July 20th, 2008

Rice mum on presidential pick

Rice says she has no interest in being vice president.
Rice says she has no interest in being vice president.

(CNN) - Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice said she knows who she’s voting for in the presidential election, but she’s keeping quiet about her pick.

“Have you decided who to vote for?” CNN’s Wolf Blitzer asked in an interview that aired Sunday on “Late Edition.”

“Wolf, uh, yes,” Rice said.

Asked if she wanted to share her decision, Rice simply responded, “No.”

In the wide-ranging interview, Rice praised Sen. Barack Obama’s campaign and said having him as the Democratic presidential nominee has been “great for our country.”

“I do think it says that we've come a long way,” she said when asked to respond to comments from her predecessor Colin Powell, who congratulated Obama for knocking down barriers for African Americans.

“It's interesting that it's from Colin Powell. He knocked down a few barriers of his own. He knocked down the barrier of Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff. He knocked down the barrier to the first black Secretary of State.

“Yes, I've knocked down a few too. It just shows that our country has been doing this for a while, and it's great that this last barrier, perhaps, has also come down.”

Rice also made clear that she has no desire to be vice president.

Rumors of a John McCain-Rice ticket were prevalent in April after Dan Senor, a leading Republican strategist, suggested that she was mounting a behind-the-scenes campaign to be McCain's No. 2

“I tell everybody who will listen … look, I’ve done my part, and I’ve got six months to sprint to the finish, and then I have other things that I want to do,” she said.

Following the end of her term, Rice said she wants to write a book about American foreign policy.

“There are issues that have come to concern me greatly - some that I was concerned about before I came here, like the state of education in the United States - which I think is at the root of our competitiveness. It's at the root of our confidence, and therefore it's at the root of our international leadership,” she said.

“I'll go back and work on issues like that and it will be time for somebody else to take the stage.”

1. R. Cooper

Go ahead, Condi, show your support for Obama!

July 20, 2008 04:20 pm at 4:20 pm |
  2. Daniel, WA

Wolf is a biased reporter. He pretends to be a good journalist. Why should Secretary of State pick up Barack Obama? Get some sense when you ask such question. I think Wolf has to retire now. Vote John McCain.

July 20, 2008 04:22 pm at 4:22 pm |
  3. Texas Trail Dog

WOLF, SHE'S AFRICAN AMERICAN ISN'T SHE? NEXT QUESTION?

July 20, 2008 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  4. probama in paradise

I LOVE Condi–and the woman is way too smart to vote anyone but Obama...
    That's why she's mum...can you blame her? The repugs would lynch her...
    I hope Obama will use her expertise in his administration.

July 20, 2008 04:24 pm at 4:24 pm |
  5. peter

vote obama, save the country

July 20, 2008 04:24 pm at 4:24 pm |
  6. Brian

I guess its not for McCain then. If she said Obama, Bush would probably fire her.

July 20, 2008 04:24 pm at 4:24 pm |
  7. larry

she has become a very refreshing voice

July 20, 2008 04:25 pm at 4:25 pm |
  8. benvictor

Is this a joke? Colin Powell is black and guess what.

July 20, 2008 04:28 pm at 4:28 pm |
  9. Nick

So neither Colin Powell or Condi Rice will say that they are voting for the Republican, and can therefore be seen as potential Obama voters. If the GOP can't count on their votes, whose can they count on?

July 20, 2008 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  10. darby

i believe that Miss Rice will vote for Obama

July 20, 2008 04:35 pm at 4:35 pm |
  11. McNo

She is that mysterious .05% of the black people that will not vote for Obama

July 20, 2008 04:36 pm at 4:36 pm |
  12. SARA

NO MATTER WHAT, SHE WILL VOTE FOROBAMACAUSEHEISBLACK.

July 20, 2008 04:36 pm at 4:36 pm |
  13. Sharyn in Atlanta

Uh, don't you think if she were going to vote for McCain she would have jumped at the chance to say so? I mean, she's the public prop for a Republican administration that is supporting McCain, so she wouldn't have any fallout from voicing support for him. Her credibility is shot, so it doesn't really matter, but I think it's telling.

July 20, 2008 04:37 pm at 4:37 pm |
  14. Chipster

Rice has been a complete failure as National Security Adviser and Secretary of State. She admitted her awareness of memos that warned of a terrorist attack, especially one titled "'Bin Laden Determined to Attack Inside the United States." Yet, she testified that the Administration had not expected an attack and that the memo was on about historical information. However, FBI information presented at the hearings revealed "that the FBI indicates patterns of suspicious activity in the United States consistent with preparations for hijacking."

As Secretary of State, she has certainly traveled and visited many world leaders. I'm not aware of anything she has accomplished as far as cooperation with any of the Administration's diplomatic goals – and, frankly, there have been very few diplomatic goals to achieve.

Why would anyone want her as a VP? I doubt she would even make a good baseball commissioner.

July 20, 2008 04:37 pm at 4:37 pm |
  15. Mary In AL

If she were going to vote for Mccain she would have said "of course for Mccain" She said "no". Why wouldn't she express support for her own parties nominee, unless she had planned to vote for the other nominee! Ummm!

Obama 08

July 20, 2008 04:37 pm at 4:37 pm |
  16. Madear

I think Ms. Rice is a great American role model for girls. She studied and worked hard and was able to succeed. Although I don't agree with all her political stances, I respect this woman and the parents who nurtured her!

I think she'll vote for Obama because even John McCain doesn't know what's John McCain's plan for America. Am I the only one who thinks it's strange that McCain and Clinton run their organizations so poorly?? I'm a small business owner who recognizes that a smooth running organization is the result great leadership. I can't seem to get past the poor finance management and multiple messages of Clinton or McCain, so I'm probably going to vote for Obama.

July 20, 2008 04:38 pm at 4:38 pm |
  17. Greg in Annapolis

She's voting for Obama! She's a smart woman and she's seen exactly what it's like to have an ineffective idiot in the White House for the past eight years. We are all going to witness what may be the largest landslide victory in U.S. Presidential Election history in November!!!!!

July 20, 2008 04:41 pm at 4:41 pm |
  18. Jeff Brown

Who cares?

July 20, 2008 04:42 pm at 4:42 pm |
  19. Mary

Condoleeza would make a great VP

July 20, 2008 04:43 pm at 4:43 pm |
  20. John Anthony Castro

I would love to read Condoleezza Rice's book on foreign policy so I can understand her and the Bush Administration a lot better. I'm glad she's thinking independently for once and not being a narrow-minded Republican.

I think it's plain to see that the establishment has turned its back on McCain and is taking advantage of Obama's olive branch he extended them. The occupation in Iraq will surely end, but I can promise you that America will maintain its presence in Afghanistan.

A remaining presence in Afghanistan will guarantee an Obama Re-Election in 2012.

July 20, 2008 04:44 pm at 4:44 pm |
  21. 4 Obama

Hats off for you Rice. I think you're a great lady! May Obama remember u when he is in the White H.

July 20, 2008 04:46 pm at 4:46 pm |
  22. OBAMAN

IT IS OK NOT TO SAYING LOUD, BUT WE ALL KNOW THAT YOU ARE GOING TO CAST YOUR VOTE FOR BARACK OBAMA NOT BECAUSE HE IS BLACK BUT BECAUSE HE IS THE MAN FOR THE JOB. IT IS WISE OF YOU THAT OU DONT WANT TO DISAPPOINT JOHN MC CAIN, YOU KNOW WHAT? EVEN MC CAIN IS GOING TO VOTE FOR BARACK.
    OBAMA 08 OBAMA 12 OBAM 16!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

July 20, 2008 04:47 pm at 4:47 pm |
  23. benneth

i love u for all that you stand for.

July 20, 2008 04:49 pm at 4:49 pm |
  24. Monica, Texas

This is telling because if she were choosing McCain that would be easy to say aloud....Hmmmmm sounds like a vote for Obama to me

July 20, 2008 04:51 pm at 4:51 pm |
  25. Sylvia Johnsen

I think... Republican and McCharacter.

July 20, 2008 04:51 pm at 4:51 pm |