July 18th, 2008

McCain supporter Gramm steps down after 'whiners' comment

Former Sen. Phil Gramm looks on as Sen. McCain speaks at a campaign event in this file photo.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Former Republican Sen. Phil Gramm said Friday he is stepping down as co-chairman of Sen. John McCain's presidential campaign after comments in which he called Americans "a nation of whiners."

Full story

Filed under: John McCain • Phil Gramm
  1. Tough Love

The "whinners" comment is one reason but McCain camp is not telling the whole truth. Why now? Why wasn't this decision made when Graham first made the comments? I wonder if UBS had anything to do with this decision? I smell a RAT.. A BIG RAT!!!!

July 18, 2008 08:03 pm at 8:03 pm |
  2. Cynthia

Gramm Gate too late.

July 18, 2008 08:04 pm at 8:04 pm |
  3. Paul C. Palmetto Bay, FL

Phil Gramm reminds me of Marie Antoinette ... stop whining and eat your cake.
    We pay these genius' as if they were working for our benefit.
    Take away his extensive perks and give him the salary of a sales clerk and watch him whine. Why we treat our Public Servants as royalty is something I cannot understand.

July 18, 2008 08:04 pm at 8:04 pm |
  4. Lana

All is well. Keith Olbermann has it.

BTW. Has McCain's left cheek always looked swollen or is this something new?

July 18, 2008 08:05 pm at 8:05 pm |
  5. S. Boatman

HA HA HA . . . One More Ran Over By The Crooked Talk Express Bus! . . . HA HA HA!

July 18, 2008 08:06 pm at 8:06 pm |
  6. Frank, MO

So first he is still in, then he is out but not quite out, then today he is back in and half day later he is out ..... ok, John ... as long as you know what you want, I guess it's fine.

July 18, 2008 08:07 pm at 8:07 pm |
  7. dormar206

Glad he is gone. JM left his first sick wife to be with this young wife

July 18, 2008 08:09 pm at 8:09 pm |
  8. A Nightingale Sings in Berkley Square

I am surprised it took this long. I think McCain should get Romney or a guy from Harvard and one from Yale to advise him.

However I have a friend of a friend that seems to be doing ok/ Maybe he could advise him. Anyone would be better than Bush/Obama the twins.

Le Chat qui fume

July 18, 2008 08:10 pm at 8:10 pm |
  9. Fredrick-London

No wonder!!!!
    Only he want to prove that's tough guy! (as he claims to be a better Command-in-chief!!!!!!!!!!!!!

July 18, 2008 08:11 pm at 8:11 pm |
  10. S. Boatman

All The Tires On The Crooked Talk Express Are Going Flat! I Hope This Gets Some Real Press Time But It Probably Wont Since Its Late In The News Cycle!

July 18, 2008 08:11 pm at 8:11 pm |
  11. Dan S

Typical Republican arrogance. They've grown a little to aristocratic for my taste, I think it's time for the peasants to have a little revolt this November.

Good riddance to Phil Gramm, but you have to wonder about McCain's judgement to give such an arrogant and snide man such a pivotal role in his campaign in the first place.

July 18, 2008 08:13 pm at 8:13 pm |
  12. JIM...TX

Lisa..there you go again. Another post with a new subject and you're slamming Obama again. Sure gets old seeing your trash talk on all of these. Don't you have some cookies to bake or a check to write to Hillary????

July 18, 2008 08:13 pm at 8:13 pm |
  13. JWheeler

Good! What an arrogant jerk! Who was that queen who said of the starving French, "Let them eat cake"? She got her head cut off. Those were the good old days.

July 18, 2008 08:14 pm at 8:14 pm |
  14. S. Boatman

If You Cant Run Your Campaign You Cant Run The Country Mccain! After Seeing The Two Heads In This Picture I Suddenly Have A Craving To Eat A Couple Of Eggs!

July 18, 2008 08:15 pm at 8:15 pm |
  15. My Dog Ate The Nightengale That Used To Sing on Berkeley Square

Poor old grandpapa McCain-who will help him call out the bingo numbers tonight?

July 18, 2008 08:16 pm at 8:16 pm |
  16. Joe Reed

This nation of whiners will make sure John McSame does not get elected.

Barack the Vote!

July 18, 2008 08:19 pm at 8:19 pm |
  17. Obamacan

This group of guys are not republicans they are wanna be Reagans. Dont keep them in power any longer lets try something new.

Obama 08

July 18, 2008 08:20 pm at 8:20 pm |
  18. NC Voter

California Independent:

No, McCain didn't do any of those things, but he did call his wife a C***, call Chelsea Clinton (then a teenager) an ugly girl, and cheat on his wife for a barbie doll wannabe that ended up stealing drugs from her own charity. Oh, and by the way, Michelle Obama never called the american people sloths or cynics, but I will say that your entire post is kind of mean. Hopefully, you are not representative of all Californians. You really need to come up with better reasons to be against Obama because you haven't said anything that is either true or couldn't be matched with McCain's many, many ugly traits.

July 18, 2008 08:20 pm at 8:20 pm |
  19. MM

McCain's group of angry old men are just getting a little too unbelievable. One wonders how they really talk in private!????

July 18, 2008 08:21 pm at 8:21 pm |
  20. Jeffrey G. Brown

See Ya Phil! Don't let the door hit you on the way out...at least you still have a door, us whiners don't!

July 18, 2008 08:21 pm at 8:21 pm |
  21. Disgusted Utahn

Good riddance.

July 18, 2008 08:22 pm at 8:22 pm |
  22. David

Its disappointing politicians from the Republican party get shot down for frank talk and being honest about what is really going on. Most Americans has long since quit being responsible for their daily lives, success and turned over all their 'problems' to the government to solve. It's time to end the entitlement attitude and evoke the I can attitude and turn big brother back into little brother, but I fear that will never happen now. Too many free lunches have ruined us.

I will miss you Phil Gramm.

July 18, 2008 08:22 pm at 8:22 pm |
  23. Montana is Obama Country

I am whinning because I WANT TO KNOW where is John M's FLAG PIN...???

Our Nation of Whiners want to know why John M does NOT wear a FLAG PIN...

Patriotic...???

July 18, 2008 08:24 pm at 8:24 pm |
  24. Sandra in SC

McCain and Bush have left me very bitter over the past 8 years. I'm ready for change as soon as possible.

July 18, 2008 08:25 pm at 8:25 pm |
  25. Joe From NY

And the hits just keep on coming! Now he can whine himself into irrelevancy!!!!

July 18, 2008 08:25 pm at 8:25 pm |