July 18th, 2008

McCain supporter Gramm steps down after 'whiners' comment

Former Sen. Phil Gramm looks on as Sen. McCain speaks at a campaign event in this file photo.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Former Republican Sen. Phil Gramm said Friday he is stepping down as co-chairman of Sen. John McCain's presidential campaign after comments in which he called Americans "a nation of whiners."

Full story

Filed under: John McCain • Phil Gramm
  1. Republican No More

As a lifelong Republican, I am fed up with the comments and the lack of action by the party. It pains me to say this, but I will be voting for the Democratic party in this upcoming general election.

I do not trust that McCain will make the drastic changes that are necessary to keep the U.S. the superpower that it is. We need to change our international image and we need to get our troops out of Iraq, invest in alternative forms of energy, eliminate our dependency on foreign oil, repair the healthcare system, get the lobbyists and special interest groups out of the White House, and repair the housing market by punishing predatory lenders.

I do not think that Obama can fix all of this, but I KNOW that McCain will not.

Obama '08

July 19, 2008 12:09 am at 12:09 am |
  2. Steve

What's funny is the reaction to Gramm's comments just proved them right

July 19, 2008 12:20 am at 12:20 am |
  3. Christie of PhIlly

It doesn't matter if Gramm steps down or not, He called America, us, this country, a nation of whiners and to add insult to injury, pretty much said we're all crazy for thinking we're in a recession. He represents McCrain and has McCain's hear, and the fact of the matter is he speaks for McCain! As far as I'm concerned, because Gramm is lock-step with McCain, the comment about us being a nation of whiners, came out of McCain's mouth. McCain cannot be allowed to get away with a fake apology every time one of his surrogates verbalizes something stupid, that we all lknow McCain embraces and feels the same way about. McCain called us a nation of whiners because Gramm speaks for McCain.

Oh, and by the way, Gramm is stepping down out of public view to work behind the scenes to try to derail Obama's campiagn. Won't happen "Gramps" and Grandpa"!

July 19, 2008 12:27 am at 12:27 am |
  4. Jody Monroe

So Gramm's whining about all the whiners.... By definition, a "whiner" is a person who complains without presenting a solution. So I guess that makes Gramm a whiner also!!!

July 19, 2008 12:28 am at 12:28 am |
  5. RJ, CA

Proud Papua New Guinean Obama Biggest Fan;
    ---------
    Who actually cares what you say? Are you registered to vote in the U.S.? Vote in Papua New Guinea for Obama if you want! And then shut up!

Geeze! All these non-U.S. people with their 2 cents thown in!

And now we have Obama going to Europe! Just another Brad/Angelina event to them, believe it! Europeans will take it in, but they've been through some REAL stuff and will give Obama some lip service and nothing else. And, still, they don't vote for our president! So it's all a moot point.

And regardless of how Obamabots try to portray it - America still leads the free world - and the Europeans as a whole understand and suport that. I know! I'm a naturalized American European immigrant.

July 19, 2008 12:31 am at 12:31 am |
  6. Xavier

Thats how many people in the McCain that have dropped out for being stupid? If you judge a potential presidential candidate by the campaign that they run, then McCain is a mess.

July 19, 2008 12:38 am at 12:38 am |
  7. andy

Talking about bad apples. First oabma and his racist minister. Then another racist minister. Sits there 20 years, said he didn't see it. Talk about stupity or just palin liar. I'll bet on stupity. God, think, Pelosi , Dean. Obama.... living proof the world is going to hell one liar at a time.. I knoe CNN won't show this because it;s not Obama loves us all and his BS message of change.

July 19, 2008 12:48 am at 12:48 am |
  8. scotty

Thats proubly a good thing I was just wondering If we can all call McCaine names like McSenile and the old goat things like that and its ok to bash his age all the time (and sometimes his looks just like the Obama camp did to hillary with the gender thing is it OK to to call him Oblackie, Boy, the ink spot ect I know CNN wont print this but its more of a question. Why can you bash age and Gender but not heritage?

July 19, 2008 12:50 am at 12:50 am |
  9. Piss Off

He is gone, are U kidding me, Oh no I'm going to go and lay in the bed and just whin my self to sleep, or maybe I need to talk to Dr. Phil because it might be all in my HEAD!!!!!

July 19, 2008 12:56 am at 12:56 am |