July 20th, 2008

Rice mum on presidential pick

Rice says she has no interest in being vice president.
Rice says she has no interest in being vice president.

(CNN) - Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice said she knows who she’s voting for in the presidential election, but she’s keeping quiet about her pick.

“Have you decided who to vote for?” CNN’s Wolf Blitzer asked in an interview that aired Sunday on “Late Edition.”

“Wolf, uh, yes,” Rice said.

Asked if she wanted to share her decision, Rice simply responded, “No.”

In the wide-ranging interview, Rice praised Sen. Barack Obama’s campaign and said having him as the Democratic presidential nominee has been “great for our country.”

“I do think it says that we've come a long way,” she said when asked to respond to comments from her predecessor Colin Powell, who congratulated Obama for knocking down barriers for African Americans.

“It's interesting that it's from Colin Powell. He knocked down a few barriers of his own. He knocked down the barrier of Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff. He knocked down the barrier to the first black Secretary of State.

“Yes, I've knocked down a few too. It just shows that our country has been doing this for a while, and it's great that this last barrier, perhaps, has also come down.”

Rice also made clear that she has no desire to be vice president.

Rumors of a John McCain-Rice ticket were prevalent in April after Dan Senor, a leading Republican strategist, suggested that she was mounting a behind-the-scenes campaign to be McCain's No. 2

“I tell everybody who will listen … look, I’ve done my part, and I’ve got six months to sprint to the finish, and then I have other things that I want to do,” she said.

Following the end of her term, Rice said she wants to write a book about American foreign policy.

“There are issues that have come to concern me greatly - some that I was concerned about before I came here, like the state of education in the United States - which I think is at the root of our competitiveness. It's at the root of our confidence, and therefore it's at the root of our international leadership,” she said.

“I'll go back and work on issues like that and it will be time for somebody else to take the stage.”

1. brian

She is soooo voting for Obama!

July 20, 2008 02:50 pm at 2:50 pm |
  2. Mo

As a Secratery of State for Republican Adminstration, she should not have to hesitant to say that I am voting for Republican candidate. But if she is not telling then she should have guts to say that I am voting for Barak Obama. She should know that many republicans are going to vote for Obama.

July 20, 2008 02:51 pm at 2:51 pm |
  3. Dan, TX

I think there really isn't much of a point in thinking about politics until after the conventions. There isn't anything really going on. The candidates' policies are very clear to anyone who actually wants to know what they are, but no one has time to bother with what either candidate stands for. Commenting on these blogs is for those who want to vent, but not for intelligent discussion.

That's been my observation for the past few months. I've wasted a lot of time making comments. However, it has been interesting to really see how much the news media ignore truth and fuel controversy to make a buck at the expense of having an informed electorate.

The media is responsible for the decline in American power and the economy, not the politicians. That's what I've learned so far.

July 20, 2008 02:52 pm at 2:52 pm |
  4. Frantz (Atlanta)

She is a secret Obamican.

July 20, 2008 02:53 pm at 2:53 pm |
  5. Kevin Hackshaw

Her reluctance to make her presidential pick public speaks volumes!

July 20, 2008 02:56 pm at 2:56 pm |
  6. bill for barack

Is there hope for Condi Rice /
    Is she an intelligent enough woman to realize that McSame represents four more years of the failed – and evil-hearted – policies of Bush/Cheney/Rove ?

July 20, 2008 02:56 pm at 2:56 pm |
  7. Joe Reg

She is sucked in too deep to vote Obama.

Obama 08 & 12.

July 20, 2008 02:58 pm at 2:58 pm |
  8. Armando

Amazing that most racial barriers in politics during the past few decades have been broken in Republican administrations.

July 20, 2008 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |
  9. ricardo williams

It is good that the USA acjnowledges that there are barriers. Barriers to opportunity to all individuals should be deemed as henous crimes against humanity. It is time we unite the world and give each individual a chance where chances are needed. It is unfortunate that the world is still viewed through the lense of labels, whether it is Black, White, Rich, Poor, or Christian, or Muslim. Until we level the playing field and realize our goal is to create a better world than we met it, there will always be barriers.

July 20, 2008 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |
  10. Stephen in Red Bluff

I'm happy to see Dr. Rice in a more human light. I've long viewed her as just another Bush mouthpiece, spewing administration policy and toeing the party line; finally, she is showing hints of personality and likability. It's nice to think that, maybe, she isn't just another Bush clone.

July 20, 2008 03:01 pm at 3:01 pm |
  11. Shotta Nic

C'mon Condy, you can say it...

Obama ;-)

July 20, 2008 03:04 pm at 3:04 pm |
  12. CanadianDemocrat

You are conservative, so naturally you should vote for McCain especially since he's an extention of your dear boss Dubya. Or maybe not.

July 20, 2008 03:04 pm at 3:04 pm |
  13. TheNumantine

Mum? Doesn't sound good for McCain. Party loyalty at that level is supposed to be a given.

July 20, 2008 03:06 pm at 3:06 pm |
  14. S. Boatman

I Know Who Is Not Going To Be A Vice President Pick. . . Hillary Clinton!

July 20, 2008 03:06 pm at 3:06 pm |
  15. bk

Is this a surprise????

July 20, 2008 03:09 pm at 3:09 pm |
  16. energy

Fair response...

Why would she? McCain naively criticizes Bush foreign policy endlessly as if that is only way he can win the presidency. Why then would he expect the support of Bush Secretary of State? That is why McCain doesn't seem to fair well with any constituency right now. He forgot that Bush, regardless of his current woes, remain a two term president with strong support from half of Republicans. I am not suggesting that McCain should sleep in White House, but should take it easy on on those bombs towards.

July 20, 2008 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  17. Wisconsin

What a stupid question. She has been pushing republican crap more then anyone.

July 20, 2008 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |
  18. TiredOfMcCainsFreeRide

just say it & get it off your chest......over half of the americans agree.Obama!

July 20, 2008 03:18 pm at 3:18 pm |
  19. Ted van Tol

I am sure she wil vote for Obama.
    It must have been terrible to work
    for so many years with a boss you
    know he is out of touch in evertything

July 20, 2008 03:23 pm at 3:23 pm |
  20. Larry Buchas

It's her pride showing. Barack is clearly the choice (even for Condi).

GObama!

July 20, 2008 03:23 pm at 3:23 pm |
  21. Monica for Obama in Indiana

Good interveiw. A interveiw we can all appreciate

July 20, 2008 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  22. maria

why won't you print my comments.?

July 20, 2008 03:25 pm at 3:25 pm |
  23. Willy

You get selected based on qualifications not by color so why is now do you play victim now. Well the republicans did appoint the first to blacks to higher offices unlike the democrats who only talk a good game.

July 20, 2008 03:25 pm at 3:25 pm |
  24. chude dublin

uuh?

July 20, 2008 03:26 pm at 3:26 pm |
  25. Brendan H., San Antonio, TX

This oman is against Affirmative Action; the same Affirmative Action that got her the Provost position at Stanford.

Window dressing and no substance!!!

July 20, 2008 03:27 pm at 3:27 pm |