July 18th, 2008

No Obama-Gore ticket

Gore has ruled out being Obama's running mate.

Gore has ruled out being Obama's running mate.

(CNN) - Eight years in the No. 2 spot is enough for Al Gore.

The former vice president, who issued a challenge to the next President of the United States on Thursday to make the country's electricity output carbon-free in 10 years, said later that he will not under any circumstances serve as Barack Obama's running mate.

Unlike the office of the presidency, there are no imposed term-limits on the second highest office in the land. But Gore, who considerably expanded the role of vice president, said he's imposing his own term limits on the job.

“I have a personal term limit,” he told CBS News Thursday. “Only two terms as VP.”

Asked by interviewer Katie Couric whether he might reconsider if the Democratic presidential candidate "begged," Gore said his answer would remain no.

Buzz swirled around a possible Obama-Gore ticket last month after the former vice president - who remains a very popular figure in the Democratic Party - gave an enthusiastic endorsement of the Illinois senator after months on sidelines during the prolonged Democratic primary.

Obama said then he doubted Gore would be willing to serve as VP again.

“Obviously Al Gore is a great public servant, he was a great vice president," he said. He may not want to be vice president again, since he's already done that for eight years, but certainly he's somebody that I'll be getting advice from as we go forward and hopefully he'll help me when I'm president."

Gore said in December that he might jump back into the political fray – but only in a bid for the top spot. A third term as vice president would mean Gore had spent more time in the office than anyone in U.S. history.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. Jeffrey

Barack Obama needs a vice president who wants to be vice president. By that estimation Gore, Clinton, and Edwards would all be out. I would be perfectly happy seeing someone else entirely as the VP, with the above holding some sort of important cabinet position. This would be an all-star team that could truly help America move away from the dark decades-long reign of the Bush dynasty.

July 18, 2008 09:52 am at 9:52 am |
  2. Patrick Henry's ghost, Ft. Myers

I believe Gore will continue to be a private sector newsmaker with public policy clout in order to champion for the environment and promoting environmental policy in the U.S. and around the world.

Once he's an international institution (which he nearly is already)–he'll be the next Democratic presidential nominee as a world icon and sage politician (unless another fireball like Obama sprouts up). This will help the Democrats retain the White House for perhaps 16 years–what a gas!!!

Another powerful reason to consider the Libertarian Party. Change–by any party in power that does not first ensure our freedoms, liberty, and offer some common sense on taxation and government power–is not the kind of change we need.

July 18, 2008 09:53 am at 9:53 am |
  3. Peace (SF)

Obama's as phony as a 4 dollar bill!

July 18, 2008 09:53 am at 9:53 am |
  4. ron in CT

Mr Gore deserved (and still deserves) the presidency. Why is america so afraid of intelligence and decency?

July 18, 2008 09:53 am at 9:53 am |
  5. NormK

Let me try to answer Mike's question of: "I don't see why Gore wouldn't join a ship of fools?" It's simple and straight forward: Being intelligent, Gore would never go to the Republican Party and join the fools.

July 18, 2008 09:54 am at 9:54 am |
  6. Ed W

This is the Energy election. Nothing else is as important.

July 18, 2008 09:55 am at 9:55 am |
  7. Michigan Born & Educated

Hopefully, someone will choose soon to join the ship of fools. No one particularly outstanding seems to want the position. Of course, it might be because they are all way more qualified than Mr. Obama himself.

July 18, 2008 09:56 am at 9:56 am |
  8. Michael Turner

This does not come as much of a suprise. The biggest suprise to me was when Gore did not run for President this year....pretty sure that would have been a landslide victory. I am also not sure if a continued list of people saying "No Way" is going to be good for Obama. Right now he has a lead and when you are ahead in the 4th quarter, you can either rest your starters or leave them in and run up the score thereby not giving you opponet a chance to comeback. Obama should pick Hillary now and watch the polls go double digit in his favor and shut the door on McCain. If he does not, he is going to find his lead gets smaller and smaller and then experience will show its true colors.

I am a Hillary supporter, but have not yet decided how I will vote in November.....trust me though getting on a plane to run around in the desert and claim you care about Foreign Relations and would be the best Commander in Chief does not impress me. It would have been more impressive if you had done it prior to being manipulated into it by the press and McCain.

If you are chane I can believe in, then why are you already jumping at what the media pushes you into to score points in politics?

July 18, 2008 09:56 am at 9:56 am |
  9. Brian

Nobama. That's clever. Almost as clever as John McCan't. Great job Guys!

July 18, 2008 09:56 am at 9:56 am |
  10. INDEPENDENT NOW

I DONT BLAME GORE. WHAT PUZZLES ME IS NO ONE WANTS THE VP SPOT? EVERYONE ASKED HAVE ALL SAID THEY DONT WANT TO BE ASKED. THEY DONT WANT THE POSITION. EVEN BIDEN SAID HE DIDNT WANT IT. BUT WOULD DO WHATEVER THE CANDIDATE ASKED. PUZZLING!

July 18, 2008 09:56 am at 9:56 am |
  11. Becky

People against Obama I'm sure will say, "Nobody wants to be on a loser ticket." blah blah

Gore is great and should've been president 2000-2004. Our country would be better off right now, that's for sure! Next president will have a big duty of cleaning up the Bush administration's mess. McCain would just be adding fuel to the fire if he was president. No thanks!

July 18, 2008 09:57 am at 9:57 am |
  12. Mitchsn

Why would Gore want to be VP? Hes making 100s of millions on his Global Warming crusade.

July 18, 2008 09:57 am at 9:57 am |
  13. A Nightingale Sings in Berkley Square

William, from Cali!,
    I didn't know it was your job to make those appointments, congrats.

July 18, 2008 09:57 am at 9:57 am |
  14. VON BISMARK, Vienna

Principled people like Gore,unlike mcWARWITHOUTEND,will understand that one may seek a job all his life but the job may not seek him.My advice is simple:

mcSHAME needs a standby team of highly qualified psychiatrists and cardiologists in case he loses in Nov.

REALLY!

July 18, 2008 09:57 am at 9:57 am |
  15. Woz - Los Gatos, CA

I'm hoping that Obama picks Bill Clinton as his Veep!

July 18, 2008 09:58 am at 9:58 am |
  16. Denise Groves

This is no surprise. We already knew this

July 18, 2008 09:58 am at 9:58 am |
  17. John - Houston

ron in CT July 18th, 2008 9:53 am ET

*************************************************************************

Well intelligence or decency is up for debate...

remember how he didn't want Clinton campaigning for him during the 2000 election, if Clinton was that great of a president (check his approval ratings though, he did hit the 30 – 40 % mark) then why didn't he let him, I mean he did bring Gore into the arena.

July 18, 2008 10:00 am at 10:00 am |
  18. Kingslough NY.

Its a new era, let the old guards sit back and watch the freshness and vigor of a younger lot

July 18, 2008 10:02 am at 10:02 am |
  19. Foreign observer

VP is only a powerful position when the president needs to have a scapegoat to cover own sins. A strong president does not need a brilliant VP. This is what Gore knows quite well.

July 18, 2008 10:03 am at 10:03 am |
  20. YES WE CAN!

Dang it! I loved the thought of Obama and Gore- that is UNSTOPPABLE!

July 18, 2008 10:04 am at 10:04 am |
  21. JoanG

Why couldn't Gore convinve Clinton to make America carbon free while he was in office? Everything seems easy when you can't do anything about it.

July 18, 2008 10:05 am at 10:05 am |
  22. franco

Hey!
    I am still available........I am a demagogue, I love flip-flops, and nobody knows where I really stand.........

July 18, 2008 10:05 am at 10:05 am |
  23. James From Chicago

UMMMM...I wonder why everyone is declining to be Obama's VP.

They probably don't want to go down with a sinkins ship.

If Asked Hillary will decline too.

July 18, 2008 10:05 am at 10:05 am |
  24. Ricky - Hispanic/Educated and voting for Obama

Gore is an excellent man but you can understand why he wouldnt want to be VP. Its President or possibly a cabinet position. I think Gore is more interested in environmental issues right now however.

I think it'll be an Obama/Biden ticket.

July 18, 2008 10:05 am at 10:05 am |
  25. TESAP

I THINK WHAT WE ARE SEEING HERE IS EVERYONE SAYING THEY DON'T WANT THE VP SPOT SO IF THEY ARE NOT ASKED IT WON'T BE DISSAPPOINTING.

July 18, 2008 10:06 am at 10:06 am |