July 23rd, 2008

Is McCain inching towards Pawlenty?

Is McCain inching toward Pawlenty?

Is McCain inching toward Pawlenty?

ROCHESTER, New Hampshire (CNN) - It's VP tea leaf reading season, and a Republican source who attended a small private meeting with John McCain Tuesday in New Hampshire tells CNN that the GOP candidate dropped a serious hint about Minnesota Governor Tim Pawlenty.

The Republican source said "out of the blue" McCain told the gathering that he thinks they are "really going to like" Pawlenty.

CNN's Political Market: Pawlenty's stock on the rise

This GOP source noted that McCain also said nice things about Mitt Romney, Mike Huckabee and Rudy Giuliani, but those appeared to be standard lines he says about former rivals.

This source said McCain may have been talking about Pawlenty because the meeting was with New Hampshire GOP delegates, and the Republican convention is in Pawlenty's state.

But this source said McCain's praise was effusive, and noteworthy because it appeared to come "totally out of left field."

Pawlenty is a long-time supporter of McCain's. He's from a swing state with considerable support across the Republican Party, including evangelicals, and has always been thought by Republican strategists to be on McCain's short list.

The Minnesota governor, who is visiting Washington, was at McCain headquarters in Virginia today for meetings, according to a McCain aide.

Filed under: John McCain
  1. Mike

Do any of you Obama nuts actually listen to your man when he is without his teleprompter? He cannot string two words together without saying "um". He is dumb. How else can you explain his comment on the surge. He could not have gone to Iraq if the surge had not worked yet he says he is still against it. Like I said, he is dumb. His supporters are dumb. For what it is worth, this is what you guys sound like when you call McCain names. How does it feel?

July 23, 2008 10:42 am at 10:42 am |
  2. ulysses

My only hope is that Pawlenty resigns as governor so he can concentrate on losing a national election.

July 23, 2008 10:42 am at 10:42 am |
  3. Just Shoot Me

You guys are freaking nuts... I just dont understand how you could dislike McCain... Lets review

Gang of 14 = more big gov. and back room deals
    Global warming = more big gov and new taxes
    Immigration = disgusting

And thats just the tip, So he is almost as much as a Marxist as yall, whats the deal?? I would have thought that you guys would love him??

I mean I am still going to cross over and vote for McCain... Only because Obama is going deliver a speech in Germany in the same spot that Hitler declared victory at! Fitting place for him! Think that he'll say God Bless America during that speech??!!

July 23, 2008 10:42 am at 10:42 am |
  4. Kyle

Minnesota is not a swing state. I believe the last poll had Obama up 15 points. C'mon CNN.

July 23, 2008 10:43 am at 10:43 am |
  5. Tom

Well McCain why dont you just come out and endorse Obama...... You need to pick a well known, strong republican like Romney, Crist or maybe Jindal.

July 23, 2008 10:43 am at 10:43 am |
  6. Deke

Our forefathers are rolling around in their graves at the thought of Americans taking orders from a general. This country should be listening to the president. George Bush has his head in the sand while the "adults" are leading the way. General Petreus is a terrific general, but he should be making recommendations, and running the Iraqi War, not running America. That’s why our economy is in the toilet.

Barack will take control of the reigns and do what the Constitution says he should do–be the Commander in Chief, of the military.

July 23, 2008 10:43 am at 10:43 am |
  7. Hans Meiser

You know, McCain has to pick somebody who can't run faster than him. I mean, what would you do when a slobbering zombie comes shuffling towards you, arms out, moaning "you.. my.. vee pee"?

In all seriousness, this is hard for McCain because he's not holding up well in the spotlight. A VP who looks way better than the presidential candidate is just.. odd.

July 23, 2008 10:44 am at 10:44 am |
  8. al

*************************************************

WHO CARES.

July 23, 2008 10:44 am at 10:44 am |
  9. Kyle

Pawlenty also isn't that popular. He won by a plurality last election, only about 46.5% of the vote.

July 23, 2008 10:44 am at 10:44 am |
  10. Darla (Edmonton, Canada)

Have no clue who Pawlenty is or what's on his bio ... but if he can speak (since McCain can't seem to use a teleprompter) ... and if he can write (since the NYT asked for a re-write on his op-ed) ... and if he can count (since McCain admits that the economy is not his strength) ... if he knows geography and history (since McCain's knowledge on borders and world leaders is either from out-of-date textbooks or personal observation) ... Pawlenty may have to do everything else since McCain's only clearly usable skill is a finger (to push a button and drop the bombs to continue an already lost war in Iraq).

July 23, 2008 10:44 am at 10:44 am |
  11. Rich M

I doubt that Pawlenty would help McCain even carry Minnesota. He won his own state by narrow margins.Romney would be the better choice because he would make Michigan competitive a state the Dems need. Industrial workers in Ohio would also identify with Romney as a pro business advocate that would be good for the economy and for jobs. Additionally large Mormon populations in Colorado and Nevada would help the GOP to hold those important states. I don't think Pawlenty gives any strength to the GOP ticket.

July 23, 2008 10:45 am at 10:45 am |
  12. astounded

I cannot believe how downright hateful the left is in America. You people need to grow up.

July 23, 2008 10:45 am at 10:45 am |
  13. Punditish

"No one cares who Mclueless pick, he was born a looser"

It's spelled "loser." And it's funny you should say that, because he's never lost a general election. He won his first Congressional race by 7 points and his second by 56 points. He's won four terms in the Senate, with his LOWEST margin of victory being a whopping 20 points.

So, uh, yeah...thanks for your incredible insight. Ditto for all the "McSame" people. Wow, goofy nicknames. What is this, middle school? Hang on, I can do it to: "Nobama"! What a great way to contribute to the political discourse.

July 23, 2008 10:46 am at 10:46 am |
  14. also wisconsin

Wisconsin. What ideas of Obamas? I have not heard any other than don't send troops to the surge-and that turned out to be wrong. Could it be that Obama has no ideas because he has no experience?
    He was wrong on the fundamental question of his time in office-the surge.
    When the bad guys are coming for you, who do you want holding the hammer? The guy who won't pick up the hammer or the guy who is the hammer?

July 23, 2008 10:46 am at 10:46 am |
  15. Texas Trail Dog!

I'm sorry for my other Posts on this blog. My nurse hasn't been giving me my sedatives lately and the darkies at the rest home have been eating at the same table as me all week. They won't let me tune the TV in the common room to FOX News either! This place is torture!! When I call OBAMA an idiot, no one backs me up!! WhaT happened to my country!! What happened to my Confederate Flag tucked under my bed!! Those liberal nurses took it!!!

But OBAMA is STUPID!!!

MCCAIN '05 FOR SECURITY OF THE EGYPT/RUSSIA BORDER!!!

(Yeah, like this'll get posted... well, at least give a thought to it, CNN... please??)

July 23, 2008 10:46 am at 10:46 am |
  16. Logtaads

Amazing... how you liberals keep hammering McCain about his age. What hypocrisy! You are the same people that blast others for their intolerance on a whole range of issues, but everyday I read your comments you bad mouth the man for his age. You should be ashamed of yourselves.

July 23, 2008 10:46 am at 10:46 am |
  17. Marineguy

Amazing!!!! It is clear that all you "McSame" folks are quite deaf, cannot read, and do not understand the differences between candidates and the incumbent. I read one intelligent comment and lo and behold, it was from a fellow Marine. Figures. We may not agree but at least he made an intelligent statement which is far more than the rest of you! As a proud independent for more than 30 years I DO listen to the candidates and avoid drinking the Kool Aid being prepared by the moonbats in the Obama camp. When he understands the issues I'll be much more attentive to him. Have any of you ever researched how he became a Senator in the first place? Didn't take much experience.....go find out the rest for yourselves.

July 23, 2008 10:46 am at 10:46 am |
  18. ster

Attacks Obama for his ideas? Um, no... He's attacking Obama for his LACK of ideas.

Basically, he has none.
    Unfortunately, this is another election of the lesser of two evils.

It's either McCain who, while a hero, lacks in economics knowledge.
    Or Obama, who lacks in all knowledge. But, he's pretty and can read a teleprompter well.

That's it.
    So sad.

July 23, 2008 10:47 am at 10:47 am |
  19. fresno

McCain would be a lot better president that Hussein.

July 23, 2008 10:47 am at 10:47 am |
  20. Andy Mack

"McLame ..would be better off with a doctor…"

Like Ron Paul!

But RP would never accept a ticket with an insane, war loving, economically handicapped, fascist like McCain. Probably for the better.

July 23, 2008 10:47 am at 10:47 am |
  21. Jason

That's it bolster your ticket by picking someone no one has heard of. Sure it will slide Min into your column in November, but that is about all it will do. I think Jindal would be a far better choice for McCain. He is everything McCain isn't and a good counter to Obama. Although, as a Louisiana resident I can say that given recent occurances involving our beloved governor, there could be some cannon fodder for the Dems to hit Jindal with.

Anyway, I'm voting Green or Libertarian (or a Ron Paul write-in) so what do I care?

July 23, 2008 10:47 am at 10:47 am |
  22. Ed

I'm with Obama because he's for warrantless wiretapping, against public election funding, and he's talking about keeping the troops in Iraq depending on conditions. Obama will raise my taxes for 1960s style poverty programs that don't work, but he sure sounds nice making those speeches.

July 23, 2008 10:47 am at 10:47 am |
  23. Sue, SD

I wanted McSame to pick Romney because he's so plastic. McSame is accustomed to plastic because he married Cindy Lou. Anyway, I digress–he should pick Romney because nobody likes him, he should pick Romney because he's a Mormon (and while I think that's okay, the country is bias), he should pick Romney because he a fake and a phony, he's wealthy and grew up with a silver spoon in his mouth (not unlike GW). Yeah, Romney is the best choice because I want Barack Obama to win.

July 23, 2008 10:47 am at 10:47 am |
  24. spkmoi

Listen to you all on the left try to "out bitter" everyone else. You guys need therapy. Can't you just give an opinion without hating someone? Nope, it's genetic!
    Good luck in November with your whiny, negative spewing. Americans don't like it one bit. Just watch.

July 23, 2008 10:48 am at 10:48 am |
  25. RonPaulGuy

You DumboCrats are a riot, so whitty and funny.

Other thant he race sympathy card the guy who said you should be up 20-30 pts is spot on.

Mac takes it in November.

Poor Dumbo's