July 18th, 2008

No Obama-Gore ticket

Gore has ruled out being Obama's running mate.

Gore has ruled out being Obama's running mate.

(CNN) - Eight years in the No. 2 spot is enough for Al Gore.

The former vice president, who issued a challenge to the next President of the United States on Thursday to make the country's electricity output carbon-free in 10 years, said later that he will not under any circumstances serve as Barack Obama's running mate.

Unlike the office of the presidency, there are no imposed term-limits on the second highest office in the land. But Gore, who considerably expanded the role of vice president, said he's imposing his own term limits on the job.

“I have a personal term limit,” he told CBS News Thursday. “Only two terms as VP.”

Asked by interviewer Katie Couric whether he might reconsider if the Democratic presidential candidate "begged," Gore said his answer would remain no.

Buzz swirled around a possible Obama-Gore ticket last month after the former vice president - who remains a very popular figure in the Democratic Party - gave an enthusiastic endorsement of the Illinois senator after months on sidelines during the prolonged Democratic primary.

Obama said then he doubted Gore would be willing to serve as VP again.

“Obviously Al Gore is a great public servant, he was a great vice president," he said. He may not want to be vice president again, since he's already done that for eight years, but certainly he's somebody that I'll be getting advice from as we go forward and hopefully he'll help me when I'm president."

Gore said in December that he might jump back into the political fray – but only in a bid for the top spot. A third term as vice president would mean Gore had spent more time in the office than anyone in U.S. history.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. karen-phoenix

I will love anyone Obama picks!!! AND so will America!!! We need a change soooo badley!!!! I DO NOT WANT anymore OLD EXPERIENCE in Washington. Lets try something new and just might work. Obama, Gore and T. Boone Pickens for energy CZAR!!! Great group to turn our problems around. My retirement fund just went down another $2,000 under Bush! Hows all of yours doing?

July 18, 2008 11:24 am at 11:24 am |
  2. P.U.M.A - true democrat for fair camPAINs

Obama forced his way to where he now is- without any merits, any track history of accomplishments and without any qualifications.

Now he must persuade the party that he deserves the nomination that he strong-armed, cheated, threatened, bullied and played the race card to attain.

The celebrity bandwagon, fueled by the media pushed Obama to where he is. The super delegates then carried him across the finish line- under threats by African Americans to black out the vote, and the newbies to stay home.

Guess what? White people, older women, blue collar workers- the CORE base of the democratic party- can stay home or vote for another candidate JUST as easily.

So in the future... stop with those strategies just to install your nominee.

I will never vote for the one who stole the nomination from the true winner.

July 18, 2008 11:25 am at 11:25 am |
  3. H-ROD

Gore needs to get it right , the Earth does not need saving, people need saving the earth will be just find it has been around for 4 billion year people only wwish they could be around that long ,,, so were not saving the earth were saving our own butts let get it right!!! (yes Obama can)

July 18, 2008 11:25 am at 11:25 am |
  4. ARB

i guess al gore isn't as stupid as i thought he was. way to go gore!!!!

July 18, 2008 11:26 am at 11:26 am |
  5. RKR

CNN, are you making up News?

July 18, 2008 11:31 am at 11:31 am |
  6. Carlie

Wow, is Katie Couric a "real" journalist? I'm surprised by her skills, or lack thereof.

July 18, 2008 11:31 am at 11:31 am |
  7. kmiller

Gore has been DONE for awhile.... he has a job off to the sideline..... he should take hillary with him... have a valium.. cry in the beer,,,,,,, but stay away..... far away.....

July 18, 2008 11:31 am at 11:31 am |
  8. D. King

If Hillary is not his vp or the nominee of the Dems then I'm going to pout and not eat my veggies and you can't make me.

July 18, 2008 11:31 am at 11:31 am |
  9. Stephen H

To: anonymous July 18th, 2008 9:31 am ET

Where are you getting this information and why are you the only who has it? Please educate me on this because I would like to verify your allegations. If your allegations are purely speculation or conjecture, then I think fellow bloggers here would agree with me that you should cease using this kind of information that attempts to persuade by misleading. I await your answer.

July 18, 2008 11:32 am at 11:32 am |
  10. Angry Democrat

If he picks anyone other than Clinton as VP he will lose my vote. Not only that, I will vote for McCain.

July 18, 2008 11:33 am at 11:33 am |
  11. Frank

Al Gore has lost all credibility! He is a glutten who wants to preach...do as I say...not as I do! He is in this global warming thing for money and I have to hand it to him...there's a sucker born every minute.

July 18, 2008 11:33 am at 11:33 am |
  12. Wayne Falda

To the exquisitely clever "Nobama" Haters and "Gore the Bore" intelligensia: It is obvious you voted for George W. Bush not once, but twice. Do you really, honestly, think the rest of us value your opinion – not just on politics, but anything? Barack will carefully chose his running mate and after he wins in November he will attempt to shore up a thoroughly demoralized country left in tatters by the man you chose – you chose – to lead the country. Many thanks to you from Osama bin Laden.

July 18, 2008 11:34 am at 11:34 am |
  13. Ange

Obama should take his wife as VP- No own will be better than her or we don't have any own among democratics

July 18, 2008 11:34 am at 11:34 am |
  14. Jackie from Minneapolis

I am so sick of reading all the hate filled blogs. Some of you people just aren't American at ALL. If you don't like Obama's beliefs and positions on politics that's one thing, but you people talk about him with such hatred. You have to wonder if it's nothing more than just racism. How can you possibly hate someone you don't know? You can not his stance, but to hate is pure evil. Whether you like him or not – he isn't an idiot, or evil, or a loser or any of the things some of you suggest. He is a very successful smart human being. He is a successful lawyer who ran a successful law firm and he wrote for the Harvard Law reveiew. There nothing stupid about him. I am so sick of the HRC supporters and the Republicians. Do you really think you are better than everyone else on here? Well, you're not any better and some ways you're worse, because all you do is spread hatred. You aren't contributing anything to this world – nothing. This should be about policies and what we need to make this country better – nothing more.

July 18, 2008 11:34 am at 11:34 am |
  15. Dave, Illinois

Too bad. Two windbag fools on the same ticket would be funny to watch. Obama will claim he won the war on terror and Gore will claim he invented the Internet.

July 18, 2008 11:35 am at 11:35 am |
  16. kcmookie

Pick HILLARY or I vote McCain. BOOHOOOHOOOHOO....WAAAAHHHHHHH....Demand, demand demand. You and the rest of PUMA, go and put your friggin collective clownsuit on and stick a pacifier in your piehole, I am so sick of hearing it. If you are so idiotic that you would vote for someone completely opposite of YOUR candidates stance out of spite, then we deserve what we get. Just do it, if we are that stupid as a Nation, the do it, but please shut your piehole.

July 18, 2008 11:35 am at 11:35 am |
  17. Mike

Good. Gore ia a one trick pony. All he knows is alternative energy and he pushes that because he has invested millions of dollars in it. He is only a little better than the Big Oil Barrons who run McBush.

July 18, 2008 11:40 am at 11:40 am |
  18. TPas

i don't think that even Obama want him for VP!

July 18, 2008 11:40 am at 11:40 am |
  19. jonny

I am sad. Obama/Gore would have been an amazing team!!

July 18, 2008 11:41 am at 11:41 am |
  20. Michael "C" Lorton, Virginia

I guess Al Gore is going to have to save the planet on his own.....thank God. If Al Gore thought he would be offered the VP slot, I think he is suffering from too much "greenhouse gas effect."

July 18, 2008 11:42 am at 11:42 am |
  21. Glendower

So Gore "narrowly lost in 2000 (not really though)," you say? Not according to my 8th-grade civics course, circa 1959.

July 18, 2008 11:42 am at 11:42 am |
  22. Gimme A Break

All of this is smoke and mirrors. All of the "potential" VP's deny the position so when Hillary is asked it seems as if she is the only choice so its not obvious that the Obama campaign was desperate for her non-racist supporters.

July 18, 2008 11:44 am at 11:44 am |
  23. Chris

Gore is a charlatan and as such the less he makes himself available for scrutiny the more people will follow his Cult of Global Warming.

July 18, 2008 11:47 am at 11:47 am |
  24. Love My USA

"TYPICAL WHITE PERSON", IF THIS IS WHAT YOU ALL WANT TO BE KNOW AS, THEN CAST YOUR VOTE FOR BO,. "THE FIRST TIME I AM PROUD OF THIS COUNTRY", AGAIN YOU ALL KNOW WHERE THIS CAME FROM. THEN I SAD VOTE FOR BO, AND GOD HAVE MERCY ON THE USA.

July 18, 2008 11:52 am at 11:52 am |
  25. Alice in Florida

ROFLMAO! Obama's shortlist is getting shorter

NOBODY wants to be hooked up with that loser!

PUMA PAC