July 20th, 2008

McCain: From Double A to Yankee Stadium

John McCain, standing by Oakland Athletics' manager Bob Geren, takes a break from the trail for baseball.

NEW YORK (CNN) – Standing at home plate in the House that Ruth Built, John McCain put running for president in perspective: “It is like being in Double A and then all of a sudden you’re in Yankee Stadium.”

McCain attended Sunday’s Yankees-A’s game with former New York Mayor Rudy Giuliani. Before the game, the two went down on the field signing autographs posing for pictures and chatting with New York manager Joe Girardi and Oakland skipper Bob Geren.

The GOP presidential candidate wore his blue Navy hat, while Giuliani sported the traditional Yankee NY cap. They talked sports with the managers, with McCain telling them, “I really am a big sports nut because I was a mediocre high school athlete.”

Before settling in to watch the game, they toured the legendary Monument Park in left center field, with tributes to the greatest Yankee players.

McCain, an Arizona Diamondbacks fan, talked of watching his team in the 2001 World Series against Yankees with Giuliani, just a month after the 9-11 attacks. He often tells the story on the trail of being moved by the cheers Giuliani received from fans.

He told the YES Network as he sat in the Yankees dugout “it was an emotional time," saying, “I’ll never forget it as long as I live. Such an incredible time in our history.”

Giuliani told reporters before the game, “we have great memories, and very, very difficult memories of that period of time... Then I went out to Arizona with him for two games, and it was a very emotional World Series, that particular one. He's a good friend. We've also been to the Fiesta Bowl together, and I've gone to sporting events with John throughout the years. So, it's a little different now that he's a presidential candidate, but it's the same John McCain."

Asked whether runs for vice president or New York Governor might be in his future, Giuliani said, "I'm not thinking about any of those things. I'm thinking just about – I know you are! You have a right to think about it. And I have a right not to think about it because we've got an election right now to think about and get it done right."

McCain flew to Portland, Maine after the game where he has campaign events Monday.

Filed under: John McCain • Rudy Giuliani
  1. cheryl (RETIRED VETS FOR OBAMA)

Who cares? Not I said the VET

July 20, 2008 04:40 pm at 4:40 pm |
  2. Ian MacIsaac

Giuliani is disgusting and corrupt.

July 20, 2008 04:52 pm at 4:52 pm |
  3. Ula Nejad- Sacramento Ca

Guliani for Secretary of State.

July 20, 2008 04:58 pm at 4:58 pm |
  4. Vig

One reason we want Hillary, among many, many, others,is so that we don't have to be bombarded with all these sport-shorts – Obama and his dribbling (in more ways then one) and now McCain taking the field (I thought he already did that). Spare us all these male-dominated and female excluded sport-shorts.

July 20, 2008 04:59 pm at 4:59 pm |
  5. John Anthony Castro

The economy is going to down the toilet, Iraq is falling apart, Afghanistan hostility is increasing, gas prices are breaking records, people are loosing their homes left & right, and instead of presenting a plan to the county, IT'S TIME FOR BASEBALL EVERYONE. YEAH, LET'S HAVE SOME FUN. WHOOOHOOO!

July 20, 2008 05:00 pm at 5:00 pm |
  6. Lee from FL

BORING!!!!

give me something that i want to hear.
    like "McCain secretly went to iraq to counter Obama by taking a walk in Fallujah and rounding up all the insurgents and declare mission accomplished"

July 20, 2008 05:06 pm at 5:06 pm |
  7. Farrell, Houston, Tx

Oh boy, how low or how stupid can McCain get, bringing up 9/11 as a fear tactic which cost his buddy Guiliani dearly along with a lot other things. But again McCain and Guiliani are cut out of the same cloth, moral cloth that is.

July 20, 2008 05:07 pm at 5:07 pm |
  8. Phil, FL

Oh goodie – just what's needed – two womanizers in nyc at the same time.

When I lived in NYC no one loved him, no one even liked him. Once he got elected he went from nice to mafia style control of all aspects of city government – and fear – hey, fear-mongering works in states and cities too.

July 20, 2008 05:09 pm at 5:09 pm |
  9. Griff

He Aim's, he shoots, and he scores.... Shure Shot McCain..

July 20, 2008 05:10 pm at 5:10 pm |
  10. Dick/NH

That's right, John....and you're on your way back to SINGLE A tomorrow ....enjoy the bus trip!!!!

July 20, 2008 05:15 pm at 5:15 pm |
  11. Griff

I prefer the Met's myself, John... But it is still, a double play. You and Mr Giuliani working together...

July 20, 2008 05:19 pm at 5:19 pm |
  12. bill for barack

So the mediocre small-time politician who was a mediocre pilot was also a mediocre high school athlete. Something to be said for consistency, I suppose.

July 20, 2008 05:24 pm at 5:24 pm |
  13. probama in paradise

Does that mean he worked this weekend? Way to go, Old man! Not quite the same as visiting the middle east but campaigning during a baseball game shows incredible commitment on the part of this elderly candidate!

What ever happened with Cindy's trip to Rwanda? Didn't hear much about that did we...?

July 20, 2008 05:24 pm at 5:24 pm |
  14. Nancy h

Your ticker headlines are very telling today - lead with stories all about MCain and Guiliani - and when it comes to Obama's overseas trip your header is a critique. Come on CNN - act responsibly. Also it is pretty obvious that your comments editor is off for the weekend.

July 20, 2008 05:25 pm at 5:25 pm |
  15. Sallie

What a patriotic fellow!! Hand over heart even as he speaks to the Oakland's manager! Should that not be called "disrespectfull" to the flag? With such a huge smile – he is not pledging allegience nor is he singing the National Anthem. Too much!!!!!

July 20, 2008 05:27 pm at 5:27 pm |
  16. Susan

Loser of an old man. he has sold his soul to the devil!

July 20, 2008 05:28 pm at 5:28 pm |
  17. Remy

American sports are always a SETUP GAMES for money. Why do CNN waste the space on this kind of useless news?

July 20, 2008 05:29 pm at 5:29 pm |
  18. Franky

You know what? I don't know about you but I don't have a good feeling about Yankee stadium moving. I mean, why?? You just can't do that! That's like saying, "You know what? Why not move the White Housefrom Washington D.C?? Or why not move "The Kremlin" at Russia to another location??" I mean, I don't know guys. Is pretty crazy but I believe in the Yanks, I really do...

July 20, 2008 05:29 pm at 5:29 pm |
  19. Observer

Who cares what Giuliani thinks....This comes from a man whou spent his attire time going after crime boss and then when elected as Mayor didn't do well by the minority folks in New York that his popularity suffered. He only became popular after 911 which he thought would credit him to run for president. And how long did he stay in that race. So who cares what he thinks.

July 20, 2008 05:32 pm at 5:32 pm |
  20. Texas Trail Dog

what cnn you black balled me off you r list. because i speak negative about obama, right?

July 20, 2008 05:32 pm at 5:32 pm |
  21. K of TX

As far as I'm concerned, Giuliani and McCain can both retire from politics and watch baseball together while Pres. Obama leads our great country into a new period of prosperity and world admiration.

July 20, 2008 05:33 pm at 5:33 pm |
  22. Texas Trail Dog

I WE HAVE A DUPLICATE COMMENT WHY DO YOU NOT POST IT THEN. OR DON YOU ONLY POST THE POSITIVE COMMENTS PERTAINING TO OBAMA. THE COMMENTS I POSTED HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH HIM BUT YET YOU SAY IT IS DUPLICATE.

July 20, 2008 05:35 pm at 5:35 pm |
  23. Obama the vote

What is John Mcsame trying to prove?
    He doesn't even know how to use a computer!

CAN YOU BELIEVE THAT??? How stupid do you have to be? :-s

July 20, 2008 05:43 pm at 5:43 pm |
  24. TRUTHF1GHTER

my prez... needs too work 7 days a week Mcshame.....and stop with one sided coverage MCnn..report this guys faults.

July 20, 2008 05:43 pm at 5:43 pm |
  25. Pam, WI

Who cares about McSame......

No one!