July 20th, 2008

Rice mum on presidential pick

Rice says she has no interest in being vice president.
Rice says she has no interest in being vice president.

(CNN) - Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice said she knows who she’s voting for in the presidential election, but she’s keeping quiet about her pick.

“Have you decided who to vote for?” CNN’s Wolf Blitzer asked in an interview that aired Sunday on “Late Edition.”

“Wolf, uh, yes,” Rice said.

Asked if she wanted to share her decision, Rice simply responded, “No.”

In the wide-ranging interview, Rice praised Sen. Barack Obama’s campaign and said having him as the Democratic presidential nominee has been “great for our country.”

“I do think it says that we've come a long way,” she said when asked to respond to comments from her predecessor Colin Powell, who congratulated Obama for knocking down barriers for African Americans.

“It's interesting that it's from Colin Powell. He knocked down a few barriers of his own. He knocked down the barrier of Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff. He knocked down the barrier to the first black Secretary of State.

“Yes, I've knocked down a few too. It just shows that our country has been doing this for a while, and it's great that this last barrier, perhaps, has also come down.”

Rice also made clear that she has no desire to be vice president.

Rumors of a John McCain-Rice ticket were prevalent in April after Dan Senor, a leading Republican strategist, suggested that she was mounting a behind-the-scenes campaign to be McCain's No. 2

“I tell everybody who will listen … look, I’ve done my part, and I’ve got six months to sprint to the finish, and then I have other things that I want to do,” she said.

Following the end of her term, Rice said she wants to write a book about American foreign policy.

“There are issues that have come to concern me greatly - some that I was concerned about before I came here, like the state of education in the United States - which I think is at the root of our competitiveness. It's at the root of our confidence, and therefore it's at the root of our international leadership,” she said.

“I'll go back and work on issues like that and it will be time for somebody else to take the stage.”

1. Scott L

At the end of the day she knows that if she elects Obama that he will undo her 8 year legacy of work and point out all of her mistakes and flaws along the way. My magic 8 ball says "Vote McCain!"

July 20, 2008 07:12 pm at 7:12 pm |
  2. Travis (in the real world

It is so obvious she going to vote for Obama...

By the way, she knows she's working for an IDIOT

July 20, 2008 07:14 pm at 7:14 pm |
  3. Doris,Memphis,TN

Two of the most enlightening people in the Bush Administration
    have been Colin Powell and Condoleezza Rice. I feel that Condoleeza
    is ready to retire from politics. One other outstanding person during
    his two terms as been First Lady Laura Bush. That's it.

Obama/Biden 2008-2016

July 20, 2008 07:24 pm at 7:24 pm |
  4. Chut Pata

Colin Powell was a better presidential candidate for President than the Obama and would have been a president by now and broken many more barriers than Obama.

However he made the wrong decision of being in the Republican Party that used him like toilet paper and disposed him off like one.

Obama made the better choice of being the democratic party. In the end, it is all about making choices and Obama is good at it. I will vote him despite his lately right wing stances.

July 20, 2008 07:25 pm at 7:25 pm |
  5. max

the fact that she didn't openly endorse McCain in her response makes me think that she may be supporting Obama purely due to her desire to see an african-american in office. many traditionally conservative blacks seem to feel that way.

July 20, 2008 07:33 pm at 7:33 pm |
  6. Scott

Condi should show some guts and vote for the guy who will help undo many of the mistakes she contributed to. That would be Obama, Condi.

July 20, 2008 07:33 pm at 7:33 pm |
  7. John

Her saying "NO" was a mouthfull.

Obama 08

July 20, 2008 07:40 pm at 7:40 pm |
  8. OBAMA FOR THE UNITY

This is so clear, she is going to vote for Obama, even Laura Bush is going to vote for Obama.

July 20, 2008 07:41 pm at 7:41 pm |
  9. marianna

Rice has no desire to be VP? Just wait a minute.

Tha rumor has it that Obama might pick a republican for VP. Would she say no?

July 20, 2008 07:42 pm at 7:42 pm |
  10. Sue in MI

Ha! Like she'll vote for anyone who wants to turn the Bush policies around and actually save this country from itself! She's as big a liar as her bosses. Some interesting facts about her in Bugliosi's "The Prosecution of GWB for Murder." Read it!

July 20, 2008 07:43 pm at 7:43 pm |
  11. Bob

Thanx miss secratary. Now go retire!

July 20, 2008 07:45 pm at 7:45 pm |
  12. jrzshor

black folks for black folks. race doesn't matter. pride does.

July 20, 2008 07:46 pm at 7:46 pm |
  13. Erika, KS

Who cares what this war mongering friend of Mr. Bush thinks? She and the entire Bush administration should be in prison for murder. She's a Bush puppet. She ignore the document briefs Clinton left that clearly stated bin Laden was a threat. She's the one who said she didn't find that credible. I don't find anything that comes out of her mouth as credible.l

July 20, 2008 08:00 pm at 8:00 pm |
  14. TEXAN

Could it be that she is voting for Obama ?????? Nah...but why won't she say ? We will see !

July 20, 2008 08:03 pm at 8:03 pm |
  15. Ikem Umealo

Well done Ms. Rice. Go and write a book and America will buy, but don't join McCain although i know it would not bring any fresh idea to his campaign: i am not imagining his possible presidency.

July 20, 2008 08:05 pm at 8:05 pm |
  16. roger

I always think that Sec. Rice is tha best Vice President for John McCain, But since she has no desire to be vice President.she deserve to run for senate in California where she from.She could be a Good senator if she will run for that position.

July 20, 2008 08:07 pm at 8:07 pm |
  17. FIRE BREATHING LIBERAL SOCIALIST MINDED PATRIOT(& so proud of it)

Well if she's a Republican I can't believe she didn't say McCain, how strange. Is she going to tow the party line or not, we all know she's been the perfect little bushbot thus far....
    Could she still be afraid of alienating other blacks in the community some how either publicly or personally, although I don't see how that's possible at this stage in the game. You know this snake will pull the lever for McCain regardless. It's a sad state of affairs for this lost little girl.

July 20, 2008 08:14 pm at 8:14 pm |