July 20th, 2008

Rice mum on presidential pick

Rice says she has no interest in being vice president.
Rice says she has no interest in being vice president.

(CNN) - Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice said she knows who she’s voting for in the presidential election, but she’s keeping quiet about her pick.

“Have you decided who to vote for?” CNN’s Wolf Blitzer asked in an interview that aired Sunday on “Late Edition.”

“Wolf, uh, yes,” Rice said.

Asked if she wanted to share her decision, Rice simply responded, “No.”

In the wide-ranging interview, Rice praised Sen. Barack Obama’s campaign and said having him as the Democratic presidential nominee has been “great for our country.”

“I do think it says that we've come a long way,” she said when asked to respond to comments from her predecessor Colin Powell, who congratulated Obama for knocking down barriers for African Americans.

“It's interesting that it's from Colin Powell. He knocked down a few barriers of his own. He knocked down the barrier of Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff. He knocked down the barrier to the first black Secretary of State.

“Yes, I've knocked down a few too. It just shows that our country has been doing this for a while, and it's great that this last barrier, perhaps, has also come down.”

Rice also made clear that she has no desire to be vice president.

Rumors of a John McCain-Rice ticket were prevalent in April after Dan Senor, a leading Republican strategist, suggested that she was mounting a behind-the-scenes campaign to be McCain's No. 2

“I tell everybody who will listen … look, I’ve done my part, and I’ve got six months to sprint to the finish, and then I have other things that I want to do,” she said.

Following the end of her term, Rice said she wants to write a book about American foreign policy.

“There are issues that have come to concern me greatly - some that I was concerned about before I came here, like the state of education in the United States - which I think is at the root of our competitiveness. It's at the root of our confidence, and therefore it's at the root of our international leadership,” she said.

“I'll go back and work on issues like that and it will be time for somebody else to take the stage.”

1. Vig

She'll probably vote for Obama – aren't all Blacks voting for him.

July 20, 2008 02:12 pm at 2:12 pm |
  2. tigerakabj

She voted for Barack.

Obama/Sebelius 2008/2012.

July 20, 2008 02:12 pm at 2:12 pm |
  3. Obama-Junkie, IL

I saw this interview Blitzer did with Rice and some of his questions were downright intrusive and dumb. When Blitzer asked Rice who she is voting for in November, I thought what in the hell is this questioning about? Condi Rice is Secretary of State under GW Bush and so conservative political pundits suggested her as a possible running mate for McCain.

Then it dawned on me that Wolf was insinuating that Rice would vote for Obama simply because he is black, ill regardless of how her and his political views meshed together. Condi Rice would have been justified in asking Wolf who he was voting for in November?!

July 20, 2008 02:18 pm at 2:18 pm |
  4. So

I dont care who she votes for. She was horrible for our country and I hopes she and those she helped pay for all the pain they have cause the American people.

July 20, 2008 02:20 pm at 2:20 pm |
  5. go away mongers- Ventura ca

OMG! Is SHE a closet OBAMA voter too?

July 20, 2008 02:22 pm at 2:22 pm |
  6. Rocky Michigan

I find it refreshing that a political figure doesn't want to tell me who to vote for. I wish everyone of them followed this lead. I for one don't care what any of them think but I guess they think we are bunch of sheep.

July 20, 2008 02:29 pm at 2:29 pm |
  7. Gene

Of course she is keeping quiet because she doesn't want to say publicly that she is not voting for the obamination of the United States.

July 20, 2008 02:31 pm at 2:31 pm |
  8. Karen-phoenix

I think she is a little fed up with the Bush administration and I do believe she will help Obama once he's in the white house!!! She's a smart lady!

July 20, 2008 02:33 pm at 2:33 pm |
  9. Crush Rush

Rice should have left with Powell and saved her credibility.She wouldnt make dog catcher in my town now.

July 20, 2008 02:34 pm at 2:34 pm |
  10. Devon Spencer

She's obviously for McCain lol. She was dumb enough to be in the worst Republican administration in our history.

July 20, 2008 02:34 pm at 2:34 pm |
  11. what

She's jumping ship to vote for Obama. She's worked for Repugnance administrations in.....

Hey Dr., just spill it!!!!!!!!!!!!

July 20, 2008 02:36 pm at 2:36 pm |
  12. joe smith

just a pitch for the purity events around the nation; good for them, and good for the effort; had the Jewish nation practiced such God fearing agendas in the past, perhaps the present would be a great deal better..

July 20, 2008 02:38 pm at 2:38 pm |
  13. Shhh....you can't admit it....

She's voting for McCain....oops......

July 20, 2008 02:38 pm at 2:38 pm |
  14. bill pike

hi from the small town, white,vet,older,businessman who thinks if we would go by ability we would vote for Rice: but since she is not on the ticket LETS ALL VOTE FOR OBAMA and try to talk with our enemies like bush is trying now after 8 years of "wars and rumors of wars", to get out of Iraq and AN ILLEGAL WAR like bush and Iraq's PM agree with. IT IS TIME TO FOLLOW THE BIBLE AND TAKE CARE OF THE POOR..........

July 20, 2008 02:39 pm at 2:39 pm |
  15. A, T.

Great talk for a great personality!

July 20, 2008 02:39 pm at 2:39 pm |
  16. Blayze Kohime

Rice is one of the few people in the Bush administration that seems like they are fairly competent and not entirely evil. If only she had more to work with from her employer...

July 20, 2008 02:40 pm at 2:40 pm |
  17. Griff

With or without you Lady... The USA will become; the Zanzibar of 1964. But on account of your size, and Importance to the Blacks... It will be 1000 worse, if Obama get's control of Your Country....

July 20, 2008 02:40 pm at 2:40 pm |
  18. Dude

Is it a secret? It is gonna be the race based vote.

July 20, 2008 02:40 pm at 2:40 pm |
  19. Shotta Nic

Its ok Condy, you can say it...

Obama ;-)

July 20, 2008 02:41 pm at 2:41 pm |
  20. Lee from FL

She just need to spit it out and say Barack.
    i bet she wishes she was part of his administration instead of the train wreck that they call Bush!

July 20, 2008 02:41 pm at 2:41 pm |
  21. Phil, FL

Ha Ha Ha

Simple – A good republican like her should have said a resounding John McCain.

Her lack of an answer says she wants to keep her vote Secret , it is called a secret ballot. (Barack Hussein Obama – get used to the middle name, people).

Obama '08

July 20, 2008 02:42 pm at 2:42 pm |
  22. mmm

she will vote for her brother Barack Hussein Obama II

July 20, 2008 02:43 pm at 2:43 pm |
  23. Dave, Illinois

Where was all the hype when President Bush appointed two QUALIFIED individuals, who happen to be black, to the highest executive positions ever before? Oh, yeah, that only counts if they are "correct thinking" – by the standards of Sharpton, Jackson, and the like. The double standard is breathtaking.

July 20, 2008 02:47 pm at 2:47 pm |
  24. carrie hussein obama

she is a smart woman and i am proud of her.
    you can be tough without petty name calling and foolish jibes.
    she is a much better leader than hillary clinton.
    im proud america has such strong women

July 20, 2008 02:49 pm at 2:49 pm |
  25. Deli

If it's John McCain, then she will say it cuz it's her own party!

July 20, 2008 02:49 pm at 2:49 pm |