July 21st, 2008

Clinton campaign debt grew after her run ended

(CNN) – Former Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Clinton’s campaign debt continued to grow after she suspended her White House bid - and included another $1 million loan by the New York senator to her own campaign, according to documents filed Sunday with the Federal Election Commission.

Clinton reported carrying a total of $25.2 million in debts and self-financed loans at the end of June, up from $22.5 million one month earlier. The increase is due in part to an additional $1 million that the New York senator loaned the campaign out of her personal funds on June 30. Clinton now has loaned her campaign a total of $13.2 million - more than half the total debt.

The campaign’s debts to outside vendors and creditors also increased from $10.3 million at the end of May to $12.0 million one month later. Part of this increase is likely due to spending related to the Puerto Rico primary on June 1 and the Montana and South Dakota primaries on June 3, as well as expenses incurred from shutting down her campaign operation.

The bulk of Clinton’s vendor debt is owed to the Democratic polling firm of Penn, Schoen & Berland. The firm was owed $5.3 million as of June 30, up from $4.6 million at the end of May.

Clinton suspended her campaign and endorsed presumptive Democratic nominee Barack Obama on June 7. Since then, Obama has encouraged his contributors to help Clinton pay down her debt owed to vendors, including at one joint fundraiser on June 26 at a Washington D.C. hotel, where Obama and his wife Michelle each contributed $2,300 to Clinton. Those contributions did not appear in the Clinton campaign’s most recent FEC filing.

Clinton had amassed a warchest of about $24.2 million as of June 30 that could have been used if she became the Democratic nominee, but under federal regulations, funds gathered for use in the general election may not be used to pay down debt from the primary season. Clinton has about $1.9 million in campaign cash that may be used to pay down her total debt.

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
  1. Johhny Wadd Holmes

Why don't all those disillusioned Clinton voters, all 18 million of them, each pony up a dollar each and then we will not have to spend time writing about this anymore!!! They were so supportive of her in the primary, now they abandon her when she needs your help. We Obama folks don't need you fair weather folks. If you cannot stick with the party, even when your candidate looses, then we don't need you now. Go vote for McCain and see what your lives will be like four years from now under him. I don't want to hear you complaining then. You have your chance now, do something about it and vote Obama, support the Democratic party and contribute to Hillary's debt and move on with your life.

July 21, 2008 07:57 pm at 7:57 pm |
  2. dumpmccain/the realmccain

Wisconsin July 21st, 2008 7:04 pm ET

We cant forget the most important thing here and thats beating McWar!

______________________________________________________

Wisconsin...you are so right. i have to apologize for my other post...i will donate to Hill's debt in spite of the PUMA people. why? two reasons a) i like the Clintons and most importantly b) John S. Mccain CAN NOT BE PRESIDENT....the caps are for the Texas Dog.
    dumpmccain.com (texas trail dog go look for yourself)

July 21, 2008 07:59 pm at 7:59 pm |
  3. Terry, NJ

The 18 millions supporters will show up at the polls in November to either vote for McCain or write in Hillary. So not voting for the Koolaid man. He's got a whole lot of sugar to pour from is mouth in speeches but not much more nutrition to fix the country's problems. Talk is cheap. NOBAMA!!! PUMA all the way!

July 21, 2008 07:59 pm at 7:59 pm |
  4. Monica for Obama in Indiana

I don't feel sorry for hillary, but I do feel sorry for the vendors and I think the vendors should take her to court for their monies.

I would really like to know what is going on with the bush administration? all of this is just a smoke screen for them.

July 21, 2008 08:06 pm at 8:06 pm |
  5. Lynn

Linda 31 – I have been a Hillary supporter since she was First Lady. I have donated to her NY Senate race. This is about the all boys club and some women like Pelosi etc. plus Obama does not have the experience to be President. From a community organizer to President. Really!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What about all the experience in between that he does not have. To tell you the truth I don't like either candidate. Even if Hillary was not in the primary. I would be writing this about Obama. About the plane issue who really cares about it. There are more serious problems America is facing.

July 21, 2008 08:09 pm at 8:09 pm |
  6. Kingslough NY.

Hard for me to contribute to a millionaire and to make things worse a millionaire who is after her own interest first when the odds are clearly against her. Fighting spirit but no back up plan...so much for a president-wanna-be.

July 21, 2008 08:11 pm at 8:11 pm |
  7. Bill in CT

Unbelievable that she wanted to be POTUS yet ran that kind of financial operation with her campaign. Time for her so called 18 millions supporters to each give her a one dollar. Perhaps that will cover her debt.

July 21, 2008 08:12 pm at 8:12 pm |
  8. Linda31

Lynn, honestly it is not about liking a candidate personally but about what they can do for this country. You talk about experience, it seems that the experience you are holding on to is in terms of length in office. If it is about what Obama has done in office, I urge you to go to the library of congress and you can see for yourself what this community organizer has been doing in that short time.

I agree there are more serious problems that we are facing, that's why I had to say something about the plane comment. If you notice, I was not bashing Senator Clinton and have the utmost respect for her. The problem is the serious problems we are talking about are the same reason she is supporting Senator Obama.

July 21, 2008 08:19 pm at 8:19 pm |
  9. rachel

Everyone talks so much trash. I lost my wallet, waiting on my replacement credit cards, and debit card then I will be sending in what I can for Hillary, hopefully this week, Obama I am not sure his supporters feel the don't need Hillary supporters so I am sure he will do fine without me.

July 21, 2008 08:23 pm at 8:23 pm |
  10. Refuse War - We can Do Better

She saw the math would not be possible for her to win months before she decided to get out of the race, and she chose to stay in anyway – asking for money at every speech. All this info was available to everyone. Her supporters chose to invest themselves and their money in her – in spite of the math.

Don't throw good after bad. Keep your money and MOVE ON. But vote on issues rather than personalities. Your ONE VOTE is a hard fought for privilege. Use it for ISSUES rather than personal spite. There are too many people out there hurting – It is TOO IMPORTANT TO MESS THIS ONE UP!

July 21, 2008 08:24 pm at 8:24 pm |
  11. The Shepherd

I encourage all you Obama idiots to keep on talking trash about Hillary and her supporters. Please keep it going. Your only helping McCain be our next president.

July 21, 2008 08:27 pm at 8:27 pm |
  12. PUMA-Jessie

Well another of my comments went somewhere. It did not even show up on the screen. It was mildly critical of the "chosen one", but that is what is now expected from CNN. Sad, so sad!

July 21, 2008 08:32 pm at 8:32 pm |
  13. Will, NJ

A man can live in a cave for 50 years and tell you all there is to know about it, but it's still just a cave. Existence doesn't mean experience.

July 21, 2008 08:37 pm at 8:37 pm |
  14. PUMA-Jessie

Just listening to Gloria Borger. OMG, what a "flake", trying to explain away why McCain will not name a VP candidate now, like someone in the McCain campaign would give her some very 'hush hush" information.She is so boring, it makes you want to go to the cartoon stations. Oh, I forgot that's CNN!

July 21, 2008 08:38 pm at 8:38 pm |
  15. Cate

I find it curious that so many of the posters here are referencing the PUMA movement. It seems like every third poster mentions the PUMAs. Odd.

July 21, 2008 08:41 pm at 8:41 pm |
  16. Sue

Lynn – The DNC requested the football field, not Obama, get your facts right.

Make sure that you spend that $2300 wisely, you'll wish you had kept if the republicans make it back into office.

I am required to pay off my own debt. She should be required too also.

July 21, 2008 08:44 pm at 8:44 pm |
  17. Megan D.

HA ha. Hillary, you cannot handle money for your own campaign so how did you ever intend on being President? You are a millionaire with all that debt. Good job. I am truly impressed. Your followers would be smart to vote for their best interests and not sulk around for you anymore.

July 21, 2008 08:44 pm at 8:44 pm |
  18. 17 year old future politician

I have a lot of respect for Hillary, but she knew if she continued to stay and campaign (even after it was clear she would lose), that she would contribute to her debt...25 million in debt is highly noticable and she showed stubborness by staying in...she hurt herself AS WELL AS the democratic party...I love her to death but I must say she absolutely deserves the consequences for her actions...IT'S YOUR PARTY FIRST!!! No room for Selfishness!!!

Obama/Sebelius 08'