July 21st, 2008

GOP takes over Minnesota convention site

(CNN) - The Republican National Committee has officially taken the reins of St. Paul, Minnesota's Xcel Energy Center, site of the party's 2008 national convention.

In an informal ceremony held at the site Monday morning, a cardboard "key" to the arena was presented to Republican officials, who have officially rented the facility until at least September 4. Soon after, around 100 workers began filing in to begin the physical changes.

Eventually, 600 workers are slated to labor on-site. Rows of chairs will be removed; box suites will be turned into television studios.

"It's technically a construction site, but we're not really constructing anything," said convention press secretary Joanna Burgos. "It's really just aesthetics inside - a lot of refurbishing and transforming into something else."

Filed under: RNC
  1. Abby

Your 8 years are up. It’s time for others to clean up your mess.

OBAMA for AMERICA 08

July 21, 2008 01:59 pm at 1:59 pm |
  2. Bob Indianapolis, IN

MMMmmm! Cardboard key! Perfect symbol of a flat-earth 2-Dimensional party and candidate...

July 21, 2008 02:03 pm at 2:03 pm |
  3. The Voice

This is where all the heads of the mob families will meet!

July 21, 2008 02:04 pm at 2:04 pm |
  4. Tracey

Whoop dee do-who cares?

The Democratic Convention will be the hottest ticket in town. You can call it a spectacle, but I call it an American pastime. Imagine that, Americas invested and interested in their government. I've never seen anything like it, and as long as I live, I don't think I'll see it again

July 21, 2008 02:04 pm at 2:04 pm |
  5. ali

what a waste of time.they should just rent a baseball stadium....theres plenty of room for everyone ...in the dugouts.

July 21, 2008 02:06 pm at 2:06 pm |
  6. Tee

Whoop dee do—who cares?

The Democratic Convention will be the hottest ticket in town. You can call it a spectacle, but I call it an American pastime. Imagine that, Americans invested and interested in their government. I've never seen anything like it, and as long as I live, I don't think I'll see it again

July 21, 2008 02:07 pm at 2:07 pm |
  7. What if?

OK, and what?

July 21, 2008 02:07 pm at 2:07 pm |
  8. Mccain LIES!

I'm sure somebody's basement will do fine. Who in their right mind is supporting john mccain?

July 21, 2008 02:09 pm at 2:09 pm |
  9. Michael "C" Lorton, Virginia

Instead of transforming the convention site aesthetically, the GOP needs some serious tranformation of the GOP itself.

July 21, 2008 02:10 pm at 2:10 pm |
  10. NotFallingInLine.org

Their convention may not be the stuff of rock stars, but at least they have a legitimate and qualified nominee.

The second-tier, undemocratic Democratic Party losership stuck us with a rhetorician-without-a-record.

Please help us.

July 21, 2008 02:11 pm at 2:11 pm |
  11. Jerry in Boston

"a lot of refurbishing and transforming into something else"

How appropriate for John McCain.

July 21, 2008 02:12 pm at 2:12 pm |
  12. Jan, Knoxville, TN

That undoubtedly will be the most boring convention in recent memory.

July 21, 2008 02:12 pm at 2:12 pm |
  13. Cynthia - Arkansas

I hope they leave a lot of room outside for the protestors! I can only imagine how many will be there this time!

July 21, 2008 02:12 pm at 2:12 pm |
  14. Kristen

This is what they choose to spend money on a lot of "asthetics". Too bad it wont win them the White House in November.

BARACK THE VOTE 2008!!!

July 21, 2008 02:15 pm at 2:15 pm |
  15. Cynthia

How many people will it hold?

July 21, 2008 02:16 pm at 2:16 pm |
  16. Ken

I hope they have a "get out of Minnesota" strategy. They certainly didn't have one for Iraq.

Minnesota will have to invest in some industrial-strength de-lousing spray after they've gone. They are sure to leave a stench.

July 21, 2008 02:17 pm at 2:17 pm |
  17. I am a "whiner" in a "mental recession".

NotFallingInLine.org– Murphy needs you to send some more letters to Dean, Donna, Pelosi and the superdelegates. You don't have time to be on this ticker commenting. Get busy if you want Hillary placed in nomination. HA HA HA

July 21, 2008 02:18 pm at 2:18 pm |
  18. Andrea

I'm voting for Obama, but good luck to the GOP in transforming the Convention Center. This is an American process, and not a dictatorship. So may the best man win, and I hope that man is Barack Obama.

Obama 08

July 21, 2008 02:18 pm at 2:18 pm |
  19. spanky

Go ahead and spend your money, the people will speak this fall, and it will be a BAD BAD day for the republican party. And well deserved at that!

The republican party is about to take their rightful place among the other betrayers of true american patriots...in historys waste basket

July 21, 2008 02:18 pm at 2:18 pm |
  20. JA Cook

"It's really just aesthetics inside — a lot of refurbishing and transforming into something else."

Is that about McCain or the building?

July 21, 2008 02:19 pm at 2:19 pm |
  21. Bob Hussein Akmad Jones

No matter what all you libs say I have 3 words Reid, Pelosi & Dean........HAHHAHAH oh Hold On HAHAHAHAHA. Nice representation HAHAHAHAH I just fell off my chair HAHAHAHAHAH.

Doesnt she have one of her special parades to attend in San Francisco that weekend? HAHAHAHAHA

July 21, 2008 02:20 pm at 2:20 pm |
  22. A Latte Lover, Seattle, WA

I seriously doubt if the Gay Old Party needs a venue as large as Xcel for their convention. Will they have problems filling it???? The crowds that McCain has been drawing so far, look anything but enthused. I always wonder if there is someone behind the scenes holding up a sign that says APPLAUSE when McCain thinks he has said something worthy, lol.

Obama/Biden, 08 or Hagel or Clark....

July 21, 2008 02:21 pm at 2:21 pm |
  23. Phil in KC

Good grief! All that time and money for a few nights' use? Seems over the top. I thought the Republicans were supposed to be the party of fiscal restraint.

July 21, 2008 02:22 pm at 2:22 pm |
  24. Hillary Backer for McCain

Yeah baby, lets get the party started. I can't wait to watch the coverage of the RNC as a new member. I was for the DEMS but when they stole the election and gave it to that boy, i said "no way" I represent the majority and as a majority I do have certain inalianabel rights. Such as the right to select the candidate we want and not picked by urban people. We are takinf over the red states and will convert blue states this time.

McCain is out best hope.

July 21, 2008 02:22 pm at 2:22 pm |
  25. Where'sThe Minority?

Don't forget to call some minorities and let them know that you will pay to have them onstage as a prop for John-I'm-just-like-you McSame.

Have you ever noticed how John and Hillary for that matter, will make it a point to find a minority, and stand right in front of them so America will think they're inclusive?

My husband and I play a game called "Where's the black person" because every politician runs to them for a photo opt. We're black by the way, and we think it's insulting. Just stand in front of Americans, the color of their skin does not matter.

Obama 08