called Barack Hussein Obama, Obama Bin Laden!

It s saying so much about yourself and nothing about Barack!

You wil see after a few years how wrong and hateful you were!

What has happend to you to become so bitter? I am very sorry for you
    and your family.

I am so grateful when Barack wil be elected.
    I am not an American but I thing global and he wil be my President too! He gives me hope for a better world and that is a miracle after
    you last President.

Europe for Obama!

July 17, 2008 03:20 pm at 3:20 pm |
  2. HG

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

NEBRASKA, if McCain doesnt win here he will win no where. I have never seen such a poor campaign this man has run. Going to place you should not. Its tells what kind of President he would be.

Wheres your next trip to Vermont.

July 17, 2008 03:20 pm at 3:20 pm |
  3. Drew from Green Bay, WI

McCain is obviously trying to raise funds, however, he runs the risk of seeming out of touch.

July 17, 2008 03:22 pm at 3:22 pm |
  4. Ronnie

I am sure glad I am not a member of the hate filled Obama campaign.

You people can't even get on a blog and debate with honest facts, all you can do is name call and slander.

I just hope you people aren't old enough to vote so we don't end up with the Obama in the White House.

July 17, 2008 03:31 pm at 3:31 pm |
  5. raymond from wellington (New Zealand)

PUMA people

Why don't you all grow up – your girl thought she was going to be crowned not elected, and let her courtiers run her 'campaign' into the toilet.

Are you really going to vote for eight more years of the same just because your candidate showed she wasn't capable of running a bath, let alone a country.

As we say here in NZ sounds like someone is tossing the toys out of the sandpit.

The Nebraska story sounds a bit like the media casting around for a story over the summer to me – roll on the VP annoucements (Crist and Rendell ...).

KIWIS FOR OBAMA

July 17, 2008 03:32 pm at 3:32 pm |
  6. obama is unfit to be president of this country

michelle obama will do and say ANYTHING to get into the White House.

July 17, 2008 03:36 pm at 3:36 pm |
  7. dAVE

Obama is on track to win in a 300+ electoral college landslide.

He is winning ALL the 2004 Kerry states plus CO, NM, IA and OH.

He is very competetive in VA, FL, GA, NC, MT, NV, ND, and MO.

And McCain is campaigning in Nebraska? The old guy is doomed.

July 17, 2008 03:47 pm at 3:47 pm |
  8. Andria in OKC

OBAMA '08!

July 17, 2008 03:47 pm at 3:47 pm |
  9. Neutral

So much for experience. CZECHOSLOVAKIA. We will soon hear stuffs like Rhodesia, USSR, Upper Volta, East Germany, West Germany etc. This guy is living in the past... age-old past. Let's have a change we can believe in. Please

July 17, 2008 03:58 pm at 3:58 pm |
  10. Tarla

Is it just me or is the left side of McCain's cheek swollen?

The man ain't in good health. He needs to just give it up.

Democrat's 08

July 17, 2008 03:59 pm at 3:59 pm |
  11. Stephen of Red Bluff, CA

Hey James for Chicago–Obama isn't forcing anyone to donate money to his campaign. People, like me, are giving whatever we can because we're sick and tired of the rich getting richer from tax breaks and other GOP incentives. I'm just starting my own business and I'm far from flush, but I do feel it is well worth whatever I can give to help bring about change in this country. If you're so sick of not being able to feed your family, ask yourself why that is...what's been going on for the last few years to make it so difficult to make ends meet??

I'll give you a hint: Bush, Republicans, McCain...does that help? Sure, let the rich continue to donate to the candidates and let the rich continue to call the shots...NO THANK YOU!!

The average donation to the Obama campaign is $68. That's coming from good people like you and me, buddy, NOT some ulterior-motived industry or PAC. Only real change is possible when the little guy (hint: look in the mirror) has an active role in bringing it to fruition.

If you can't afford to give right now, DON'T. But don't belittle or discount what I felt I could give. I gave through choice and desire to make a change.

Peace.

July 17, 2008 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  12. Riley In Nebraska

If a<b, and b<c, then a<c...right?

McCain was runner up to Bush in 2000 GOP Nomination...therefore...

McCain<Bush

Bush=HORRIBLE PRESIDENT...therefore...

McCain<HORRIBLE PRESIDENT...

Simple Math.

Any Questions?

July 17, 2008 04:02 pm at 4:02 pm |
  13. FREE AND THE BRAVE

In response to:
    Mcno:
    Phil in KC:
    KRJ:
    To clarify, I am off work, having been disabled by the V.A.I joined the Marines, instead of being drafted. I was in a force recon unit in Cambodia, and now paying for that service. I am not prejudiced, I just don't think with the major problems our country is facing, that Obama is qualified to lead us out of this mess. In all due respect to you that responeded to my post, I mostly see the same people on Msm, on here it is a little more "balanced."

July 17, 2008 04:03 pm at 4:03 pm |
  14. Dwight

no thanks to 8 years or republican out of control spending on trillion dollar war . we know it was a lie. make matters worse,you know you will have to pay up. your going to blame the democrats on that. call them socialist or do you mean owning up to republican irresponsibilities. not to mention the loss of lives.

unfortunately his track records backs another Bush term.
    His stance on the war
    we were winning, we wouldnt be there long
    we will only be there long enough to train them
    we were still rebuilding
    we will be there 100 years
    we will only be there till 2013
    now he doesnt know how long.
    can you say, just keep your wallet open for me ..

McCain believes we don't need to significantly change course. He credits Bush for overseeing "great progress economically," but he fails to mention that for the first time since World War II, we have experienced sustained national economic growth while personal incomes have dropped. McCain's economic stimulus plan is based on increased deregulation, slashing corporate taxes from 35 percent to 25 percent, and making permanent the Bush income tax cuts, which disproportionately benefit the wealthy.

dont blame the democrats, somebody eventually has to pay up.
    i am sure they will say socialism when it hurts to be fiscally responsible since they haven't been in the last 8 years

No to McSame

July 17, 2008 04:03 pm at 4:03 pm |
  15. CLINTON 08 VP

YEAH GRAMPS, KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK...

UNITED WE'RE STRONGER

OBAMA (P) & CLINTON (VP) 2008-2014

NO TO "BUSH II" (MCCAIN), SERIOUSLY, TAKE IT EASY, YOU DON'T WANT TO BUMP YOUR HEAD AGAIN

July 17, 2008 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |
  16. Ba-Rock!

Yeah! Raymond. I love Kiwis. I cannot understand the reasoning behind Hillary supporters not backing Obama. It does not add up. Let me see... Hillary and Obama had basically the same views on important issues and McCain's are opposite. Since Hillary did not get the nomination they are switching to him. Either they were supporting Hillary solely because she is a woman while turning their back on their party or they were Dems who are now turning on their party to vote for the other white candidate. It sounds pretty shallow either way. I was a Hillary supporter. I am a woman and neither black nor white and am independent. I am choosing my candidate on more meaningful issues other than race, religion, sex, or party. Isn't that the way it should be?

July 17, 2008 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |
  17. Go Blue in NE

John McCain is only coming here because he knows Obama will be competitive here. Why else would he come to a state that he is pretty confident about winning?

Let's hope Nebraskans change this state to a blue one this election!

July 17, 2008 04:17 pm at 4:17 pm |
  18. Scott, Wichita

Nice shades!

July 17, 2008 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  19. T Woods

Of course he is not going to take Nebraska lightly! We all saw what happened to Hillary!

Obama/ Hagel

July 17, 2008 04:20 pm at 4:20 pm |
  20. brew-ha-ha

It would be funny to see the NewYorker put McCain (Bush-Lite) on the cover with his wife Cindy running a beer brewery from the Whitehouse kitchen.

July 17, 2008 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  21. Devon Spencer

That might be the only state he won't get heckled in as much lol

Obama '08

July 17, 2008 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  22. Brian

Here's one of many Nebraskans voting for Obama.

Go Obama! Go Scott Kleeb for Senate! Go Jim Esch for Congress!

July 17, 2008 04:37 pm at 4:37 pm |
  23. JT Johnson

Not to worry, Nebraska is much too smart to fall for BO. They don't like the smell of that...

July 17, 2008 04:40 pm at 4:40 pm |
  24. BJ

I live in Nebraska. There is a great chance that Nebraska will be won by McCain. Lets paint a picture, Larry the Cable guy pretty much represents the whole state except Omaha..and even in Omaha, people(90%) are so backwards, dumb and slow here that it would only make sense that McCain would win.

OBAMA "2008-2016"

July 17, 2008 04:52 pm at 4:52 pm |
  25. Hope

Any fool can start a war.
    A good commander in cheif will not start a war except when absolutely necessary.
    Obama will be a good CIC. McSame helped start Iraq war and this has resulted in more than 4100 deaths and hundred of billions $ lost..

I support Obama mainly for his right judgement when he opposed this war

July 17, 2008 04:53 pm at 4:53 pm |