July 23rd, 2008

Is McCain inching towards Pawlenty?

Is McCain inching toward Pawlenty?

Is McCain inching toward Pawlenty?

ROCHESTER, New Hampshire (CNN) - It's VP tea leaf reading season, and a Republican source who attended a small private meeting with John McCain Tuesday in New Hampshire tells CNN that the GOP candidate dropped a serious hint about Minnesota Governor Tim Pawlenty.

The Republican source said "out of the blue" McCain told the gathering that he thinks they are "really going to like" Pawlenty.

CNN's Political Market: Pawlenty's stock on the rise

This GOP source noted that McCain also said nice things about Mitt Romney, Mike Huckabee and Rudy Giuliani, but those appeared to be standard lines he says about former rivals.

This source said McCain may have been talking about Pawlenty because the meeting was with New Hampshire GOP delegates, and the Republican convention is in Pawlenty's state.

But this source said McCain's praise was effusive, and noteworthy because it appeared to come "totally out of left field."

Pawlenty is a long-time supporter of McCain's. He's from a swing state with considerable support across the Republican Party, including evangelicals, and has always been thought by Republican strategists to be on McCain's short list.

The Minnesota governor, who is visiting Washington, was at McCain headquarters in Virginia today for meetings, according to a McCain aide.

Filed under: John McCain
  1. Nathan Cerruti

If there is any better proof of libtards circling the wagon around the liberal media in the tank for Obama, its here on CNN. Kudos lefties... for proving this by all your comments here on the Communist News Network!

And no I don't expect this to get posted because you don't like FREEDOM of SPEECH when it comes out of anybody not goose stepping to George Soros...hahahahahahahh!!

Comments are moderated by CNN, in accordance with the CNN Comment Policy, and may not appear on this blog until they have been reviewed and deemed appropriate for posting. Also, due to the volume of comments we receive, not all comments will be posted.

July 23, 2008 11:16 am at 11:16 am |
  2. Dimslie

It doesn't matter. Once the electorate focuses on Kingfish Wright and the full cast of characters back at the the Trinity branch of the Mystic Knights of the Sea, Obama is toast.

July 23, 2008 11:16 am at 11:16 am |
  3. Concerned American

I can agree. McCain is doing the same thing as Hillary claiming that the media is in love with Obama-wrong. Remember what happened to her when she cried the same cry you are crying now, McCain. But anywho, let's focus on the issues that affects us all-economy, housing and national security.

July 23, 2008 11:16 am at 11:16 am |
  4. Realistic

Semper – It's experience stupid! Since Obama sat in a racist church for 20 years you fans have lost the right to use the race card.

July 23, 2008 11:17 am at 11:17 am |
  5. KPNunn

Semper Fi...Are you honestly having a difficult time wrapping your brain around the fact that b. hussein is only a few points ahead of McCain despite the slow economy, war, etc? The democrats took back control of congress a few years ago and now have the lowest approval rating in the history of the nation. I have not heard very much about race at all other than that coming from the left-wing (mainstream) media...people so despicable, I often wonder how they can look themselves in a mirror. It's all perception and the msm want you to believe that 100% of the nation's problems are due to GWB and ANYTHING conservative. Quite frankly, I'm surprised a US Marine would fall for something so transparent!

July 23, 2008 11:17 am at 11:17 am |
  6. Liberty

How can Americans vote for obamamama knowing that he will increase size of goverment and taxes and regulations? Has everyone lost their mind or do they just not understand that taking from achievers and giving to nonachievers wrecks economies. Is the entire history of socialized goverment records lost on the American public? How do you think we got to be the economic superpower we are today? It was because of less goverment interference in our personal lives/businesses. If you like your job you shouldn't vote for Obama. i run a small business and when times get tight the Obamamites will be the first to get the axe. Wake up sheep!

July 23, 2008 11:17 am at 11:17 am |
  7. Seregant Major US Army (Retired)

Again, I see people just plan old being mean and nasty if you disagree with Sen. McCain that’s ok just stop all the name calling and grow up...Just for the record I will & so will 90% of the military vote for Sen. McCain because he wants to win the War of Terror and if anyone out there thinks the President creates jobs you are just plane wrong you and I create jobs by buying cars, the shoes, food, est. I don’t believe CNN will post this (I hope I am wrong)....Have Great Day!!!

Philip Booker
    Sergeant Major U.S Army (Retired)

July 23, 2008 11:18 am at 11:18 am |
  8. J.S.

T. Boone Pickens has a good energy plan and would make an excellent VP choice

July 23, 2008 11:18 am at 11:18 am |
  9. Scott

Romney will be the VP.

As for Obama, he is a clueless puppet. Perfect leader for the left wing fruit cakes who visit this forum.

July 23, 2008 11:18 am at 11:18 am |
  10. Missouri Man

I would rather McCain pick Romney or Rice. In either case just so long as that BRAIN DEAD OBAMA doesnt get in. That would be a disaster and an insult our forefathers who DID NOT build this country on socialism.

July 23, 2008 11:18 am at 11:18 am |
  11. BH

Can we have another choice for president/vice president please? Our choices are either a racist (black supremecist-read his book) or a guy who also has no clue on how to clean up King George's messes. At least he's not picking Herman Munster (Romney) to be his running mate.

My vote will be for none of the above.

Vote Anti-Incumbant this year. They all need to go!

July 23, 2008 11:19 am at 11:19 am |
  12. Warden, the Texas neo-con

What mccain needs is a real conservative on his ticket, seeing as how he isn't one. Thats the only way he's getting my vote... if not... then I may just sit this one out, and let Obama and the libs finish destroying the countries economy.

July 23, 2008 11:19 am at 11:19 am |
  13. Dimslie

The real question is who Osama bin Lightnin' is going to pick. Hillary? Dodd? Edwards? I've got to stop. My side is hurting from the laughter.

July 23, 2008 11:20 am at 11:20 am |
  14. No one's man

You commenters are so lame. Using any derogatory term you can think of and attaching it to "Mc" is not clever. "McScum, McLame, McSame, McShame, McClueless"...Oh, well, I wouldn't expect anything else from people dumb enough to fall for Obama and his shameless pandering.

July 23, 2008 11:20 am at 11:20 am |
  15. NELSON Colorado Springs, Co

Well. Mitt Romney, Mike Huckabee would be a better choice

July 23, 2008 11:21 am at 11:21 am |
  16. Angie

These are sad comments here – if you can not say anything worthwhile, please don't take up the air!
    Both McCain and Obama will pick whoever they and their campaign think it'd be best to win the White House, hopefully the vps will be the complement to each one as needed. McCain needs someone younger and who would attract the republican base. Obama needs someone with credibility and experience.

July 23, 2008 11:21 am at 11:21 am |
  17. Kpawlak

It never ceases to amaze me, the ignorance of most comments posted. None of us are qualified to make judgement on most topics especially war, (as you all sit comfortable and safe behind your monitors). It's sad when all bloggers can do is insult and be disrespectful if you don't agree. And we expect our children to have good behavior. What garbage.

July 23, 2008 11:21 am at 11:21 am |
  18. Nancy

McCain saying something that appears to come "totally out of left field" is noteworthy? Seems to me to be the norm lately.

July 23, 2008 11:22 am at 11:22 am |
  19. Littlejohn, AZ

I thought the shrub was dumb with his uh....uh....uh
    But Obama beat the shrubs record by 8 minutes.
    He can't talk without a prompter.
    Reminds me of a puppet (Pinocchio) I wonder who is pulling his strings?
    Where is Hillary when we need her????????

July 23, 2008 11:23 am at 11:23 am |
  20. de clapsale

I for one don't have a candidate, no one talking has said anything to earn my vote. Can't get elected without us independents and we aren't part of the follow me crowd. Obama is a looser because he talks tooooooo much and McCai is a big part of the one world club.

July 23, 2008 11:25 am at 11:25 am |
  21. jj

THE ONLY QUESTION I AND EVERYONE ELSE HAS ABOUT PAWLENTY IS, WHO ARE YOU? I AM ONE WHO WILL HAVE TO HOLD MY BREATH TO VOTE FOR MCCAIN. THE BEST THING I CAN REALLY SAY ABOUT HIM POTENTIALLY WINNING IS THAT NOW HE WOULD BE EVERYBODYS PROBLEM NOT JUST OURS IN AZ. I WILL RECOMMEND ROMNEY FOR VEEP EVEN THOUGH IT REALLY DOESNT MATTER. THEY DONT DO ANYTHING IF THEY DONT WANT TO. I WOULDNT MIND BEING THE VEEP EVEN THOUGH I AM JUST A REGULAR AMERICAN. I COULD PROBABLY IMPROVE MY GOLF GAME.

July 23, 2008 11:26 am at 11:26 am |
  22. Jim, CA

Obama is getting twice the TV time McCain is getting. He has twice the funding.

Why is he losing ground to McCain?

Obama can't pick a spot and stand his ground because his base doesn't know what they want. He doesn't seem to have his own message.
    McCain knows what he needs to do. Most people believe he has the experience to do the job. Plus McCain is trustworthy. Obama seems a little less trustworthy.

July 23, 2008 11:26 am at 11:26 am |
  23. Minnesota

Have you noticed that the entries from MN are all from people looking forward to getting Pawlenty out of MN? The only problem is that we would then have the Lt. Gov. who isn't really an improvement but you have to start somewhere.

July 23, 2008 11:27 am at 11:27 am |
  24. LSUdabest

Wisconsin:

McSame is pathetic but much better than Barry "Hussien Ossama Bin" O'Bama. Get over yourself and your pathetic-liberal do-nothing state. The only thing Wis-Con-Sin produces is EXTREMELY white and EXTREMELY overweight people with annoying accents.

No wonder Brett Favre is sick of Green Gay and their lard eating fans. By the way you can't spell Badgers with a B...A...D.

Gummnet cheese anyone...

GEAUX TIGERS!!!!!!!

July 23, 2008 11:28 am at 11:28 am |
  25. kendall

No he's not.

he's playing politics and trying to steal the media attention from Obama,

His pick is Romney, if he's smart

July 23, 2008 11:28 am at 11:28 am |