July 21st, 2008

New York Times rejects McCain essay

The New York Times rejected an editorial written by John McCain.
The New York Times rejected an editorial written by John McCain.

(CNN) - The New York Times has rejected an op-ed piece written by John McCain defending his Iraq war policy in response to a piece by Barack Obama published in the paper last week.

Read the rejected op-ed

In an e-mail to the McCain campaign, Opinion Page Editor David Shipley said he could not accept the piece as written, but would be “pleased, though, to look at another draft.”

“Let me suggest an approach,” he wrote. “The Obama piece worked for me because it offered new information (it appeared before his speech); while Senator Obama discussed Senator McCain, he also went into detail about his own plans. It would be terrific to have an article from Senator McCain that mirrors Senator Obama's piece.”

McCain’s rejected op-ed had been a lengthy critique of Obama’s positions on Iraq policy, particularly his view of the surge. “Senator Obama seems to have learned nothing from recent history,” wrote McCain, criticizing Obama’s call for an early withdrawal timeline. “I find it ironic that he is emulating the worst mistake of the Bush administration by waving the ‘Mission Accomplished’ banner prematurely.”

Obama’s July 14 essay had taken shots at McCain for not further encouraging the Iraqi government to take control of the country.

Full story

1. chuck

The New York Times owes nothing to McSames' typical republican rhetoric. "if we can't say what we want, then we won't say anything" boo hoo hoo!! They Republican's will be whining for the next 20 years or until they get in the White House again.

July 21, 2008 01:35 pm at 1:35 pm |
  2. Jim

I guess we know who the Times wants to be President. That's some good unbiased journalism.

July 21, 2008 01:35 pm at 1:35 pm |
  3. GE stock owner

and rightfully so....what can McCain possibly say? nothing of relevance only unwarranted attacks and fear mongering. the people who have bought McCain want desperately for Mccain to win so they can continue to rape our Nation

July 21, 2008 01:35 pm at 1:35 pm |
  4. smile|||||

what would you expect from DUMMY?

it would be beyond his intelligence,,,,,,,,

July 21, 2008 01:35 pm at 1:35 pm |
  5. Voter

So in other words... McCain has no "plan" and just wants to attack Obama's plan rather than put one together... GOP "leadership" at its best!

July 21, 2008 01:35 pm at 1:35 pm |
  6. Janelle

I am glad that the Times is asking for a balanced article that McCain will have to articulate his views and policies, not just a broad criticism of Obama. I am sure that there will be plenty of comments posted about how "biased" they are in support of Obama. But all they are doing is making sure they are a forum for the candidates to use to bring their policies to the public and not being used for one candidate to just bash the ideas of the other.

July 21, 2008 01:35 pm at 1:35 pm |
  7. Shawn

If he doesn't stop blatantly lying in his commercials, those are going to start being refused too!

July 21, 2008 01:35 pm at 1:35 pm |
  8. Thank You GW

We wouldn't even have a historical election had it not be for the idiocy of George Bush. So thank you George for being a complete moron. We love the fact that the country is voting for women and minorities now.

July 21, 2008 01:35 pm at 1:35 pm |
  9. JA Cook

It seems that McCain's campaign is now built wholly on criticism and negativity.

I hear so little about what he actually wants to offer, but far more about what he thinks is wrong with Obama – much of that exaggerated or totally off base.

While Obama travels, McCain is like a grumpy old man sitting back and sniping.

July 21, 2008 01:35 pm at 1:35 pm |
  10. Mike, Syracuse, NY

Amazing. The NY Times trying to tell a Presidential candidate what to say. Did it tell Obama what he had to say? This is media bias at it's worse. This is an abuse of the First Amendment.

July 21, 2008 01:36 pm at 1:36 pm |
  11. Tired of W, OH

NYT: " It would be terrific to have an article from Senator McCain that mirrors Senator Obama's piece.”

LOL! That shouldn't be too hard, McSame. You've been copying Obama's policies for a while now!

McCain: “I find it ironic that he (Obama) is emulating the worst mistake of the Bush administration by waving the ‘Mission Accomplished’ banner prematurely.”

LMAO! Didn't McCain just say last week that we've already WON in Iraq? This is just too easy... Go take your meds, McCain. Maybe then you can remember what you say from one day to the next.

July 21, 2008 01:36 pm at 1:36 pm |
  12. Dominique

The New York Times made a reasonable request. I expect my leaders to be able to do more than simply attack their opponent. I want to hear about how they will approach issues and solve problems.

On another note, may I respectfully suggest another trip for Sen. McCain? After he completes his tour of Czechoslovakia, perhaps he would also consider touring that border between Iraq and Pakistan.

July 21, 2008 01:36 pm at 1:36 pm |
  13. George

The New York Times: All the News that's fit to print...unless we don't like it or it comes from a Republican.

July 21, 2008 01:36 pm at 1:36 pm |
  14. David from Ohio

Yes that's it, they're dirtbags for rejecting what amounts to a written attack ad from McCain with no mention of his plan for "winning" in Iraq. Funny how he can't define "victory" but promises to achieve. Sounds like he's the empty suit.

July 21, 2008 01:36 pm at 1:36 pm |
  15. FactCheck

Does McCain know how to do anything other than react? I doubt that the public really cares what he thinks of Obama's policies. We want to know what you have to offer... if anything. By the way, CNN, still waiting on the story about how McCain didn't know that Iraq and Pakistan DO NOT SHARE A BORDER.

July 21, 2008 01:37 pm at 1:37 pm |
  16. kingsley

Thank god for a publication that will demand the meaning of VICTORY IN IRAQ I keep hearing it from McSame and i beleive the illiterates buy into that.

congrats to the NEW YORK TIMES for this demands

July 21, 2008 01:37 pm at 1:37 pm |
  17. richard cranium

The NYT isn't even subtle in their democratic bias.

Their refusal to print the McCain op-ed and their attempt to 'legislate' it's contents reflect the level of journalism pervading their approach to this election.

July 21, 2008 01:37 pm at 1:37 pm |
  18. It's obvious

The New York Times showing favoritism toward Barack Obama and losing their editorial objectivity in the process?

I'm shocked. Shocked I tell you.

July 21, 2008 01:37 pm at 1:37 pm |
  19. helen

I didn't know McWar knew how to write.

July 21, 2008 01:37 pm at 1:37 pm |
  20. ali

they dont allow editorials of gobbledeegook.although ,i do credit mccain with eliminating two serious problems for us ,in the middle east.apparrently,afghanistan and iran no longer exist,because mccain moved the iraqi border over next to pakistan.

July 21, 2008 01:38 pm at 1:38 pm |
  21. Tina

Good for the Times. You think I want to spend one waking moment of my day reading John let-me-kiss-your-ring McSame's propaganda about Barack? NO.

July 21, 2008 01:38 pm at 1:38 pm |
  22. Retired Marine

I find it humorous that the Times has chosen to side with BO. I don't think that stands for Body Odor?

July 21, 2008 01:38 pm at 1:38 pm |
  23. Save us

Does this mean that America is becoming an Obamanation in the eyes of the Lord?

July 21, 2008 01:38 pm at 1:38 pm |
  24. An American

This is laughable! They really are playing catch up...and poorly! The editor said it himself. The Obama editorial presented NEW information (not regurgitated info) AND offered details. (There goes the argument again that he never gives any details. Repub/McCain spin perhaps?) And the best McCain could do was respond with a lengthy critique?

Get over yourself, McCain, and start telling us exactly what you plan on doing. From where I sit, your only plan is telling us what you think is wrong with Obama's plan.

July 21, 2008 01:38 pm at 1:38 pm |
  25. George

Need we say anything else??????

There is no credibilty at the New York Times. That is why I cancelled my subscription years ago.

I expected no less from them

July 21, 2008 01:38 pm at 1:38 pm |